ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs I guess at this point, it all comes down to Branden Albert. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271685)

Direckshun 04-02-2013 06:59 AM

I guess at this point, it all comes down to Branden Albert.

Just some Chiefs-related rambling this morning. Take it or leave it.

If the team can't sign Branden Albert, or if they trade him, I have worlds of trouble figuring out how they draft anybody but Joeckel/Fisher at 1.1, even if they find a way to trade down, which I now suspect they will.

I'm obviously just one of you guys, but I do follow this shit pretty much every day. I'd say if they ink Albert longterm, that's the only way you avoid going tackle.

Put it like this. Chances of going Joeckel/Fisher:
  • option A: they ink Albert long-term: 5%.
  • option B: if they keep Albert on the franchise tag: 75%.
  • option C: if they trade Albert away: 100%.
I just can't see any scenerio where we choose to let Albert go and they choose to go with Geno or either of the passrushers (Jordan or Ansah) that they obviously like a lot. I can see it happen with Albert on the tag, but even that's hard to see as they'd probably just love bookending Joeckel with Albert for a year before sliding Joeckel over to LT.

Here's the problem with that option, and why I think options A or C are the only viable solutions: if the team is incapable of landing a 2nd rounder for Albert in the 2013 draft, than the best they can hope for outside of doing this whole ordeal again in 2014 is a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2015. That's the deal: a 2nd rounder in 2013, or a 3rd rounder in 2015. That's why the Chiefs are trying to get rid of Albert now.

The fact Albert isn't showing up for practice, the only player to do so, is pretty damning as well. That shows option C to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the lead. Option A is far behind, and I don't even think option B has left the gates -- I simply don't regard it as a possibility.

The silver lining of all that, however, is the cap space. Losing Albert, much as I would hate it, means that we can replace him with Joeckel/Fisher and still have $10million in cap space to play with either this year or roll it over to 2014 for god knows who. And the player replacing Albert, at least, will be younger and cheaper for at least five years. So there's that.

What are the odds that Albert comes down on his contract demands if the Chiefs can't find adequate trade compensation? Perhaps Albert can take that as a sign, and just take a more manageable deal instead of initiating a year-plus contract battle with the Chiefs, playing under a one-year deal.

As for the non-tackle options with our 1st round pick, which I simply don't regard as a large possibility at this point: if the Chiefs stay at #1 overall, I don't think you can take either passrusher and feel good about yourself. I think both passrushers make a ton of sense at #4 (Eagles) or #5 (Browns), but again this assumes that the Chiefs have settled in with Albert for the long haul and aren't interested in Joeckel/Fisher. So I think the 1.1 becomes Geno Smith if, and only if, the Chiefs ink Albert long-term, or at least believe they will be able to do so. Any other variation: an Albert trade, or a trade down, means that Geno will not be the pick.

The Albert omens aren't good at this point. And based on some interesting observations from BossChief, I think the flurry of recent QB activity in the wake of KC hosting Geno this week means that it's come out that the Chiefs have secured a trade down partner as well. Which means I think the Chiefs are going to be trading down to #4 or #5. If that happens, if they plan on keeping Albert, I fully expect Dion Jordan or Ezekiel Ansah as heir apparents to/insurance for Tamba Hali in 2014, as I expect there will be a Dumervil-esque restructuring ordeal. If Albert's gone, well hey, they may still get Joeckel at that spot, or they'll settle for Fisher.

My guess: the Chiefs will find a trade partner for Albert, and get a 2nd rounder back in this year's draft for him, while landing another 2nd rounder in trading down from 1.1 to 1.4 or 1.5 with a team (Eagles or Browns?) who wants Geno. Like I said earlier, the good news is that we'll find a cheap, capable replacement for Albert and still have two seconds to play with.

That means two quality players with star potential, or the underrated possibility at this point that the Chiefs package those 2nd rounders and trade back into the 1st, should somebody exciting like OLB Bjoern Werner, OLB Damontre Moore, WR Justin Hunter, WR Cordarrelle Patterson, TE Tyler Eifert, or S Matt Elam falls a bit more than expected...

