ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Am I the only one who feels kind of encouraged? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=318189)

jaa1025 10-15-2018 09:17 AM

I'm encouraged by Mahomes and the offense...and special teams. That's it.

I don't think I could be more discouraged by the defense. Run defense is coaching and has progressively gotten worse. It really doesn't matter who the Chiefs acquire in trade they won't improve the defense under Sutton and the rest of the defensive staff.

Fire Sutton now and promote from within as interim DC. Fire everyone on that side of the ball during the off season. Reid will have his pick of coaches to hire as they will be fawning over joining the Chiefs with Mahomes and Reid.

DRM08 10-15-2018 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupidStunt (Post 13819248)
Almost every team in the league cannot play defense. The Bears just gave up 31 points to Brock ****ing Osweiler. The Jags gave up 40 to the goddamn inept Cowboys.

Man, I was saying this all offseason and people just don't pay attention: the only thing that matters in the NFL is who your QB is.

That's why we were a joke with Smith and will now be a force for years. The title games in both conferences are going to come down to Mahomes/Brady/Ben and Brees/Wentz/Goff/Cousins/Rodgers. And almost none of those teams are any good whatsoever at playing defense.

I assume those with this train of thought think the Ravens are coming out of the AFC?

Heck, the Ravens defense got torched by Andy Dalton. But even in a league with a lot of bad defense, the Chiefs defense still makes you shake your head. The non-existent tackling is particularly ridiculous at the professional level.

ModSocks 10-15-2018 09:20 AM

Didnt bother posting last night. Slept on it instead.

Woke up and remembered that 1 loss doesn't matter when you have a decade of dominance approaching. The Chiefs just hung 40 in Foxborough on the Patriots who had 10 days to prepare for Andy Reid.

Still hella optimistic. The Chiefs were never going to run the table. They took an L. Big whoop.

Sassy Squatch 10-15-2018 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 13819258)
Heck, the Ravens defense got torched by Andy Dalton. But even in a league with a lot of bad defense, the Chiefs defense still makes you shake your head. The non-existent tackling is particularly ridiculous at the professional level.

We are the worst in a field of historically bad.

Rain Man 10-15-2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13819237)
Can you point to a single move in the 2018 offseason and say Veach did a good job? All I can see is Nnadi and getting a sucker to trade for Smith.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupidStunt (Post 13819225)
So you're basically expecting a perfect GM. All I can say is good luck. Every fan in the league complains about the bad, even in NE who have had MORE than their share of draft failures, all bailed out by having Brady. Literal end of story.

I'm really curious about how our scouting is so good on offense and special teams and so bad on defense. We're plucking offensive and special teams gems in middle and late rounds, yet can't get a decent defensive player in early rounds. Who's making the final scouting recommendations on defensive talent acquisition?

FAX 10-15-2018 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13819266)
Didnt bother posting last night. Slept on it instead.

Woke up and remembered that 1 loss doesn't matter when you have a decade of dominance approaching. The Chiefs just hung 40 in Foxborough on the Patriots who had 10 days to prepare for Andy Reid.

Still hella optimistic. The Chiefs were never going to run the table. They took an L. Big whoop.

Big this.

FAX

Pasta Little Brioni 10-15-2018 09:24 AM

Yet 5 teams have given up more points....the game is a joke now.

CupidStunt 10-15-2018 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13819267)
We are the worst in a field of historically bad.

...with the best QB.

Guess which matters more?

****ing come on. You seem like a smart guy but this negativity is dumb. You're coming off like you'd prefer a brand new and shiny Nissan than a used Ferrari.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-15-2018 09:32 AM

Bears were supposed to have an elite defense....Biff Assweiler came off the bench and fisted them for like 400 yards, a bunch of points, and multiple TDs. The game is that pathetic now.

Halfcan 10-15-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupidStunt (Post 13819225)
So you're basically expecting a perfect GM. All I can say is good luck. Every fan in the league complains about the bad, even in NE who have had MORE than their share of draft failures, all bailed out by having Brady. Literal end of story.

