ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Gillette (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320438)

cmh6476 01-14-2019 07:08 PM

Gillette

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/koPmuEyP3a0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thought this to be timely this week :spock:

cmh6476 01-14-2019 07:09 PM

trying to figure out the right link to play straight from the thread...

Dr. Yu Weed Tard 01-14-2019 07:10 PM

I didn't watch. I saw Gilette and little boys and I left the room.

Bowser 01-14-2019 07:13 PM

9K likes, 89K dislikes. People are sick to death of not just the PC culture, but getting lectured about it. The comments are brutal, lol.

BostonCheatriots 01-14-2019 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haglund's_Spirit (Post 14039029)
I didn't watch. I saw Gilette and little boys and I left the room.

ROFLROFLROFL

Discuss Thrower 01-14-2019 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14039042)
9K likes, 89K dislikes.

Russian bots.

Bowser 01-14-2019 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 14039050)
Russian bots.

Obviously.

I'm shocked they didn't update the MTV Whiteshaming commercial from a few years ago for good measure to go along with this turd.

FringeNC 01-14-2019 07:16 PM

Always a good idea to insult your customers..

Tonka83 01-14-2019 07:17 PM

I'm not sure why companies keep doing this shit.
It's like they go out of their way to torpedo their brand.

chinaski 01-14-2019 07:18 PM

This preachy bullshit is annoying. There is a constant PC barrage coming from every direction, I don't need to hear it from an unethical razor company that sells overpriced shaving products.

Is this some kind of target marketing? Don't the youth of today sport beards?

chinaski 01-14-2019 07:23 PM

Boycott Gillette

Including Gillette Stadium

Ken Bone 01-14-2019 07:27 PM

The pussification of America continues

Munson 01-14-2019 07:49 PM

https://i.imgur.com/xseONur.png

Hammock Parties 01-14-2019 07:52 PM

only the best for brady's son

he wouldn't want to kiss peach fuzz

Why Not? 01-14-2019 08:01 PM

JFC. Really? I need life lesson lectures from a ****ing razor company?

CoMoChief 01-14-2019 08:04 PM

You just know Brady wants to french kiss the living hell out of all of those kids.

Holladay 01-14-2019 08:07 PM

Welp, I was going to shave the scraggly beard off tonight. Now I am going to Wal-Mart (only store in town) to replace my Gillette blades with Schick.

Goodness. That commercial screwed up my stomach.

Why Not? 01-14-2019 08:10 PM

On a related note, I rewatched the PC Principal episode of South Park last night. So damn funny!

TinyEvel 01-14-2019 08:13 PM

Not sure why all the hate for this. Are you saying we as a society should condone bullying or guys grabbing a woman’s ass? That it’s okay to let people keep other people down, or to not consider how, in a meeting, our own assertion to be heard, or right, is more important than letting another person speak?

Is it you disagree with the message? Or the message is valid but shouldn’t be coming from a razor company.

But if Gillette didn’t say it, who would? Sure, female politicians in California, okay. But Gillette as a brand has the right to say this, in my opinion, as a male oriented brand. No less a right than Budweiser can say be a fan of a certain team, or P&G can say that moms should support kid’s sports.

They’re leading by example, saying speak up. And the reactions are proof that it’s a relevant and necessary message. You can choose to buy or not buy their razors, they know that. This takes balls on their behalf, and in my opinion one of the greatest measures of being a man: use your strength to help others.

Holladay 01-14-2019 08:15 PM

11k vs 111k now. Foot meet mouth.

Holladay 01-14-2019 08:24 PM

Wow Tiny, I thought you would have gotten this.

Yes there is bulling, but on both sides. People in power can do this.

I pride that when my wife would like the jar of pickles opened, I can do that. I am happy to open doors and do things that guys are built for. I also cherish the abilities that women have.

Two different sexes for two different models. Women can bully just as much as men. It's just not in the media. Define "Cougar". Just as bad. All the reports of female teachers taking advantage of young innocent children.

My daughter's biggest bully was a smart ass little girl. They can be the real winches.

