ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Anybody here had Alpha Gal Syndrome ? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=339333)

ROYC75 08-07-2021 04:04 PM

Anybody here had Alpha Gal Syndrome ?

You may ask, What is alpha-gal syndrome ? (AGS)?
Alpha-gal syndrome (AGS) (also called alpha-gal allergy, red meat allergy, or tick bite meat allergy) is a serious, potentially life-threatening allergic reaction. AGS may occur after people eat red meat or are exposed to other products containing alpha-gal.

This shit can set your ass ( & body ) on FIRE!

Got bit by a tick about 2 months ago and slowly started to feel itchy, little by little. Thought it was laundry soap, the usual crap that you get allergic to.

One night 2 weeks ago I woke up in bed and literally on fire, itching like nothing I have ever felt. It was like I got into 10 different homes of chiggers, rolled around in the weeds. I dug the shit out of myself, slapping myself all over to keep from scratching. So I'm thinking, chiggers or bed bugs, I looked everywhere, even had an exterminator come check the house for bugs. I was hell bent on the chiggers approach since nobody here was having any scratching like I was .

Went to the doctor, told them what was going on. When I mentioned I got bit by a tiny freaking tick 2 months prior, they did the Alpha Gal blood test. Came back positive, can't freaking eat red meats, for that matter, almost any meats. I have to go on a Seafood diet, no not the See Food diet.

Coincidentally, my neighbor just came down with this same dammed shit.

eDave 08-07-2021 04:07 PM

I watched Scho get the meat sweats.

Bearcat 08-07-2021 04:08 PM

No red meat.... like, forever?

Fishpicker 08-07-2021 04:13 PM

sounds rough but, you're going to save a lot of money Royc75. your heart and brain will function better/longer too.

EPodolak 08-07-2021 04:14 PM

Weird thing, never heard of it.

Opposite recently happened to me, suddenly developed an allergy to some favorite seafoods, shellfish etc. Pretty sad about it.

Yosef_Malkovitch 08-07-2021 04:15 PM

My wife has it. Getting it completely changed her life (and mine by extension). Sadly, it's not as simple as just "don't eat steak or hamburger anymore." You have no idea how much stuff has animal products in it. She has to look at everything--from her shampoo to her medications--to make sure there are no animal products.

One good thing, I guess: my diet is much better now. We eat a lot of vegan meals. Sometimes though I just have to leave the house and go get a cheeseburger.

ROYC75 08-07-2021 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yosef_Malkovitch (Post 15774404)
My wife has it. Getting it completely changed her life (and mine by extension). Sadly, it's not as simple as just "don't eat steak or hamburger anymore." You have no idea how much stuff has animal products in it. She has to look at everything--from her shampoo to her medications--to make sure there are no animal products.

One good thing, I guess: my diet is much better now. We eat a lot of vegan meals. Sometimes though I just have to leave the house and go get a cheeseburger.

No shit, it's going to affect a lot of my medications, they are checking to see if the stent I have in my heart from 2007 is in play here.

I literally have no idea WTF I am going to eat! I do like some, maybe most seafood, but everybody here does not.

I just found this shit out yesterday and already what a change in your life it is!

Donger 08-07-2021 04:29 PM

Katipan is a friend, yes.

Bearcat 08-07-2021 04:35 PM

I'm never entering the yellow zone again unless the Chiefs are hosting an AFCCG.

https://mk0insideclimats3pe4.kinstac...rTick529px.png

Bob Dole 08-07-2021 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EPodolak (Post 15774402)
Weird thing, never heard of it.

Opposite recently happened to me, suddenly developed an allergy to some favorite seafoods, shellfish etc. Pretty sad about it.

Just carry your EpiPen and dine on.

An employee and I went to a week-long business conference and went out to eat the first night. I ordered a delicious shrimp appetizer I'd had before to share. The guy orders a shrimp variety platter. About half wat through the meal, he's pretty green around the gills. I ask if he's okay and he said he left his pen at the hotel.

Why the hell are you eating shrimp if you're allergic to shellfish, I ask.

Because it's delicious! was his reply.

KS Smitty 08-07-2021 04:54 PM

Damn Roy, if it ain't one thing it's another with you.

I know a person that has it and I know of others. You can go into anapylactic shock, it's just crazy!

I hope it all works out for you.

Rain Man 08-07-2021 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yosef_Malkovitch (Post 15774404)

Wow.

I've heard of this but didn't know anyone who's had it. We should abandon any geographic area with ticks. Just let them have it. Between this stuff, spotted fever, and lyme, it's time for us to admit defeat.

Hamwallet 08-07-2021 05:01 PM

I know a few people that have had it. It will eventually go away, but my cousin and her kids…. It took about 7-8 years…

ChiliConCarnage 08-07-2021 05:06 PM

That's one hell of a side effect from a tick bite. Sheesh, that'd be rough

wazu 08-07-2021 05:13 PM

Yep, a friend of mine had the same thing happen. This is becoming common and it SUCKS! Especially for those who like to go outdoors. When we go to scout camp we treat our clothes with Permethrin and so far have had pretty good luck.

Really sorry this happened to you Roy.