Like I said, just some ramblings this morning.

hometeam 04-02-2013 07:07 AM

Lets assume we draft Jokel/Fisher and trade Albert for a 2nd this year and 3rd next.

What we have effectively done is take Alex Smith with 1.1. Also, because of Smiths cap number, we also have the same amount of cap space had we say, kept Albert on the franchise tag and drafted Geno at 1.

gg.

Direckshun 04-02-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9548605)
Lets assume we draft Jokel/Fisher and trade Albert for a 2nd this year and 3rd next.

What we have effectively done is take Alex Smith with 1.1. Also, because of Smiths cap number, we also have the same amount of cap space had we say, kept Albert on the franchise tag and drafted Geno at 1.

gg.

Not necessarily.

First of all, it's unlikely we get that kind of compensation for Albert. A 2nd rounder is probably it. If you're the team trading for him, you've got to pay us AND him. That drives down our asking price to something more humble, like a 2nd this year alone.

If that's what happens, then we've essentially traded Albert for Smith.

AussieChiefsFan 04-02-2013 07:10 AM

Yes.

jd1020 04-02-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9548607)
If that's what happens, then we've essentially traded Albert for Smith.

Yup. Traded Albert + a HIGH 2nd + a 2013 conditional 3rd to move down in the 2nd + Alex Smith. :thumb:

:banghead:

Cant leave out the replacement LT we'll get at 1.1 that won't upgrade the position.

:Lin:

FRCDFED 04-02-2013 07:18 AM

Trading an OL for a starting QB is a trade I'll make every day of the week.

jd1020 04-02-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRCDFED (Post 9548621)
Trading an OL for a starting QB is a trade I'll make every day of the week.

Trading one of the best LTs in the NFL for just any starting QB is a trade I likely pass on every day of the week, considering you aren't going to be getting offers from the Patriots for Brady or Packers for Rodgers.

BigRock 04-02-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9548596)
And based on some interesting observations from BossChief, I think the flurry of recent QB activity in the wake of KC hosting Geno this week means that it's come out that the Chiefs have secured a trade down partner as well.

So the Chiefs have a trade partner, multiple NFL teams know about it and are making moves in response to it, yet not a single person with the Chiefs, with the trading partner, or with any of these other teams have leaked a single word about it to anyone?

This seems somewhat unlikely.

Direckshun 04-02-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRock (Post 9548627)
So the Chiefs have a trade partner, multiple NFL teams know about it and are making moves in response to it, yet not a single person with the Chiefs, with the trading partner, or with any of these other teams have leaked a single word about it to anyone?

Eh, I can buy it.

Those in the know are operating on levels we often never know about.

FRCDFED 04-02-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9548626)
Trading one of the best LTs in the NFL for just any starting QB is a trade I likely pass on every day of the week, considering you aren't going to be getting offers from the Patriots for Brady or Packers for Rodgers.

We were 2-15 last year. No one position will effect our loss-win column more than a QB. Yes, even super all world only-allowed-one-sack Brandon Albert.

jd1020 04-02-2013 07:24 AM

So if the Chiefs have a trade partner already for the #1 pick, it's safe to assume they've already agreed on the terms of a trade, right?

What is their incentive to not trading the pick already?

suds79 04-02-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9548596)
My guess: the Chiefs will find a trade partner for Albert, and get a 2nd rounder back in this year's draft for him, while landing another 2nd rounder in trading down from 1.1 to 1.4 or 1.5 with a team (Eagles or Browns?) who wants Geno. Like I said earlier, the good news is that we'll find a cheap, capable replacement for Albert and still have two seconds to play with.

At this point, I think this is the best we can hope for.

Trade Albert for a 2nd. Trade back from 1.1 for another 2nd. Take Fisher or Joeckel and see if they can do anything exciting with those two 2nds.