Don't preach to me about what being a man or father is suppose to be.

The main reason we are offended is the condescension. That is one of the most personal fouls. Apathy is the worst. That is the killer in PC culture right now. Apathy.

Why Not? 01-14-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holladay (Post 14039253)

I pride that when my wife would like the jar of pickles opened, I can do that. I am happy to open doors and do things that guys are built for. I also cherish the abilities that women have.

Two different sexes for two different models. Women can bully just as much as men. It's just not in the media. Define "Cougar". Just as bad. All the reports of female teachers taking advantage of young innocent children.

My daughter's biggest bully was a smart ass little girl. They can be the real winches.

This guy gets it.

Rain Man 01-14-2019 08:32 PM

Wow. The Patriots are terrified of being humiliated at Arrowhead, aren't they?

Indian Chief 01-14-2019 08:33 PM

Guys that are douchebags aren't going to stop being douchebags because of a P&G commercial. In addition, the average guy that uses Gillette products isn't a sexual predator and is going to wonder why they are being preached to in a razor commercial.

jjjayb 01-14-2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonka83 (Post 14039058)
I'm not sure why companies keep doing this shit.
It's like they go out of their way to torpedo their brand.

They do it because every marketing study says that millennials and younger generations are loyal to specific companies and they like companies that have a social message. They're trying to attract younger customers that will be loyal to their brand. Same reason Nike sponsored Kapernick and preach about girl power. They're just whoring themselves out for customers.

Stupid, condescending ****ing commercial though. They can eat my manly dick.

Dr. Yu Weed Tard 01-14-2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjjayb (Post 14039388)
They do it because every marketing study says that millennials and younger generations are loyal to specific companies and they like companies that have a social message. They're trying to attract younger customers that will be loyal to their brand. Same reason Nike sponsored Kapernick and preach about girl power. They're just whoring themselves out for customers.

Stupid, condescending ****ing commercial though. They can eat my manly dick.

Because young people are stupid + spend money carelessly = advertiser's wet ****ing dream

Dr. Yu Weed Tard 01-14-2019 09:34 PM

Quote:

The main reason we are offended is the condescension. That is one of the most personal fouls. Apathy is the worst. That is the killer in PC culture right now. Apathy.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/1c69...itemid=5089552

Ken Bone 01-14-2019 09:35 PM

The Gillette execs decided they weren’t getting enough tranny business. So they came up with this ad.

Bump 01-14-2019 09:59 PM

Patriots stadium is Gillette stadium, if needed use this as material if they come here to talk trash lol.

Rain Man 01-14-2019 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Bone (Post 14039442)
The Gillette execs decided they weren’t getting enough tranny business. So they came up with this ad.

That may be smart. Those guys probably use a lot of razor blades.

TinyEvel 01-14-2019 10:10 PM

Quote:

Well we both have something in common that my daughter was also bullied by another girl in school. But the amount she suffered at the hands of several boys far, far outweighed that, and was passed off by the teacher as "boys will be boys."

They were specific boys. Individuals. And still a greater number of individual boys never spoke up, to say it's not cool to giggle and smirk every time the teacher says the word come in a sentence. Or not cool to try to take an upskirt pic with your phone in class. Or other more worse things that happened.

The definition of apathy is not caring or not showing emotion. It's either not caring or not speaking if you do. It's indifference or complacency. So I'm not sure what you mean by using apathy to describe PC culture. I think that apathy is harmful is what this message is trying to convey. Trying.

I make ads, I can look at this as a craftsman in this industry and there are a lot of things I would have done differently, made the message more intelligent, more poignant and direct. But I respect the brand for taking the stance. People are talking about it and that's the goal. With that in mind, I chose to offer my opinion while the thread is here, and really I'm on this board to read and talk about the Chiefs. That's what I'd prefer to do.

And I'm not trying to preach to you about what type of man or father you should be, sorry if you took it that way. I said that, in my opinion, one of the greatest measures of a man is using your strength to help others. Be that open a jar of pickles, giving recognition to a subordinate, or stopping bully, no matter who it be.

