ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Am I the only one who feels kind of encouraged? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=318189)

DaFace 10-14-2018 09:55 PM

Am I the only one who feels kind of encouraged?

I had this game down as a loss. (See the predictions poll for proof.) The Patriots always start out slow, and I still see them as top five in the league at worst. They're notoriously tough to beat at home. They had 10 days to prepare. We were missing two OL, two pass rushers, and about 40 DBs. Pat played like shit for a half.

And the game just came down to who had the ball last.

We weren't going 16-0. If this is the one we lose, that's one hell of a season. Looking forward to next week.

SAUTO 10-14-2018 09:56 PM

I liked the never quit attitude from the offense.

ChiefsCountry 10-14-2018 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13817806)
I had this game down as a loss. (See the predictions poll for proof.) The Patriots always start out slow, and I still see them as top five in the league at worst. They're notoriously tough to beat at home. They had 10 days to prepare. We were missing two OL, two pass rushers, and about 40 DBs. Pat played like shit for a half.

We weren't going 16-0. If this is the one we lose, that's one hell of a season. Looking forward to next week.

No it was rigged and the rest of the chicken littles need to bitch and moan some more.

But you are 100% correct.

OnTheWarpath15 10-14-2018 09:56 PM

I wouldn't say encouraged, but I get your point.

I can't feel encouraged about anything until this defense gets fixed.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 10-14-2018 09:56 PM

Im hopeful the Chiefs can find a defense within 15 years. But sooner rather than later because Kelce, Hunt, and Hill will eventually turn into brokedicks.

Mr. Kotter 10-14-2018 09:57 PM

I am with you...

TLO 10-14-2018 09:57 PM

I don't feel too bad about the loss. We'll never be out of any game as long as we have Mahomes.

The defense though... man o man. That's what will cost us from winning the ultimate prize this season.

CaliforniaChief 10-14-2018 09:57 PM

I agree in general.

I would agree even more if there's actually some accountability for the performance of the defense.

Demonpenz 10-14-2018 09:57 PM

The at denver game was the big one. This one? Oh well Brady is going to Brady. I think that instead of getting right back on the grind Andy could tell mahomes and some of the others to forget about football for a couple days. Come back tuesday ready to work. It seems like Mahomes is the kind of guy to watch tape and start working right after games.

Sassy Squatch 10-14-2018 09:57 PM

No. This defense gives me a sad.

DenverChief 10-14-2018 09:57 PM

Quote:

Agreed - better to get the L now - no shame in losing to the Pats in their own house. It was a good game - need to work on our D tho

Hamwallet 10-14-2018 09:57 PM

Between Berry and Houston not playing tonight that’s 33 million in cap space not playing for the defense. The D will get fixed next year.

St. Patty's Fire 10-14-2018 09:58 PM

I’m encouraged, but curious to see how we respond next week. The Bengals are ripe for a good old fashioned Areowhead beatdown. HAVE to keep track and win next week. I’d almost call it a must win.

kcpasco 10-14-2018 09:58 PM

The defense is a bunch of pussies who won’t help.

DaFace 10-14-2018 09:59 PM

I agree that the defense is a dumpster fire, but again, were were missing FOUR starters. Two of the guys who started had never started an NFL game before. Did people really expect them to look decent against Tom Brady? Picking on inexperienced guys is literally one of his biggest strengths.

Hammock Parties 10-14-2018 09:59 PM

I am actually. I felt like we were about to get blown out after it was 24-9.

The team proved it belonged on the same field with the AFC Champions.

It'll pay off in January.

Molitoth 10-14-2018 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamwallet (Post 13817853)
Between Berry and Houston not playing tonight that’s 33 million in cap space not playing for the defense. The D will get fixed next year.

Next year. We always hear that concerning Houston and Berry.

Both of those brokedicks can get lost.

DTVietnam 10-14-2018 09:59 PM

This loss doesn't really hurt..I feel the same..

007 10-14-2018 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 13817827)

Unfortunately that won't get fixed this season. But I'm happy with where this team is headed.

Hamwallet 10-14-2018 09:59 PM

But then we better be ready to pay Mahomes that 33 million a year after his rookie deal. Shit!

mr. tegu 10-14-2018 09:59 PM

Am I the only one who feels kind of encouraged?

The genius Belichick had no answer for the offense. No team can stop them so that’s encouraging.

kcpasco 10-14-2018 10:00 PM

Berry and Houston can **** off.

