ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Not starting Patrick Mahomes II in 2017 - good idea or bad idea? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320618)

RealSNR 01-19-2019 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 14053070)
Should have started playoff game last season.

This. Alex can have those other 15 games.

Mahomes plays against the Titans, we would have won.

DRM08 01-19-2019 08:24 PM

Quote:

I dunno about that. Chiefs offense was great in that first half. Maybe put Mahomes in there in the 4th quarter after it became obvious the offense wasn't getting the job done in the 2nd half.

Reerun_KC 01-19-2019 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 14053075)
I dunno about that. Chiefs offense was great in that first half. Maybe put Mahomes in there in the 4th quarter after it became obvious the offense wasn't getting the job done in the 2nd half.

Could damage Alex very fragile ego and his QBR.

BWillie 01-19-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 14053091)

3rd and 8. I know! I'll dump it off to the RB at 5 yards short of the sticks. Stats!

BigRedChief 01-19-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 14053071)
This. Alex can have those other 15 games.

Mahomes plays against the Titans, we would have won.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 14053091)

Let that shit go. You guys are all smart. You can’t prove a negative. We will never know. It’s in the history books.

We do know for sure, we have the NFL MVP starting for the Chiefs. Everyone gets to enjoy the first AFCCG at Arrowhead, ever. It’s worked out finally for the Chiefs and us long suffering fans.

jjchieffan 01-19-2019 08:47 PM

It was the right decision. It worked out for the best. Yeah, maybe we would have beaten the Titans in the playoffs last year. But we wouldn't have gotten Fuller in return for Alex if he wasn't starting and playing his best season. Without Fuller, we likely wouldn't have had the number one seed this year and quite possibly would have not made it to the AFCCG. We would have probably ended up the 5 seed. Andy is smarter than all of us. He proved it by sitting Mahomes last year.

jjchieffan 01-19-2019 08:50 PM

Now, had Smith suffered a mild concussion or a twisted ankle in the Titans game about half-time, then that could have been nice. Alex wouldn't have lost any trade value and we probably win that game.

big nasty kcnut 01-19-2019 08:56 PM

He got a year of learning how to be a nfl qb from alex as well as understanding the defense without having to get hit. Plus let him get hungry to go and show people how good he is.

crispystl 01-19-2019 08:57 PM

[QUOTE=Reerun_KC;14053091]Could damage Alex very fragile ego and his QBR.[/QUOTE
]More importantly it would have dimished Smith's trade value. Pretty sure that was Andy's logic. Mahomes was 22 and Andy probably knew Mahomes had a good shot of winning that game in the 4th but it would've mortgaged some of our future talent "capital" so he decided it wasnt worth it. All I know is thank God we have Mahomes. Its still hard to believe.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

chiefzilla1501 01-19-2019 08:58 PM

A superb idea. Mahomes improved big time. I'm glad he spent a year coaching himself out of bad habits. Can't be said enough how much he's improved. I think rushing him might have turned him into a career freelancer. I'm glad he's become much more than that.

And God forbid Pat had a lukewarm playoff performance. Everyone might second guess the Alex trade. And the dipshits would always doubt whether Alex would have won instead. That playoff loss allowed us a clean break from Alex and we got a sweet trade for a starter, not a backup.

The script this season could not have been written any better. He started the season with an explosive first month. Got the media and fans all on board the bandwagon. Now he's a good bet for MVP. We beat Pittsburgh finally. We beat Indy in Arrowhead. And now we're going to get the New England monkey off our back tomorrow. Who knows if that script is nearly as clean if Mahomes has to enter this season as a playoff loser.

crispystl 01-19-2019 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 14053116)
Now, had Smith suffered a mild concussion or a twisted ankle in the Titans game about half-time, then that could have been nice. Alex wouldn't have lost any trade value and we probably win that game.

That's a really solid point, but I think most GMs would see through that ruse.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hoover 01-19-2019 09:06 PM

I think he may have learned a lot from watching that playoff loss last year.

I agree, we probably win if we bench Smith, but it all worked out in the end.

PAChiefsGuy 01-19-2019 09:06 PM

It was obviously the right decison. Mahomes, Reid, and even Mahomes Dad have constantly talked about how important it was for Mahomes to sit that first-year and learn from Smitty.

I know a lot of the armchair GMs on here think they know more about QBs than Andy Reid does but truth is, you don't. Reid knows what he is doing when it comes to that position. He had his reasons for not starting Mahomes and that is good enough for me.

Coochie liquor 01-19-2019 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 14052977)
I think it was the perfect way to handle him. The only gripe I have is that Andy didn't yank Alex in the second half of last year's playoff debacle

Yip

chiefzilla1501 01-19-2019 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 14053137)
I think he may have learned a lot from watching that playoff loss last year.

I agree, we probably win if we bench Smith, but it all worked out in the end.

Not only that, but a playoff loss of his own could hit his confidence. Media and fans only memory of Mahomes would be a playoff game he was unprepared for. That's a long offseason. And not ideal considering that many fans and in the media weren't sold on getting rid of Smith. Unnecessary to rush him. We gave Mahomes his own offense built around him and a full offseason to prepare. Frankly, judging by the way the Chiefs approached the offseason, I think they expected him to have a bumpy first few games.