Frazod 01-14-2019 10:15 PM

Well, if these ****s hadn't already lost my business years ago when I decided to quit paying Gillette's ridiculous prices and moved on to Dollar Shave Club, this certainly would have done it.

AssEaterChief 01-14-2019 10:17 PM

I can't believe this is a real commercial...

Frazod 01-14-2019 10:18 PM

And you know what stops bullying? When you stop being a pussy and stand up to them.

cmh6476 01-14-2019 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14039283)
Wow. The Patriots are terrified of being humiliated at Arrowhead, aren't they?

Best post through page 2 imo

bdj23 01-14-2019 11:38 PM

Stopped watching at Ana Kasparian.

Frazod 01-14-2019 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 14039713)
Stopped watching at Ana Kasparian.

Yeah, me too. LMAO

kysirsoze 01-15-2019 12:00 AM

As someone who generally agrees with the message of this spot, this is pretty overwrought and extremely preachy. I don't even mind companies taking stands on certain issues, but this is just too much. Poor acting/writing doesn't help and it reeks of patting themselves on the back.

007 01-15-2019 12:05 AM

Talk about torpedoing your brand. LMAO wow

Frazod 01-15-2019 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14039750)
Talk about torpedoing your brand. LMAO wow

I assume this was brought to us by the same morons who thought focusing on kneeling during the National Anthem would be a real boon for the NFL. It certainly will have the same effect - alienate the people who actually buy your product, while impressing the people who don't.

zigbazah 01-15-2019 01:11 AM

The issue with ads like these is they conflate bad behavior with traditional masculinity. It's possible for all types of people to be abusive. It's also possible to like stereotypically "guy" things and not be an asshole. Two boys wrestling in the yard is a teachable moment for good parents. And the thing is, Gillette is trying to point that out, but the message should be to control your emotions, not "society says you should be manly but that's actually bad. "

Bump 01-15-2019 01:22 AM

If you haven't noticed, everything hollywood, tv, movies and now video games has been overran by SJWs.

CoMoChief 01-15-2019 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14039553)
Well, if these ****s hadn't already lost my business years ago when I decided to quit paying Gillette's ridiculous prices and moved on to Dollar Shave Club, this certainly would have done it.

This.

TwistedChief 01-15-2019 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 14039746)
As someone who generally agrees with the message of this spot, this is pretty overwrought and extremely preachy. I don't even mind companies taking stands on certain issues, but this is just too much. Poor acting/writing doesn't help and it reeks of patting themselves on the back.

This is where I'm at. I respect them for trying and taking a stand, but I think the way in which the message is delivered here opened themselves up to obvious backlash. Unfortunate they didn't have the foresight to see that in advance.

Hoopsdoc 01-15-2019 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zigbazah (Post 14039792)
The issue with ads like these is they conflate bad behavior with traditional masculinity. It's possible for all types of people to be abusive. It's also possible to like stereotypically "guy" things and not be an asshole. Two boys wrestling in the yard is a teachable moment for good parents. And the thing is, Gillette is trying to point that out, but the message should be to control your emotions, not "society says you should be manly but that's actually bad. "

There’s no conflating. To a growing number of people, traditional masculinity IS bad behavior.

KCUnited 01-15-2019 07:41 AM

These damsels in distress need a Gillette man to save them from the bullies!

Same hero message as always, just tweaked for a younger generation.

ChiefsLV 01-15-2019 07:52 AM

I'm so tired of this political correctness wave that's right up in our faces day in, day out. If these guys want to protest during the national anthem, that's up to them. Just tired of all the whining and butthurt about it.

Holladay 01-15-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

And I'm not trying to preach to you about what type of man or father you should be, sorry if you took it that way.
Not you, the ad.

Agreed, I too come here to talk Chiefs. I've been in DC 2 times. Not for me.

The ad just got my manly hackles up.

Baby Lee 01-15-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 14039214)
Not sure why all the hate for this. Are you saying we as a society should condone bullying or guys grabbing a woman’s ass? That it’s okay to let people keep other people down, or to not consider how, in a meeting, our own assertion to be heard, or right, is more important than letting another person speak?

