ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Am I the only one who feels kind of encouraged? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=318189)

Pitt Gorilla 10-14-2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 13818155)
Then that's on Veach. He has to account for finding quality depth in case starters were to drop. The fact that he still has to go get Zombo, tells me he isn't working the waiver wire as hard as he should have, in my opinion.

Surely, some LB's or S's on other teams practice squad surely would be better than Parker and/or Zombo, wouldn't you think (athletically-wise)?

Zombo was good on ST and set the edge on D. I don’t like him, but he wasn’t the issue tonight.

mnchiefsguy 10-14-2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13817996)
Considering how banged up our D is they didn’t play terrible. Made some really big stops. They won’t be great but Houston and berry will make a big enough difference to win this. Speaks is nowhere near ready. And frankly I’m happier to not have this overconfident narrative about how we’re patriot killers.

NE did not punt once. When a big stop was needed, the defense was non-existent.

mr. tegu 10-14-2018 10:34 PM

Really the worst thing about this game was the feeling of joy as Hill scored at the end then seeing three minutes left and wishing he got tackled.

https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uplo...-sad-gif-7.gif

FAX 10-14-2018 10:34 PM

I'm totally encouraged, Mr. DaFace. Totally.

This was a great game and we fought back against a team that didn't punt once.

We'll keep improving each week, learn how to start faster, Mahomes will figure out how to get his emotions under control in the first half, and the D will even improve.

It's all good.

FAX THE ENTIRELY OPTIMISTIC

WhiteWhale 10-14-2018 10:34 PM

Meh. I'm not discouraged. The game played out about how I expected.

Buehler445 10-14-2018 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 13818210)
Really the worst thing about this game was the feeling of joy as Hill scored at the end then seeing three minutes left and wishing he got tackled.

You always take the points. Always and in all ways. NE D was pretty nails in the red zone.

In famous Grbac style - Mahomes can't play defense too.

Frazod 10-14-2018 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 13818210)

Yep. I wish he'd ran around in circles near the 15 yard line for a few minutes.

Coach 10-14-2018 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 13818206)
Zombo was good on ST and set the edge on D. I don’t like him, but he wasn’t the issue tonight.

I get that, but I still cannot trust him to actually continue to set the edges on a consistent basis.

I'd rather have gone young, somewhat talented, inexperienced over a old nontalented dude.

Sorry, I'm just still frustrated and embarrassed by this defense.

crazycoffey 10-14-2018 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13817806)
I had this game down as a loss. (See the predictions poll for proof.) The Patriots always start out slow, and I still see them as top five in the league at worst. They're notoriously tough to beat at home. They had 10 days to prepare. We were missing two OL, two pass rushers, and about 40 DBs. Pat played like shit for a half.

And the game just came down to who had the ball last.

We weren't going 16-0. If this is the one we lose, that's one hell of a season. Looking forward to next week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13817819)
I liked the never quit attitude from the offense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter (Post 13817835)
I am with you...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 13817845)
The at denver game was the big one. This one? Oh well Brady is going to Brady. I think that instead of getting right back on the grind Andy could tell mahomes and some of the others to forget about football for a couple days. Come back tuesday ready to work. It seems like Mahomes is the kind of guy to watch tape and start working right after games.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverChief (Post 13817847)
Agreed - better to get the L now - no shame in losing to the Pats in their own house. It was a good game - need to work on our D tho

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13817872)
I agree that the defense is a dumpster fire, but again, were were missing FOUR starters. Two of the guys who started had never started an NFL game before. Did people really expect them to look decent against Tom Brady? Picking on inexperienced guys is literally one of his biggest strengths.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13817875)
I am actually. I felt like we were about to get blown out after it was 24-9.

The team proved it belonged on the same field with the AFC Champions.

It'll pay off in January.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTVietnam (Post 13817877)
This loss doesn't really hurt..I feel the same..

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 13817960)
Said it in the game thread at halftime. We will NEVER be out of a game with this offense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 13818018)
I don’t see that at all. Their defense is no better than ours and our offense is better. I don’t think they are really significantly better than us in any aspect of the game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 13818042)
A win would have been great. The loss is nothing but a speed bump for this team. Like the DaFace said, we were never going 16/0. This was great experience for Mahomes.

It also, for what good it'll do, put the shitty defense front and center as the major problem of the team. Doubt there's any way to fix it this year. Getting some back off the injured list will help but it probably still won't be good enough to go all the way.

