ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

irishjayhawk 10-13-2007 11:31 PM

Movies

Yeah, so I saw a lot of movies this weekend.

Elizabeth: The Golden Age - Mediocre, at best. Slow and dragged on. Shorten it to 2 hours and it's golden. It's not, so it fails.

Michael Clayton - Amazing. Everything about it is awesome. However, it's VERY complex and mind bending. You have to think, so be prepared. I still feel like I'm missing key details of exactly what happened. Gotta see it again.

Across the Universe - Perfect is one word that comes to mind. It just works. And, contrary to many people I bet, the movie is best viewed sober. Trust me.

Jenson71 10-14-2007 01:15 AM

I also saw and really liked Michael Clayton. But I have a question...

Spoiler warning:

What did you think about Marty, the head of the law firm? Do you think he was a bad guy - maybe wanted Clayton and Arthur dead? There's no real indication that he is bad. In fact, there's more examples of him liking Clayton, saying how important he is to the firm, loaning him money. But something was said in that final conversation between Clayton and Karen, in which she brought up Marty, and Clayton said something like "Good, I hope you do tell Marty." And you know he was panicked when he discovered Arthur's plans, and couldn't take being sued by U-North. It just makes me wonder. I could be totally wrong, and it doesn't seem to matter to the plot really anyway.

End of spoiler.

Very solid acting, fine cinematography and very intelligent script.

Hammock Parties 10-14-2007 05:47 AM

I saw We Own The Night. It was slightly disappointing, but I enjoyed it. Robert Duvall is great.

Next I want to see Eastern Promises. There isn't anything else good out there right. Elizabeth looked good, but the reviews killed it.

runnercyclist 10-14-2007 07:39 AM

I finally saw Superbad, and it was.

irishjayhawk 10-14-2007 11:07 PM

And I just caught Into the Wild.

Man, what a powerful movie. Should be the movie, so far, to beat for Best Picture. And Emile should be nominated for Best Actor. Hell of a performance.

Frazod 10-14-2007 11:09 PM

I dedicated a thread to it last weekend, but again, as a public service, let me advise anybody that missed it that The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Bob Ford is GOD fuckING AWFUL.

irishjayhawk 10-15-2007 11:35 PM

Just saw two more rentals:

25th Hour - I loved it. Perhaps the movie with the most real characters I've seen.

The Number 23 - Horrible. As I knew. OMG, 5-2 in "25th Hour" is 3. AHHHHH!

Hopefully, I'll report on American Gangster tomorrow.

KcMizzou 10-15-2007 11:41 PM

If you like humor-horror, check out "Black Sheep" :)

Frazod 10-15-2007 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou

The commercial cracked me up. "Come and see the violence.... of the lambs."

That's awesome. LMAO

Miles 10-15-2007 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou

There was a trailer on a dvd I recently rented. Haven't heard anything about it but the preview looked fucking hilarious.

Deberg_1990 10-15-2007 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod
I dedicated a thread to it last weekend, but again, as a public service, let me advise anybody that missed it that The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Bob Ford is GOD fuckING AWFUL.

Whats amazing is, i havent seen one bad review for it until yours...

Frazod 10-16-2007 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
Whats amazing is, i havent seen one bad review for it until yours...

Keep in mind, those are the same critics who thought The Thin Red Line was good. :Lin:

Simply Red 12-26-2007 09:29 PM

Eastern Promises

was super! Rent it soon.

JBucc 12-26-2007 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red
was super! Rent it soon.

I'm going to download it tonight.

Simply Red 12-26-2007 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBucc
I'm going to download it tonight.

good deal.

DeepPurple 12-27-2007 02:50 PM

Christmas night I went to a Red Box machine and rented 'The Kingdom'. I returned it yesterday and was going to get 'Eastern Promises' but it was out of stock and I didn't feel like giving Blockbuster $4.50 since I dropped my online membership.

We have five Red Box machines within two miles of my house and I checked inventory online and they only stocked 'Eastern Promises' at three of the machines. Red Box is a company that puts $1 rental machines all around Maryland, I'm not sure what other states have them, but I just read they now have 6,000 machines because they surpassed Blockbuster in locations. They are owned by McDonalds which explains why they have machines at every restaurant in our area, and they are putting a hurt on the blockbuster a block from my house.

'The Kingdom' stars Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Garner, Chris Cooper and Jason Bateman. It's like CSI meets Jarhead, in the first 90 minutes I'd give it 6.5 Stars, but the last 30 minutes includes a shootout and chase that made me up the rating to an 8.0 and worth seeing.

