ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU ***** Official 2017-2018 Kansas Basketball Repository Thread ***** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306987)

ROYC75 11-14-2017 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13217391)
It would have been embarrassing.

Shades of UK and Davis kicking our asses!

Buehler445 11-14-2017 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 13217392)
I think Udoka is this team's best player. He's more polished offensively than anybody has given him credit for and he's quite good defensively (helping at all the right times and changing shots). It's really too bad he's horrific at FTs.

It will be interesting to see how he does against a big that knows how to defend.

Tennessee state defended him far better than UK.

O.city 11-14-2017 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13217399)
I wish they'd either do it right before conference or half way through conference play to break it up.

Yeah

It's tough with travel I'd imagine

BigRedChief 11-14-2017 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 13217395)
Also have to remember we're only playing 7 guys tonight, they're exhausted

so no overtime.:)

O.city 11-14-2017 10:57 PM

My god

TambaBerry 11-14-2017 10:58 PM

Absolutely horrible

KC_Connection 11-14-2017 10:58 PM

Devonte couldn't have ****ed that up any worse. LMAO

He's no Frank Mason, unfortunately.

Dunit35 11-14-2017 10:58 PM

Graham is clearly no Mason.

TambaBerry 11-14-2017 10:58 PM

Two timeouts self come on

Reerun_KC 11-14-2017 10:58 PM

Cal giving Self coaching lessons tonight.

KC_Connection 11-14-2017 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13217404)
It will be interesting to see how he does against a big that knows how to defend.

Tennessee state defended him far better than UK.

I'd double him for sure. I don't think many guys in the NCAA will be able to guard him in the post one on one. He's absolutely massive.

The question will become whether he can pass effectively out of those doubles and create open shots for the rest of them.

O.city 11-14-2017 10:59 PM

Graham Newman and Vick at 11-41

That's hard to do

Buehler445 11-14-2017 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13217405)
Yeah

It's tough with travel I'd imagine

I know, but it would be so much better basketball and a far better representation of each team. Grab a long week for the teams and get it done.

Besides, Chicago is closer than Morgantown.

Buehler445 11-14-2017 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 13217410)
Devonte couldn't have ****ed that up any worse. LMAO

He's no Frank Mason, unfortunately.

Yeah, I don't think even the most ardent Mason hater (Prison Bitch) could look past his contribution seeing this.

I tried to soak up every minute of Frank. He was special.

O.city 11-14-2017 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13217417)
I know, but it would be so much better basketball and a far better representation of each team. Grab a long week for the teams and get it done.

Besides, Chicago is closer than Morgantown.

For sure

I actually wish I'd have looked into making the trip

Chicago is fun as ****

TambaBerry 11-14-2017 11:02 PM

No box out huh guys

Buehler445 11-14-2017 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 13217414)
I'd double him for sure. I don't think many guys in the NCAA will be able to guard him in the post one on one. He's absolutely massive.

The question will become whether he can pass effectively out of those doubles and create open shots for the rest of them.

I think there will be teams that can compete 1-1 with him, but they have to know how to defend the post. UK obviously doesn't, but it's a gamble, especially if the refs are touchy.

It's encouraging though. Last year he was just big. This year, he understands leverage and the passing angle.

But I'll temper my optimism until he goes up against someone that can guard. UK cannot.

Trent Green GOAT 11-14-2017 11:05 PM

Guards were brutal the whole ****ing game. They need to feed doke more.

BigRedChief 11-14-2017 11:09 PM

Well I don't think we can shoot worse than that all year and we got the win against a top tier team.

BigRedChief 11-14-2017 11:10 PM

FTR, l ****ing hate Grayson Allen.

Buehler445 11-14-2017 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13217434)
Well I don't think we can shoot worse than that all year and we got the win against a top tier team.

I agree. But UK was GARBAGE tonight. That effort will get us demolished.

Buehler445 11-14-2017 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13217436)

I wish people would refer to him by his given name, "Punchable Face."

And yes, he is a sister****ing dicknose.

Reerun_KC 11-14-2017 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13217436)

Everyone does. I’m sure his parents hate him too.

BigRedChief 11-14-2017 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 13217441)

ROFL

BigRedChief 11-14-2017 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13217437)
I agree. But UK was GARBAGE tonight. That effort will get us demolished.

thats the kind of play that gets you beat early in the tourney.

KC_Connection 11-14-2017 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13217428)
I think there will be teams that can compete 1-1 with him, but they have to know how to defend the post. UK obviously doesn't, but it's a gamble, especially if the refs are touchy.

It's encouraging though. Last year he was just big. This year, he understands leverage and the passing angle.

But I'll temper my optimism until he goes up against someone that can guard. UK cannot.

It's just going to be very difficult for any NCAA player to cover a 300 pound guy one on one if he actually knows how to use that size to his advantage. I expect coaches will double him regularly as the season goes on.

KC_Connection 11-14-2017 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13217434)

I don't think UK is a top tier team. Not right now anyway. KU should have won this game by 10+.

