ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV HBO: True Detective (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276034)

keg in kc 09-09-2013 10:17 AM

HBO: True Detective

Hits in January.

Starring Matthew McConaughey & Woody Harrelson. :eek:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i8i5CR4kDjM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Brock 09-09-2013 10:22 AM

Damn I missed that AND breaking bad. ****ing football season.

Brock 09-09-2013 10:23 AM

As an Ellroy fan this should be right in my wheelhouse.

L.A. Chieffan 09-09-2013 10:58 AM

TV is surpassing cinema in quality

Buehler445 09-09-2013 12:45 PM

That looks ****ing amazing.

Pitt Gorilla 09-09-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 9956123)
TV is surpassing cinema in quality

It did that several years ago.

Pitt Gorilla 09-09-2013 01:03 PM

It looks like a better version of The Killing.

ChiefsFanatic 09-10-2013 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9956054)
As an Ellroy fan this should be right in my wheelhouse.

I am a huge Ellroy fan. I would love to see a show based on A Cold Six Thousand.

Deberg_1990 09-10-2013 06:31 AM

Looks solid. McConaughey is doing some really great work the past few years. Glad he broke out of the romantic comedy glut.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-06-2014 04:54 PM

Cant wait

Anyong Bluth 01-07-2014 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9959528)
Looks solid. McConaughey is doing some really great work the past few years. Glad he broke out of the romantic comedy glut.
Posted via Mobile Device

He's on an absolute tear of critically acclaimed projects, and giving top notch performance after performance. Oscar for him is coming sooner rather than later.

Swanman 01-07-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10352631)
He's on an absolute tear of critically acclaimed projects, and giving top notch performance after performance. Oscar for him is coming sooner rather than later.

He took a bunch of rom-com payday projects for a while but is doing nothing but good stuff now. Mud was pretty slow but his acting was tremendous in it. Dallas Buyers Club is getting him a lot of good attention. Back before he made all the shit movies, he was great in A Time to Kill and Frailty.

Great Expectations 01-07-2014 03:09 PM

Maybe he'll be better on TV. His range in movies blows. Two for the Money might be the worst acting performance of all time.

Bowser 01-07-2014 03:19 PM

Thanks for the thread bump. Setting the DVR now....

keg in kc 01-12-2014 12:47 AM

Just a reminder, starts tonight.

Early reviews seem positive. I've even seen references to The Wire, in terms of quality.

Anyong Bluth 01-12-2014 09:14 AM

Interesting concept- each season is a new case with a whole new principal cast- the main roles to be filled with top notch A list actors for each season.

Anyong Bluth 01-12-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9959528)
Posted via Mobile Device

C'mon, you know you loved Ed Tv!

GloucesterChief 01-12-2014 09:14 PM

McConaughey was really good. The first episode was great. Can't wait to see more.

He also most be using his regular Texas accent.

Brock 01-12-2014 11:00 PM

Shit is off the hook

Tribal Warfare 01-12-2014 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 10366225)
McConaughey was really good. The first episode was great. Can't wait to see more.

He also most be using his regular Texas accent.

Yep, it has a Silence of the Lambs/Manhunter feel to it too.

bowener 01-13-2014 03:38 PM

This is going to be an excellent show.

SAUTO 01-13-2014 03:39 PM

really liked it.

Sully 01-13-2014 05:23 PM

Wow
Very cool first episode.
And I agree, McConaughey was great.

GloucesterChief 01-13-2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 10366494)
Yep, it has a Silence of the Lambs/Manhunter feel to it too.

I wonder if they were going for a fake out. It seemed the two black detectives think that McConaughey's character had something to do with the murder they were investigating.

I think it is why they kept asking Harrelson's character about his relationship with McConaughey's.

Sure-Oz 01-13-2014 05:32 PM

DVR'ed this show last night, too bad i won't have HBO tomorrow w/ the preview weekend over

I need to consider getting it back for good shows

Tribal Warfare 01-13-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 10367678)
I wonder if they were going for a fake out. It seemed the two black detectives think that McConaughey's character had something to do with the murder they were investigating.

I think it is why they kept asking Harrelson's character about his relationship with McConaughey's.

Or it could be that it's as simple as Mcconaughey was involved with something so awful ( goes into a blind rage because it'll involve the missing child) he became the burnout that he's being presented as.

My guess is that the "copycat" is a relative who's following the same ritual or is the same person who pushed this morbid acts as the norm to the caught murderer.

Sure-Oz 01-13-2014 06:47 PM

Isn't this just a mini series

Tribal Warfare 01-13-2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 10367687)
DVR'ed this show last night, too bad i won't have HBO tomorrow w/ the preview weekend over

I need to consider getting it back for good shows

http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/

GloucesterChief 01-13-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 10367707)
Or it could be that it's as simple as Mcconaughey was involved with something so awful ( goes into a blind rage because it'll involve the missing child) he became the burnout that he's being presented as.