The only caveat I'd throw in that senario is that if you feel Jordan or Ziggy is the going to become an elite pass rusher, I'd be okay with going that route in round 1 and figuring out LT in another way. Say 2nd? I mean is there some law that says you have to draft your LT in the first only? Again that's only if you feel you have an elite pass rusher staring you in the face.

Pass rusher I think is almost as big as a need given that you can never have enough, we only have 2, and one will be 30 this next season.

jd1020 04-02-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRCDFED (Post 9548631)
We were 2-15 last year. No one position will effect our loss-win column more than a QB. Yes, even super all world only-allowed-one-sack Brandon Albert.

Sorry. I don't give a shit about being mediocre with Alex never-gonna-take-you-to-anything-worth-a-shit Smith.

Just Passin' By 04-02-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9548642)
Sorry. I don't give a shit about being mediocre with Alex never-gonna-take-you-to-anything-worth-a-shit Smith.

If his special teams doesn't implode, Alex Smith takes the 49ers to the Super Bowl in 2011.

jd1020 04-02-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9548758)
If his special teams doesn't implode, Alex Smith takes the 49ers to the Super Bowl in 2011.

Do you honestly believe Alex Smith was the reason the 49ers were even in a position for their special teams to blow a SB appearance?

Personally, I don't believe their 29th ranked passing attack was cause for the 49ers success.

ChiefMojo 04-02-2013 08:24 AM

Alex was a big part of their success and to say otherwise is just hate!

I think it is quite clear Albert is getting traded. If their was a long term deal in the works, he would know it by now. The new regime has put very little to no effort in re-signing him long term. They moved swiftly with Bowe/Colquitt and all of their other moves have been swift with a plan.

This staling by the Chiefs brass is just leverage for trade possibilities in the draft and trying to milk more in a trade with Albert. I know from a personal perspective it sucks for Albert but this is a business move first and foremost... he is just a pawn.

Just Passin' By 04-02-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9548765)
Do you honestly believe Alex Smith was the reason the 49ers were even in a position for their special teams to blow a SB appearance?

Personally, I don't believe their 29th ranked passing attack was cause for the 49ers success.

Smith was the QB. He was on the verge of getting his team to the Super Bowl before the team's special teams crapped the bed. That runs counter to your claim. You can split the hairs any way you want, but that's how it happened.

jd1020 04-02-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9548776)
Smith was the QB. He was on the verge of getting his team to the Super Bowl before the team's special teams crapped the bed. That runs counter to your claim. You can split the hairs any way you want, but that's how it happened.

Split hairs? LMAO

You can act like Smith was leading that team all you want. That's not the case.

Crush 04-02-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRCDFED (Post 9548631)

If we replace Albert with Joeckel, Alex Smith won't even make it to the midway point.

Just Passin' By 04-02-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9548780)
Split hairs? LMAO

You can act like Smith was leading that team all you want. That's not the case.

I'm not acting like anything. I'm pointing out that your post was wrong, nothing more.

jd1020 04-02-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9548797)
I'm not acting like anything. I'm pointing out that your post was wrong, nothing more.

Point out the "wrong" part.

Did he "take" them to the SB or did he ALMOST "take" them to the SB.

If the answer is "ALMOST" then you are wrong and should stop talking.

ChiefMojo 04-02-2013 08:32 AM

That is your opinion but not fact. Others will believe that Joeckel will do more than good his rookie year. He is a very polished prospect.

jd1020 04-02-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9548773)

As much of a part of the 49ers as Trent Dilfer was to the Ravens.

ChiefMojo 04-02-2013 08:36 AM

Still was a quality part. Who was the one limiting turnovers to allow the big weapons to succeed?

Crush 04-02-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9548800)
That is your opinion but not fact. Others will believe that Joeckel will do more than good his rookie year. He is a very polished prospect.

You know who else was a very polished prospect?

http://i48.tinypic.com/11v7gpl.jpg

Crush 04-02-2013 08:44 AM

Let's not act like tackles are super safe picks.

Jason Brown, Robert Gallery, Levi Brown, Mike Williams, Kenyatta Walker, and Tony Ugoh all agree with this.