GoTrav 12-27-2007 03:05 PM

I didn't like Eastern Promises that much, or I was just hoping for a lot more than what it offered. All of the good parts were captured in the preview...other than the bath house kick-boxing scene which I'd rather forget =P

DMAC 12-27-2007 03:28 PM

Rescue Dawn.
I was impressed, it was good.

Superbad
RENT IT IMMEDIATLY

28 Weeks Later
I liked it.

Planet Terror/Death Proof
Wow, there is a lot of talking. Chase scene in Death Proof is awesome. Too bad you have to listen to a bunch of bitches blabbering the whole movie to get there.

Blankey 12-27-2007 04:15 PM

I saw 3:10 to Yuma on Christmas, and it's probably my favorite of the year.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0381849/

Miles 12-27-2007 11:44 PM

Quote:

was super! Rent it soon.

Yep :thumb:

KcMizzou 12-28-2007 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blankey
I saw 3:10 to Yuma on Christmas, and it's probably my favorite of the year.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0381849/

That's a damned fine movie.

I love a well made modern western. They're rare.

Frazod 12-30-2007 11:08 PM

Watched National Treasure 2 tonight.

It is dumb. I mean really dumb.

But I knew that going in, so I didn't give a shit. As Dennis Green might say, it was what I thought it was. :D Mindless, ridiculous fun, just like the last one.

Bump 12-31-2007 05:22 PM

I just saw Planet Terror. Good guy movie I guess.

Braincase 12-31-2007 05:35 PM

Quote:

Because one of Quantrill's boys dies in the end?

Frazod 12-31-2007 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase
Because one of Quantrill's boys dies in the end?

I didn't stick around for the end. The middle was bad enough.

Speaking of Quantrill's boys, though, did I mention that I stopped by the grave of Cole Younger in Lee's Summit the day of the KU/MU game and gave him a quick salute for luck?

I think I'll do that next year, too. :)

Fly O.T. McWall 12-31-2007 06:09 PM

i just watched the kingdom and mr. brooks.

the kingdom kciked aboslute ass. mr. brooks was enjoyable, too.

mcan 12-31-2007 06:36 PM

Michael Clayton = Phenomonal

I Am Legend = Kinda shitty

(older movie) Meet Joe Black = A God Damned work of art. Absolutely stunning movie. Some people might find it boring though as it's a pretty long, character driven movie. But after seeing it for the second time, I'm sold.

Rescue Dawn = Decent flick, great acting.

We Own the Night = Not very good

Alien Vs Predator Req = Not nearly as bad as the first AvP. Brutal movie, as it should be.

Enchanted = Cute. Could have been funnier if it had catered more to adults like Shrek and some of the other more recent kids movies.

The Mist = Surprisingly good.

Lions for Lambs = Obviously a one sided debate, but a good film with some great actors. Streep is basically an acting god.

American Gangster = Has its moments. Good film, but the genre is getting old for me. The last 20 minutes of the film seems rushed and forced.

Lars and Real Girl = Undeniably one of the best films of the year. It's this years' Little Miss Sunshine.

Good Luck Chuck = Not enough Alba in it to justify putting up with it. Plenty of sex and TnA, but basically a paint by number comedy that isn't funny.

3:10 To Yuma = Very good. I'm starting to think Bale is the next Norton. Everything he touches is gold.

Superbad = I laughed all the way through it. Very sophomoric and stupid, but given the right time and place, it's very fun... McLovin... That's awesome.

Fly O.T. McWall 12-31-2007 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcan
(older movie) Meet Joe Black = A God Damned work of art. Absolutely stunning movie. Some people might find it boring though as it's a pretty long, character driven movie. But after seeing it for the second time, I'm sold.

pass. see death takes a holiday instead.

MOhillbilly 12-31-2007 07:33 PM

i watched killers kiss,lolita,paths of glory this month. all good

Fly O.T. McWall 12-31-2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly
i watched killers kiss,lolita,paths of glory this month. all good

in a kubrick mood? if you haven'tseen it, check out the killing

ZootedGranny 01-01-2008 05:34 AM

With a day left in the year, I didn't think I'd see anything better than Zodiac, but No Country for Old Men blew me away.

The Coen Brothers style was a perfect match for McCarthy's work, and it was great to see a movie stray from the hero cliche and a bombastic soundtrack.

Anton Chigurh was HAUNTING.

Baby Lee 01-01-2008 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZootedGranny
With a day left in the year, I didn't think I'd see anything better than Zodiac, but No Country for Old Men blew me away.