Buehler445 11-14-2017 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 13217447)
It's just going to be very difficult for any NCAA player to cover a 300 pound guy one on one if he actually knows how to use that size to his advantage. I expect coaches will double him regularly as the season goes on.

I’d agree. I haven’t looked at what the conference has for big guys. It seems like UT would always have 6 guys >6’10 but who knows what Smart has in there.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the lineup/matchups. Newman and Vick’s shots didn’t look great. Hopefully they can capitalize on it. It will be soul crushing if they double and we can’t do shit about it.

ROYC75 11-14-2017 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 13217448)
I don't think UK is a top tier team. Not right now anyway. KU should have won this game by 10+.

15 +, we got up 11 and went stupid!, Shots stopped going in, turnovers, no D!

Prison Bitch 11-14-2017 11:30 PM

Spread was -4.5 so we almost covered heh

KC_Connection 11-14-2017 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13217450)
I’d agree. I haven’t looked at what the conference has for big guys. It seems like UT would always have 6 guys >6’10 but who knows what Smart has in there.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the lineup/matchups. Newman and Vick’s shots didn’t look great. Hopefully they can capitalize on it. It will be soul crushing if they double and we can’t do shit about it.

From the little I've seen, Udoka doesn't look like a good passer so it may be possible that he won't find the shooters quick enough to capitalize on the doubles. They'll surely work with him on that a ton in practice, though.

ROYC75 11-14-2017 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 13217447)

Shots falling and they won't be able to double him, it will be pick your poison.

But tonight? We sucked after the TO up 11.

Reerun_KC 11-14-2017 11:36 PM

And by March this game will be a distant memory

BWillie 11-14-2017 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 13217441)

Based on ONLY this year alone, I do not hate Grayson Allen. But I'm sure he'll do something stupid soon, such as immature pouting, tripping, and a real nice temper tantrum.

BWillie 11-15-2017 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 13217458)
From the little I've seen, Udoka doesn't look like a good passer so it may be possible that he won't find the shooters quick enough to capitalize on the doubles. They'll surely work with him on that a ton in practice, though.

He's a bad rebounder for his size, too.

bdj23 11-15-2017 01:07 AM

As with every prime time Chiefs weeknight game this year, i missed this one too!

I hate my job.

Titty Meat 11-15-2017 01:13 AM

Anyone believe this isn't a final 4 team? This is the type of game they lose last year. Guards were shit and they still won.

ChiefsFanatic 11-15-2017 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter Libby (Post 13217510)
Anyone believe this isn't a final 4 team? This is the type of game they lose last year. Guards were shit and they still won.

#BIFM would not have lost this game, or even barely won this game. He would have fouled out at least two Kentucky players, and he wouldn't have made so many weak ass passes for turnovers. It took Indiana making a ridiculous amount of 3pointers, and overtime to beat Frank Mason last year. With #BIFM we would have won by double digits.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

farmerchief 11-15-2017 06:12 AM

Quote:

IMO, they need a whole lot of work! Graham had a horrible game driving the paint into the length of Kentucky. He reminded me of Frank Mason as a freshman who continually drove in the paint against bigger opponents and got the ball swatted in his face ALL the time! He finally learned when and how to do the task, and by his senior year, he was fantastic and delivered. Too bad Devonte doesnt have 3 more years!?

As someone eluded to earlier, reminds me of Iowa St, throw up a bunch of 3's, if they go in, we win, if not, always next week. Never being able to watch any of their "preseason" games, I hope Preston is as good as recruited, as they need some help inside. Their best hope will be if de sousa can join the team in December and give them some more inside help. Then, they may look like a final 4 team

DOK needs to work on his freethrows, obviously.

Good, quality depth, always seems to be a problem, unfortunately.

BigRedChief 11-15-2017 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13217480)

Udoka will be a NBA stud.

BigRedChief 11-15-2017 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmerchief (Post 13217539)
I hope Preston is as good as recruited, as they need some help inside. Their best hope will be if de sousa can join the team in December and give them some more inside help. Then, they may look like a final 4 team

I have a buddy who "knows" KU lets say......he's heard that Preston could be in serious trouble unless paperwork is found. Or a story "evolved". Take that for what its worth. Probably nothing but they have been right in the past.

Chiefspants 11-15-2017 07:13 AM

Odds that Preston doesn't see the court this year?

Prison Bitch 11-15-2017 07:25 AM

Quote:

Lol lol

They're 50-50 to even get out of the first weekend. They're not going to the Ff. (Not that they matter anyway per KCConnect)

Dartgod 11-15-2017 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 13217169)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Billy Preston will not play tonight vs. Kentucky. Coach Bill Self’s full statement: <a href="https://t.co/6gTo8OlSM8">pic.twitter.com/6gTo8OlSM8</a></p>&mdash; Kansas Basketball (@KUHoops) <a href="https://twitter.com/KUHoops/status/930608678096564224?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 15, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So what's the deal here? Was he driving a car that he "borrowed" from a booster?