Is it you disagree with the message? Or the message is valid but shouldn’t be coming from a razor company.

But if Gillette didn’t say it, who would? Sure, female politicians in California, okay. But Gillette as a brand has the right to say this, in my opinion, as a male oriented brand. No less a right than Budweiser can say be a fan of a certain team, or P&G can say that moms should support kid’s sports.

They’re leading by example, saying speak up. And the reactions are proof that it’s a relevant and necessary message. You can choose to buy or not buy their razors, they know that. This takes balls on their behalf, and in my opinion one of the greatest measures of being a man: use your strength to help others.

Allow me to propose a criticism that is about something other than 'too PC.'

While you might applaud the particular aims of these suggested responses [stopping kids from roughhousing, restraining an ogler or a groper] they are STILL patriarchal.

It's not progress to simply replace one set of stereotypes with another.
The 'old' mindset is supposedly that the only people who are harmed by horseplay or ogling are wimps or bitches who don't matter anyway. But this 'new' mindset assumes that people can never derive enjoyment or growth through any of this 'unwelcomed' activity.

But the horseplay and bullying and the ogling and the groping and the remarks, and all that, . . . are still between two individuals who ARE NOT YOU. You are by definition stereotyping and exercising privilege when you step into a situation between two individuals and state 'hey, I'm bigger and stronger than all of you, and I think that your interpersonal reactions should be like xxx'

You have no way of knowing what the inner monologues of the actual participants in the event are, but Gillette call upon you to be a referee anyway. Those who propose this cannot envision anyone in a physical scrap as anything but an aggressor and a terrified recipient, and cannot envision anyone involved in flirting as anything other than a predator and a terrified prey.

Clearly there comes a point where additional evidence accumulates, where a kid is clearly being bested and hurt, or where a woman is clearly receiving emotional damage without the interpersonal skills to handle the moment on her own. And at that point, your tactful intervention might be called for.

But this campaign isn't about being tactful and situationally aware, it's a backlash to underutilized patriarchy demanding that instead that same patriarchy be abused in 'good ways,' in ways that make the critics more comfortable.

carcosa 01-15-2019 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 14039214)

This is the good take

People who cry about PC culture are boring and way more annoying than the people they complain about ever were

Personally I think woke brands are usually pretty cynical (they're still just trying to turn a profit after all) but there's nothing wrong with the message itself, which is: don't be an asshole to women or anyone more vulnerable than yourself, because it's shitty and what do you even gain from it? I get not wanting to be preached at by razors but the sermon itself is fine

Like, if you want to be a racist sexist bully, go for it, nobody's really stopping you, but don't expect to get any praise or avoid any criticism here in 2019. Sorry snowflakes

InChiefsHeaven 01-15-2019 09:21 AM

Dollar Shave Club. Screw Gillette...

htismaqe 01-15-2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14040184)

While you might applaud the particular aims of these suggested responses [stopping kids from roughhousing, restraining an ogler or a groper] they are STILL patriarchal.

The 'old' mindset is supposedly that the only people who are harmed by horseplay or ogling are wimps or bitches who don't matter anyway. But this 'new' mindset assumes that people can never derive enjoyment or growth through any of this 'unwelcomed' activity.

But the horseplay and bullying and the ogling and the groping and the remarks, and all that, . . . are still between two individuals who ARE NOT YOU. You are by definition stereotyping and exercising privilege when you step into a situation between two individuals and state 'hey, I'm bigger and stronger than all of you, and I think that your interpersonal reactions should be like xxx'

You have no way of knowing what the inner monologues of the actual participants in the event are, but Gillette call upon you to be a referee anyway. Those who propose this cannot envision anyone in a physical scrap as anything but an aggressor and a terrified recipient, and cannot envision anyone involved in flirting as anything other than a predator and a terrified prey.

Clearly there comes a point where additional evidence accumulates, where a kid is clearly being bested and hurt, or where a woman is clearly receiving emotional damage without the interpersonal skills to handle the moment on her own. And at that point, your tactful intervention might be called for.

