ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science Scientists find cosmic ripples from birth of universe (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282341)

Three7s 03-18-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 10499991)
Why does the universe have to be created, again?

Because the universe isn't the alpha and the omega?

Messier 03-18-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 10500051)
Probably. There is some photographic evidence that supports it. I can't imagine this is the only universe. I'm kind of partial to the bubble multiverse.

Bubble Universes

In addition to the multiple universes created by infinitely extending space-time, other universes could arise from a theory called "eternal inflation." Inflation is the notion that the universe expanded rapidly after the Big Bang, in effect inflating like a balloon. Eternal inflation, first proposed by Tufts University cosmologist Alexander Vilenkin, suggests that some pockets of space stop inflating, while other regions continue to inflate, thus giving rise to many isolated "bubble universes."

Thus, our own universe, where inflation has ended, allowing stars and galaxies to form, is but a small bubble in a vast sea of space, some of which is still inflating, that contains many other bubbles like ours. And in some of these bubble universes, the laws of physics and fundamental constants might be different than in ours, making some universes strange places indeed.

http://i.space.com/images/i/000/024/...jpg?1354898128

It's pretty mind boggling, isn't it?

Dave Lane 03-18-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three7s (Post 10500060)
Because the universe isn't the alpha and the omega?

Because it is what you believe or you have actual evidence of such?

Dave Lane 03-18-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 10500061)

Absolutely. It's mans greatest achievements that we have come to discover things so vastly far away and those so vastly small as well. I can't imagine anything more interesting or awe inspiring. I saw a quasar 10 billion light years away. Thats

6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 miles away. Thats impressive in my book.

ThatRaceCardGuy 03-18-2014 12:03 PM

The Kansas legislation does not approve this.

ActiveShooter 03-18-2014 12:25 PM

Yet we know so little about the deepest depths of our oceans.

DRU 03-18-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 10499994)
Eh. You start getting into tangled philosophical arguments. Why is there something instead of nothing? Why is there life instead of no life? Again, we're talking belief here. If one believes god created the universe, you can't tell them they're wrong.

Lawrence Krauss has answers to that.

"Krauss's latest book, A Universe from Nothing: Why There is Something Rather than Nothing, explains the scientific advances that provide insight into how the universe formed. Krauss tackles the age-old assumption that something cannot arise from nothing by arguing that not only can something arise from nothing, but something will always arise from nothing."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YUe0_4rdj0U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Messier 03-18-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRU (Post 10500324)

"Krauss's latest book, A Universe from Nothing: Why There is Something Rather than Nothing, explains the scientific advances that provide insight into how the universe formed. Krauss tackles the age-old assumption that something cannot arise from nothing by arguing that not only can something arise from nothing, but something will always arise from nothing."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YUe0_4rdj0U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Okay.

J Diddy 03-18-2014 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRU (Post 10500324)

I need to tell my bank account to read his book.

Messier 03-18-2014 02:25 PM

Not really a fan of Richard Dawkins or his posse.

crazycoffey 03-18-2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 10500053)
And now we are back on topic :)

I was just about to say, maybe the universe is round like the earth and we haven't made it all the way around yet.....

Oh and to continue being devils advocate (although I'm being dismissed). If the answer is just because I believe it; to both the religion and the universe, maybe natural sciences formed from nothing without design and by accident is just as hard to comprehend as a little invisible guy in the sky.

Perhaps, the eternal universe is the eternal being, both "super natural" and "natural science" joined together and explained by two opposite sides of our human comprehension.

crazycoffey 03-18-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 10500061)

It. Is. Very. Much. So.

Reerun_KC 03-18-2014 02:30 PM

This thread is nuttier than squirrel shit.

crazycoffey 03-18-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 10500379)
This thread is nuttier than squirrel shit.

But is it more squirrelly than coyote shit?

Fish 03-18-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycoffey (Post 10499927)
The article even points out the obvious "scientists still don't know who kicked the ball".

I would also like to point out I'm playing devils advocate on this, not trying to convince anyone the existance or non-existance of anything.

But when you rally simplify the entire arguement, science says creation happened basically by chance; while religion points more toward a designed /planned event. As far as I know it could be either. The Big Bang theory could have just been a random gas explosion, or a designed gas explosion. the findings mentioned in the OP are not proving / denying the nature to the primal question, "why".

No, Science does not say the universe happened by chance. Science says that we don't have enough information to know how the universe came to be. It's not an "either religion or science" choice regarding the beginning of the universe. The Big Bang theory doesn't actually address the creation of the universe. Because science currently doesn't have the technology to find any evidence of what happened before the universe began expanding. The Big Bang theory only addresses the time frame of several seconds after the universe was the size of a marble, to present time when the universe is measured to be 13 billion light years wide. It makes no claims of what might have happened before the universe began expanding.

The Big Bang(if true) wasn't simply a big explosion. There is no confusing the Big Bang with a random gas explosion. Before that point, there wasn't even empty space.

The findings in the OP were never meant to explain the "Why". The findings were meant to show that one of the major predictions for evidence of the Big Bang has actually been verified, giving more validity to the Big Bang theory as a whole.