ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Playoff Seedings (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=324389)

Lprechaun 08-09-2019 05:17 PM

Playoff Seedings

With the recent discussions about weak divisions and their winners I had a thought about season record being your first determining factor in seedings.
As in a wild card team could take spots 2-4 if they had a better record than the division winners.
It seems to not be very common at all, last year the Chargers would have had the 2 seed.
I think its worth a discussion though. The teams that win the division would be guaranteed a playoff spot , however only the actual two top teams would get the 1 and 2 seeds.
Rewarding the tougher divisions who might have that happen while penalizing weaker divisions by requiring them to possibly play an extra playoff game by missing the chance at the bye.

FlaChief58 08-09-2019 05:40 PM

There have been rumblings of this every time we have a 8 win team with a higher seed than a 12 win team. I'd be all for it until the Chiefs get the 6th seed instead of the 3rd.

jjchieffan 08-09-2019 05:46 PM

It'll never happen, but I think that it's the way that it should be. Frankly, I wish that they would select playoff teams solely on record. If your whole division is crappy and you can win it with an 8-8 record, I don't believe that you should be rewarded with a playoff sport or a home game over a 12-4, 11-5, 10-6, or whatever team that was in the same conference as the number 1 seed. The Chargers are a good example. They were clearly the better team than the Ravens. That game should have been in LA.

lcarus 08-09-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 14387319)
It'll never happen, but I think that it's the way that it should be. Frankly, I wish that they would select playoff teams solely on record. If your whole division is crappy and you can win it with an 8-8 record, I don't believe that you should be rewarded with a playoff sport or a home game over a 12-4, 11-5, 10-6, or whatever team that was in the same conference as the number 1 seed. The Chargers are a good example. They were clearly the better team than the Ravens. That game should have been in LA.

I like the idea of division winners being guaranteed a playoff spot. That way winning your division still means something. But otherwise, overall record should determine seeding. It's dumb that a 8-8 team can host a playoff game against a 12-4 team that just happened to play in the same division as a 13-3 team.

Lprechaun 08-09-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 14387309)
There have been rumblings of this every time we have a 8 win team with a higher seed than a 12 win team. I'd be all for it until the Chiefs get the 6th seed instead of the 3rd.

I only looked over the AFC, it doesnt seem to be an issue there. The NFC has that issue a lot more I think.

Lprechaun 08-09-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 14387329)
I like the idea of division winners being guaranteed a playoff spot. That way winning your division still means something. But otherwise, overall record should determine seeding. It's dumb that a 8-8 team can host a playoff game against a 12-4 team that just happened to play in the same division as a 13-3 team.

Yeah divisions need to mean something for sure.

FlaChief58 08-09-2019 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lprechaun (Post 14387332)
I only looked over the AFC, it doesnt seem to be an issue there. The NFC has that issue a lot more I think.

It literally just happened last year to the Chargers

Lprechaun 08-09-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 14387337)
It literally just happened last year to the Chargers

Yeah I said that in the OP.
It actually hadn't in the AFC for quite awhile before that. And it was only a 1 game difference.

Coogs 08-09-2019 06:14 PM

For the first time since maybe Montana was QB'ing the Chiefs, I really don't care where we fall in the 1-6 slots. I don't think any team is going to want to face Mahomes in the playoffs, home or away. Just get in to the field of 6. We will be battle tested with our schedule.

Lprechaun 08-09-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 14387367)
For the first time since maybe Montana was QB'ing the Chiefs, I really don't care where we fall in the 1-6 slots. I don't think any team is going to want to face Mahomes in the playoffs, home or away. Just get in to the field of 6. We will be battle tested with our schedule.

When I was thinking about this i thought maybe I dont want to open this can of worms for my team.... then realized I really dont think it will affect us.