Buehler445 11-15-2017 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 13217560)
Odds that Preston doesn't see the court this year?

80/20 he misses the thing.

Prison Bitch 11-15-2017 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13217576)
So what's the deal here? Was he driving a car that he "borrowed" from a booster?

Scoot that way, troll>>>>>>

Dartgod 11-15-2017 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 13217579)
Scoot that way, troll>>>>>>

It's a legit question, not trolling. I saw something about this mentioned on the news last night and this morning and thought I'd ask those that follow the team what they know.

I'm genuinely curious.

dlphg9 11-15-2017 08:48 AM

Kansas fans are a real whiny bunch

Buehler445 11-15-2017 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13217576)

I’d guess. Who knows. I wish he was on the court. Lord knows Lightfoot isn’t the guy, but I’m glad Self is following the rules.

And my understanding is Self notifies the AD and they are the ones that have to get to the bottom of it. But I don’t know shit.

Mr. Plow 11-15-2017 09:29 AM

I'm still confused why they didn't go into Azubuike every time down the floor. Nobody on UK could guard him.

That UK team does not look all that good.

KCCHIEFS27 11-15-2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 13217725)
I'm still confused why they didn't go into Azubuike every time down the floor. Nobody on UK could guard him.

Honestly, it doesn't look like Udoka truly understands how to position himself in the post while the ball is being passed around the perimeter. He just pushes and grinds up against his defender and sometimes he'll unknowingly get them on his topside. He's still learning though. And even with those limits the ball should have been thrown in to him way more than it was last night.

Also, these young UK teams never really look good for atleast half the season, if not longer. But then they become dangerous come tournament time. Calipari has done this so much with these young teams that it is second hand nature for him.

Prison Bitch 11-15-2017 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 13217725)

Because Newman and Graham love to shoot

BWillie 11-15-2017 10:09 AM

Pretty disappointed with our shot selection, but Kentucky had alot to do with that. KU got frustrated because they were driving on UK with ease and couldn't finish in the lane or by the rim so they started to resort to just jacking up bad shots. Kentucky is LOOONG. That can become an elite defensive team, but UK can't shoot for shit. I really think a 3 or 4 seed is their ceiling.

All in all, we were favored by 4, we won by 4 and we didn't even have Preston. Either way, worst case scenario Preston is out indefinitely we get De Sousa who is probably more suited to play Bill Self ball right away.

Newman does not look like an NBA guard to me. Sorry. Just doesn't have the athleticism, doesn't really do anything well, just alot of things good. He is the type of player who is a really good college player by his senior year, then goes and plays in europe for a long time.

Graham was suuuuper sloppy passing the ball. He is a great passer, the best passer we have had since Aaron Miles, but sometimes he's lazy. He will still avg 6+ apg a game, I just hope he can keep the TOs down.

I really loved Vicks hustle. He's literally the only guy on our team that goes after his own shot. When he missed his own floater, and still went after it over two UK big men.Was able to kick it out for an open 3 to Newman at the end, that sealed the game. With that said, he's good for at least 2 boneheaded midrange shots a game.

Udoka I don't know what to think yet. Realllllly disappointing by his rebounding but he is powerful, can block shots, and seems to be able to score better than expected.

Lightfoot just has no basketball skills. Bouncing and athletic, cannot do anything else.

Garrett is such an interesting player. I actually really like him as a 4 man similar to how Josh Jackson played last year. He can't score like Jackson, but he does the rest of the little things.

Clay Young. I hope he's ready for a few minutes a game with Preston out.

Fansy the Famous Bard 11-15-2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13217808)
Pretty disappointed with our shot selection, but Kentucky had alot to do with that. KU got frustrated because they were driving on UK with ease and couldn't finish in the lane or by the rim so they started to resort to just jacking up bad shots. Kentucky is LOOONG. That can become an elite defensive team, but UK can't shoot for shit. I really think a 3 or 4 seed is their ceiling.

All in all, we were favored by 4, we won by 4 and we didn't even have Preston. Either way, worst case scenario Preston is out indefinitely we get De Sousa who is probably more suited to play Bill Self ball right away.

Newman does not look like an NBA guard to me. Sorry. Just doesn't have the athleticism, doesn't really do anything well, just alot of things good. He is the type of player who is a really good college player by his senior year, then goes and plays in europe for a long time.

Graham was suuuuper sloppy passing the ball. He is a great passer, the best passer we have had since Aaron Miles, but sometimes he's lazy. He will still avg 6+ apg a game, I just hope he can keep the TOs down.

I really loved Vicks hustle. He's literally the only guy on our team that goes after his own shot. When he missed his own floater, and still went after it over two UK big men.Was able to kick it out for an open 3 to Newman at the end, that sealed the game. With that said, he's good for at least 2 boneheaded midrange shots a game.

Udoka I don't know what to think yet. Realllllly disappointing by his rebounding but he is powerful, can block shots, and seems to be able to score better than expected.

Lightfoot just has no basketball skills. Bouncing and athletic, cannot do anything else.