The Coen Brothers style was a perfect match for McCarthy's work, and it was great to see a movie stray from the hero cliche and a bombastic soundtrack.

Re: you avvy. Have you seen any of the new season yet. I 'happened across' the first epi, and the most intriguing development was Herc's new employer, and the revealed info about his clientele.

Also, as a Chief's fan, loved Carver's King Carl moment.

ZootedGranny 01-01-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee
Re: you avvy. Have you seen any of the new season yet. I 'happened across' the first epi, and the most intriguing development was Herc's new employer, and the revealed info about his clientele.

Also, as a Chief's fan, loved Carver's King Carl moment.

Yeah, I caught the first using HBO On Demand, and was thankful episode 2 leaked last night. I'm not nearly as captivated by the newsroom plot as I was the classroom in season 4, but the show is as good as it has ever been so far.

chagrin 01-01-2008 05:23 PM

Just caught Eastern Promises this weekend; I thought it was a kick ass movie; I like the European themed stuff. I guess after watching that hour dateline on the European Slave trade, it moved me. Anyway, I totally dug the film - all of it.

noa 01-01-2008 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZootedGranny

I really loved in that scene towards the end with Chigurh and Carla Jean (Kelly McDonald) when she says there isn't much money left and she has bills to pay and Chigurh just goes "I wouldn't worry about that."
Really cuts to the heart of things. He was trying to get people to face the reality of what is about to happen and stop clinging to ideas that are just going to make it more painful.

chagrin 01-01-2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noa
I really loved in that scene towards the end with Chigurh and Carla Jean (Kelly McDonald) when she says there isn't much money left and she has bills to pay and Chigurh just goes "I wouldn't worry about that."
Really cuts to the heart of things. He was trying to get people to face the reality of what is about to happen and stop clinging to ideas that are just going to make it more painful.

Hey - does this film offer any closure? I haven't read the book, never even heard of it until the film trailers appeared. Anyway, I really have a thing about stories with no closure, I'm not a very patient person and I always get annoyed with not being showed an ending, tying up the loose ends.
Anyway, though I would ask.

Simply Red 01-01-2008 06:24 PM

Good Chag. glad you liked it. It was rather stylish.

Simply Red 01-01-2008 06:26 PM

Last Saturday we saw `The Kite Runner,` Slow start but finished very well. I'd recommend this gem personally. A real eye-opener which didn't appear to be politically motivated.

Simply Red 01-01-2008 06:41 PM

Quote:

Alien Vs Predator Req = Not nearly as bad as the first AvP. Brutal movie, as it should be.

Enchanted = Cute. Could have been funnier if it had catered more to adults like Shrek and some of the other more recent kids movies.

Lions for Lambs = Obviously a one sided debate, but a good film with some great actors. Streep is basically an acting god.

American Gangster = Has its moments. Good film, but the genre is getting old for me. The last 20 minutes of the film seems rushed and forced.

Lars and Real Girl = Undeniably one of the best films of the year. It's this years' Little Miss Sunshine.

Good Luck Chuck = Not enough Alba in it to justify putting up with it. Plenty of sex and TnA, but basically a paint by number comedy that isn't funny.

3:10 To Yuma = Very good. I'm starting to think Bale is the next Norton. Everything he touches is gold.

Superbad = I laughed all the way through it. Very sophomoric and stupid, but given the right time and place, it's very fun... McLovin... That's awesome.

Bale the next "Norton?" What do you mean by that?

noa 01-01-2008 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chagrin
Hey - does this film offer any closure? I haven't read the book, never even heard of it until the film trailers appeared. Anyway, I really have a thing about stories with no closure, I'm not a very patient person and I always get annoyed with not being showed an ending, tying up the loose ends.
Anyway, though I would ask.

Yeah, if that annoys you then you probably wouldn't like the end of the movie. I know a lot of people who felt the same way.

MOhillbilly 01-02-2008 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fly O.T. McWall
in a kubrick mood? if you haven'tseen it, check out the killing

seen it. awesome.

chagrin 01-03-2008 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noa
Yeah, if that annoys you then you probably wouldn't like the end of the movie. I know a lot of people who felt the same way.

I went ahead and starting watching it today - what I find the most interesting so far, is Josh Brolin's character; he found this money, the dead bodies, etc. and seems to not give a shit. He's just going along with no fear, seemingly. But it's stupidity mostly, heh.

irishjayhawk 01-03-2008 11:47 AM

Quote:

Last Saturday we saw `The Kite Runner,` Slow start but finished very well. I'd recommend this gem personally. A real eye-opener which didn't appear to be politically motivated.