I'm looking forward to watching the rest of Mahomes first year as the QB. And I can't wait to see what this team can do after fixing some of the problems on defense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 13818075)
4 road games 6 weeks 5-1

not too shabby

Yup x1000. It’s A good time to be a chiefs fan

DenverChief 10-14-2018 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycoffey (Post 13818294)
Yup x1000. It’s A good time to be a chiefs fan

crazycoffey long time no see!!!

ping2000 10-14-2018 11:04 PM

Encouraged by offense. Effense can **** themselves with aids tree branches.

Spott 10-14-2018 11:32 PM

It it impossible to get encouraged with anything this franchise does. Deep down, we all know how it always ends for us.

Rain Man 10-14-2018 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13818226)
Yep. I wish he'd ran around in circles near the 15 yard line for a few minutes.

I wonder how long he could do that. He could dodge one guy indefinitely, and he could dodge two for a while. It would take a while for the other defenders to figure out what was happening and get downfield. Could he have run three minutes off the clock?

RunKC 10-14-2018 11:40 PM

Chiefs have played 3 teams in 6 games with a winning record. Jags, Patriots, Steelers and Chargers are (along with us) among the best in the conference.

We play 4 teams with a winning record the rest of the season: Ravens, Bengals, Rams and Chargers.

3 of those are at home; 1 on a mutual field (Mexico).

This team should be 13-3 at worst.

ping2000 10-14-2018 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13818556)
Chiefs have played 3 teams in 6 games with a winning record. Jags, Patriots, Steelers and Chargers are (along with us) among the best in the conference.

We play 4 teams with a winning record the rest of the season: Ravens, Bengals, Rams and Chargers.

3 of those are at home; 1 on a mutual field (Mexico).

This team should be 13-3 at worst.

13-3. We suck when we are 13-3. I guess we suck in the playoffs when we aren't 13-3 though.

TwistedChief 10-15-2018 04:11 AM

This all comes down to believing in Mahomes. He proved tonight that he can just about make up for any massive failure on the other side of the ball. And he did it again in a tough environment.

We don't need to play a perfect game on both sides of the ball to beat the 'mighty' Patriots anymore and that is damn well encouraging.

Sassy Squatch 10-15-2018 04:33 AM

Call the Arizona Cardinals every single ****ing day until the trade deadline. Get Peterson and Reddick and salvage what you can of this dumpster fire of a defense.

bevischief 10-15-2018 04:37 AM

Sutton defense blocked someone at the buffet finally?

Easy 6 10-15-2018 05:04 AM

We were never going 16-0, but looking at the totality of circumstances surrounding this game... we can still hold our heads high

Mahomes was his usual brilliant self
The offense hummed as usual
Speaks got his first sack
Tremon Smith was excellent
Butker was perfect

Theres no shame in this loss, the Chiefs were in it to the very end

If Veach can add some talent to this defense, we're golden

Hog's Gone Fishin 10-15-2018 05:15 AM

One of the most satifying loses I can ever remember. If only speaks had made the sack instead of turning the goat loose it might have ended differently.

Sassy Squatch 10-15-2018 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 13818748)
One of the most satifying loses I can ever remember. If only speaks had made the sack instead of turning the goat loose it might have ended differently.

Defensive holding was called.

FlaChief58 10-15-2018 05:19 AM

Yep, no shame in going to NE and putting 40 on them. In fact we've done that 3 of the last 4 times we've played them.

bevischief 10-15-2018 05:33 AM

You bought ton Depends stocks and Sutton just bought a warehouse full.

Bewbies 10-15-2018 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13817888)
Not at all.

5-1, still leading the conference, hardest part of the schedule in the rear view mirror. :thumb:

This is exactly where I am.

5 and 1 after that 6 game run? Hell yes.

Bewbies 10-15-2018 05:42 AM

When Speaks gets moved to the line I think we have a good one. I like him a lot, just looks slow as hell at OLB.

Red Dawg 10-15-2018 05:45 AM

We should have won
Refs don't throw flags on NE ever. Yes we are crap on defense but still. No penalty yards is home cooking by the league that didn't want NE sitting at 3-3.

RaidersOftheCellar 10-15-2018 07:00 AM

I'm convinced that KC is the best in the AFC. Even when less than full strength. The D has issues but let's face it, now that Gordon and Edelman are in the mix and Gronk is heakthy, they're going to score on anyone.

I have zero doubts that we can beat that team in Arrowhead.

InChiefsHeaven 10-15-2018 07:18 AM

So, do you think they are bitching about their defense in Boston this morning? After all, they let an inexperienced QB score 31 points in the 2nd half and almost lost that game...

...goes both ways. OUr defense sucks, but I'm sure that the Pats fans are feeling the same about theirs. Thing is, they won't see another offense like ours,and we won't see another one like theirs (in their house).

