ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Thomas Jones to donate brain for study after death (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268964)

nychief 01-16-2013 10:54 AM

Thomas Jones to donate brain for study after death

Thomas Jones fears developing CTE
Updated: January 16, 2013, 10:00 AM ET
By Jane McManus | ESPNNewYork.com

Thomas Jones, a retired running back who played for five teams in 12 NFL seasons, has decided to donate his brain upon his death to the Sports Legacy Institute to be studied for evidence of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). Jones said he has no idea how many concussions he sustained, but that he's concerned with what they could mean for his future.

"Honestly, like I couldn't give you a number because you just play with them," Jones said. "You can't know; nobody does. I think the guys counting the concussions were the ones that got knocked out."

The Sports Legacy Institute won't confirm individual donations, but a spokesperson said that more than 600 living athletes have decided to donate their brains to be studied. Of 34 neural tissue samples from NFL players, 33 had evidence of CTE. Jones said he can only guess at what has happened to his brain after 20 years of games and practices -- and numerous "baby concussions" -- through his NFL, college and high school career.

"It's like taking a fresh, ripe apple and tapping it with your thumb over and over again," Jones said.

Jones is in the editing process of a documentary series, "The NFL: The Gift or the Curse?" The first of six planned episodes, produced by Jones' company Independently Major Entertainment Films, deals with concussions and suicide.

He interviewed Ann McKee, co-director of the Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy at Boston University and co-director Chris Nowinski about the issue. Jones decided to make his donation after conducting interviews for the project.

Last week, Junior Seau's family revealed that his brain showed evidence of CTE when he committed suicide last year. This generation of players is the first to play with concrete evidence that they could be compromising not-too-distant futures by playing professional football.

In the documentary, Jones also interviewed former defensive end Adewale Ogunleye, who was drafted by the Dolphins in 2000. Ogunleye sees ominous signs in what might just be everyday forgetfulness.

"Somebody might tell me their name; I don't remember it right away," Ogunleye said. "Now I kind of laugh it off but when stuff like that happens, I'll be like, 'Damn, I hope these concussions don't come back to haunt us in the end.' And if they do, I just pray someone is there to help me through the tough times that may come."

In the rough cut, Ogunleye then puts his face in his hands. Jones comes over and puts his arm on Ogunleye's shoulder.

These issues are personal for NFL players. Jones uses the example of Dave Duerson's suicide in February of last year.

"His suicide, you see it on TV and it's just news," Jones said. "But to us, it's more than that."

Jones envisions the series as the players speaking directly to the fans about the pitfalls of playing in the NFL. He understands that many people see attaining the dream of playing in the NFL as a dream come true, but wants to show what it looks like through the eyes of the men who reached that goal.

"The fans look at it as money," Jones said, "but once you've bought everything you want, you realize there is more you want out of life."

The series also will focus on issues such as domestic violence and financial pressures. Jones is talking with possible distributors for the project.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...n-science-dies

loochy 01-16-2013 10:56 AM

I hope they have an electron microscope handy.

Chief_For_Life58 01-16-2013 11:00 AM

im kinda excited to see this documentary hes helping put together

HolyHat 01-16-2013 11:07 AM

I love how all these Athletes try and make us feel sorry for them. You signed the million dollar contract to get hit in the head thousands of times, nobody forced you to do it. You could have gone a different route with your free college degree. Shut the **** up and cash your check while the rest of us work 9-5. I don't care about your head problems, not even a little bit.

InChiefsHeaven 01-16-2013 11:08 AM

This will be the end of football. Not the documentary, but the concussions. Mom's and dad's won't want their kids to even start playing because of this. If it can be demonstrated that the sport, played over the course of about 20 years, can screw your brain up like this, parents won't even want their kids to get started in it.

Me, I played until sophomore year. Was a "B" teamer and special teams guy. In other words, I sucked, so I was fodder for the A team. I got my ass kicked a lot, but I stopped at the age of 16. I see no ill effects. But I quit way earlier than these guys.

I dunno. It's depressing.

Dayze 01-16-2013 11:11 AM

2 inches per / CTE

Dayze 01-16-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9324070)
This will be the end of football. Not the documentary, but the concussions. Mom's and dad's won't want their kids to even start playing because of this. If it can be demonstrated that the sport, played over the course of about 20 years, can screw your brain up like this, parents won't even want their kids to get started in it.