But this campaign isn't about being tactful and situationally aware, it's a backlash to underutilized patriarchy demanding that instead that same patriarchy be abused in 'good ways,' in ways that make the critics more comfortable.

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=h...mation.gif&f=1

THANK YOU.

htismaqe 01-15-2019 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 14039921)
There’s no conflating. To a growing number of people, traditional masculinity IS bad behavior.

"Traditional masculinity"? "People"?

Completely insensitive. How dare you.

DJ's left nut 01-15-2019 09:47 AM

I'm not sure if they still do, but Dollar Shave Club used to get their blades from Dorco. You can buy directly from them for about 1/2 what even DSC costs if you buy them in bulk. You can do it for less if you find a coupon or ad special.

I use a Pace 6 from them and it's a great blade; easily as good as my Schick's used to be and the back of the blades are open for easier cleaning and reduced corrosion.

As for this ad - I'm just so tired of the projecting. Jesus Christ, who actually sits there and watches kids beat the shit out of each other? Or ignores bullies? Men take an absurd amount of pride in being fathers, though you'd never know it from television. I tend to treat raising the boy as an immense responsibility and the girls as something of a sacred trust. And I'm hardly special in this regard - this is common; it's decidedly average. For Gillette to throw this ad out there and not expect a resounding "**** you!" from the masses tells me a lot about who comprised that ad-team. I'm betting there wasn't a significant number of fathers putting that one together. If there were, someone would've sat back and said "hey now, maybe we shouldn't be hand-waiving the millions of responsible fathers in this country that are gonna see this and tell us to fist ourselves..."

So this ad is one of 2 things - 1) just a bunch of out of touch coastal ad men who think the world is full of guys who will sit there letting the burgers burn while kids beat the piss out of each other (pft - like any of us would let the burgers burn...) and see daughters as needless appendages or 2) a pack of cynical asswipes who know better but have found there is profit to be made in appealing to the mass media markets (NY, LA and Chicago) that lap this shit up.

Both possibilities deserve plenty of scorn. I also find more and more that the people who look down on flyover country as being full of backwards rubes sure seem to have a lot more stories of men being mouth-breathing shitheels than us midwesterners do.

Yeah, Gillette is welcomed to get bent with this one. Try taking the worst stereotypes of women, flipping them and then making a tampon commercial or something. Some ad with women either as hormonal temptresses constantly in fear of their biological clock poking holes in condoms or lying about their birth control. Or just straight up savage misandry blamed on having their periods. Hey, how 'bout we focus on those women that lean on their husbands as simple sources of finances and leave them, take their children and route them out of their lives - we can sell shampoo.

Seriously - flip this commercial on its head and tell me that "well hey, maybe the message was a little too on the nose, but the sentiment is sound..." would be a viable takeaway from using a gender's worst examples as representative of the whole. Tell me could ever make a commercial as self-serious as that piece of shit that frames the female sex as little more than the embodiment of their worst representatives and moments and that it would be defended.

It's just a ridiculous commercial as is Tiny Evil's defense of it. You wanna know why this commercial got made? Because the west coast advertising guy on this very board showed up and said "hey, I don't know what the big deal is...."

You have it straight from the source and yes, it's exactly that asinine.

FringeNC 01-15-2019 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14040312)
I'm not sure if they still do, but Dollar Shave Club used to get their blades from Dorco. You can buy directly from them for about 1/2 what even DSC costs if you buy them in bulk. You can do it for less if you find a coupon or ad special.

I use a Pace 6 from them and it's a great blade; easily as good as my Schick's used to be and the back of the blades are open for easier cleaning and reduced corrosion.