DrunkBassGuitar 10-15-2018 07:25 AM

If the defense can improve to below average from the basement, this team can win a superbowl.

Putting up 40 points at NE is very encouraging. Chiefs with a below average defense wins this game by 10

CupidStunt 10-15-2018 07:56 AM

We gave up 43 and we ****ing suck on D, but we were also missing multiple KEY starters and on the road.

NE gave up 40 with their full lineup at home. The next time we play, their defense won't be any different whatsoever. It's going to suck ass all year long. If we can get healthy, and especially if we do make a trade or 2, our D will be better to the point we'll get at least a couple of stops that we didn't quite get last night, and that will be the difference.

If Berry remains a ghost and we don't make a deal and we don't earn HFA? Well it will basically be another coin-toss, whoever-has-the-ball-last game.

TEX 10-15-2018 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 13818144)
We can beat ANY team on ANY field. Think about that for a second. 3 AFC heavy weights on the road...2-1

Exactly! Not discouraged at all. 5-1, having played 4 road games, and leading the conference! There are 31 teams that would trade places with KC if they could. I'll take it every time!

Marcellus 10-15-2018 07:59 AM

I am absolutely stoked about the rest of the season. This loss hasn't fazed me one bit.

Absolute brutally tough schedule to start the season and we are 5-1 so far. Ill take it.

And Mahomes is showing he is resilient as **** and can go toe to toe with anyone. Fact is he can only stop himself.

pugsnotdrugs19 10-15-2018 08:01 AM

I've never felt more encouraged after a loss, I don't believe.

Schedule lightens up a bit now. I think we roll for awhile.

Sassy Squatch 10-15-2018 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13819077)
I've never felt more encouraged after a loss, I don't believe.

Schedule lightens up a bit now. I think we roll for awhile.

Wish I shared your optimism. This defense as it is today will absolutely cost us games. The future is bright with Mahomes but the shine is considerably dimmed by that disaster of a unit.

pugsnotdrugs19 10-15-2018 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13819088)
Wish I shared your optimism. This defense as it is today will absolutely cost us games. The future is bright with Mahomes but the shine is considerably dimmed by that disaster of a unit.

I think their performance is going to lead Veach to make a move or two here and get us to a more respectable level. Need Houston back when it counts, Berry would be awesome but hard to count on.

If that shit show forces Veach to make a big trade, I’m good with it.

DRM08 10-15-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

Mahomes contributed to the loss yesterday with 2 bad INT’s but I think he probably feels like he is re-living his college career. The defense is the pro version of what Tech’s defense was doing a few years ago. I don’t know about you, but I have zero confidence in the defense to get stops. The offense needs to be perfect.

Sassy Squatch 10-15-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13819091)
I think their performance is going to lead Veach to make a move or two here and get us to a more respectable level. Need Houston back when it counts, Berry would be awesome but hard to count on.

If that shit show forces Veach to make a big trade, I’m good with it.

This is where I'm at, minus Houston. He's been ****ing worthless in the playoffs for us. I'm more hopeful in Eric Berry not being a little bitch anymore than I am in Houston doing anything when it counts.

Sassy Squatch 10-15-2018 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 13819100)
Mahomes contributed to the loss yesterday with 2 bad INT’s but I think he probably feels like he is re-living his college career. The defense is the pro version of what Tech’s defense was doing a few years ago. I don’t know about you, but I have zero confidence in the defense to get stops. The offense needs to be perfect.

Counting on a rookie gunslinger to not make any mistakes is asinine. However, I have full faith in Mahomes to hold up his end of the bargain.

Chris Meck 10-15-2018 08:28 AM

350 yds, 4 td's and 2 INT's is a winning line 99% of the time. I'd take that every game. He was overly amped the first half, you could see it and I'm sure we were all saying "Calm down, man, calm down."

This defense is an abortion. Can't cover, can't tackle, can't rush.

MahiMike 10-15-2018 08:29 AM

I thought we were all extremely excited about our HOF QB. Future is bright.

mr. tegu 10-15-2018 08:29 AM

So we see again what this offense can do when they actually need to keep scoring. I know some people had minor concerns about second half let downs but this team is not like last seasons. They can keep scoring any time they want.

pugsnotdrugs19 10-15-2018 08:36 AM

I’m just looking at the schedule and the next 4 should absolutely be wins. Then you get the Rams which is tough but not impossible. Then the final 5 games generally look like wins. I’d say 1 loss maybe but both Oakland games should be Ws.

13-3 to me is what I see. If NE loses 2 of their 10, we still get HFA under that scenario.

