ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Patrick Mahomes - A Godly Hard Count (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320466)

dlphg9 01-15-2019 01:05 PM

Patrick Mahomes - A Godly Hard Count

So something that I haven't seen many people talking about is how good Patrick Mahomes is at getting the D to jump off sides. It seems that every game Mahomes is getting the opponents defense to go early, so once again I got a bit curious as to what the numbers looked like.

We will start with offside penalties. In total PMII forced the D to jump offside 21 times over the course of the season (these numbers included postseason games). The next closest team was the Bengals with a measly 13. So getting the opponent to jump offside is very impressive, but I think the most impressive is that 9 of those 21 penalties were declined. That means when Patrick Mahomes was given a free play, he was able to take advantage of that free play 43% of the time. The 2nd place team (Bengals) only had 3 declined offside penalties. Not only is he the best to get the other team to jump offside, but he is also elite at making the most of those free plays. When you add in the 4 encroachment penalties and the 9 neutral zone infractions to the offside penalties it gives Mahomes 34 times that he was able to make the opponents jump. That is good enough to put the Chiefs at the top of the league and the next closest team is the Redskins with 20 (7 offside, 0 encroachment, 13 NZI). Last year the Chiefs had 23 of the combined penalties.

Seriously, is there anything that he isn't elite at? I knew he was good at getting the other team to jump, but I didn't realize how much he dominated everyone else.

Skyy God 01-15-2019 01:06 PM

Setting up the punter.

htismaqe 01-15-2019 01:07 PM

This is one of THE most interesting parts of his game, IMO.

I cannot believe how well he uses the hard count for being a 1st-year starter.

jjjayb 01-15-2019 01:12 PM

It's that froggy voice that makes people jump. Must be a subconscious thing. :D

Dayze 01-15-2019 01:16 PM

you mean he shouldn't be like Cam and yell out a prolonged "Reeeaddyyyyyyyyyyy....set hut"

each and every time?

Prison Bitch 01-15-2019 01:16 PM

The DL is jumping because they’re desperate to stop us, and desperate for a pass rush since our WR cannot be covered. Esp with Pats arm reaching every spot on the field.

It’s them being jumpy moreso than his voice.

kysirsoze 01-15-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 14041169)
The DL is jumping because they’re desperate to stop us, and desperate for a pass rush since our WR cannot be covered. Esp with Pats arm reaching every spot on the field.

Definitely plays a part, but he's executing it very well. The Colts defense had been very disciplined and he made them look sloppy as hell.

htismaqe 01-15-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 14041169)

ROFL

RockChalk 01-15-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14041191)
ROFL

Is there anything he's good at evaluating? You should read his takes in the KU Hoops thread.

Prison Bitch 01-15-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 14041190)
Definitely plays a part, but he's executing it very well. The Colts defense had been very disciplined and he made them look sloppy as hell.

I doubt there’s much of a phonic diff among the QB, unless we are to believe Red Rocket is also a master at this.

I’ll say this: horse-face was the one guy I’d make an exception to.

kysirsoze 01-15-2019 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 14041306)
I doubt there’s much of a phonic diff among the QB, unless we are to believe Red Rocket is also a master at this.

I’ll say this: horse-face was the one guy I’d make an exception to.

OK. Well loads of former players who have discussed it disagree that there isn't a difference from one QB to the next, but feel free to go with that.

loochy 01-15-2019 01:55 PM

Is there anything that Mahomes ISN'T good at?

Prison Bitch 01-15-2019 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 14041311)
OK. Well loads of former players who have discussed it disagree that there isn't a difference from one QB to the next, but feel free to go with that.

Then post the data, so we don’t have to debate it. I’m persuadable. “Former players have said” isn’t persuasion tho.

In 2014 for example the top QB drawing teams offsides was the sly Ryan Tannehill. 2nd was Robert Griffin. Maybe they used to be the masters?
http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/p...287397581.html

kysirsoze 01-15-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 14041338)
Then post the data, so we don’t have to debate it. I’m persuadable. “Former players have said” isn’t persuasion tho.

In 2014 for example the top QB drawing teams offsides was the sly Ryan Tannehill. 2nd was Robert Griffin. Maybe they used to be the masters?
http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/p...287397581.html

Maybe they were. There's no reason to think the best hard count QBs would also be the best in other categories. The article you posted even has the likes of Belichick explaining that some guys are just better at it. It's obviously difficult to point to a stat sheet when there's no differentiating between a forced and unforced offsides that I know of. I'll trust people that have played and coached the game on this one.

DRM08 01-15-2019 02:14 PM

Hopefully a more quiet home crowd on offense will allow him to get the Patriots offsides this weekend.