ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Committee says Bryant '14 playoff play should be a catch in the future (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=314173)

Fire Me Boy! 02-28-2018 11:55 AM

Committee says Bryant '14 playoff play should be a catch in the future

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...me-ruled-catch

Quote:

INDIANAPOLIS -- Dez caught it.

The NFL competition committee has reached a "unanimous" agreement that some of the league's most debated catch controversies should be ruled complete in the future, according to committee member and New York Giants owner John Mara.

They include plays involving Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant in the 2014 playoffs and Detroit Lions receiver Calvin Johnson in 2010, Mara said, and have prompted a discussion during meetings here at the scouting combine geared toward rewriting the rule for the 2018 season.

"I think where we are unanimous," Mara told ESPN on Tuesday, "[are] plays like the Dez Bryant play in Green Bay, going to the ground, [and] the Calvin Johnson play from a couple of years ago. I think all of us agree that those should be completions. So let's write the language to make them completions."

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has directed the committee to study the issue, prompted by yet another controversial incompletion ruling against Pittsburgh Steelers tight end Jesse James late in the 2017 season. Mara said the committee is not in complete agreement on the James play and acknowledged that past efforts to tweak the rule have failed.

What is different in 2018, in addition to Goodell's insistence on change, is the consensus to find a way to avoid inorganic rulings caused by the requirement to maintain control throughout the process of going to the ground.

"The Jesse James play, I think should be a completion," Mara said, "but I'm not sure we're unanimous on that. But plays where guys seem to make the catch and then make a football move with it, I think most of us agree those should be completions. Now it's just a question of coming up with the right language."

Typically, the competition committee continues rule-change discussions through the spring and makes proposals to owners at league meetings, scheduled this year for March 25-28. Mara said he couldn't be sure that a new catch rule would be ready by then, but said, "We're going to try."

He added: "It's easy to say the rule has got to be changed, but coming up with the right language is a challenge."

Meanwhile, Mara said the committee has discussed the possibility of adding a targeting rule to enhance player safety. But Mara downplayed the possibility of proposing a rule that mirrors the college version, which mandates ejection for a player who hits a defenseless opponent in the head or neck area.

"We've had a lot of discussion about it," Mara said. "I'm not sure we'll ever get to the college rule. But there's been a lot of discussion about it, and we'll have some more."

The competition committee is also discussing changing the penalty for pass interference to 15 yards instead of the current spot foul.

"There's a lot of debate on that," said Packers president Mark Murphy, a committee member. "Obviously it's a huge penalty -- 40-, 50-yard penalty at times. It seems to have worked in college. I think there's a concern that our defensive backs are so skilled that the end of the games we'd just have a series of 15-yard penalties. You don't see that in college."

A source tells ESPN the chances of a revised pass interference rule being enacted this season is a long shot.

JakeF 02-28-2018 11:57 AM

Should is not the same as was

By the current rules it wasn't a catch. If you want to change the rules and make it one then fine.

Bewbies 02-28-2018 11:58 AM

How about when a player sacks the QB, who is standing still in the pocket, and he drops the ball. Will this be forward progress or a fumble?

JakeF 02-28-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 13443432)
How about when a player sacks the QB, who is standing still in the pocket, and he drops the ball. Will this be forward progress or a fumble?

Depend on which teams are playing.

Rain Man 02-28-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 13443432)

That will be unchanged from last year, and will be the referee's choice. Fumble, progress, touchdown, offsides, whatever the referee calls will be the outcome.

Molitoth 02-28-2018 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13443480)
That will be unchanged from last year, and will be the referee's choice. Fumble, progress, touchdown, offsides, whatever the referee calls will be the outcome.

/BlackOp? :D

MahiMike 02-28-2018 01:42 PM

Just in time for the washed up receiver.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-28-2018 01:48 PM

How ****ing dumb is that they are just seeing it NOW?? What a joke.

Dayze 02-28-2018 01:50 PM

"A source tells ESPN the chances of a revised pass interference rule being enacted this season is a long shot."

well, of course,
easiest way to get a game competitive again if it's an early blowout.

PI in the NFL is shady.

