ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Need the help and advice from some of the most responsible people I know. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=304976)

C3HIEF3S 01-05-2017 05:22 PM

Need the help and advice from some of the most responsible people I know.

Hello CP, I come before you to seek a solution of a dilemma that I am currently in regarding a work situation.

As many of you know and as you can probably tell, I attend KU. There, I do some marketing intern work with their AD as I did with my past school Eastern Illinois University. Working in sports, as I have read, is something that you need to break into at base level and then climb the mountain from there. I enjoy the work, and in December made a connection with a woman who works for a certain professional sports team within the area who was helping with some work for KU. Let's just say working for this sports organization would be a dream job for me, and also one that I would say would be a huge accomplishment for myself.

I made conversation with this particular woman for a good while during one of the KU MBB games and by the end of the work day she told me about an open marketing intern position for the upcoming season with this sports team and took my name down. I went home that night, updated my resume, and had the application sent in by the end of the night.

Fast forward to yesterday, about a month later, I received an email from another lady within this certain sports organization asking to come in for an in-person interview. So I think to myself, holy ****ing shit..
http://i.imgur.com/7drHiqr.gif
(credit to Chiefspants for the gif idea)

The only problem is that the interview timeslots that I am supposed to choose from are on January 10th and 11th. But with my luck right now, I am at home in Illinois for winter break for another week and a half. Not scheduled to fly back to KC until Saturday, the 14th.

I began to type out an email asking to reschedule for a time after the 14th. Then I became conflicted in that this is an application for an internship, which has no obligation over quite literally anything in the grand scheme of things. Which also, this sports organization runs on their own time and not to that of any colleges or follow the guidelines of any winter breaks. Therefore, wouldn't it be my responsibility to be present on their dates? I am sure there are many applicants, or I would think so, so I believe it would be just as easy for them to cross my name off of a list and turn to an applicant that will be in the area on the date.

So do I ask to possibly reschedule? Do you guys think that they would understand that most of the people working in this position are around college-age which means they may be away? Or do you believe that I should not bother emailing and just reschedule my flight on short notice (on extra cost)?

All advice is welcome,

C3

eDave 01-05-2017 05:26 PM

Thinking like a Hiring Manager, I would move on from you. I'm already wondering what else you will blow off.

If you want the internship (and I know you do), you see them when they want to see you. This is more important than winter break and you will regret it.

raybec 4 01-05-2017 05:26 PM

Show up when they need you. It sends a bad vibe to start the relationship saying you'd rather hang around with your homies than attend even the first step of the process.

Pointer19 01-05-2017 05:29 PM

I agree with Dave. It sucks to cough up some of your break, but a few days in the grand scheme of things is hardly anything if it ends up getting you a lifelong dream.

ScareCrowe 01-05-2017 05:29 PM

If it were me & I really wanted the internship I'd just reschedule. They're probably planning on interviewing only those days & I would really be surprised if they'd make a special appointment for you 3 days after they were planning on being done. Especially if it's a pretty sought after internship.

gblowfish 01-05-2017 05:31 PM

The way to get the job you want is to work harder at it than anybody else. It's really that simple.

temper11 01-05-2017 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 12662396)
Thinking like a Hiring Manager, I would move on from you. If you want the internship, you see them when they want to see you.

If you want it, go home early and eat the cost of the changed ticket. You may or may not get it, but if you reschedule and don't get it, you'll kick yourself for the rest of your life not knowing if you f-d your own damn self.

Good luck.

displacedinMN 01-05-2017 05:34 PM

Go to the interview at the time. In today's world-take advantage of when you can-otherwise there is someone to take it for you.
If it is a money issue, maybe someone can help you out.

TambaBerry 01-05-2017 05:36 PM

you already know the answer before you asked it here, which is why you didn't end up emailing her to reschedule. Suck it up, go in there and also it might be good to mention that you were glad to find an earlier flight back to be able to make it to this interview. It would show that you really wanted it.

eDave 01-05-2017 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 12662419)
you already know the answer before you asked it here, which is why you didn't end up emailing her to reschedule. Suck it up, go in there and also it might be good to mention that you were glad to find an earlier flight back to be able to make it to this interview. It would show that you really wanted it.

EXCELLENT point.

Hog's Gone Fishin 01-05-2017 05:42 PM

Tell them you need to reschedule because you heard it might snow and anyway Tuesdays are set aside for swine masturbation.

ScareCrowe 01-05-2017 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 12662419)

This, plus as an added bonus there's always a small chance that they will say "Oh well we can do it on the 15th" granted I wouldn't hold my breath, but it's a possibility. Plus as the quoted poster said it lets them know you really want it bad enough to reschedule a flight on your own dime.

King_Chief_Fan 01-05-2017 05:54 PM

I retired as Global Director of Human Resources for the company Supply Chain Org of the company.
I directed my org to work with the interns schedule as school and time to visit family is important. Especially if the candidate is highly qualified. Companies should be flexible in this situation. All that being said....I know nothing about sports industry and how they operate.

C3HIEF3S 01-05-2017 06:21 PM

Venturing on the safe side and flying back next Tuesday. Thanks for the advice everyone!

lewdog 01-05-2017 06:22 PM

Agreed with what's been said.

If it's a field where you are sorely needed, you could probably reschedule. But in an industry where getting your foot in the door is huge, don't take a chance.

Nice going kid.