ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Walking Dead ***With Comic Spoilers*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=230850)

Ceej 02-20-2012 04:40 PM

Did anyone else notice a large, ominous building during the previews of this season's shows?

I saw it last night, but it looked like what a lot of people had speculated in this thread.

BigRock 02-20-2012 06:04 PM

Lori is only Lady Macbeth if that analogy is used in the broadest possible sense of "Woman telling her husband to do something". Which would make every wife Lady Macbeth.

She's not manipulating Rick for her own purposes. Shane is a danger to Rick. We've known that since the first season when Shane got Rick in his sights and appeared to think about it. Lori bringing this to Rick's attention isn't manipulation, it's altering him to the reality that there's a possibly-unstable guy in their group who has reasons to want him out of the picture.

NewChief 02-20-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRock (Post 8386411)
Lori is only Lady Macbeth if that analogy is used in the broadest possible sense of "Woman telling her husband to do something". Which would make every wife Lady Macbeth.

She's not manipulating Rick for her own purposes. Shane is a danger to Rick. We've known that since the first season when Shane got Rick in his sights and appeared to think about it. Lori bringing this to Rick's attention isn't manipulation, it's altering him to the reality that there's a possibly-unstable guy in their group who has reasons to want him out of the picture.

It's Lady Macbeth in the sense that she's pushing the right buttons to get him to do something. It was a masterful bit of Socratic questioning that she used to get him to the realization that Shane presents a danger. I'd argue that Lady Macbeth isn't necessarily looking out for herself alone. She's looking out for their family and them as a couple. She wants them to ascend and gain power. She wants her husband to be king. Yes, she's barred by her gender from the "golden round," but she's not as interested in having that for herself as in having it for her husband. But you can certainly read her as much more demonic and evil than that.

BigRock 02-20-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8386480)
It's Lady Macbeth in the sense that she's pushing the right buttons to get him to do something.

I'm guessing you see a deviousness, for lack of a better word, to Lori that I don't, because talking about how she's "manipulating" Rick or "pushing his buttons" kind of attaches that sense to it. And in that way I'd see where the Lady Macbeth comparision comes from.

But I don't think there's anything questionable behind what Lori's doing. To say she's manipulating Rick would be like saying that maybe nothing needs to be done about Shane, but Lori wants it done, so that's the direction she's pushing Rick in. But regardless of Lori's opinion, it's been clear that something will have to be done about Shane. So I see it as more a case of helping Rick realize the truth than of Lori pushing his buttons.

NewChief 02-20-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRock (Post 8386770)
I'm guessing you see a deviousness, for lack of a better word, to Lori that I don't, because talking about how she's "manipulating" Rick or "pushing his buttons" kind of attaches that sense to it. And in that way I'd see where the Lady Macbeth comparision comes from.

But I don't think there's anything questionable behind what Lori's doing. To say she's manipulating Rick would be like saying that maybe nothing needs to be done about Shane, but Lori wants it done, so that's the direction she's pushing Rick in. But regardless of Lori's opinion, it's been clear that something will have to be done about Shane. So I see it as more a case of helping Rick realize the truth than of Lori pushing his buttons.

I wouldn't say that I see Lori as devious or with any ulterior motives beyond her own family's survival and taking care of business. I agree that her intentions are good. She's still pushing his buttons, though. She's using the powers that she has to achieve the ends she seeks. Rick is also reluctant (and has always been.. he's too full of "the milk of human kindness") to step up and do the ruthless, preemptive thing. She's pushing him to do it.

I see what you're saying as far as Lori not being the "evil" or "devious" character that is usually associated with Lady Macbeth, and I agree. I do, however, think she's pushing Rick into territory in which he's not entirely comfortable. She sees things he doesn't, and she's going to push him to do what she, physically, can't.

notorious 02-20-2012 09:37 PM

I thought Rick was turning the corner into a stone cold killer, then he goes and saves a 'kid'.

I disappoint.

Deberg_1990 02-21-2012 12:09 AM

Dont really get Shanes motivation anymore. Why doesnt he just run off with super hot Andrea? She digs him, has had sex with him, probably wants more, and they are both on the same wavelength. Yet he still wants to be with Lori??

blaise 02-21-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8387018)
Dont really get Shanes motivation anymore. Why doesnt he just run off with super hot Andrea? She digs him, has had sex with him, probably wants more, and they are both on the same wavelength. Yet he still wants to be with Lori??

Yeah, I don't get why he's like, "I should have ran off with you." There's a car right there. What's changed?

kcxiv 02-21-2012 01:25 AM

Because just maybe, just maybe he's been in lust/love whatever you wanna call it with Lori for far longer then RIck just being shot. He was close to it. I dont know about you all, but i've known people who really really fall for a person and its a bitch for them to let go.

Anyways, We can all say we would do this n that, but until something like that happens, no one knows what they would really do. People who you think are badasses would completely freeze up and vice versa.

NewChief 02-21-2012 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 8387024)
Yeah, I don't get why he's like, "I should have ran off with you." There's a car right there. What's changed?

Well... Lori's pregnant, and Shane honestly thinks the baby is his. Even if he's a psycho, he does seem to be a "take care of what's mine" sort of guy.

blaise 02-21-2012 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8387145)
Well... Lori's pregnant, and Shane honestly thinks the baby is his. Even if he's a psycho, he does seem to be a "take care of what's mine" sort of guy.

I thought he had the conversation with the blond after he found out Lori was pregnant, but I probably have the timeline mixed up.

NewChief 02-21-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 8387154)
I thought he had the conversation with the blond after he found out Lori was pregnant, but I probably have the timeline mixed up.

If I remember correctly, he had the conversation about running off prior to them finding the farm. It was before Carl got shot, they explored that church in the town where they heard the bells ringing.

Lori found out about her pregnancy once they got on the farm, because she sent Glen to get the tests. Though... maybe she told Shane about it prior to getting confirmation with the tests, because she was pretty sure she was pregnant prior to actually taking the test.

Fire Me Boy! 02-21-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8387155)
If I remember correctly, he had the conversation about running off prior to them finding the farm. It was before Carl got shot, they explored that church in the town where they heard the bells ringing.

Lori found out about her pregnancy once they got on the farm, because she sent Glen to get the tests. Though... maybe she told Shane about it prior to getting confirmation with the tests, because she was pretty sure she was pregnant prior to actually taking the test.

Nope, your timeline is correct. Just finished watching the first half of the second season with the wife.

keg in kc 02-21-2012 08:16 AM

I was not as enthusiastic about this episode as the rest of you seemed to be. Something seemed off to me about the whole hour, but I'm not sure what exactly it was.

blaise 02-21-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8387242)
I was not as enthusiastic about this episode as the rest of you seemed to be. Something seemed off to me about the whole hour, but I'm not sure what exactly it was.

The little battle in the town seemed anti-climactic.