Me, I played until sophomore year. Was a "B" teamer and special teams guy. In other words, I sucked, so I was fodder for the A team. I got my ass kicked a lot, but I stopped at the age of 16. I see no ill effects. But I quit way earlier than these guys.

watch the documentary "Head Games". I watched it for the F of it one late Saturday night after gaming/drinking; I thought it was very interesting.

Skyy God 01-16-2013 11:16 AM

Gonna be hard for his brain to get to the Sports Legacy Institute 3 yards at a time.....

loochy 01-16-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 9324122)
Gonna be hard for his brain to get to the Sports Legacy Institute 3 yards at a time.....

3 yards? I wish. Try 1 yard.

HolyHat 01-16-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 9324122)

I get it...

HolyHat 01-16-2013 11:23 AM

I get a headache if I don't drink 2 red bulls in a day. Should I donate my brain?

These guys all want to come out after they retire and cry about injuries. Ok, thats fine please return all your money to the NFL vault and we will fix your brain.

Amnorix 01-16-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

So let's assume you started when you were at 8 years old, which is about as early as it gets. You played 8 years, total. And when you're young you seriously just aren't moving all that fast. The violence of the collisions increases as you get older.

If Jones started at the same age as you, he played your 8 years, plus 2 more HS years, plus 4 more college, plus 12 pro, so a total of 26 years. More than triple you, and MOST of those were when the action is much, much faster/harder, and the chances of concussion that might higher.

That, more than anything else, is why you're almost definitely fine, and he is probably ****ed.

Brock 01-16-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9324064)
I don't care about your head problems, not even a little bit.

Stupid.

Amnorix 01-16-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

I love how all these Athletes try and make us feel sorry for them. You signed the million dollar contract to get hit in the head thousands of times, nobody forced you to do it. You could have gone a different route with your free college degree. Shut the **** up and cash your check while the rest of us work 9-5. I don't care about your head problems, not even a little bit.

You're an idiot. Just sayin'

HolyHat 01-16-2013 11:32 AM

I don't care what anyone says, my mind will not change about this. You choose your path. You knew the risks involved, don't come crying about it. You could have taken your free college education and gotten a great job working for 6 figures, and not had to worry about concussions. Instead you wanted big money so you took the risk. I don't give a shit. Go play tennis next time pussy

HolyHat 01-16-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9324181)
You're an idiot. Just sayin'

Go blow Tom Brady

InChiefsHeaven 01-16-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9324177)
So let's assume you started when you were at 8 years old, which is about as early as it gets. You played 8 years, total. And when you're young you seriously just aren't moving all that fast. The violence of the collisions increases as you get older.

If Jones started at the same age as you, he played your 8 years, plus 2 more HS years, plus 4 more college, plus 12 pro, so a total of 26 years. More than triple you, and MOST of those were when the action is much, much faster/harder, and the chances of concussion that might higher.

That, more than anything else, is why you're almost definitely fine, and he is probably ****ed.

Agreed, totally. I guess I was trying to illustrate that none if us can know the toll it takes on your body because there are no professional or hell very few college athletes (if any) on this board, so we can't go off our own life experience of "Sucking it up and get through it".

Amnorix 01-16-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9324190)
I don't care what anyone says, my mind will not change about this. You choose your path. You knew the risks involved, don't come crying about it. You could have taken your free college education and gotten a great job working for 6 figures, and not had to worry about concussions. Instead you wanted big money so you took the risk. I don't give a shit. Go play tennis next time pussy

I'll spend a few minutes on this, though God knows why because I damn well know it's a waste of time:

1. until the last few years, nobody really understood just how damaging multiple concussions could be to the quality of life of football players post-career. So yes, they understood the risk of injury, but did they understand that multiple concussions might leave them seriously mentally impaired on a daily basis by the time they were 50? Hell no.

2. You say they are whining and want sympathy. I didn't see any whining there. I saw a bunch of statements of obvious facts, and CONCERN that he MIGHT be in trouble in the future. Like any normal human would be concerned.

3. It seems to me that donating one's brain to scientific study, and discussing this issue, can only help future players and the NFL try to figure out how to play the game in a way that we recognize as football, while trying to avoid having a psychiatric ward full of mentally impaired former NFL players.

What, exactly, did Jones do that was wrong here? Answer: nothing.

But by all means go back to your knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing "he knew da risks, **** 'im" point of view. I'm sure that will be very beneficial to former, current and future NFL players.