My guess is that the "copycat" is a relative who's following the same ritual or is the same person who pushed this morbid acts as the norm to the caught murderer.

The timeline doesn't add up. Harrelson said that McConaughey was his partner for seven years yet the case the two black detectives are asking about happened 3 months into their partnership.

They also said that McConaughey couldn't be found for 8 years then just showed up again.

Anyong Bluth 01-13-2014 07:08 PM

****in' awesome- now I just wish all this season's episodes were available do I could binge watch a bunch of them. It was this exact reason I was debating holding off watching for at least 3-4 weeks, but that wouldn't have been much consolation ending up waiting anyway midseason.

Tribal Warfare 01-13-2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 10367824)
The timeline doesn't add up. Harrelson said that McConaughey was his partner for seven years yet the case the two black detectives are asking about happened 3 months into their partnership.

They also said that McConaughey couldn't be found for 8 years then just showed up again.

They'll fill in the holes with each upcoming episode so questions like this are answered.

Skyy God 01-14-2014 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 10367795)

8 episodes.

Top of the Lake, another great show in the same vein, only had 6.

Anyong Bluth 01-14-2014 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 10367795)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 10369196)
8 episodes.

Top of the Lake, another great show in the same vein, only had 6.

Yes and no- I mentioned it before. They have fully planned on a number of additional seasons. The difference being that the new season will be a new case and different cast. The idea is to attract A list (movie) talent that would otherwise never be available to do a seasonal project year in and year out.

The attraction stems from having the script for the entire season speak for itself as a draw to the project.

Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson said they just looked at it like a 450 page movie script. The quality of the work was why they wanted to do it.

The head writer was adamant about the anthology format of the show, and would have refused HBO if they weren't on board, because he believes any great story requires a strong third act. It's where, "all that investment, should naturally find a satisfying payoff."

Clearly something that wouldn't work if the show was serialized and had to bend to any continuation of another upcoming season.

While clearly not on the same level, think back to the old Tales from the Crypt series on HBO. As the show gained in popularity, they often featured well known actors for the individual episodes.

Saw some whispers of Season 2 speculation that some of the names that may star Daniel Craig, Michael Fassbender, Carey Mulligan, Vanessa Redgrave, Alan Rickman, James Nesbitt, Jamie Bell, Emily Blount, & Ian McKellen.

I wonder if that would mean a duel storyline with a contemporaneous and flashback story arc?

BigRock 01-14-2014 11:46 PM

Quote:

I would think that if there's a fake out, it's actually Harrelson they suspect. That the weird hobo-looking alcoholic with no furniture who disappeared for years might be a killer would be a pretty obvious path to take.

But right from the first episode they're showing that Harrelson's character isn't the person he seems to be. And McConaughey couldn't have anything to do with the missing girl from years earlier.

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-15-2014 09:53 PM

This is good.

Deberg_1990 01-15-2014 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10370683)
Yes and no- I mentioned it before. They have fully planned on a number of additional seasons. The difference being that the new season will be a new case and different cast. The idea is to attract A list (movie) talent that would otherwise never be available to do a seasonal project year in and year out.

The attraction stems from having the script for the entire season speak for itself as a draw to the project.

Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson said they just looked at it like a 450 page movie script. The quality of the work was why they wanted to do it.

The head writer was adamant about the anthology format of the show, and would have refused HBO if they weren't on board, because he believes any great story requires a strong third act. It's where, "all that investment, should naturally find a satisfying payoff."

Clearly something that wouldn't work if the show was serialized and had to bend to any continuation of another upcoming season.

While clearly not on the same level, think back to the old Tales from the Crypt series on HBO. As the show gained in popularity, they often featured well known actors for the individual episodes.

Saw some whispers of Season 2 speculation that some of the names that may star Daniel Craig, Michael Fassbender, Carey Mulligan, Vanessa Redgrave, Alan Rickman, James Nesbitt, Jamie Bell, Emily Blount, & Ian McKellen.

I wonder if that would mean a duel storyline with a contemporaneous and flashback story arc?

This is kinda what American Horror Story has done. Just not as big name of stars.

kcxiv 01-16-2014 04:50 AM

lol, i love the car conversation with Woody and Matthew about religion. Then then, the im asking you to please shut the **** up now. lol

jiveturkey 01-16-2014 08:06 AM

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it.

As others have said McConaughey is knocking it out of the park.

Anyong Bluth 01-16-2014 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10372382)
This is kinda what American Horror Story has done. Just not as big name of stars.