ChiefMojo 04-02-2013 08:46 AM

:facepalm:

Dave Lane 04-02-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

I'd have just a soon had Matt Flynn for a 5th in 2014

TEX 04-02-2013 08:51 AM

Direckshun,
Problem is nobody wants Geno enough to trade with the Chiefs. They're betting that he will be there when they pick. If I were in thier position, I'd be following the same strategy.

Chiefnj2 04-02-2013 08:54 AM

What exactly is it about Albert's style of play that Reid doesn't like?

ChiefMojo 04-02-2013 08:57 AM

I don't think it is totally his play but more so getting someone cheaper, younger and possibly in their opinion will be better than Albert.

BigMeatballDave 04-02-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9548884)

Where does it say this?

I was under the impression that Reid was a fan.

Ace Gunner 04-02-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9548884)

Albert can't hold blocks and it's because he lacks those type techniques.

Crush 04-02-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9548851)
:facepalm:

What? You said that Joeckel was a "very polished prospect." Everyone of those names that I gave were also "very polished prospects." The tackle is not a safe position, neither is the QB. However, the QB is much more important than a tackle. The best thing this team can do for its long-term success is taking a chance on a QB with the pick and grooming him for the future, while keeping the very good LT that it already has.

Crush 04-02-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9548903)

Yes, because QBs need at least seven to ten seconds in the pocket.

BigMeatballDave 04-02-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9548903)

:facepalm: Have you noticed the shitfest he's been protecting in KC?

patteeu 04-02-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 9548929)
What? You said that Joeckel was a "very polished prospect." Everyone of those names that I gave were also "very polished prospects." The tackle is not a safe position, neither is the QB. However, the QB is much more important than a tackle. The best thing this team can do for its long-term success is taking a chance on a QB with the pick and grooming him for the future, while keeping the very good LT that it already has.

The tackle is a safer prospect though so it's not as clear cut as you seem to be trying to make it. And in addition to that, you have to factor in the evaluation of the actual individuals you're choosing between.

The reason the tackle is safer, is because when an LT busts, you can usually turn him into a serviceable player either at RT or as a G. When a QB busts, he sits on the bench or gets drummed out of the league altogether.

Beyond that, it's possible that the Chiefs see Geno as a high bust probability and Joeckle as a low bust probability based on their individual characteristics.

Just Passin' By 04-02-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9548799)
Point out the "wrong" part.

Did he "take" them to the SB or did he ALMOST "take" them to the SB.

If the answer is "ALMOST" then you are wrong and should stop talking.

I already have. In order to get in position to be in the Super Bowl, he had to take his team to the NFCCG. It's common sense.

jd1020 04-02-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9548978)
I already have.

I guess in your mind you have.

In reality... you haven't proven anyone wrong but yourself.

Just Passin' By 04-02-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9548981)
I guess in your mind you have.

In reality... you haven't proven anyone wrong but yourself.

Ok, so it really comes down to you being an idiot. You could have saved us both some time by just admitting that.

jd1020 04-02-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9548987)
Ok, so it really comes down to you being an idiot. You could have saved us both some time by just admitting that.

Says the person saying Alex Smith lead the 49ers somewhere LMAO

Carry on. Moron.

Just Passin' By 04-02-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9548989)
Says the person saying Alex Smith lead the 49ers somewhere LMAO

Carry on. Moron.

Alex Smith got his team to the NFCCG and was a special teams collapse away from getting his team into the SB. As I said before, you can split the hairs any way you want to, but that's what happened.

jd1020 04-02-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9548993)
Alex Smith got his team to the NFCCG and was a special teams collapse away from getting his team into the SB. As I said before, you can split the hairs any way you want to, but that's what happened.

LMAO

Molitoth 04-02-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9548773)

I think it is quite clear Albert is getting traded. If their was a long term deal in the works, he would know it by now. The new regime has put very little to no effort in re-signing him long term. They moved swiftly with Bowe/Colquitt and all of their other moves have been swift with a plan.