InChiefsHeaven 01-16-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9324153)
I get a headache if I don't drink 2 red bulls in a day. Should I donate my brain?

There doesn't appear to be much for them to study, so I'd say don't bother...

Amnorix 01-16-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9324210)
Agreed, totally. I guess I was trying to illustrate that none if us can know the toll it takes on your body because there are no professional or hell very few college athletes (if any) on this board, so we can't go off our own life experience of "Sucking it up and get through it".

Yeah, most of us can't relate. Even if you played all the way through high school, varsity, you DID NOT play in a major college program for 4 years (where the speed and force of collisions are what? Double? Triple your average HS?) and then for years more at the NFL (where you can probably double or triple them again).

Also, some positions are going to be far more prone to this than others. QB? Kicker? Punter? Offensive Line? Defensive line? Chances are you probably aren't taking the kind of repeated head shots that players at other positions are taking.

Amnorix 01-16-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9324214)
There doesn't appear to be much for them to study, so I'd say don't bother...

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

HolyHat 01-16-2013 11:40 AM

What more can they possibly do to make the game safer without making it flag football is my point.

DaneMcCloud 01-16-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

These guys all want to come out after they retire and cry about injuries. Ok, thats fine please return all your money to the NFL vault and we will fix your brain.

You're really ****ing stupid

RealSNR 01-16-2013 11:41 AM

Jones was already about as useful as a brain in a jar when we got him.

InChiefsHeaven 01-16-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9324228)
What more can they possibly do to make the game safer without making it flag football is my point.

That didn't seem like the point you were making.

My point is, it's depressing because at the end of the day, there is not much more that can be done to make the game safer. It is what it is.

Brock 01-16-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9324228)

No, that wasn't your point. Your point was the same as every other sidewalk commando who thinks addressing brain trauma in football players is whining.

nychief 01-16-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

okay...that is equatable.... or.... just ****ing stupid.

loochy 01-16-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9324190)

The we have to hear about preventing knee degradation in tennis players

HolyHat 01-16-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 9324267)
okay...that is equatable.... or.... just ****ing stupid.

I understand that you guys dont know me, so I should probably lay off the sarcasm a bit.

The point is, what else can be done to make the game safer? Donating your brain is great. In the long term what is that going to accomplish? It's going to show more evidence of how violent the game really is. Its going to scare parents off from teaching there kids the game.

boogblaster 01-16-2013 12:25 PM

suspose his brain never was right .....

Brock 01-16-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9324291)
I understand that you guys dont know me, so I should probably lay off the sarcasm a bit.

The point is, what else can be done to make the game safer? Donating your brain is great. In the long term what is that going to accomplish? It's going to show more evidence of how violent the game really is. Its going to scare parents off from teaching there kids the game.

Is facing the truth something you often run away from?

Valiant 01-16-2013 12:31 PM

I guess rbs need to learn to quit using their heads as weapons.

ThaVirus 01-16-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9324213)
I'll spend a few minutes on this, though God knows why because I damn well know it's a waste of time:

1. until the last few years, nobody really understood just how damaging multiple concussions could be to the quality of life of football players post-career. So yes, they understood the risk of injury, but did they understand that multiple concussions might leave them seriously mentally impaired on a daily basis by the time they were 50? Hell no.

2. You say they are whining and want sympathy. I didn't see any whining there. I saw a bunch of statements of obvious facts, and CONCERN that he MIGHT be in trouble in the future. Like any normal human would be concerned.

3. It seems to me that donating one's brain to scientific study, and discussing this issue, can only help future players and the NFL try to figure out how to play the game in a way that we recognize as football, while trying to avoid having a psychiatric ward full of mentally impaired former NFL players.

But by all means go back to your knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing "he knew da risks, **** 'im" point of view. I'm sure that will be very beneficial to former, current and future NFL players.

Good post. Agree on all points.

bowener 01-16-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogblaster (Post 9324510)
suspose his brain never was right .....

So he was born with CTE? As in he suffered countless hits to the head while in the womb?

Dayze 01-16-2013 12:41 PM

here's a question I've wondered.

What sort of ratio do we think the increased concussions are related to?

The improved knowledge, and ability to identify concussion symptoms?

or the god awful NFL tackling? it seems like 90% of the time (probably an exaggeratino) these guys just lauche their heads, head-first - into any big/high speed tackle. ?