Yep, though I've never watched AHS, I've heard it's a pretty good series. Maybe next October I'll give it a go for a good scary movie, supernatural genre show for the Halloween season.

ChiliConCarnage 01-16-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Interesting. I thought the way they were interviewing them was because Rust never thought they got the right guy. Hart and everyone else just assumed Rust was crazy and/or overly obsessed and couldn't let it go until this new case popped up. I assumed thats why they eventually had a blowup and weren't speaking anymore.

kcxiv 01-16-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage (Post 10372915)
Interesting. I thought the way they were interviewing them was because Rust never thought they got the right guy. Hart and everyone else just assumed Rust was crazy and/or overly obsessed and couldn't let it go until this new case popped up. I assumed thats why they eventually had a blowup and weren't speaking anymore.

Some folks i seen at other forums are talking about how they think Rust banged Woodies old lady. This would cause them to break apart when he found out years later. Cant wait to see where it goes.

keg in kc 01-16-2014 02:21 PM

They definitely set up Rust and the wife hooking up. Question is whether that was a red herring or not.

Sure-Oz 01-19-2014 09:17 AM

Watched this last night....really good and has me interested. Good to see mm doing serious stuff

Skyy God 01-19-2014 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 10378019)
Watched this last night....really good and has me interested. Good to see mm doing serious stuff

He's been doing great work for a while now. Bernie, Killer Joe, Magic Mike, Mud, etc.

Demonpenz 01-19-2014 10:22 PM

what was that horror movie with MM and Bill Paxton?

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-19-2014 10:22 PM

Those boobs wow.

Sfeihc 01-19-2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 10381466)
Those boobs wow.

Perfection.:thumb:

Tribal Warfare 01-19-2014 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 10381466)
Those boobs wow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sfeihc (Post 10381511)
Perfection.:thumb:

dem titties

GloucesterChief 01-19-2014 11:35 PM

They were quite spectacular.

Anybody get the feeling that Rust ran over his daughter by accident? Just seems like they were hinting at it.

beer bacon 01-20-2014 02:44 AM

Anyone else see that big ol' hooter at the end?

kcxiv 01-20-2014 05:15 AM

read an article that she's in alot of the episodes going forward. So this could be awesome! lol

raybec 4 01-20-2014 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 10381721)
They were quite spectacular.

Anybody get the feeling that Rust ran over his daughter by accident? Just seems like they were hinting at it.

They seemed to start that way but kind of backed off of it. I'm sure it will come out that he did it in the end

Anyong Bluth 01-20-2014 08:35 AM

I've started to notice that Woody's character never seems to be able to answer a question straightly. He may get to it in a round about way, but it strikes me as a bit evasive in how he frames his response with extraneous information. Possibly to paint a picture of what he wants to be other's perception of himself?
In the 1st episode, he went on about the various personality types you find that are detectives. Keenly aware of putting up appearances.

I just get the feeling he is very self aware of one's personality as perceived and he's hiding darker parts of his true nature?

I could be totally off base on this, but in this last episode I just got the feeling that he was "handling" the interrogation by the 2 black detectives.

bgguitarman 01-20-2014 08:39 AM

Frailty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 10381459)
what was that horror movie with MM and Bill Paxton?

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-20-2014 01:27 PM

Spoiler!

kcxiv 01-20-2014 02:19 PM

http://imgur.com/a/EVlZM

is not safe for work! Totally worth the click though

Tribal Warfare 01-20-2014 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 10382766)
Spoiler!

Nope

Spoiler!

Bowser 01-20-2014 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 10382902)
http://imgur.com/a/EVlZM

is not safe for work! Totally worth the click though

Well, I guess this means Jennifer Lawrence is going to have to get nekkid to see which one of these girls is hotter.

What?

Anyong Bluth 01-20-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 10382907)
Nope

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

lcarus 01-20-2014 03:03 PM

I've watched the first 2 episodes. Pretty decent show so far. I haven't found it to be great yet. Seems kind of pretentious. I like Woody Harrelson, but I don't think he's that strong of an actor. He isn't bad. I've probably just seen him in so many comedies that it's harder for me to watch him in a role like this. I'll keep watching though, because I think it will get better. I also like the idea of a new story and cast every season.

Sure-Oz 01-21-2014 01:42 PM

I've like the firs two episodes so far...i think MM and WH make a solid duo.

Them boobs, wow.

Can't wait to see what happens next. Also...

Spoiler!

allen_kcCard 01-21-2014 05:09 PM

I thought the dolls were a mock crime scene. Naked victim in the middle, detectives and other law type around her.

ChiliConCarnage 01-21-2014 05:39 PM

Someone mentioned last week the detectives thinking Rust was a suspect. There was more evidence in this episode such as asking Marty if he really wanted to keep the case or whether it was just Rust but I think there was even more that backed up my first thought.