As for this ad - I'm just so tired of the projecting. Jesus Christ, who actually sits there and watches kids beat the shit out of each other? Or ignores bullies? Men take an absurd amount of pride in being fathers, though you'd never know it from television. I tend to treat raising the boy as an immense responsibility and the girls as something of a sacred trust. And I'm hardly special in this regard - this is common; it's decidedly average. For Gillette to throw this ad out there and not expect a resounding "**** you!" from the masses tells me a lot about who comprised that ad-team. I'm betting there wasn't a significant number of fathers putting that one together. If there were, someone would've sat back and said "hey now, maybe we shouldn't be hand-waiving the millions of responsible fathers in this country that are gonna see this and tell us to fist ourselves..."

So this ad is one of 2 things - 1) just a bunch of out of touch coastal ad men who think the world is full of guys who will sit there letting the burgers burn while kids beat the piss out of each other (pft - like any of us would let the burgers burn...) and see daughters as needless appendages or 2) a pack of cynical asswipes who know better but have found there is profit to be made in appealing to the mass media markets (NY, LA and Chicago) that lap this shit up.

Both possibilities deserve plenty of scorn. I also find more and more that the people who look down on flyover country as being full of backwards rubes sure seem to have a lot more stories of men being mouth-breathing shitheels than us midwesterners do.

Yeah, Gillette is welcomed to get bent with this one. Try taking the worst stereotypes of women, flipping them and then making a tampon commercial or something. Some ad with women either as hormonal temptresses constantly in fear of their biological clock poking holes in condoms or lying about their birth control. Or just straight up savage misandry blamed on having their periods. Hey, how 'bout we focus on those women that lean on their husbands as simple sources of finances and leave them, take their children and route them out of their lives - we can sell shampoo.

Seriously - flip this commercial on its head and tell me that "well hey, maybe the message was a little too on the nose, but the sentiment is sound..." would be a viable takeaway from using a gender's worst examples as representative of the whole. Tell me could ever make a commercial as self-serious as that piece of shit that frames the female sex as little more than the embodiment of their worst representatives and moments and that it would be defended.

It's just a ridiculous commercial as is Tiny Evil's defense of it. You wanna know why this commercial got made? Because the west coast advertising guy on this very board showed up and said "hey, I don't know what the big deal is...."

Well said. Couple random things on my mind: It's interesting how that side's view of collective guilt has changed now that they control all of our institutions. Same people who have lectured us for ages on collective guilt...

Sometimes I think I live in a theocracy. It's especially scary now that corporate America has become a propaganda arm.

Beef Supreme 01-15-2019 10:07 AM

The message in this commercial doesn't come across as "don't be a bad man." It comes across as "being a man is bad." Or more "all men are bad, all you ****ers need to change."

DJ's Left Nut, as usual, sums it up pretty eloquently.

JoeyChuckles 01-15-2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 14039076)
Boycott Gillette

Including Gillette Stadium

I stopped shaving on Sunday, since I only have Gillette razors.

Baby Lee 01-15-2019 10:16 AM

It seems like as entertainment runs out of novel ideas, they are also running into how their ideas of entertainment generated, or at least gave the impression of generating, the things they now bemoan.

A couple of instances that shed light.

First off, when they happened at the time I celebrated it, and then it was forgotten, and now people are revisiting it like they are discovering it for the first time.

And the 'it' I'm talking about is putting the tradtitional stories in more diverse hands.

The first was Eddie Murphy making movies about successful, often hyper-successful black people without self-congratulation or shining a light. Coming to America, Boomerang, Distinguished Gentleman, and even later family friendly fare like Nutty Professor and Doctor Doolittle, he presented black thriving as the default, black normalcy even nerdiness as normal.

Then Blade with Wesley Snipes as a superhero.

Then Kill Bill with a female as a lone avenging badass.

Now Hollywood 'repurposes' scripts with diversity as the prominent express and blatant intent, and look to celebrate how much progress they've made.

They think that unless they do it purposefully and loudly, the rubes won't get it.

Then second, the thing with misogyny and bigotry and curmudgeonliness being the center of sitcom fare. They like to think that they write these things because that's what the appetite is in the society. But it seems more to me that these traits are simply easier to write in their heuristic of conflict and resolution and story arcs. They never figured out how to generate entertaining fare from people being decent, and they blame the audience for not being receptive to their nonexistent effort to do so.