CupidStunt 10-15-2018 08:38 AM

Quote:

Other than the Rams, there's no team left on the schedule anywhere close to the Patriots in terms of overall challenge. Sure there's a couple good QBs, but on teams that we'll shred for more points of our owns.

I mean for anyone feeling negative, here are the next 4 games:

CIN
DEN
@CLE
ARZ

3 home games, the toughest of which is vs a turnover-prone QB who's 0-10 on SNF.

We are going to be 9-1 heading to Mexico. And maybe we'll be a little healthier on D by then and we can easily beat the Rams; that's a coin-flip game. Their schedule is Charmin. They aren't as good as people think they are - the D is garbage, just like about 95% of teams.

FAX 10-15-2018 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13818751)

This was actually a very interesting play. (Just watched it again ... no All-22 up yet, sadly enough.)

Brady drops back, looks left to Gronk (he's covered) but that was just a feint. He really wants Hogan running the crosser, but Hogan's blanketed by Fuller who has inside shade and in position to pick the ball if Brady's stupid enough to throw it. Brady thinks about it (that's the pump), then pulls down the ball as he realizes Slowmo is closing fast(ish).

I think the side judge called the hold on Shaw who had made contact with Gronk (within the allowed 5 yards) and had his hands on him. I saw nothing illegal, though. Actually, Gronk flailed his arms like a "free my hands you bastard" move. Thing is, I don't think Shaw held him at all. (They both had their backs to the ref who made the call.) Shaw actually didn't need to hold him. Parker was doubling Gronk and watching Brady's eyes the whole time. Park could have jumped the pass if Brady had thrown it.

If the ref did call it on Shaw, it was a bad call (no homer).

Meanwhile, by the time Gordon got a half-step (definitely no hold on him), Slowmo had Brady in his grasp(ish). Since there's no good angle, I can't tell what Edelman was doing (looked like he was trying for a back pylon fade route).

As of now, my take is this; if the penalty actually occurred, it was AFTER Slowmo would have sacked Brady (if he actually had). But, I honestly think this was a repeat of the Faider game ... multiple EZ tries for the opponent in the redzone. Gronk's acting skill brought about this penalty, in my view. (We'll know more once the All-22 is up.)

This was with 5 minutes left. 33 to 30 at that point. In a way, the quick score helped us a little. As some of us have believed, our best defense is our offense ... if you don't turn the ball over.

Actually, this was one hell of a game. (If you don't like 2nd-half defense.)

FAX

Bearcat 10-15-2018 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13817806)
I had this game down as a loss. (See the predictions poll for proof.) The Patriots always start out slow, and I still see them as top five in the league at worst. They're notoriously tough to beat at home. They had 10 days to prepare. We were missing two OL, two pass rushers, and about 40 DBs. Pat played like shit for a half.

And the game just came down to who had the ball last.

We weren't going 16-0. If this is the one we lose, that's one hell of a season. Looking forward to next week.

Yeah, it was a fun game to watch.

I've compared other teams to Kansas basketball in that you have to watch to the end and you can't ever be completely sure they're out of it. Well, the Chiefs are now that kind of team and could be for a long time. Yeah, the defense will (probably) have to improve before they can think about winning a Super Bowl, but they're now must watch TV until the end, unlike pretty much every other team in the league.

Frazod 10-15-2018 08:41 AM

We should still be worried about the Chargers. They're only a game back now.

Glad the next meeting is at Arrowhead.

arrwheader 10-15-2018 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777 (Post 13818164)
I'm not discouraged about the loss itself, but what it might mean for seeding purposes. NE has a cupcake schedule, so we'll really need to not have many hickups to get the #1 seed now. Hopefully we go into the buy week with only 2 losses.

This. Don't feel like i usually do after a loss, especially against the Pats but sucks for seeding. Now I have to root for Pats to lose every game and they have a pretty damn easy schedule of course.

mr. tegu 10-15-2018 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13819137)
I’m just looking at the schedule and the next 4 should absolutely be wins. Then you get the Rams which is tough but not impossible. Then the final 5 games generally look like wins. I’d say 1 loss maybe but both Oakland games should be Ws.

13-3 to me is what I see. If NE loses 2 of their 10, we still get HFA under that scenario.

The Patriots are 0-2 on the road. I see at least two more losses from them with the Bears and Steelers being the best candidates. Then at home against the Packers and Vikings are definite potential losses. 2-2 in those games are very possible for them.

pugsnotdrugs19 10-15-2018 08:43 AM

NE has @ Chicago, GB, Minnesota, @ Miami, and @ Pittsburgh left on their schedule.