The political pressure is going to cause the police Captain(?) and Marty, as lead detective, to pin this on someone Rust doesn't believe is the guy. That's why the 2012 detectives are interviewing Rust. They're interviewing Marty to corroborate parts of Rusts story and get info about Rust because 2012 Rust looks like a homeless guy who won't do the interview without beer and swigging out of a flask and he's already admitted he was hallucinating at the time of the investigation.

Hopefully, there is more to it cause that road feels like it leads to cliche-ville. Rust's suspect being high in the church or close to the governor, etc and they won't let him investigate the person. He drops from the force and years later finds some evidence that either ties to his suspect or proves the person convicted is innocent. When he takes it to Marty who is still in the force, he realizes Marty already knew. blah blah

The dialogue in this show is great. I loved when Rust drifted off early and then apologized. That's why I tend to drink alone. or at least one of the reasons.

Brock 01-21-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 10385874)
I thought the dolls were a mock crime scene. Naked victim in the middle, detectives and other law type around her.

That's pretty much best case scenario.

Sure-Oz 01-21-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Yep, i was watching on my phone and the quality was crap so i couldnt tell. Rewatched, i guess the news gets around in that house

Simply Red 01-21-2014 07:58 PM

Really loving this - Like a shit ton. These two are superior actors.

KcMizzou 01-21-2014 10:35 PM

I love it too. One minor complaint though...

Is it just me, or does Woody's character usually sound like he has a mouth full of peanut butter?

Simply Red 01-21-2014 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 10386515)

Is it just me, or does Woody's character usually sound like he has a mouth full of peanut butter?

I'm not positive, but I'm thinking they're having him dip Hawken or Kodiac or something.

Buck 01-25-2014 01:10 PM

This show is really good. Stayed up til 1:30 am hooked on the first two eps last night.

Buck 01-25-2014 01:16 PM

Also does anyone think McConaghey's character is gonna sleep with Harrelson's character's mistress rather than his wife?

In the last episode he stated that Maggie set him up with her friend. I don't think she would have done that if they were banging.

Baby Lee 01-25-2014 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 10383011)
I've watched the first 2 episodes. Pretty decent show so far. I haven't found it to be great yet. Seems kind of pretentious. I like Woody Harrelson, but I don't think he's that strong of an actor. He isn't bad. I've probably just seen him in so many comedies that it's harder for me to watch him in a role like this. I'll keep watching though, because I think it will get better. I also like the idea of a new story and cast every season.

Is it just me?

Baby Lee 01-25-2014 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 10386515)

It is definitely affected, but not irritatingly so.

Kind of like Nick Cage in Raising Arizona, I had no idea Arizona had a dialect, but it fun to listen to the Coen's dialog

The antlers won't let me stop thinking about Hannibal, though

KcMizzou 01-25-2014 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10393364)
The antlers won't let me stop thinking about Hannibal, though

Same.

Anyong Bluth 01-25-2014 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 10393485)
Same.

1st thought that came to my mind as well.

aturnis 01-25-2014 10:15 PM

Quote:

I don't think so. The only female doll was naked and there was a male doll on his knees between her legs.

aturnis 01-25-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10393537)
1st thought that came to my mind as well.

Me too. That's the only episode of Hannibal I've seen actually.

Baby Lee 01-25-2014 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10393546)
Me too. That's the only episode of Hannibal I've seen actually.

The 'Angels' episode [a name I've given it, those who've seen it know] gave me faith that network TV was catching up to cable and movies.

Don't read if you already plan to watch the show, the visual is amazing and soul jarring, and you should be surprised by it.

Just know, other than The Good Wife, it's my favorite thing on the networks.

Spoiler!

Baby Lee 01-25-2014 10:40 PM

Best way to die fading out as an unsensing child whose dad hasn't failed you yet. That is some ****ed up brain activity, yet strangely poetic.

If you knew the world was evil and your dad couldn't do a thing about it, and you could just stop before pain started, what decision would a child make?

Why do I love it when the TV makes me ponder such dark twisted shit?

I don't love Criminal Minds nearly as much and it's way darker and twisted.

Maybe it's the difference between why good people quit and why bad people break. I don't care about bad people except stopping them, and I love good people so much.

The idea of Rush being jealous of his daughter for dying and missing the shit he's experienced is heartbreaking and life-affirming all at once.

Demonpenz 01-26-2014 02:51 PM

plus the redheads maayyyyn

Shag 01-26-2014 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10393539)
I don't think so. The only female doll was naked and there was a male doll on his knees between her legs.

Much like the scene where they found the antler girl, other than a clothed male between her legs - naked girl surrounded by clothed people. IMHO, it was clearly a crime scene, which would make much more sense than the alternative.