T-post Tom 01-15-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14040438)
But it seems more to me that these traits are simply easier to write in their heuristic of conflict and resolution and story arcs.

12,288,002 CP posts and counting...yet we seldom get to see the word "heuristic". Well done sir.

gblowfish 01-15-2019 10:32 AM

I didn't watch this because I don't care. And I shave with the cheapest generic blades I can find at CVS.

SuperChief 01-15-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14040184)

You're turning obvious cultural black and whites into grey areas - for what purpose? Why conflate the issue at hand - reinforcing positive cultural norms? Why play devil's advocate on THAT? smh

Tonka83 01-15-2019 10:38 AM

I use Defender Razor. It's one of those reoccurring delivery programs but it's cheap and it's the only disposable blade that I have ever used that stays sharp for a week and the blades don't clog up. The blades are actually spaced far enough apart to let my thick ass stubble pass through.

SuperChief 01-15-2019 10:38 AM

I don't know what's "PC" about the message, "Hey, don't be a dick. Be better than that." I know, I know - back in my day, we used to pound those nerds into oblivion and now they're CEOs, so it must have worked right?

Literally NO ONE is saying masculinity is bad; the reference is toward toxic masculinity, and I'm sure it's something we've all taken apart of at some point in our lives here. Bullying, demeaning, undermining, mansplaining, etc.

Why wouldn't you want to grow and be the best version of you you can be? That's the message here. Christ.

T-post Tom 01-15-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 14040531)
I don't know what's "PC" about the message, "Hey, don't be a dick. Be better than that." I know, I know - back in my day, we used to pound those nerds into oblivion and now they're CEOs, so it must have worked right?

Literally NO ONE is saying masculinity is bad; the reference is toward toxic masculinity, and I'm sure it's something we've all taken apart of at some point in our lives here. Bullying, demeaning, undermining, mansplaining, etc.

Why wouldn't you want to grow and be the best version of you you can be? That's the message here. Christ.

Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta...

Tonka83 01-15-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Because "Toxic Masculinity" has become a code word for 'anything that is not feminine is bad and should be destroyed'.

Baby Lee 01-15-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 14040517)
You're turning obvious cultural black and whites into grey areas - for what purpose? Why conflate the issue at hand - reinforcing positive cultural norms? Why play devil's advocate on THAT? smh

Because the 'grey areas' exist regardless of whether they are beneficial to your black and white solution or not.

htismaqe 01-15-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14040606)
Because the 'grey areas' exist regardless of whether they are beneficial to your black and white solution or not.

I like your use of the word "solution", FWIW.

Easy 6 01-15-2019 11:20 AM

PC garbage, DJLN nails it again

Won't be buying refill cartridges for my Mach 5

DJ's left nut 01-15-2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Because companies have been using that message to great effect for years and it doesn't come across as preachy bullshit.

Seriously - how often does "Hey, it's okay to be an asshole" sell a power drill? Of course it doesn't, but those ads can be made focusing on the pride of being a good person rather than that kind of virtue signaling horseshit.

Does the fact that this particular ad has inspired such a visceral reaction not speak directly to its problem? I mean contrast that with something as simple as those hokey "close shave America, close shave Barbesol" ads that demonstrate men working hard and then going home and being caring husbands and fathers - it's the same friggen message just not delivered in a bullshit condescending fashion.

Men don't need to be preached at not to be mouth-breathing neanderthals any more than women need to be scolded not to be judgmental screeching harpies. Again, if you flip this ad the other way, the vitriolic backlash would be deafening.

Then again, you used 'mansplaining' in a non-ironic manner so I'm guessing your definition of "the best version of you that you can be" is not going to align with anyone who didn't watch this ad and immediately damn their genitalia. I'll decide what the best version of me is, thank you.

Beef Supreme 01-15-2019 11:35 AM

I haven't raped or bullied anyone since watching this ad. It must be working!!

