ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News AT&T buys Time Warner for $80 billion (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=303038)

RunKC 10-22-2016 01:54 PM

AT&T buys Time Warner for $80 billion

NY Times

AT&T has agreed to buy Time Warner for more than $80 billion, a person briefed on the matter said on Saturday
http://nyti.ms/2eizEKW

Uh oh

L.A. Chieffan 10-22-2016 02:01 PM

E-Corp

displacedinMN 10-22-2016 02:07 PM

I would guess those that have TimeWarner will be able to access Sunday Ticket next season.

I doubt it could be completed for this season.

Miles 10-22-2016 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 12499156)
I would guess those that have TimeWarner will be able to access Sunday Ticket next season.

I doubt it could be completed for this season.

Different company. This is media content like HBO, TBS, TNT and Warner Bros.

DaneMcCloud 10-22-2016 02:15 PM

I think it'll be a difficult road for them to get approval but if they don't Apple is waiting in the wings.

This is the natural order of things. OTA and cable are now moving to streaming, whether it's mobile apps or Apple TV, Roku, etc. Netflix, Amazon and Hulu have original programming, NBC and all of its networks are owned by Comcast so it makes sense for the nation's largest internet provider to have its own creative arm.

In the long run, I believe it's going to help the content providers (like me) because streaming will provide wholly accurate numbers, as opposed to Nielsen ratings, which have a little "voodoo" happening with theirs.

DaneMcCloud 10-22-2016 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 12499156)
I would guess those that have TimeWarner will be able to access Sunday Ticket next season

Time Warner Cable is owned by Charter Communications and will soon be renamed as Spectrum.

RunKC 10-22-2016 02:24 PM

Everything I'm seeing is that AT&T is trying to phase OT Uverse bc using wave links with Directv=far less cost for infrastructure and and it's already paying off big time for them by gaining more customers.

Like Dane said, streaming is becoming big. Looks like they are trying to put together a good lineup for their service to compete with the market.

eDave 10-22-2016 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12499170)
I think it'll be a difficult road for them to get approval but if they don't Apple is waiting in the wings.

This is the natural order of things. OTA and cable are now moving to streaming, whether it's mobile apps or Apple TV, Roku, etc. Netflix, Amazon and Hulu have original programming, NBC and all of its networks are owned by Comcast so it makes sense for the nation's largest internet provider to have its own creative arm.

In the long run, I believe it's going to help the content providers (like me) because streaming will provide wholly accurate numbers, as opposed to Nielsen ratings, which have a little "voodoo" happening with theirs.

Yup. This is no surprise. It will get through. I do business with neither.

Dayze 10-22-2016 02:42 PM

as long as ATT retains Time Warner's superior customer service principles, I'm all in.

displacedinMN 10-22-2016 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 12499220)
as long as ATT retains Time Warner's superior customer service principles, I'm all in.

does any communications company have superior customer service?

DaneMcCloud 10-22-2016 03:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 12499236)
does any communications company have superior customer service?

The deal does not include TWC, which is now owned by Charter.

This is for content creation, only.

Spott 10-22-2016 03:06 PM

Quote:

AT&T hates it's customers just as much as Time Warner does, so they won't have to change much.

Aspengc8 10-22-2016 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12499182)
Everything I'm seeing is that AT&T is trying to phase OT Uverse bc using wave links with Directv=far less cost for infrastructure and and it's already paying off big time for them by gaining more customers.

Like Dane said, streaming is becoming big. Looks like they are trying to put together a good lineup for their service to compete with the market.

what do you mean by "wave links"? Uverse/dsl is pretty damn cheap on cost since it can use existing copper loop.

Demonpenz 10-22-2016 04:08 PM

Cut the cord and never looked back. Greatest choice ever

Mr. Laz 10-22-2016 04:42 PM

Didn't they just buy Directv too?

How can they allow that?