Frazod 10-14-2018 10:00 PM

Not at all.

5-1, still leading the conference, hardest part of the schedule in the rear view mirror. :thumb:

ROYC75 10-14-2018 10:01 PM

Very encouraged.

Lprechaun 10-14-2018 10:01 PM

Hell yes I'm encouraged. Hardly any starters on defense and we lose on a last second FG to NE in their house with their butts on the line?
Hell yes I'm encouraged.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-14-2018 10:01 PM

Very encouraged. We should have been blown out. Mahomes went goofy in the 2nd half. Dude has amazing drive to win.

ROYC75 10-14-2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13817888)
Not at all.

5-1, still leading the conference, hardest part of the schedule in the rear view mirror. :thumb:

FTR, somewhat, we still have some difficult games to go.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-14-2018 10:02 PM

This offense is unstoppable. All Time great level.

DanT 10-14-2018 10:02 PM

I'm very encouraged. I expect that with Mahomes as our QB, KC will become a destination for great veterans looking for a shot at Super Bowl glory.

PunkinDrublic 10-14-2018 10:03 PM

It’s still Tom Brady. Belicek is still the best in the business at zeroing in on weaknesses. I think our defense was pretty beat up from last week.

Bump 10-14-2018 10:03 PM

I have more hope for the next 5-10 years than I ever had in my life as a Chiefs fan.

We have the Quarterback we need, we're going to have him for at least a decade. At some point in the next 10 years, we are going to have at least a mediocre defense and that's all that's needed with Mahomes. If we get lucky and ever get another good to great defense, it's Superbowl time. We are going to be in the playoffs every year I think and one of those times we are going to make it. Keep players on offense that Mahomes really succeeds with, draft some o-lineman and we'll always be good.

Frazod 10-14-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 13817919)
FTR, somewhat, we still have some difficult games to go.

Sure. But outside of the Lambs, they'll all be at home.

eDave 10-14-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13817875)
I am actually. I felt like we were about to get blown out after it was 24-9.

The team proved it belonged on the same field with the AFC Champions.

It'll pay off in January.

This. Good loss, if there's such a thing. BB didn't sound that great in his post game. And he avoided saying anything good about Mahomes, other than " he made some plays "

He's freaked out by Hill though. Couldn't stop talking about how fast he is.

Rain Man 10-14-2018 10:03 PM

I'm just annoyed that the future belongs to Patrick Mahomes II, but New England is going to win every game when they get no penalties and they'll have home field again in the playoffs due to their wins over the Bills and Jets and Dolphins. The NFL isn't going to be interesting until Brady is gone. He'll always get the breaks and he'll always have every advantage, and I'm sick of it. I don't want to ever see a Patriots game again. I would watch a Broncos game before I would watch the Patriots.

Hammock Parties 10-14-2018 10:04 PM

This felt like an old Brady-Manning game.

No one ever really lost those games.

Sassy Squatch 10-14-2018 10:04 PM

As long as we have the Mahomes to Hill combo on offense we're extremely dangerous. They pulled some hilarious bullshito on the Patriots tonight.

Pitt Gorilla 10-14-2018 10:05 PM

I like that pat doesn’t seem to give a **** after he throws a pick. He goes back out and balls.

Frazod 10-14-2018 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 13817936)
This. Good loss, if there's such a thing.

Moral victories suck, but this one doesn't suck nearly as much as the old ones did.

If we still had Alice under center, this would have been a blowout loss, and we'd be doomed. Those days are gone.

Chiefs4TheWin 10-14-2018 10:05 PM

I am not mad at this loss at all. However I really wish we didn't have this defense.

stevieray 10-14-2018 10:05 PM

5-1 after 4 of 6 on the road? against contenders?

Arrow is definitely pointing up.

As usual it's a few plays here and there that decide games between two really good teams.

Pats are fortunate Pat was off and missed those first two TD throws in the first half.

RINGLEADER 10-14-2018 10:06 PM

Said it in the game thread at halftime. We will NEVER be out of a game with this offense.

Pants 10-14-2018 10:07 PM

I just can't with this ****ing defense, DaFace. I just can't.

There is just something discouraging when teams can run the ball with complete impunity. It's an awfully bitter-tasting cocktail of frustration and helplessness.

