ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Why are so many national writers so high on the Chargers? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315371)

TLO 05-15-2018 11:01 AM

Why are so many national writers so high on the Chargers?

Flavor of the off-season or are the Chargers a legit Super Bowl contender.

Let's discuss in here.

Halfcan 05-15-2018 11:05 AM

I think based on the NFL's trend to gift a SB win to aging QB's (The Manning legacy) the Chargers will win one before Rivers retires.

Bowser 05-15-2018 11:05 AM

The NFL needs them to make the Super Bowl to both boost ticket sales and justify having them there in LA. Can't let all those potential fans NOT spend their monies on the NFL!

O.city 05-15-2018 11:05 AM

They should be good?

saphojunkie 05-15-2018 11:11 AM

Melvin Gordon is really good. So is Keenan Evans. So is Joey Bosa. So is Melvin Ingram.

They have a lot of flashy pieces and a damn good low-stakes QB. Rivers is really really good... until the pressure gets too much, and he somehow manages to fold. Dude just doesn't show an ability to turn it up when it's all on the line.

DaFace 05-15-2018 11:12 AM

The media has been high on the Chargers for like the past 5 years. Until they actually show they can close games out, I'm not gonna worry about them much.

lawrenceRaider 05-15-2018 11:13 AM

Because every couple years the Chargers show some sign of improvement and writers decide that this will be the year they actually improve year to year. Followed by everyone remembering that Rivers is Rivers and the Chargers crap the bed.

chiefforlife 05-15-2018 11:13 AM

They were a kicker away from being good last year. I think they will make the playoffs for sure.

Ming the Merciless 05-15-2018 11:15 AM

well , in fairness ..its not JUST writers....its also vegas odds have the chargers as favorites to win the division....

If enough people put money on other teams like the chiefs , broncos or raiders...then the odds would change..but as of now they havent.

as divisions go the AFC west could be one of the tightest divisions (odds wise) to start off the season..I think it is THE closest one....

The AFC south is pretty tight too....

But anyway, I dont buy the fact this is some type of collusion by the NFL who pushes these stories out to writers....at all.

I mean real people are betting on this, and the money is bearing it out so far......at least from what I can tell.

DaFace 05-15-2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefforlife (Post 13557299)
They were a kicker away from being good last year. I think they will make the playoffs for sure.

If you need a kicker to be "good," you're not good enough.

Buckweath 05-15-2018 11:22 AM

I do feel they are overhyped a bit but make no mistake, the Chargers are a strong team.

I must say I am a bit baffled to see so many analysts crowning them as AFC West champions to be.

I can somewhat understand because of the fact that Mahomes is unproven but if he is even close to the hype, I think the Chiefs are the better team.

The Raiders have a chance too.

Chiefnj2 05-15-2018 11:22 AM

2 big name pass rushers and a known QB = media coverage.

Chief Roundup 05-15-2018 11:25 AM

They won 6 of their last 7 at the end of last season. They have a QB that is proven. They have a good defense. They are returning most of their players and the entire coaching staff. So little turnover creates more continuity. They had a good draft too.
The Chiefs have a new unproven OC and QB and our D is maybe middle of the road.
The Donkos have a QB that has had one good year and a coaching staff that is mediocre at best.
The Faiders have a new HC that has been away from the game for a while and has signed a bunch of aged veterans that are done and likely wont make it through the season.

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk

Buckweath 05-15-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefforlife (Post 13557299)

Sure but I don't think it was a matter of kicker last year at the end of the season when the playoffs were on the line and the Chiefs kicked their butt, once more.

Priest31kc 05-15-2018 11:26 AM

I think their schedule has some to do with them being favored too. Much easier schedule than the Chiefs.