Garrett is such an interesting player. I actually really like him as a 4 man similar to how Josh Jackson played last year. He can't score like Jackson, but he does the rest of the little things.

Clay Young. I hope he's ready for a few minutes a game with Preston out.

Newman honestly reminds me of Josh Selby even with the way he runs.

Lightfoot I wouldn't even call athletic. He went to shoot a bunny last night in traffic and his feet never even left the ground. He looked like a child last night.

Graham seems aloof on the court at times. As if he's going for style points rather than putting forth full effort - hence the ridiculous turnovers. The style will come with success, son. Keep playing hard. He certainly doesn't have a great feel for finishing in traffic, which we got spoiled having Mason doing that with ease.

Season at this point is looking like it'll go about as far as Svi and Vick can shoot us.

Pretty spot on perspective of Udoka. He's got great leverage and seemingly soft hands. Loves sealing and taking that lob, but that seemed to be about all he was capable of offensively. if he has his back to a defender in the future, he's gonna struggle to score... teams will figure that out and force him to actually do something other than catch-and-dunk. Was really surprised UK kept letting him get that position in the second half, you could see the UK assistant coaches screaming at the players each time... and Calipari giving the shrug

http://media.masslive.com/my_wide_wo...9f9c_large.jpg

speaking of Calipari, the desire to punch him in the face has yet to fade.

BWillie 11-15-2017 10:37 AM

Looks like KU is almost a lock to get Quentin Grimes today. Announcing around 6:30 pm. Top 10-15 combo guard from The Woodlands, TX.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...quentin-grimes

Fansy the Famous Bard 11-15-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13217854)
Looks like KU is almost a lock to get Quentin Grimes today. Announcing around 6:30 pm. Top 10-15 combo guard from The Woodlands, TX.

Kid has a disgusting midrange game.

Buehler445 11-15-2017 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahrenheit (Post 13217936)
Kid has a disgusting midrange game.

Good to hear. I was just thinking the other day that the midrange shots are all but gone from college ball. Everything is either from 3 or at the rim. I'll take a good look from 12 feet than a contested shot at the rim. Especially at the end of the game when refs don't want to impact the outcome.

sedated 11-15-2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13218215)
I was just thinking the other day that the midrange shots are all but gone from college ball. Everything is either from 3 or at the rim.

There's a reason the game has shifted that way - because it's smart.

Buehler445 11-15-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 13218226)
There's a reason the game has shifted that way - because it's smart.

Kind of. Like I said. Most times a good look from 12 feet is more efficient than a contested shot at the rim. If a kid can beat everyone at the bucket, sure. But these days you’re not guaranteed a foul. And some kids are good enough to score at the bucket in high school but not in college.

Part of the problem is that in high school these kids are so much better than their competition that they can get to the rim whenever they want so they don’t have to learn much for skill. Whereas in college they would be better served with a midrange game. Add in the college coaches don’t get a hell of a lot of practice time with them and most of that time I’m sure is hobbled up teaching the kid to operate an acceptable offense and defense.

Same with post moves. Nobody comes out of high school able to make a post move. I had to spend a bunch of time learning post moves because I wasn’t good enough to score without one. And a lot of these kids would be better served having some skill rather than another 20 quarters of AAU ball.

BWillie 11-15-2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Good to hear. I was just thinking the other day that the midrange shots are all but gone from college ball. Everything is either from 3 or at the rim. I'll take a good look from 12 feet than a contested shot at the rim. Especially at the end of the game when refs don't want to impact the outcome.

I don't think I would. There is not much of a need to EVER shoot a mid range shot unless the shot clock is 5 or less, and it is last resort.

A contested look at the basket is better than a mid range shot because you are probably 15x times more likely to get fouled, get an and one, or just get free throws.

I think a strategy of either shooting 3's or shots right at the rim, is a good one.

Fansy the Famous Bard 11-15-2017 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13218355)
I don't think I would. There is not much of a need to EVER shoot a mid range shot unless the shot clock is 5 or less, and it is last resort.

A contested look at the basket is better than a mid range shot because you are probably 15x times more likely to get fouled, get an and one, or just get free throws.

I think a strategy of either shooting 3's or shots right at the rim, is a good one.

Last night's game should be a Huge neon sign saying "PLEASE LOOK AT ME" where a mid-range game can still be extremely important. KU could not get to the rim outside Udoka... because of the length of Kentucky. KU was not hitting the outside shots.... A midrange game fills that gap when playing against a lengthier more athletic team able to negate your rim game. The guards were getting into the lanes, but they took it to the nose of the defense and it did not work.

BWillie 11-15-2017 03:48 PM

Good news non Time Warner or Comcast subscribers

KMCI, 38 the Spot to simulcast 8 KU basketball games

http://www.kshb.com/sports/kmci-tv-t...ketball-games-

ArrowheadHawk 11-15-2017 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13218447)
Good news non Time Warner or Comcast subscribers

KMCI, 38 the Spot to simulcast 8 KU basketball games

http://www.kshb.com/sports/kmci-tv-t...ketball-games-

I need a Topeka station to do this.

