ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink The ethics of get-it-yourself refills. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=318082)

Rain Man 10-09-2018 11:52 PM

The ethics of get-it-yourself refills.

I was in a restaurant tonight, and it had a system in place that I like. They set the soda machine out in the dining room, and you can just go get your own refill. Getting my own soda refill is one of my key selection criteria for restaurants these days.

However, I have a conundrum. When I order a soda, I'm usually asked if I want a small, medium, or large.

Now, think about that for a moment. It's free refills with no shame. I don't have to ask someone for my refills, I just go get them.

So the logical approach here is to always order a small drink, right? Maybe I have to get up sooner to get my refill, but big deal. It burns calories to walk over there.

But at the same time, I feel guilty ordering a small soda if I'm already figuring that I'll get a refill. Essentially, I'm getting a large soda for the price of a small. Is this ethical? If I know that I want more than the XX ounces in a small size, should I order the size that closest approximates my need? Or should I look out for my own self-interest and always order the smallest size at the lowest cost?

Poll coming. You can get up and vote on it yourself.

kysirsoze 10-09-2018 11:56 PM

Order the damn small. The mark up on soda is criminal. If your strategy was a problem they wouldn't offer free refills. All the soda you can drink will end up costing them like 7 cents.

CoMoChief 10-09-2018 11:58 PM

Do you scowl at people at gas stations who take sips out of their fountain drinks only to top it off again right in front of you?

HEY THEY DIDNT PAY FOR THAT!

DOES THAT MAKE YOUR BLOOD BOIL LIKE IT DOES MINE!?!??!?

Simply Red 10-10-2018 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 13803979)
Do you scowl at people at gas stations who take sips out of their fountain drinks only to top it off again right in front of you?

Got dude - you're going to die of a heart attack if you let shit like that bother you.

carcosa 10-10-2018 12:04 AM

Order the small every damn time. Screw the man!!!!

Baby Lee 10-10-2018 12:18 AM

An in-store soda with free refills is not an isolated transaction.
Regardless of the size of cup and the thirst of the customer, the cup itself costs more than the soda that will be consumed.
Soda is an invitation to add revenue to your meal purchase.
Only reason to buy anything other than a small is if it's included in a value meal, or if you are carrying out.

Fat Elvis 10-10-2018 12:43 AM

A Small cup is the same as a large with just a bit more walking.....

ptlyon 10-10-2018 12:56 AM

The whole problem with this thread is that it is called pop and not soda

Gadzooks 10-10-2018 01:23 AM

Don't drink soft drinks. They're bad for you.

Nickhead 10-10-2018 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13803973)
I was in a restaurant tonight, and it had a system in place that I like. They set the soda machine out in the dining room, and you can just go get your own refill. Getting my own soda refill is one of my key selection criteria for restaurants these days.

However, I have a conundrum. When I order a soda, I'm usually asked if I want a small, medium, or large.

Now, think about that for a moment. It's free refills with no shame. I don't have to ask someone for my refills, I just go get them.

So the logical approach here is to always order a small drink, right? Maybe I have to get up sooner to get my refill, but big deal. It burns calories to walk over there.

But at the same time, I feel guilty ordering a small soda if I'm already figuring that I'll get a refill. Essentially, I'm getting a large soda for the price of a small. Is this ethical? If I know that I want more than the XX ounces in a small size, should I order the size that closest approximates my need? Or should I look out for my own self-interest and always order the smallest size at the lowest cost?

Poll coming. You can get up and vote on it yourself.

did you know, there are no 'self serve' fountain drinks in australia to my knowledge. the only thing you can serve yourself is straws, napkins, and salt :D

Nickhead 10-10-2018 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 13804003)
The whole problem with this thread is that it is called pop and not soda

i almost gave you my first neg rep ever. but i thought that would have been too harsh.

T-post Tom 10-10-2018 02:10 AM

I order a "water cup" at no charge and then get soda/pop when nobody is looking. Sprite is ideal...especially if it's a little flat. If anyone snitches, they get stitches.

TambaBerry 10-10-2018 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 13803979)

if you dont sip it, you're setting yourself up to get a bad drink and pay for it and get all the way out to your car before you realize the syrup was out or something along those lines.

InChiefsHeaven 10-10-2018 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-post Tom (Post 13804020)
I order a "water cup" at no charge and then get soda/pop when nobody is looking. Sprite is ideal...especially if it's a little flat. If anyone snitches, they get stitches.

That I would say is wrong. In RainMan's case, he's doing exactly what the restaurant allows. In your case, it's stealing.

Mile High Mania 10-10-2018 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 13804068)
if you dont sip it, you're setting yourself up to get a bad drink and pay for it and get all the way out to your car before you realize the syrup was out or something along those lines.

All this... esp if you're a Dr Pepper fan, the mix is off at least 15% of the time in my experience.