CoMoChief 01-15-2019 11:40 AM

Obama's Amerika

Beef Supreme 01-15-2019 12:06 PM

https://i.redd.it/s2q7j0or8ha21.jpg

Mosbonian 01-15-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14040312)

Thank you for stating the obvious....saved me having to type my long rant.

We sometimes don't agree on things....but on this one you are dead on.

I don't need to be preached at to behave normally...and there is nothing toxic about masculinity in it's pure form.

chiefzilla1501 01-15-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

The idea that men can do better given their tag line is a clever idea. Yeah, I agree we can challenge male behavior without threatening our masculinity. But the execution made me cringe. I support anti bullying and that there are way too many women with legitimate gripes. But the MeToo movement has actually made the problem worse by sensationalizing every small gripe with an over the top reaction while diluting legit gripes from the many women legitimately wronged. I also noticed how the as not so subtly tried to make sure the ad didn't send the wrong diversity message. You could practically play a drinking game and drink to all the ways they forced some kind of pc message in there.

I hope Gillette can course correct and do this the common sense way that would be great. I support the idea but this was a total swing and a miss.

SuperChief 01-15-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14040794)
Because companies have been using that message to great effect for years and it doesn't come across as preachy bullshit.

Seriously - how often does "Hey, it's okay to be an asshole" sell a power drill? Of course it doesn't, but those ads can be made focusing on the pride of being a good person rather than that kind of virtue signaling horseshit.

Does the fact that this particular ad has inspired such a visceral reaction not speak directly to its problem? I mean contrast that with something as simple as those hokey "close shave America, close shave Barbesol" ads that demonstrate men working hard and then going home and being caring husbands and fathers - it's the same friggen message just not delivered in a bullshit condescending fashion.

Men don't need to be preached at not to be mouth-breathing neanderthals any more than women need to be scolded not to be judgmental screeching harpies. Again, if you flip this ad the other way, the vitriolic backlash would be deafening.

Then again, you used 'mansplaining' in a non-ironic manner so I'm guessing your definition of "the best version of you that you can be" is not going to align with anyone who didn't watch this ad and immediately damn their genitalia. I'll decide what the best version of me is, thank you.

What's preachy about it? If you aren't taking part in any of that conduct - why the hate? Are you part of the problem they're highlighting? If not - carry on. Be the best you, man.

ClevelandBronco 01-15-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 14040957)
...there is nothing toxic about masculinity in it's pure form.

This cannot be stated emphatically enough.

SuperChief 01-15-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14040979)
The idea that men can do better given their tag line is a clever idea. Yeah, I agree we can challenge male behavior without threatening our masculinity. But the execution made me cringe. I support anti bullying and that there are way too many women with legitimate gripes. But the MeToo movement has actually made the problem worse by sensationalizing every small gripe with an over the top reaction while diluting legit gripes from the many women legitimately wronged. I also noticed how the as not so subtly tried to make sure the ad didn't send the wrong diversity message. You could practically play a drinking game and drink to all the ways they forced some kind of pc message in there.

I hope Gillette can course correct and do this the common sense way that would be great. I support the idea but this was a total swing and a miss.

This is the problem. This right here. That's such a patently false narrative that's not based in reality - whatsoever.

Now why would you reinforce this obviously wrong notion? Because it fits your narrative and the narrative that you've been told by your silo. Stop that.

Discuss Thrower 01-15-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 14040986)
What's preachy about it? If you aren't taking part in any of that conduct - why the hate? Are you part of the problem they're highlighting? If not - carry on. Be the best you, man.

Is DJLN a man?

If yes, he's part of the problem according to the narrative this ad is promoting.

SuperChief 01-15-2019 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 14040989)
This cannot be stated emphatically enough.

Agree 100%. Just like there's nothing inherently wrong with femininity. It's all natural.

SuperChief 01-15-2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 14040996)
Is DJLN a man?

If yes, he's part of the problem according to the narrative this ad is promoting.

You're so far off base, dude. It clearly pointed to issues that people are facing and said, "Hey, don't do that stuff. Step up and help people be better. You can be better."

What part of that says he's bad because he's a dude? Because it was about men-related issues?