BigRedChief 11-15-2017 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13217854)

damn that 2018 class is looking good.

Most sites say it's 100% Kansas

Grimes is regarded as the No. 2 combo guard and the No. 16 overall player in the 247Sports player rankings.

BWillie 11-15-2017 06:54 PM

Quentin Grimes has officially committed to Kansas during his high school teams pep ceremony. Top 15, 5-star player in 2018 class.

Bill Self is a god, or thee God. I'm not quite sure.

Pasta Little Brioni 11-15-2017 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13218740)
Quentin Grimes has officially committed to Kansas during his high school teams pep ceremony. Top 15, 5-star player in 2018 class.

Bill Self is a god, or thee God. I'm not quite sure.

$$$$$$$$$

Trent Green GOAT 11-15-2017 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 13218749)
$$$$$$$$$

Bill self Is money, I agree.

Mr. Plow 11-15-2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

$$$$$$$$$

Dumbass.

BWillie 11-15-2017 07:24 PM

Quote:

$$$$$$$$$

Or his mom may have went to KU. Could have something to do with it. Just maybe.

Reerun_KC 11-15-2017 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 13218784)
Why do people still respond to trolls?

There isn’t a poster that adds less to this forum than PGM.

excessive 11-15-2017 07:32 PM

Definitely buying this. Merry Xmas to myself. On sale 11/24 at Rally House

http://kuhoops.com/ku-basketball-news/184549703/

An excerpt from a new book on KU basketball’s Big 12 conference title streak

VIEW 2 PHOTOS

November 14, 2017
By Gary Bedore gbedore@kcstar.com

Former Kansas City Star sports writer Jason King of Bleacher Report has written a 512-page book about KU’s 13 straight Big 12 Conference titles entitled: “Beyond the Streak: Untold Stories from Kansas Basketball’s Unrivaled Big 12 Reign.”

The book features thoughts and reflections from 107 Kansas players and coaches — and also many of KU’s opponents. Each of the Jayhawks’ 13 championship seasons has its own chapter, with many of the most memorable games examined.

Included in the book is an oral history of the final “Border War” game at Allen Fieldhouse in 2012.

“What I thought would be a fun summer project ended up dominating my life for five months,” King said. “It was worth it, though. What KU is doing right now is something we’ll never see again. It needed to be commemorated in book form. And selfishly, I had a lot of fun catching up with so many of the guys I used to cover,” added King, who covered KU basketball for The Star for several years and also worked covering college hoops for Yahoo! Sports, ESPN as well as his current position at Bleacher Report and Turner Sports.

King in interviewing subjects traveled to Los Angeles to speak with Thomas Robinson and Philadelphia to check in with Marcus Morris. There was a trip to Houston for dinner with Mario Chalmers and a road trip to Memphis with contributing writer C.J. Moore to meet with Ben McLemore and Wayne Selden.

Almost all of the interviews lasted 45 minutes or longer. Sherron Collins, Tyshawn Taylor and Elijah Johnson talked for more than an hour-and-a-half, King stated.

“Guys like Sherron and Tyshawn and Keith Langford and Russell Robinson are a writer’s dream,” King said. “But I knew they’d be good. Two guys that surprised me were Wayne Selden and Thomas Robinson — simply because they never seemed to enjoy being interviewed in college.

“C.J. Moore interviewed Wayne in Memphis at the same time I was interviewing Ben McLemore about 20 feet away. Each time I looked across the room, Selden was laughing and getting animated. He seems like he’s in a really happy place in life right now (with NBA’s Grizzlies) which is good to see. And Thomas … wow. He just really opened up. I’ll leave it at that. It was a very moving interview that made me see him in a completely different light.”

King quoted coaches Fred Hoiberg, Rick Barnes, Frank Martin, Scott Drew, Bruce Weber, Frank Haith and Bob Huggins as well as players Jacob Pullen, Georges Niang, A.J. Abrams, Pierre Jackson, Kim English, Marcus Denmon, Phil Forte — and NBA all-star Kevin Durant, who played for Texas.

“I met with Durant the day after the ESPYs in his hotel suite in Augusta, South Carolina,” King said. “He was there for the Peach Jam. Literally all we talked about was the 2007 game at Allen Fieldhouse. He genuinely seemed to enjoy the interview. He remembered every KU player, specific plays from the game and who was guarding him. It was amazing.”

“Beyond the Streak” will be available at local Rally House stores beginning Nov. 24. Details about book signings will be available later this week on kubook.net, where the book can also be purchased.

book

An excerpt from the book about the KU-Texas game —which KU won over Durant’s Longhorns, 90-86, in 2007 — appears below.

From “Beyond the Streak: Untold Stories from Kansas Basketball’s Unrivaled Big 12 Reign.”