Mahomes makes it all better, but still...

mr. tegu 10-14-2018 10:07 PM

Also it’s pretty clear we have the best QB in the AFC so that’s an advantage come playoff time.

Why Not? 10-14-2018 10:08 PM

Certainly the best I can remember feeling after a loss. Encouraged for the future because I'm gonna trust someone fixes this defense over the next couple years. Excited for this season because every game will be fun as hell. And last, but not least,

Accepting. Accepting that the most likely scenario for this year is a "the no punt game" type of game where we end up on the short end.

Sannyasi 10-14-2018 10:08 PM

I'm somewhat discouraged. Not completely upset by the loss, but I still came away thinking we're the same place we were the last few years, #2 in the AFC. When Brady finally steps aside might be in a good spot but for this year it doesn't look great.

RINGLEADER 10-14-2018 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sannyasi (Post 13817984)
I'm somewhat discouraged. Not completely upset by the loss, but I still came away thinking we're the same place we were the last few years, #2 in the AFC. When Brady finally steps aside might be in a good spot but for this year it doesn't look great.

We play them again we'll win.

mnchiefsguy 10-14-2018 10:09 PM

I am hopeful that this proves to Veach that the time is NOW and he makes some moves before the deadline. Improve this defense just enough to where they only give up 24 points a game and this team can go all the way.

chiefzilla1501 10-14-2018 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamwallet (Post 13817853)

Considering how banged up our D is they didn’t play terrible. Made some really big stops. They won’t be great but Houston and berry will make a big enough difference to win this. Speaks is nowhere near ready. And frankly I’m happier to not have this overconfident narrative about how we’re patriot killers.

keg in kc 10-14-2018 10:10 PM

It was definitely encouraging. Mahomes seems to be the real deal.

But I'm tempering the enthusiasm. This isn't a championship team in 2018. They aren't as good as their record. Well, on offense they are, but the defense will cost them games they should win. That unexpected 5-1 start is probably going to balance out. So I have zero expectations. I just want to enjoy the ride while it lasts. Hopefully they can hold the Chargers off and find a way to steal a playoff game.

ROYC75 10-14-2018 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13817935)
Sure. But outside of the Lambs, they'll all be at home.

True, that is a big plus with losing tonight's game, rest of the tough ones are at home!

We need NE to lose a game or 2 along the way.

dirk digler 10-14-2018 10:11 PM

definitely and I am not even upset. I think most of us reasonable fans knew Pat would struggle in some games but he battled back and put up 40 pts. This defense though...just hoping we get healthy come playoff time

kcxiv 10-14-2018 10:11 PM

i have no problems with the offense, I have problems with the defense and nothing is going to happen until that gets fixed. Its just so bad.

mr. tegu 10-14-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sannyasi (Post 13817984)

I don’t see that at all. Their defense is no better than ours and our offense is better. I don’t think they are really significantly better than us in any aspect of the game.

cdcox 10-14-2018 10:11 PM

No. Our future is blindingly bright. We have an 18 year window.

Next 4 years we have weapons galore with Hunt, Hill, and Kelce. The Challenge is to field a mediocre defense and to keep the big 4 under contract.

After 4 years Mahomes will be a "savy vet". He will be even better than he is now. That gives many, many options for building a team. We won't need top 5 talent to deliver a top 5 offense. That leaves money for the defensive side of the ball.

3 SB. That is the bar for Hunt. Below and he is a failure of an owner. 3 is meh. 4 he equals his father.

Pitt Gorilla 10-14-2018 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13817996)
Considering how banged up our D is they didn’t play terrible. Made some really big stops. They won’t be great but Houston and berry will make a big enough difference to win this. Speaks is nowhere near ready. And frankly I’m happier to not have this overconfident narrative about how we’re patriot killers.

Berry isn’t doing shit. He doesn’t have the drive.

Bump 10-14-2018 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13817951)
Moral victories suck, but this one doesn't suck nearly as much as the old ones did.

If we still had Alice under center, this would have been a blowout loss, and we'd be doomed. Those days are gone.

if Alice was still under center, we are 1-5 at best.

stumppy 10-14-2018 10:13 PM

A win would have been great. The loss is nothing but a speed bump for this team. Like the DaFace said, we were never going 16/0. This was great experience for Mahomes.

It also, for what good it'll do, put the shitty defense front and center as the major problem of the team. Doubt there's any way to fix it this year. Getting some back off the injured list will help but it probably still won't be good enough to go all the way.