Molitoth 01-16-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

You signed the million dollar contract to get hit in the head thousands of times, nobody forced you to do it. You could have gone a different route with your free college degree. cash your check while the rest of us work 9-5.

Totally this. edited.

DaneMcCloud 01-16-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Bullshit.

You weren't being "sarcastic", at all. Anyone who throws out the "Oh, but they make millions of dollars" is outright jealous.

Furthermore, even THAT is ****ing bullshit. There are guys throughout the league earning less than $100k a year on the practice squad, guys on rookie contracts that received NO signing bonus playing for less than $200k, etc.

Quote:

The point is, what else can be done to make the game safer?

What else? Are you this ****ing reeruned?

How about a brain trauma doctors on the side line of every team that decided when a player can re-enter a game after a violent hit? How about a new helmet design? How about massive fines and suspensions for guys that can't follow the rules and continue to use their head or cause concussions for other players?

Additionally, the players themselves need to be educated about concussions so that they're able to say "Enough".

Reading about Seau's constant headaches and neck pain, along with Fred McCreary's description of what he deals with every day after years of hitting should be mandatory reading.

And donating brains for study will absolutely lead to more cautious decisions of whether or not a child should or shouldn't play football at a young age.

Rausch 01-16-2013 12:44 PM

I'm not sure why this draws the ire.

He was an average player that could help protect NFL players in the future.

Dayze 01-16-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9324627)
I'm not sure why this draws the ire.

He was an average player that could help protect NFL players in the future.

It's because it's CP.

oh, and **** YOU

:D

gblowfish 01-16-2013 12:48 PM

I just wish he'd come back to training camp next summer and beat the crap out of Jon Baldwin.

Ecto-I 01-16-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

I don't necessarily agree. You're right that many potential players will be kept out because of the injury risk, however many of these athletes are people for which athletics was their only option to "make it".

A lot of these guys are from low class neighborhoods where the choice is either play sports, or play on the streets. As such, I think football will survive even with growing awareness of long term repercussions.

Hammock Parties 01-16-2013 12:52 PM

I'd like Cassel to donate his brain.

I will keep it alive, suspended in a vat, placing his consciousnesses in eternal hell, feeding his pain receptors constant current.

notorious 01-16-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9324177)

And I would like to add that ONE NFL hit to the head = Entire High School "career".

Molitoth 01-16-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9324690)
I'd like Cassel to donate his brain.

I will keep it alive, suspended in a vat, placing his consciousnesses in eternal hell, feeding his pain receptors constant current.

ROFL

InChiefsHeaven 01-16-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9324615)
Bullshit.

You weren't being "sarcastic", at all. Anyone who throws out the "Oh, but they make millions of dollars" is outright jealous.

Furthermore, even THAT is ****ing bullshit. There are guys throughout the league earning less than $100k a year on the practice squad, guys on rookie contracts that received NO signing bonus playing for less than $200k, etc.

What else? Are you this ****ing reeruned?

How about a brain trauma doctors on the side line of every team that decided when a player can re-enter a game after a violent hit? How about a new helmet design? How about massive fines and suspensions for guys that can't follow the rules and continue to use their head or cause concussions for other players?

Additionally, the players themselves need to be educated about concussions so that they're able to say "Enough".

Reading about Seau's constant headaches and neck pain, along with Fred McCreary's description of what he deals with every day after years of hitting should be mandatory reading.

And donating brains for study will absolutely lead to more cautious decisions of whether or not a child should or shouldn't play football at a young age.

Agreed. Seems the new helmet technology is already here...or at least much better helmets:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...ion-prevention

Sorry if Q.

Rambozo 01-16-2013 01:08 PM

So if they don't find anything wrong with his brain will that confirm that Baldwin is a big puss?

Rausch 01-16-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9324633)
It's because it's CP.

oh, and **** YOU

:D

You've always had a very under-average penis...

cosmo20002 01-16-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 9324017)
Thomas Jones to donate brain for study after death

Maybe they will be able to locate the 1 yard per carry gene.

Actually, he had an excellent career--but that last year or so was just brutal.

El Jefe 01-16-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

:clap::clap::clap: It's like, you are in my head thinking my thoughts. GREAT post!

cosmo20002 01-16-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

So, you're kind of a dick, huh?

Amnorix 01-16-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9324254)
That didn't seem like the point you were making.

My point is, it's depressing because at the end of the day, there is not much more that can be done to make the game safer. It is what it is.