Russell Robinson: “In the back of my mind I was thinking, ‘Sure, he (Durant) has been playing really well. But he’s still a freshman. The pressure of the Fieldhouse is going to get to him. The fans are going to be turned up and we’ve got a strong team with lottery picks, as well.’” We felt like we’d be fine. How much can he really do? We thought it was more about keeping guys like A.J. Abrams and D.J. Augustin from getting hot.”

Durant — the Big 12-leader in points, rebounds and blocks — opened the game by making 8 of his first 10 shots. He hit the 20-point plateau with a three-pointer at the 7:55 mark, as Texas surged to a 51-35 lead.

Russell Robinson (laughing): “Boy, did he surprise us that first half. I remember going back to the bench for a time-out. I walked in last, just as the coaches were huddling up, and I heard coach Bill Self asking coach (Joe) Dooley, ‘What are we going to do with this guy?’ Dooley was speechless for a minute, and then he just shook his head and said, “I don’t know. I really don’t know.’”

Kevin Durant: “I was just lost in the game. I was so happy to be there and to be playing in that arena at that time against that great team.

“They had Chalmers, Shady, Julian Wright, Brandon Rush, Darnell Jackson, Russell Robinson, Sasha Kaun … they had a squad. They were all pros. I’d known Julian for a long time. He started off on me and then they switched to Brandon Rush and eventually to Darnell Jackson.

“My first shot went in and, from there, my confidence level kept rising and rising and I was able to knock down some shots.

“It was fun, man. It was fun to look over and see coach Self shaking his head and to hear the crowd get quiet when we built that lead. We were up by 16 at one point. To suck the air out of that historic arena, even for a half … I’ll take that.”

Assistant coach Kurtis Townsend: “Julian Wright started off on him. He’s a good athlete and we thought he could give Durant some trouble with his length. But he was just killing Julian. He had 25 in the first half. We switched Julian off of him and gave Brandon a chance. Brandon was our best perimeter defender and we thought maybe Brandon playing underneath him would be good. That was eight minutes into the first half. I remember the next timeout Brandon came to the bench and said, ‘“I can’t guard that (bleep). He’s too big. He’s too good.’”

Assistant coach Tim Jankovich: “We started Julian on him and Durant starts shooting it from 25 feet. Then he moves back and tries to hit a shot from every logo on the court. He was making every shot.

“I look up at the 8:00 mark of the first half, maybe just under eight minutes, and they’ve got everyone’s scoring total up on the scoreboard. He had 20 points! I leaned over to Bill and whispered, ‘He’s going to get 80 on us! He’s going to score 80!’ I’ll never forget thinking, ‘Oh my God, this guy is going to come into the Fieldhouse as a freshman and hang 80 on a team that has five pros on it.’”

Assistant coach Joe Dooley: “Jank was always so positive.”

Bill Self: “At one point, I turned to Danny Manning, who’d had a decent game or two at Allen Fieldhouse during his career. I said, ‘Danny, you have any ideas?’ And he said, ‘That’s the baddest man to ever play on the this court. He’s a baaadddd man.’”

Director of Student-Athlete Development Danny Manning: “You always appreciate guys that are able to do things you hardly ever see. You can’t help but marvel at talent like that.

“You’d like to think you could play better defense, but he was making some tough shots. He was catching the ball, squaring guys up, jabbing them off, rising up, shooting pull-up Js and scoring at all three different levels. He was out there balling and we didn’t have anything to stop him.”

Jeremy Case: “I remember sitting in there thinking, ‘“Can anybody guard this guy?’ Coach Self’s like, ‘OK, Julian, you try to guard him.’ He scored like five straight on Julian. ‘OK, Darnell, you try.’ I’m sitting there like, ‘We’re going to have Darnell guard him? Come on, coach, what are you thinking?’ Then he scores on Darnell. I’m like, ‘Are we going to box-and-one this dude? What are we going to do?’’’

Brandon Rush: “I didn’t know he was that good and that tall. He was killing Julian. He was tearing Julian’s (behind) up, left and right. Then it was my turn.

“Then they put me on him and, right off the bat, he hit a shot over me and he goes, ‘Uh oh, it’s about to be a long night! You’re too little!’ He was talking trash and I couldn’t say anything back. How could I? He damn near had 30 points—in the first half!”

Texas coach Rick Barnes: “The first 20 minutes of that game was the best half of basketball Kevin Durant ever played collegiately. We were isolating him and giving him the ball, just daring them to double-team him. They tried to double-team him from every possible angle you could double-team him, and he always made the right read. He got wide open shots. That first half … they had no answer. No matter what they did, he had an answer for anything.”

Reerun_KC 11-15-2017 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excessive (Post 13218790)
Definitely buying this. Merry Xmas to myself. On sale 11/24 at Rally House

http://kuhoops.com/ku-basketball-news/184549703/

An excerpt from a new book on KU basketball’s Big 12 conference title streak

VIEW 2 PHOTOS

November 14, 2017
By Gary Bedore gbedore@kcstar.com

Former Kansas City Star sports writer Jason King of Bleacher Report has written a 512-page book about KU’s 13 straight Big 12 Conference titles entitled: “Beyond the Streak: Untold Stories from Kansas Basketball’s Unrivaled Big 12 Reign.”