I'm looking forward to watching the rest of Mahomes first year as the QB. And I can't wait to see what this team can do after fixing some of the problems on defense.

Frazod 10-14-2018 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 13818007)
True, that is a big plus with losing tonight's game, rest of the tough ones are at home!

We need NE to lose a game or 2 along the way.

I was just checking their schedule. First up, they have a road game against what will be a very pissed off Bears team next Sunday. That defense will slow Brady down, and Nagy has the offensive tools to score against New England's shitty defense. Hopefully Mack will toss Brady's helmet into the stands while is ****ing head is still in it. They also have games against Green Bay and Pittsburgh on the road and the Vikings at home. I'm thinking they'll lose at least two of these four.

They also still have road games against Tennessee and Miami. Not exactly pushovers.

Rasputin 10-14-2018 10:16 PM

I wasn't worried going into the second half and figured we would make a game of it and we did. I'm proud of them all the way.

We all know this defense sucks we just have to be able to score 45 points to keep winning.

lcarus 10-14-2018 10:16 PM

I'm not upset at all really. I figured we would lose this one, going up against the Pats in Foxborough who really really needed the win. I also figured the refs wouldn't call a damn thing against them and that held true.

BUT. Our offense is great and we got our guy at QB finally, who despite a few overthrows and INTs, was amazing yet again. Imagine what this dude is gonna do when he's seasoned. This is his 7th start ever and he's tearing shit up.

As far as the defense, there's still a glimmer of hope they will get a bit better THIS season. If Berry ever comes back, when Houston comes back, and with the addition of Lucas who imo has been a bright spot since he started playing, they can at least not be a total dumpster fire. Which is all we need. Just average defense.

tk13 10-14-2018 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 13818019)

3 SB. That is the bar for Hunt. Below and he is a failure of an owner. 3 is meh. 4 he equals his father.

Wins or appearances? I think everything else you said is spot on, but Favre only won 1. Rodgers has only won 1. Manning won 2 and the second one he was completely washed up and was carried by his defense. Elway wasn't washed up but he had an all time running attack to carry the load.

Granted Brady won't be around for the next 15 years. We hope.

Buehler445 10-14-2018 10:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13817819)
I liked the never quit attitude from the offense.

Hell yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 13817827)

That is a pretty ridiculous expectations given a first year QB. I know of LITERALLY no one that was Super Bowl or bust. At this point in the year, our expectations were to develop Mahomes, and given that perceptive, where we are in the season is VERY encouraging.

stumppy 10-14-2018 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13818058)
I was just checking their schedule. First up, they have a road game against what will be a very pissed off Bears team next Sunday. That defense will slow Brady down, and Nagy has the offensive tools to score against New England's shitty defense. Hopefully Mack will toss Brady's helmet into the stands while is ****ing head is still in it. They also have games against Green Bay and Pittsburgh on the road and the Vikings at home. I'm thinking they'll lose at least two of these four.

They also still have road games against Tennessee and Miami. Not exactly pushovers.

Yea, out of those 6 I could see them losing 2, maybe 3.

Rasputin 10-14-2018 10:18 PM

Mahomes 4 TD - two INT

It's pretty encouraging.

Rasputin 10-14-2018 10:18 PM

4 road games 6 weeks 5-1

not too shabby

cdcox 10-14-2018 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 13818067)
Wins or appearances? I think everything else you said is spot on, but Favre only won 1. Rodgers has only won 1. Manning won 2 and the second one he was completely washed up and was carried by his defense. Elway wasn't washed up but he had an all time running attack to carry the load.

Wins. I have high expectations. If we let Hunt be satisfied with one he'll trade PM away for a fullback after the first SB victory. You know I'm right.

jd1020 10-14-2018 10:23 PM

I'm encouraged in the sense that we have a QB that has shown he doesn't need an all word defense to keep the other team in the teens to have a chance. We can get into a shootout and make a game of it.

That being said, this defense does not provide me any hope of winning 3 or 4 playoff games. We are like a worse version of the Saints because our defense is truly garbage.

Sannyasi 10-14-2018 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 13818018)
I don’t see that at all. Their defense is no better than ours and our offense is better. I don’t think they are really significantly better than us in any aspect of the game.

Our offense wasn't better today. Brady is better at taking care of the football.

FloridaMan88 10-14-2018 10:24 PM

I am somewhat encouraged.