I think that elimination of kickoff returns is coming. Sad, but probably true. I keep hoping that they can redesign helmets or something...

nychief 01-16-2013 01:16 PM

Where are these athletes trying to make us feel bad for them?

DaneMcCloud 01-16-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Jefe (Post 9324784)
:clap::clap::clap: It's like, you are in my head thinking my thoughts. GREAT post!

Great post? Are you ****ing reeruned?

How many of the 1,700 NFL players earn a million dollars per season?

DaneMcCloud 01-16-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9324798)
So, you're kind of a dick, huh?

No, he's being sarcastic.

:spock:

Well, that was his excuse after being called a dumbass numerous times.

Thig Lyfe 01-16-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 9324017)
The first of six planned episodes, produced by Jones' company Independently Major Entertainment Films, deals with concussions and suicide.

Apparently he was already suffering from brain damage when he named his production company.

InChiefsHeaven 01-16-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9324806)
I think that elimination of kickoff returns is coming. Sad, but probably true. I keep hoping that they can redesign helmets or something...

Posted a link about new helmets on the last page. Seems encouraging.

But man, you get rid of kick returns and it really changes things. As I understand it the proposed idea is the scoring team instead of kicking off gets the ball on their own 20, where it's "4th and 15". SO, they can choose to go for it (like an onside kick) or punt it away. I guess more bad things happen on kick returns than punt returns.

And as far as the beginning of the game, I guess the coin toss winner just gets the ball at the 20 or something...I dunno.

It just feels like if they go to this, it would just suck.

DaneMcCloud 01-16-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9324837)
It just feels like if they go to this, it would just suck.

It would suck for older viewers for a few years, then like any other rule change that's been made over the years, it would fade into oblivion.

Young viewers would never know the difference. Plus, the NFL knows that its audience doesn't live and die by the kickoff.

mikey23545 01-16-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

I can understand your lack of human compassion.

Besides your career as a big time NFL scout which must have led to your obvious penis envy, it is also very clear you've had way too many concussions yourself...

ElGringo 01-16-2013 02:12 PM

One thing that I have heard elsewhere before was the idea of going back to the old time leather helmets and minimal pads. Right now the NFL players use their bodies as weapons because they are wearing suits of armor. Back when they had minimal padding, they had to learn the real fundamentals of the game and how to attack in control so no one got hurt. While I don't think this is THE ANSWER, I do believe there is some merit to this line of thought.

HolyHat 01-16-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9324862)
I can understand your lack of human compassion.

Besides your career as a big time NFL scout which must have led to your obvious penis envy, it is also very clear you've had way too many concussions yourself...

I spent 6 months working with my uncle for a pro team, I've never claimed to be some super scout. I was a piss on intern pretty much. I did it to pass time and try something that I thought I would love, I hated it so much that I decided to go defend your country for 4 years instead. Is that ok with you? You ****ing dumb dick clown douche excuse for a human. Go piss on your balls loser.

Brock 01-16-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9325081)
I spent 6 months working with my uncle for a pro team, I've never claimed to be some super scout. I was a piss on intern pretty much. I did it to pass time and try something that I thought I would love, I hated it so much that I decided to go defend your country for 4 years instead. Is that ok with you? You ****ing dumb dick clown douche excuse for a human. Go piss on your balls loser.

Thanks for your service. You're still dumb.

Marcellus 01-16-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9324810)

How many of the 1,700 NFL players earn a million dollars per season?

I know most of them don't but you can bet your ass every single one of them is trying to get that multi million $ payday.

How many of them do you think aren't aware of the risks?

Lets go one step farther, how many don't know the risks and would walk away once they know the risk?I believe that number to be 0.

HemiEd 01-16-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

"Somebody might tell me their name; I don't remember it right away," Ogunleye said.
This is normal as you have to train yourself to pick up on names when introduced.

Most people aren't paying attention or are distracted about the ensuing conversation and thinking about what they want to contribute.

New World Order 01-16-2013 02:47 PM

KC Sporting is right.

While everyone else must go to school, work hard and then work 9-5 for the rest of their lives these guys can play in the NFL and retire before 30. Then they talk about head injuries and want everyone to feel sorry for them. It will be much worse in 10 years, players will CHOOSE on their own to play and then complain about the lack of treatment they received from the NFL. For future considerations if they are concerned then do something else.