Yep. One where the story carries it.

irishjayhawk 01-03-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

Yep.

Horrendous. The Villiage at the end? WTF? The craftsmanship was bad too. Just all around bad, but all around liked by people because it's Will Smith.

Haven't seen it, but I want to

Yep. Slow, and painful to watch because it's so real. Very good though.

Kind of what I heard. Never got around to it.

Don't have any interest.

Not interested.

Yep, I wrote a defense for it in the lounge somewhere.

One sided, for sure. I disagree that it's a good film. It does have good actors and some signs of good craftsmanship but it's propaganda killed it for me.

Couldn't be more opposite. The last 30 minutes were the MOVIE. The movie essentially started when he pegged Denzel on the board. The 2 hours before that was no sense. A Gangster like Entourage show. Except no humor and boring as hell. Plus the multiple boom mic shows and things. Awful.

I'm mad I haven't seen it yet. However, I'm pretty sure this years LMS is Juno. And it's killing LMS in box office take.

Alba is fine to look at. But she's a mediocre - at best - actor. I haven't seen this flick and don't really want to.

I liked it even if it was a WEstern ( I don't like westerns). And yes, Bale is like Norton in that everything they touch is worth the price of admission (so far).

Have you seen Equilibrium? It's fantastic and one that catapulted him.

Of course.

I'll add:

Juno: This year's best comedy and flick, in my opinion.
No Country for Old Men: Talk about craftsmanship and cinematography. Sheesh this movie was fantastic.
National Treasure 2: Not nearly as good as the first, but a fun ride nonetheless. Just check your mind at the door.

Fly O.T. McWall 01-03-2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk
I'll add:

Juno: This year's best comedy and flick, in my opinion.
No Country for Old Men: Talk about craftsmanship and cinematography. Sheesh this movie was fantastic.
National Treasure 2: Not nearly as good as the first, but a fun ride nonetheless. Just check your mind at the door.

i really wanna see juno. looks funny as hell.

Ceej 01-03-2008 12:21 PM

Just got done watching RE: Extinction and Hot Fuzz. Both were solid flicks.

I was a BIT disappointed with Extinction.

Hot Fuzz was hilarious. I am hoping the same cast/producers and whatnot put out another flick in the near future.

wendy666 01-04-2008 01:10 AM

I saw I am legend these days, awesome

Jenson71 01-04-2008 02:14 AM

That damn "fumph" of the high pressured weapon of Anton Chigurn's is something I can't stop thinking of.

I don't think I've ever seen a more cynical film. That movie was disturbing.

And I can't wait to watch it again.

mcan 01-04-2008 10:36 AM

I'm actually pretty excited about Juno. My friend Joe tells me it'll be my favorite movie of the year too, so I have to check it out.

I've avoided the National Treasure movies. They look horrible.

As for the Norton/Bale thing. I think that they are the modern Pacino and DeNiro. There are a few others out there that are close, but for my money these are the best two actors working.

Baby Lee 01-04-2008 10:54 AM

Caught an overlooked 'For Your Consideration.'

The 'Guest treatment' of Hollywood Oscar talk.

If you liked previous Guest works [Spinal Tap, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind, Waiting for Guffman], it's more of the reliable form.

Basically, a small artsy production 'Home for Purim' is being filmed when someone on the crew sees a web site saying the lead actress is doing Oscar worthy work. And it follows the reactions of the players as the buzz grows around the film. A send up of crappy agents, Entertainment Tonight, meddling suits, validation seeking actors, deranged money people, etc.

Not groundbreaking, and pretty predictible, but fun, endearing, and possessing it's share of funny bits and lines.

Otter 01-04-2008 04:48 PM

What did everyone think of "Smokin' Aces"?

Let's get this straight right off the bat - this is not a cinematic masterpiece that will be discussed and dissected for it's contribution to theater. It's a shoot-em-up, gangster based flick in the vein of "Snatch" and "Reservoir Dogs" that is face paced with enough plot twists so it manages to avoid the 'leave your brain at home' category.

I loved it, gave it 5/5 stars in my Netflix rating and couldn't have been more entertained. Bought the movie the next day.

Based on what I've read in reviews it's a "love it or hate it" type film, which I can understand.

There are no heroes each and every character is out for themselves with no regard for morals when it comes to achieving their goal. It's bloody, graphic and hedonistic. If you like a traditional storyline *I hate 'em* this isn't gonna cut the jib.