ThaVirus 02-28-2018 01:59 PM

https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpre...lay.gif?w=1000

tooge 02-28-2018 02:04 PM

I don't know what is so ****ing difficult about this issue. IF YOU CATCH THE BALL, IN YOUR HANDS OR AGAINST YOUR BODY, AND TWO FEET TOUCH THE GROUND, THEN IT'S A CATCH. IF YOU THEN LOSE THE BALL AGAINST THE GROUND, IT'S A FUMBLE.

MarkDavis'Haircut 02-28-2018 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 13443654)
"A source tells ESPN the chances of a revised pass interference rule being enacted this season is a long shot."

well, of course,
easiest way to get a game competitive again if it's an early blowout.

PI in the NFL is shady.

Easiest way to swing a game in the NFL.

a pp roach 02-28-2018 02:37 PM

Translates to. "Ok, you got us. It's rigged. But we will admit where we made a few of the wrong calls. Gonna keep rigging games and giving officials big payouts for playing along, so you guys can still **** off but we just wanted to let you all know we feel you. For those still demanding more of an appology call 1-800-OUR-BAD"

jimidollar 02-28-2018 02:52 PM

How can it be a catch in the future? It already happened. Hello, McFly!

Lzen 02-28-2018 03:46 PM

Why is this so difficult to understand? The title means that a catch in the future that is "like" Dez Bryant's 2014 catch will now be ruled a catch.

Beef Supreme 02-28-2018 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 13443678)
I don't know what is so ****ing difficult about this issue. IF YOU CATCH THE BALL, IN YOUR HANDS OR AGAINST YOUR BODY, AND TWO FEET TOUCH THE GROUND, THEN IT'S A CATCH. IF YOU THEN LOSE THE BALL AGAINST THE GROUND, IT'S A FUMBLE.

If it is ruled a catch, then you lose the ball against the ground, the ground can't cause a fumble. So it should be ruled down at the spot.

Rain Man 02-28-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 13443669)

I think that's a catch.

dlphg9 02-28-2018 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 13444003)
If it is ruled a catch, then you lose the ball against the ground, the ground can't cause a fumble. So it should be ruled down at the spot.

The ground can cause a fumble if you haven't been touched

cmh6476 02-28-2018 05:14 PM

Because chiefs, right? I mean we finally get a qb who can chuck it and donks and fade will just knock our receivers down evertime am I rite

ChiefFanForHire 03-02-2018 09:54 AM

If you are over thirty years of age, or have watched pro football for 15 plus years, and you still think it's not rigged, you're pretty gullible.

That or you're proudly raping your friends and family our of enough money in fantasy that it's in your best interest not to let the horrible truth out.

Amnorix 03-02-2018 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 13444003)

Yeah, you are forgetting that in the NFL, the ground CAN ABSOLUTELY cause a fumble because you need to be touched down. If you fell to the ground without a defensive player causing that or touching you down, then the ground will cause that fumble.

Saying the current rules suck is easy. FIXING them is hard. I can see it now -- guy grabs the ball, two feet touch down and a tenth of a second later before he secures the ball he gets blown up or the ball is stripped out. Expect to see ALOT more fumbles if they go that route. :shrug:

Garcia Bronco 03-02-2018 11:37 AM

Quote:

I still say its not a catch.

Chief Pagan 03-02-2018 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 13446607)
Yeah, you are forgetting that in the NFL, the ground CAN ABSOLUTELY cause a fumble because you need to be touched down. If you fell to the ground without a defensive player causing that or touching you down, then the ground will cause that fumble.

Saying the current rules suck is easy. FIXING them is hard. I can see it now -- guy grabs the ball, two feet touch down and a tenth of a second later before he secures the ball he gets blown up or the ball is stripped out. Expect to see ALOT more fumbles if they go that route. :shrug:

I'm with you on all of the above. Fans are going to be upset when they still don't know what a catch is. I think the current rule is fine, but given all the animosity, I think they should tweak the rule for the endzone and out of bounds.

If you have two feet (one knee, etc) down in the endzone and the ball secured for a moment, it is a TD. If you have the ball secure the moment you touch out of bounds (after getting two feet in bounds) it is a catch.

A catch/non-catch in the open field stays the same.

Fans may not realize it yet, but they don't want the new rules applied to the middle of the field because it will result in too many catch/fumbles. I don't think they want that and neither do I.