I love Veech- but he has failed us on the defensive side of the ball so far.

Prime example- 2 of our worst defensive players from the last few years - Zombo and Parker are still starters on this shit defensive squad. Seriously? Veech could not find the 100th worse players to take over for the 129th worst?

He needs to start over after this year. Fire Sutton and bring in a young aggressive D coordinator that can begin a Real rebuild from the bottom up. Let the new guy bring in an entirely new staff.

Make the hard choices like- Cutting Berry- take the HUGE cap loss which will suck, but he hasn't played in forever and can't even get himself on the practice field. This contract will haunt us for several more years. There is no reason he should keep taking up a roster spot.

Move Fuller back to the slot where he was a stud.

Force Houston to restructure or cut him. His production does not come close to matching his paycheck.

Cut Ragland, Scandrick, Parker, Zombo, Sorensen.

All of these points have been gone over many, many times on here, so it is not new info.

Let's see how much of this list Veech actually gets done by kickoff of next year.

Sassy Squatch 10-15-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupidStunt (Post 13819300)
...with the best QB.

Guess which matters more?

****ing come on. You seem like a smart guy but this negativity is dumb. You're coming off like you'd prefer a brand new and shiny Nissan than a used Ferrari.

I didn't know we could only have one or the other. My bad.

Halfcan 10-15-2018 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13819270)
I'm really curious about how our scouting is so good on offense and special teams and so bad on defense. We're plucking offensive and special teams gems in middle and late rounds, yet can't get a decent defensive player in early rounds. Who's making the final scouting recommendations on defensive talent acquisition?

Excellent point! Not to mention Veech felt like he should burn draft stock and move up to get these guys. :rolleyes:

FAX 10-15-2018 09:39 AM

I refuse to be dragged into pessimism. I've had innumerable seasons of sorrow and despair and, as far as I'm concerned, I've paid my dues.

For the first time in a very, very long time, the future is actually bright and I can see the sun of hope shining through the clouds of misery. I don't want to ruin that feeling by sulking over a 43 to 40 loss to the Pats and officials at Foxborough.

The Chiefs have no reason to hang their heads over this game. None. Wally simply needs to aggravate the living hell out of Mahomes before kickoff each week because it's obvious he plays better when he's pissed.

FAX

Halfcan 10-15-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 13819335)
I refuse to be dragged into pessimism. I've had innumerable seasons of sorrow and despair and, as far as I'm concerned, I've paid my dues.

For the first time in a very, very long time, the future is actually bright and I can see the sun of hope shining through the clouds of misery. I don't want to ruin that feeling by sulking over a 43 to 40 loss to the Pats and officials at Foxborough.

The Chiefs have no reason to hang their heads over this game. None. Wally simply needs to aggravate the living hell out of Mahomes before kickoff each week because it's obvious he plays better when he's pissed.

FAX

Great post!

And plus Mahomes proved if we need a TD in 12 seconds- he and Hill can gt it done. Mahomes was amazing the second half. Best QB in the NFL right now despite a few speed bumps as he learns.

CupidStunt 10-15-2018 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13819328)
I didn't know we could only have one or the other. My bad.

Well, if that's your expectation, there's nothing much I can say. Maybe that's my expectation 2 years from now.

Eagles - drafted Wentz #2 overall, had been drafting well on D for years, basically a perfect storm - and it came together in Wentz' 2nd year as the starter

Vikings - spent years and $$$ building a D, had a terrible QB situation, now they paid a billion for one, good for them - again, a couple years ahead of KC in the process

That's it. The Rams are not good on defense. I would not trade our entire roster for either of those above, because their advantages on D do not nearly outweigh us having Mahomes. The Vikes have a lot of pieces on offense too with their WR, but Mahomes and his age and contract >>>>>> Cousins.

In theory, we could be be an infinitely better team next year, the same on offense but with multiple upgrades on defense.

This train has barely even started and will only gain speed.