- a great 90 minutes of entertainment if you as me.

mcan 01-04-2008 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter
What did everyone think of "Smokin' Aces"?

Let's get this straight right off the bat - this is not a cinematic masterpiece that will be discussed and dissected for it's contribution to theater. It's a shoot-em-up, gangster based flick in the vein of "Snatch" and "Reservoir Dogs" that is face paced with enough plot twists so it manages to avoid the 'leave your brain at home' category.

I think your assessment of "Smokin' Aces" is right on. Definately a fun little trip and a "check your brain" kinda movie. But I was hoping for more. Your comparisons to Snatch and Reservoir Dogs is off base IMO. I think both of those movies can be considered great films as well. Especially Reservoir Dogs, which is practically perfect, and sets the standard for independent action films. Snatch is commercial, but is a much better film than "Smokin'..."

KcMizzou 01-04-2008 07:01 PM

"Shoot 'Em Up" makes "Smokin Aces" look like "Steel Magnolias".

Frazod 01-04-2008 07:03 PM

Smokin Aces sucked balls, IMO.

It started out as a cartoonish over-the-top action film. Then it shifted gears halfway through and tried to be a serious drama. As a result, it failed as both. I found it to be both lame and annoying.

Otter 01-04-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

I think your assessment of "Smokin' Aces" is right on. Definately a fun little trip and a "check your brain" kinda movie. But I was hoping for more. Your comparisons to Snatch and Reservoir Dogs is off base IMO. I think both of those movies can be considered great films as well. Especially Reservoir Dogs, which is practically perfect, and sets the standard for independent action films. Snatch is commercial, but is a much better film than "Smokin'..."

The Snatch comparison was based on the way the story was presented. Quick bits of each story that eventually meshed together.

Reservoir Dogs comparison was just the raw violence and blood. I think combined they make a good comparison.

I agree it doesn't hold a candle to Reservoir Dogs, that's a classic but it can be used in comparison in the nature mentioned above.

Quote:

It started out as a cartoonish over-the-top action film.
That's why I liked it actually. It didn't try to be anything different...well I guess the ending did. What did you think of "Sin City"?

Frazod 01-04-2008 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter
That's why I liked it actually. It didn't try to be anything different...well I guess the ending did. What did you think of "Sin City"?

I loved Sin City.

mcan 01-05-2008 05:09 PM

Just got out to see "Juno" last night, and loved the holy crap out of that movie. Right up there with "Lars and the Real Girl." I laughed more at Juno, but I think Lars is the better overall film.

irishjayhawk 01-06-2008 12:21 PM

Quote:

Just got out to see "Juno" last night, and loved the holy crap out of that movie. Right up there with "Lars and the Real Girl." I laughed more at Juno, but I think Lars is the better overall film.

I never got around to seeing Lars but it wasn't, to my knowledge, supposed to be funny. I mean, it's funny to us, but it's a serious drama. One critic said that we should nominate the blow up doll for best actress.

007 01-06-2008 05:29 PM

The new National Treasure was entertaining.

luv 01-06-2008 05:33 PM

I watched We Are Marshall on HBO last night. Good movie.

Buehler445 01-06-2008 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv

I really liked that movie. I thought it was tastefully done.

I bought the Kingdom, and I'm excited to watch it.

mcan 01-06-2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

I never got around to seeing Lars but it wasn't, to my knowledge, supposed to be funny. I mean, it's funny to us, but it's a serious drama. One critic said that we should nominate the blow up doll for best actress.

I think Lars crosses genre pretty well. At times it seems like you're watching the darkest comedy ever made. At other times, you're watching the most uplifting drama. The movie never ceases to entertain. I'd actually put it in the same catagory as Juno though in the sense that it's primarily a drama that makes you laugh. Juno makes you laugh with clever dialogue, Lars is more a dramatic irony thing.

No doubt, that doll becomes a character in the movie as much as any other, but Ryan Gosling earned this one. That doll will have to make a few more movies for my vote. :)

irishjayhawk 01-07-2008 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv

Yuck. Couldn't disagree more. Preyed on emotion and wasn't even that uplifting. Horrible acting.

irishjayhawk 01-07-2008 12:02 AM

Quote:

I think Lars crosses genre pretty well. At times it seems like you're watching the darkest comedy ever made. At other times, you're watching the most uplifting drama. The movie never ceases to entertain. I'd actually put it in the same catagory as Juno though in the sense that it's primarily a drama that makes you laugh. Juno makes you laugh with clever dialogue, Lars is more a dramatic irony thing.