This staling by the Chiefs brass is just leverage for trade possibilities in the draft and trying to milk more in a trade with Albert. I know from a personal perspective it sucks for Albert but this is a business move first and foremost... he is just a pawn.

Yep. Sad but true.

We are about to trade away the same guy we traded UP to get and has proven himself and wants to be here.

in exchange we will get a failed Alex Smith, and use 1.1 to draft an overrated Joekel.

Fat Elvis 04-02-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Albert, as much as I like him, is not one of the best LTs in the NFL. You're just being delusional. He is a good LT, make no mistake, but to say he is one of the best is talking with the homer glasses on.

Fat Elvis 04-02-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9548815)
As much of a part of the 49ers as Trent Dilfer was to the Ravens.

Yeah, because "upgrading" their QB from Dilfer so that they could be a dynasty worked out so well for them.

http://jeffpearlman.com/wp-content/u...16-750-941.jpg

jd1020 04-02-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9549087)
Yeah, because "upgrading" their QB from Dilfer so that they could be a dynasty worked out so well for them.

Do you have a point?

jd1020 04-02-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9549057)
Albert, as much as I like him, is not one of the best LTs in the NFL. You're just being delusional. He is a good LT, make no mistake, but to say he is one of the best is talking with the homer glasses on.

Pretty sure you are the delusional one.

He's one of the best pass blockers in the league.

Brock 04-02-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

He is one of the best. No homer bullshit here.

Ace Gunner 04-02-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9548938)
:facepalm: Have you noticed the shitfest he's been protecting in KC?

have you noticed he plays OT like a OG? Albert doesn't engage his man.

I have said many times on this board I would like Albert to remain a Chief, but I'm not gonna sugar coat him. Reid likes big OT's that hold blocks.

ct 04-02-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9548605)

gg.

No what you've done is trade Brandon Albert for Alex Smith. Then drafted Albert's replacement at 1.1 because they evaluate OT as much better draft prospect then QB.

Crush 04-02-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Who's better than Albert?

RealSNR 04-02-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9549278)
have you noticed he plays OT like a OG? Albert doesn't engage his man.

I have said many times on this board I would like Albert to remain a Chief, but I'm not gonna sugar coat him. Reid likes big OT's that hold blocks.

Then it makes zero sense to draft Joeckel, who doesn't demonstrate very often in his Texas A&M games the ability to hold blocks.

Fisher is Andy's guy if that's what he likes.

FRCDFED 04-02-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 9549681)

Apparently Joekel and/or Fisher are.

DTLB58 04-02-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRock (Post 9548627)

Plus, the Chiefs still have Geno in town today. Wouldn't that be a waste of time?

B14ckmon 04-02-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 9549681)

Eugene Monroe. Only reason why he gave up more sacks is because we had 0 running game last year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTLB58 (Post 9549722)
Plus, the Chiefs still have Geno in town today. Wouldn't that be a waste of time?

Not when it potentially leads to more draft picks.

DTLB58 04-02-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9549683)
Then it makes zero sense to draft Joeckel, who doesn't demonstrate very often in his Texas A&M games the ability to hold blocks.

Fisher is Andy's guy if that's what he likes.

Then that's fine, but it's pretty obvious this regime doesn't want Albert as their LT.

NJChiefsFan 04-02-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9548993)

I don't know if pointing out how weak he was in the NFCCG is really splitting hairs. Or pointing out that his team was stacked as hell. Alex played better in the Saints game than I thought he could. I do know that most of his play outside of that game leads me to think he isn't taking this team anywhere special, but he is a lot better than Cassel IMO. Thing is that isn't the goal. We shall see.

As TBG pointed out earlier, Reid isn't going to coddle Alex. At the very least we should see Alex's feet held to the fire.

Chief Faithful 04-02-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Can a prospect from Texas A&M really be a polished prospect?

I would rather see the Chiefs keep Albert and draft Joeckel letting him play RT as a rookie. When Albert leaves next year move Joeckel to the left side and find another RT. By then Stephenson might be ready to take the starting RT role.