The book features thoughts and reflections from 107 Kansas players and coaches — and also many of KU’s opponents. Each of the Jayhawks’ 13 championship seasons has its own chapter, with many of the most memorable games examined.

Included in the book is an oral history of the final “Border War” game at Allen Fieldhouse in 2012.

“What I thought would be a fun summer project ended up dominating my life for five months,” King said. “It was worth it, though. What KU is doing right now is something we’ll never see again. It needed to be commemorated in book form. And selfishly, I had a lot of fun catching up with so many of the guys I used to cover,” added King, who covered KU basketball for The Star for several years and also worked covering college hoops for Yahoo! Sports, ESPN as well as his current position at Bleacher Report and Turner Sports.

King in interviewing subjects traveled to Los Angeles to speak with Thomas Robinson and Philadelphia to check in with Marcus Morris. There was a trip to Houston for dinner with Mario Chalmers and a road trip to Memphis with contributing writer C.J. Moore to meet with Ben McLemore and Wayne Selden.

Almost all of the interviews lasted 45 minutes or longer. Sherron Collins, Tyshawn Taylor and Elijah Johnson talked for more than an hour-and-a-half, King stated.

“Guys like Sherron and Tyshawn and Keith Langford and Russell Robinson are a writer’s dream,” King said. “But I knew they’d be good. Two guys that surprised me were Wayne Selden and Thomas Robinson — simply because they never seemed to enjoy being interviewed in college.

“C.J. Moore interviewed Wayne in Memphis at the same time I was interviewing Ben McLemore about 20 feet away. Each time I looked across the room, Selden was laughing and getting animated. He seems like he’s in a really happy place in life right now (with NBA’s Grizzlies) which is good to see. And Thomas … wow. He just really opened up. I’ll leave it at that. It was a very moving interview that made me see him in a completely different light.”

King quoted coaches Fred Hoiberg, Rick Barnes, Frank Martin, Scott Drew, Bruce Weber, Frank Haith and Bob Huggins as well as players Jacob Pullen, Georges Niang, A.J. Abrams, Pierre Jackson, Kim English, Marcus Denmon, Phil Forte — and NBA all-star Kevin Durant, who played for Texas.

“I met with Durant the day after the ESPYs in his hotel suite in Augusta, South Carolina,” King said. “He was there for the Peach Jam. Literally all we talked about was the 2007 game at Allen Fieldhouse. He genuinely seemed to enjoy the interview. He remembered every KU player, specific plays from the game and who was guarding him. It was amazing.”

“Beyond the Streak” will be available at local Rally House stores beginning Nov. 24. Details about book signings will be available later this week on kubook.net, where the book can also be purchased.

book

An excerpt from the book about the KU-Texas game —which KU won over Durant’s Longhorns, 90-86, in 2007 — appears below.

From “Beyond the Streak: Untold Stories from Kansas Basketball’s Unrivaled Big 12 Reign.”

Russell Robinson: “In the back of my mind I was thinking, ‘Sure, he (Durant) has been playing really well. But he’s still a freshman. The pressure of the Fieldhouse is going to get to him. The fans are going to be turned up and we’ve got a strong team with lottery picks, as well.’” We felt like we’d be fine. How much can he really do? We thought it was more about keeping guys like A.J. Abrams and D.J. Augustin from getting hot.”

Durant — the Big 12-leader in points, rebounds and blocks — opened the game by making 8 of his first 10 shots. He hit the 20-point plateau with a three-pointer at the 7:55 mark, as Texas surged to a 51-35 lead.

Russell Robinson (laughing): “Boy, did he surprise us that first half. I remember going back to the bench for a time-out. I walked in last, just as the coaches were huddling up, and I heard coach Bill Self asking coach (Joe) Dooley, ‘What are we going to do with this guy?’ Dooley was speechless for a minute, and then he just shook his head and said, “I don’t know. I really don’t know.’”

Kevin Durant: “I was just lost in the game. I was so happy to be there and to be playing in that arena at that time against that great team.

“They had Chalmers, Shady, Julian Wright, Brandon Rush, Darnell Jackson, Russell Robinson, Sasha Kaun … they had a squad. They were all pros. I’d known Julian for a long time. He started off on me and then they switched to Brandon Rush and eventually to Darnell Jackson.

“My first shot went in and, from there, my confidence level kept rising and rising and I was able to knock down some shots.

“It was fun, man. It was fun to look over and see coach Self shaking his head and to hear the crowd get quiet when we built that lead. We were up by 16 at one point. To suck the air out of that historic arena, even for a half … I’ll take that.”