I don't see how Lars and Juno can be in the same category. A drama with situational humor is not comedy. And Juno is flat out comedy - just well done. Color me confused.

Quote:

No doubt, that doll becomes a character in the movie as much as any other, but Ryan Gosling earned this one. That doll will have to make a few more movies for my vote. :)
Agreed. :)

mcan 01-08-2008 02:38 AM

Quote:

I don't see how Lars and Juno can be in the same category. A drama with situational humor is not comedy. And Juno is flat out comedy - just well done. Color me confused.

Agreed. :)

Reread what I wrote, and I even did a double take. I had to read it three times before I remembered what I was trying to say.

I meant that they are BOTH primarily dramas. I wouldn't put either in the comedy isle at your local store, despite the fact that both movies are funnier to me than most comedies. I can see how Juno might be debatable, but personally I felt like that movie was trying to be much more than just a laugh.

irishjayhawk 01-08-2008 12:34 PM

Quote:

Reread what I wrote, and I even did a double take. I had to read it three times before I remembered what I was trying to say.

I meant that they are BOTH primarily dramas. I wouldn't put either in the comedy isle at your local store, despite the fact that both movies are funnier to me than most comedies. I can see how Juno might be debatable, but personally I felt like that movie was trying to be much more than just a laugh.

Fair enough. I'd even agree with that.

kaplin42 01-08-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Have you seen Equilibrium? It's fantastic and one that catapulted him

Fantastic movie. Although Bale steals his American Psycho characters coldness in it.

Would have gotten a lot more press, but it came out when the original Matrix did, and thus got forgoten in the dust.

I also think he is by far the best Batman yet.

Fire Me Boy! 01-08-2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Have you seen Equilibrium? It's fantastic and one that catapulted him.

Haven't seen it, but I remembered him from Empire of the Sun. I remembered seeing him again a few years later in Swing Kids and immediately remembered him. He's been good for a long time.

Frazod 01-08-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!
Haven't seen it, but I remembered him from Empire of the Sun. I remembered seeing him again a few years later in Swing Kids and immediately remembered him. He's been good for a long time.

YOU haven't seen Equilibrium? YOU? Mr. Movie?

:shake:

You seriously need to immediately add it to your collection. Amazing film.

Fire Me Boy! 01-08-2008 07:46 PM

Quote:

I know. It's one that's been on my short list for a long time, just never got to it. Weird.

Simply Red 01-08-2008 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!
I know. It's one that's been on my short list for a long time, just never got to it. Weird.

Never heard of it.... Is that a new one?

Frazod 01-08-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Never heard of it.... Is that a new one?

It's a few years old now. It was never released on a national scale in the U.S., which was stupid as hell. Great movie. The only knock on it is that it is almost completely unoriginal - you will recognize various parts of many other films. But it is done so well, you just don't care.

A friend of mine turned me onto it and I immediately bought it. Everybody I've showed it to has immediately bought it.

KcMizzou 01-08-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

"Butters, go buy world of warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you!"

KcMizzou 01-08-2008 07:54 PM

Quote:

It's a few years old now. It was never released on a national scale in the U.S., which was stupid as hell. Great movie. The only knock on it is that it is almost completely unoriginal - you will recognize various parts of many other films. But it is done so well, you just don't care.

A friend of mine turned me onto it and I immediately bought it. Everybody I've showed it to has immediately bought it.

Yep, same here. I'd never heard of it until a buddy brought it over one time.

Damn good movie.

Deberg_1990 01-08-2008 08:05 PM

Quote:

Great flick. The guys at chud.com loved it that year.

Thats how i heard about it.

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=dvd&id=1233

Simply Red 01-08-2008 08:11 PM

hmm, Amazon may have it?

Chiefnj2 01-08-2008 08:42 PM

I saw Juno. Excellent movie. Great mix of drama with comedy and great casting.

Miles 01-09-2008 12:03 AM

Quote:

The only knock on it is that it is almost completely unoriginal - you will recognize various parts of many other films. But it is done so well, you just don't care.

Pretty much my exact thoughts on it as well. It has its flaws but its just a damn entertaining movie.

Miles 01-09-2008 12:10 AM

Just finished watching "3:10 to Yuma" and it was outstanding. Pretty intense with some great acting from Bale and Crowe.

Megbert 01-09-2008 12:26 AM

Been out for a while, I even had it for sometime but finally sat down and watched "Brick". Kinda film noir set in modern day High School. Cool noirish language throughout.