FRCDFED 04-02-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTLB58 (Post 9549729)
Then that's fine, but it's pretty obvious this regime doesn't want Albert as their LT.

At least not at the price Albert thinks he's worth.

FRCDFED 04-02-2013 01:28 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if some of this is posturing to get Albert to sign a more team friendly deal. I guess we'll see how much Albert really wants to remain a Chief.

penbrook 04-02-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRCDFED (Post 9549744)
It wouldn't surprise me if some of this is posturing to get Albert to sign a more team friendly deal. I guess we'll see how much Albert really wants to remain a Chief.

Signing Albert long term would free up about 3 mil in cap space which that money will be used towards draft picks.

DTLB58 04-02-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9548638)
At this point, I think this is the best we can hope for.

Trade Albert for a 2nd. Trade back from 1.1 for another 2nd. Take Fisher or Joeckel and see if they can do anything exciting with those two 2nds.

The only caveat I'd throw in that senario is that if you feel Jordan or Ziggy is the going to become an elite pass rusher, I'd be okay with going that route in round 1 and figuring out LT in another way. Say 2nd? I mean is there some law that says you have to draft your LT in the first only? Again that's only if you feel you have an elite pass rusher staring you in the face.

Pass rusher I think is almost as big as a need given that you can never have enough, we only have 2, and one will be 30 this next season.

:clap:

@MoveTheSticks: 2nd round is going to be outstanding in this draft! Immediate starters at WR, CB, LB, DT and TE...

NJChiefsFan 04-02-2013 01:37 PM

This was part of the anger about trading for Alex. We have all been drooling about what we were going to have a chance to get at #34. If we collect picks, I wouldn't be looking to trade back into the first. I don't see many scenarios where the guy at #22 is better than the two guys we would get at #39 and #46 or something like that.

Sorter 04-02-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9549735)
I don't know if pointing out how weak he was in the NFCCG is really splitting hairs. Or pointing out that his team was stacked as hell. Alex played better in the Saints game than I thought he could. I do know that most of his play outside of that game leads me to think he isn't taking this team anywhere special, but he is a lot better than Cassel IMO. Thing is that isn't the goal. We shall see.

As TBG pointed out earlier, Reid isn't going to coddle Alex. At the very least we should see Alex's feet held to the fire.

I hate this argument.

Cassel was historically bad. Drew Stanton would have been an upgrade.

NJChiefsFan 04-02-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9549768)
I hate this argument.

Hence the next sentence.

RealSNR 04-02-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

As soon as Direckshun's bitch ass buckles down and comes up with some suitable terms for my bet with him, we'll have to see.

I happen to believe he's not nearly as polished as people think. He's just more of the same in a draft that has no elite prospects at any position.

BigMeatballDave 04-02-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9549768)
I hate this argument.

Well, Smith is better.

Of course, that doesn't mean SB appearances.

It should mean they will be a lot more competitive.

Chief Faithful 04-02-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9549776)
I happen to believe he's not nearly as polished as people think. He's just more of the same in a draft that has no elite prospects at any position.

Your not alone. I'm don't see Joeckel in the same class with other tackles taken first pick in the draft (Jake Long, Orlando Pace, Ron Yary). He may be the right pick for 1.1, but I don't believe he is as ready as the pundits are claiming. The last time a quality OT prospect from Texas A&M did well in the NFL was Rex Tucker in 1999. Next best was Corey Clark in 2008. How much is Joeckel a product of Johnny Manziel?

FRCDFED 04-02-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Faithful (Post 9549845)
Your not alone. I'm don't see Joeckel in the same class with other tackles taken first pick in the draft (Jake Long, Orlando Pace, Ron Yary). He may be the right pick for 1.1, but I don't believe he is as ready as the pundits are claiming. The last time a quality OT prospect from Texas A&M did well in the NFL was Rex Tucker in 1999. Next best was Corey Clark in 2008. How much is Joeckel a product of Johnny Manziel?

Or visa versa