Assistant coach Kurtis Townsend: “Julian Wright started off on him. He’s a good athlete and we thought he could give Durant some trouble with his length. But he was just killing Julian. He had 25 in the first half. We switched Julian off of him and gave Brandon a chance. Brandon was our best perimeter defender and we thought maybe Brandon playing underneath him would be good. That was eight minutes into the first half. I remember the next timeout Brandon came to the bench and said, ‘“I can’t guard that (bleep). He’s too big. He’s too good.’”

Assistant coach Tim Jankovich: “We started Julian on him and Durant starts shooting it from 25 feet. Then he moves back and tries to hit a shot from every logo on the court. He was making every shot.

“I look up at the 8:00 mark of the first half, maybe just under eight minutes, and they’ve got everyone’s scoring total up on the scoreboard. He had 20 points! I leaned over to Bill and whispered, ‘He’s going to get 80 on us! He’s going to score 80!’ I’ll never forget thinking, ‘Oh my God, this guy is going to come into the Fieldhouse as a freshman and hang 80 on a team that has five pros on it.’”

Assistant coach Joe Dooley: “Jank was always so positive.”

Bill Self: “At one point, I turned to Danny Manning, who’d had a decent game or two at Allen Fieldhouse during his career. I said, ‘Danny, you have any ideas?’ And he said, ‘That’s the baddest man to ever play on the this court. He’s a baaadddd man.’”

Director of Student-Athlete Development Danny Manning: “You always appreciate guys that are able to do things you hardly ever see. You can’t help but marvel at talent like that.

“You’d like to think you could play better defense, but he was making some tough shots. He was catching the ball, squaring guys up, jabbing them off, rising up, shooting pull-up Js and scoring at all three different levels. He was out there balling and we didn’t have anything to stop him.”

Jeremy Case: “I remember sitting in there thinking, ‘“Can anybody guard this guy?’ Coach Self’s like, ‘OK, Julian, you try to guard him.’ He scored like five straight on Julian. ‘OK, Darnell, you try.’ I’m sitting there like, ‘We’re going to have Darnell guard him? Come on, coach, what are you thinking?’ Then he scores on Darnell. I’m like, ‘Are we going to box-and-one this dude? What are we going to do?’’’

Brandon Rush: “I didn’t know he was that good and that tall. He was killing Julian. He was tearing Julian’s (behind) up, left and right. Then it was my turn.

“Then they put me on him and, right off the bat, he hit a shot over me and he goes, ‘Uh oh, it’s about to be a long night! You’re too little!’ He was talking trash and I couldn’t say anything back. How could I? He damn near had 30 points—in the first half!”

Texas coach Rick Barnes: “The first 20 minutes of that game was the best half of basketball Kevin Durant ever played collegiately. We were isolating him and giving him the ball, just daring them to double-team him. They tried to double-team him from every possible angle you could double-team him, and he always made the right read. He got wide open shots. That first half … they had no answer. No matter what they did, he had an answer for anything.”

When Robinson hit that 3 to take the lead. I thought the roof would come down. One of the greatest games ever in the field house.

Buehler445 11-15-2017 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13218355)

If you’re Kyrie Irving, yes. Not everybody has the skill/athleticism to score effectively against elite talent in the paint. Elite guys, sure. But there are a lot of guys in the NCAA that could do it effectively in high school but not at the NCAA level. They would be better players if they had a midrange game.

I mean duh, a more skilled player is better than a less skilled player but it seems the skills coming out of high school are bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahrenheit (Post 13218423)
Last night's game should be a Huge neon sign saying "PLEASE LOOK AT ME" where a mid-range game can still be extremely important. KU could not get to the rim outside Udoka... because of the length of Kentucky. KU was not hitting the outside shots.... A midrange game fills that gap when playing against a lengthier more athletic team able to negate your rim game. The guards were getting into the lanes, but they took it to the nose of the defense and it did not work.

Or this is a more articulate way of stating my point.

KC_Connection 11-15-2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

I'd rather KU take no mid range shots at all. Nobody at this level makes enough of them to make it worth it. Even if you're just jacking 3s at a 30% clip, it's better.

KC_Connection 11-15-2017 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13217480)

Bad defensive rebounder for sure. Maybe he can seal out others and let the guards grab the rebounds.

KC_Connection 11-15-2017 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahrenheit (Post 13218423)
KU could not get to the rim outside Udoka...\

Unlike Frank and JJ who penetrated regularly, they don't have any players really capable of it. Udoka will be the only guy regularly taking FTs all year, so we might end up with one of the worst FT% in NCAA.

Buehler445 11-15-2017 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 13218840)
I'd rather KU take no mid range shots at all. Nobody at this level makes enough of them to make it worth it. Even if you're just jacking 3s at a 30% clip, it's better.

That’s what I’m saying. The skills aren’t there. Just like post moves.

TLO 11-15-2017 08:21 PM

The 2018 team is going to be pretty legit.

Reerun_KC 11-15-2017 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 13218874)
The 2018 team is going to be pretty legit.

Seems that way. If we can get 2-3 years it could be another 06-08 type run.

Reerun_KC 11-15-2017 09:19 PM

https://www.facebook.com/RHCPChad/vi...6388577092371/