Almost all of the issues are regarding TD's and out of bounds. So tweak the rules where the PR problem is.

MahiMike 03-02-2018 09:24 PM

Quote:

Still not a catch

ThaVirus 03-02-2018 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 13447563)
Still not a catch

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13444014)
I think that's a catch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 13446721)
I still say its not a catch.

LMAO People complain about the rules but just with four people in this thread we’re 50/50 (I think it was a catch as well).

BigRedChief 03-03-2018 09:14 AM

The only way this is still not going to make people upset is that they implement the same rules as runners entering the end zone and if the rules are the same as when WR's are catching the ball not in the end zone.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-03-2018 10:32 AM

James catch was a TD as was the one against the Jets. TWO gifted wins by a team on blown/stupid rules/ calls is inexcusable.

TribalElder 03-03-2018 10:33 AM

They typically admit they were wrong

Way after it ever matters or makes a difference

The NFL is crooked as hell with their replay bullshit

Chiefshrink 03-03-2018 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 13443678)
IF YOU THEN LOSE THE BALL AGAINST THE GROUND, IT'S A FUMBLE.

Ground can't cause a fumble:D

dlphg9 03-03-2018 12:33 PM

Lol it's a catch. He gained possession at the 5 yard line and had complete control of the ball after taking 2 steps and dove for the pylon. Only reason he lost it was because he dove at the end and the ground jarred it loose. He didn't bobble the ball.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-03-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 13447918)

The Chiefs game in Arizona a few years ago was one of the biggest pile of shit I've ever seen. There was literally 21 points in mistakes that cost KC a playoff berth that year. The sport is a ****ing joke.

-King- 03-03-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 13447918)

How are they crooked with their replay?
Posted via Mobile Device

jjchieffan 03-03-2018 06:17 PM

How about Kelces (non)TD catch that was ripped out of his hands after he had both feet down in the end zone? Will anything change on that?

TribalElder 03-04-2018 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 13448525)
Posted via Mobile Device

How is forward progress non reviewable

There is zero transparency in decisions as to why or what rule determined the outcome

Inconsistent rulings although I don’t recall a specific example.

How many times have they gotten it wrong on the field and forced a team to use a challenge to correct the call. Yes, that’s the point of replay etc but replay isn’t used as a tool to get the call correct in my opinion, it’s a gamble that costs teams timeouts if New York says so.

Overall I think the officiating itself has made me think the worst of the NFL, replay is just one part of the overall problem of officiating and officiating bias

ChiefFanForHire 03-04-2018 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 13448217)
The Chiefs game in Arizona a few years ago was one of the biggest pile of shit I've ever seen. There was literally 21 points in mistakes that cost KC a playoff berth that year. The sport is a ****ing joke.

Everyone complains about the Kelce "fumble" that decided that game (as they should)

But the most disgusting call was OP against our own WR near the end of the half. When the Ari. CB tried to bump him 5 yards in, fell down on purpose hoping to draw a flag, didn't get one, Smith scrambles long enough to keep the play alive and throw a easy TD to the wide open receivier - AS SOON AS THE REF SEES ITS GOING TO BE AN EASY TOUCHDOWN - FLAG!!!!!!

You literally see him reach in and throw it in the same exact seconds the ball in landing in our WR's hands - 100 percent totally blatant bullshit.

ThaVirus 03-04-2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefFanForHire (Post 13450583)
Everyone complains about the Kelce "fumble" that decided that game (as they should)

But the most disgusting call was OP against our own WR near the end of the half. When the Ari. CB tried to bump him 5 yards in, fell down on purpose hoping to draw a flag, didn't get one, Smith scrambles long enough to keep the play alive and throw a easy TD to the wide open receivier - AS SOON AS THE REF SEES ITS GOING TO BE AN EASY TOUCHDOWN - FLAG!!!!!!

You literally see him reach in and throw it in the same exact seconds the ball in landing in our WR's hands - 100 percent totally blatant bullshit.

Hah. I remember that.

It was the TE, IIRC. I'm seeing Fasano in my head.

AssEaterChief 03-04-2018 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 13448525)
Posted via Mobile Device

Pretty simple…you know when they "review" a play they talk to the people in New York who make the decision for them right?

How is that not crooked that the officials present do not actually make the calls themselves..