The Chiefs were getting the Patriots at their best... off the mini bye, all of their weapons available, etc. And despite Mahomes and the offense being out of sync in the first half with turnovers and settling for FG’s, they were still in a position to steal a W at Foxboro.

Molitoth 10-14-2018 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sannyasi (Post 13818122)
Our offense wasn't better today. Brady is better at taking care of the football.

lol, get that shit out of here.

You want risk free QB play? Follow Alex Smith over to the Redskins.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-14-2018 10:26 PM

We can beat ANY team on ANY field. Think about that for a second. 3 AFC heavy weights on the road...2-1

bricks 10-14-2018 10:27 PM

Im encouraged and never really felt this good about the Chiefs.

Todays game made a statement in that we can hang with the Patriots.

We have an amazing QB and are never out of games. We may go 15-1 this season? Possibly 14-2? Because of Mahomes my belief in this team has gone up 5 fold compared to years past.

I think the AFC championship game is going to be between the Chiefs and the Patriots. Home field will make a difference. If we play them at Arrowhead, I like our chances. We need Berry back, I know that's wishful thinking but he is a MUST to have back to take Gronkowski out of that passing game which he could do very well.

I don't like the defense either but having home field, and a healthy Berry and Houston back, little bit of tweeks here and there on D, and I think that may be just enough to beat them?

*I think they're afraid of Mahomes. I really do believe that. They were playing the ball control game on us a lot to try to keep him off the field. Could that be Belicheck attacking the teams weakness or because he is afraid of Mahomes? What do you gutys think? Did you hear what he said at halftime when they were up by 15, we need to score more points. I don't think he has confidence in his defense to stop us. That's my opinion.

You hardly hear Belicheck talk like that. Our offense is great, and New England D isn't much better than ours. I expect more shootouts when these two meet come playoff time.

Coach 10-14-2018 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13817872)
I agree that the defense is a dumpster fire, but again, were were missing FOUR starters. Two of the guys who started had never started an NFL game before. Did people really expect them to look decent against Tom Brady? Picking on inexperienced guys is literally one of his biggest strengths.

Then that's on Veach. He has to account for finding quality depth in case starters were to drop. The fact that he still has to go get Zombo, tells me he isn't working the waiver wire as hard as he should have, in my opinion.

Surely, some LB's or S's on other teams practice squad surely would be better than Parker and/or Zombo, wouldn't you think (athletically-wise)?

mr. tegu 10-14-2018 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sannyasi (Post 13818122)

More turnovers than Mahomes on the season.

Basileus777 10-14-2018 10:27 PM

I'm not discouraged about the loss itself, but what it might mean for seeding purposes. NE has a cupcake schedule, so we'll really need to not have many hickups to get the #1 seed now. Hopefully we go into the buy week with only 2 losses.

NJChiefsFan 10-14-2018 10:28 PM

Ton of positives. But the one negative is the possible preview of how the defense could cost us a playoff game.

Frazod 10-14-2018 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 13818070)
Yea, out of those 6 I could see them losing 2, maybe 3.

If they lose three, that's 11-5. In addition to the Bears, the stretch where they play Minnesota, Miami and Pittsburgh will be tough. Their schedule isn't the cake walk this year that it usually seems to be. At least until the end, when they wrap up with Buffalo and the Jets at home.

Going forward, I honestly don't see us losing more than three. Rams on a neutral field is a toss up - they're overrated. If Denver had a real quarterback instead of that moron Keenum they would have won today. Other than that, we should be favored in every game. I assume at some point we'll shit ourselves and give one or two up, but no more than that. Worst case, barring disaster, should be 12-4.

Why Not? 10-14-2018 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13818058)

And Brady sucks at Miami

Frazod 10-14-2018 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777 (Post 13818164)
I'm not discouraged about the loss itself, but what it might mean for seeding purposes. NE has a cupcake schedule, so we'll really need to not have many hickups to get the #1 seed now.

@Chicago
@Buffalo
Green Bay
@Tennessee
Bye
@Jets
Minnesota
@Miami
@Pittsburgh
Buffalo
Jets

Their remaining schedule is tougher than ours.

Rain Man 10-14-2018 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 13818067)

I half-suspect that Brady will be around for another 9 years. I think he plays to 50, because you're not allowed to touch him. The only reason for him to retire will be that he blows out an elbow and literally can't throw the ball.