Deberg_1990 01-16-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElGringo (Post 9325064)
One thing that I have heard elsewhere before was the idea of going back to the old time leather helmets and minimal pads. Right now the NFL players use their bodies as weapons because they are wearing suits of armor. Back when they had minimal padding, they had to learn the real fundamentals of the game and how to attack in control so no one got hurt. While I don't think this is THE ANSWER, I do believe there is some merit to this line of thought.

They already do that, its called Rugby and nobody cares.

nychief 01-16-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9325081)

Typical whiny soldier...

Rausch 01-16-2013 02:51 PM

Oddly enough donating your brain to science has just become selfish.

Somehow...

HolyHat 01-16-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 9325264)
Typical whiny soldier...

And I'm the dick? ROFL

You couldnt spend 2 weeks in the military you pussy. Stick to being a message board tough guy with your name calling. We will handle the tough shit.

Hog's Gone Fishin 01-16-2013 03:16 PM

It's a copycat league.

warpaint* 01-16-2013 03:18 PM

Why is it that these athletes only say there is more to life than $ after they make it?

The hypocrisy is obnoxious.

They are highly paid to play a game that comes w/ OBVIOUS inherent risk to physical health. Huge athletic freaks of nature running around at high speed colliding with each other over and over the course of years. The same group of guys that claim their coaches and/or doctors and/or league lied to them were lying to said coaches/doctors about how hurt they were in order to stay on the field and KEEP the jobs they are crying crocodile tears over in an effort to shockingly make some more $.

Hog's Gone Fishin 01-16-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 9325235)
KC Sporting is right.

While everyone else must go to school, work hard and then work 9-5 for the rest of their lives these guys can play in the NFL and retire before 30. Then they talk about head injuries and want everyone to feel sorry for them. It will be much worse in 10 years, players will CHOOSE on their own to play and then complain about the lack of treatment they received from the NFL. For future considerations if they are concerned then do something else.

Good point. I think I'll donate my right hand and forearm to science. I can already tell it's going bad.

WhiteWhale 01-16-2013 03:21 PM

There are all types of professions where you risk life and limb for less money and less glory than NFL players.

Also, anyone who thought smashing your head into other people's head while running full speed would not negatively impact your brain... well, it obviously wasn't something you were using in the first place.

Moreover, all of these men had a chance at a free post secondary education. How many of you had that opportunity?

Finally, they can retired and enter the workforce at any time. They are in no way obligated to play until their body breaks down and they have to quit.

I'm sorry, but these NFL players pretty much blame everyone except the primary person responsible.

nychief 01-16-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9325367)
And I'm the dick? ROFL

You couldnt spend 2 weeks in the military you pussy. Stick to being a message board tough guy with your name calling. We will handle the tough shit.

you made your money, stop complaining.

warpaint* 01-16-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Meh, I do feel sympathy for anyone suffering physically or dying or whatever even when it's self inflicted but I agree w/ everything else you said here.

warpaint* 01-16-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

I think it is all about educating kids from when they are very young as to how to safely tackle and changing the culture of the sport w/ respect to trying to hurt other players in an effort to win or be macho or whatever. It's not going to fix everything but I think it could go a way in helping.

WhiteWhale 01-16-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

'Nobody'? Actually neurologists did know. 'Multiple concussions causes brain damage and increases the chance of future concussions" was something the NFL knew about and lied to their players about for 20 years.

Yet this information was readily available to me as a 16 year old kid doing a high school report over 15 years ago. To say 'nobody knew' is a lie intentional or not. The entire neurological community knew.

I sympathize that the players were lied to, but I'm also somewhat embarrassed that they allowed themselves to be so ignorant they believed these lies that contradicted all medical facts from the qualified community.

beach tribe 01-16-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElGringo (Post 9325064)

Nice Post. It actually make sense. I had a discussion with a rugby fan who said that NFL players were pussies for even wearing helmets and pads. I argued that those helmets and pads actually increase the violent impacts in the game, and I'll bet if they did a study, they would find that there are fewer CCn's in rugby because people would not lead with their heads if they didn't have those helmets on, and there's no way you can hit with the force that they do in the NFL without the pads. I do think there would be MANY fewer concussions if they were not wearing so much equipment.

DaneMcCloud 01-16-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9325367)
And I'm the dick? ROFL

Oh shit. I didn't know you were a tough guy.

Wow. So cool.

nychief 01-16-2013 04:26 PM

Bad omens for the future of the game, that is for sure.

BlackHelicopters 01-16-2013 05:45 PM

Wasn't Jones a Harvard graduate?