Our chances are still very much alive for HFA if we take care of our own business.

FAX 10-15-2018 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13818058)
I was just checking their schedule. First up, they have a road game against what will be a very pissed off Bears team next Sunday. That defense will slow Brady down, and Nagy has the offensive tools to score against New England's shitty defense. Hopefully Mack will toss Brady's helmet into the stands while is ****ing head is still in it. They also have games against Green Bay and Pittsburgh on the road and the Vikings at home. I'm thinking they'll lose at least two of these four.

They also still have road games against Tennessee and Miami. Not exactly pushovers.

LOL

FAX

mr. tegu 10-15-2018 08:44 AM

Am I the only one who feels kind of encouraged?

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrwheader (Post 13819162)
This. Don't feel like i usually do after a loss, especially against the Pats but sucks for seeding. Now I have to root for Pats to lose every game and they have a pretty damn easy schedule of course.

Have to root against them? You wouldn’t root for them to lose anyways?

CupidStunt 10-15-2018 08:47 AM

Let me put it another way. Other than the Rams, not a single team on our schedule is looking at KC and thinking "we can/will win that game." On the contrary, they'll all have it as a loss. Especially the Ravens, with their cute "good" D and shitty offense, the exact opposite of what you want in today's NFL.

FAX 10-15-2018 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks (Post 13818151)

I think the AFC championship game is going to be between the Chiefs and the Patriots. ...

I agree.

HFA is what we're playing for now.

Now that the NFL has tried to outlaw defense, the 12th man is crucial.

FAX

lcarus 10-15-2018 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13818751)

I blame the broadcast for making such a big deal of the play when it didnt matter

Halfcan 10-15-2018 08:51 AM

I am very encouraged by Mahomes- he outplayed Brady in every statistic.

Discouraged by Veech and his complete lack of judgment concerning defensive talent.

Burn this D to the ground in the offseason.

Sassy Squatch 10-15-2018 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupidStunt (Post 13819142)
Other than the Rams, there's no team left on the schedule anywhere close to the Patriots in terms of overall challenge. Sure there's a couple good QBs, but on teams that we'll shred for more points of our owns.

I mean for anyone feeling negative, here are the next 4 games:

CIN
DEN
@CLE
ARZ

3 home games, the toughest of which is vs a turnover-prone QB who's 0-10 on SNF.

We are going to be 9-1 heading to Mexico. And maybe we'll be a little healthier on D by then and we can easily beat the Rams; that's a coin-flip game. Their schedule is Charmin. They aren't as good as people think they are - the D is garbage, just like about 95% of teams.

I'm not really worried about the regular season anymore. If we don't make the playoffs this season shit went south in the most egregious of ways. However, we're more likely than not going to face one of if not both of the Steelers and Patriots in January. This level of ineptitude on the defense is going to **** us raw dog if Mahomes doesn't play a perfect game.

CupidStunt 10-15-2018 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 13819186)
I am very encouraged by Mahomes- he outplayed Brady in every statistic.

Discouraged by Veech and his complete lack of judgment concerning defensive talent.

Burn this D to the ground in the offseason.

Give Veach a chance. He's barely been on the job, and his targeting of Mahomes alone is worth 5 failed drafts.

But really, what talent has he judged? Fuller was good last year, I assume he'd stop sucking ass if we had competent outside corners and he could play slot more consistently. All the scrubs like Murray etc are not on him. It's way too early to judge Speaks, even though he looks like a bad fit, but maybe he knows we're switching schemes soon or something?

But man, **** that. Some of you guys have stupid dumb expectations. No GM is perfect, and if you have a GM that can perfectly identify a franchise QB when almost no other team could? ****, that buys him a few years in my book. If we're still shitty in 3 years, by all means I'll want him fired.

Iowanian 10-15-2018 08:57 AM

This offense showed that they are never out of a game, and I believe they can hang 40 on any team in the league. Mahomes looked rattled in the first half and came out throwing fire in the second....that's a good learning-growth experience and he answered the challenge. I love seeing that.

The defense isn't good right now with a full group of starters, and they have some key injuries right now. The safeties were the big concern but truthfully they weren't the problem last night. Brady is going to make plays and get some yards.

My bigger concern is the run defense. Ragland and Hitchens have a guard in their face on every run play. I can't decide if the D line is failing to hold up blockers, or if they are having trouble shedding them, but I'm concerned about the run game defense. Berry needs to get his ass on the field, or to IR so that spot can be filled with a body.

That said....if you had given me information that the Chiefs were going to be 5-1 at the end of this 6 game stretch I'd have been thrilled. This loss hurt a little last night and today, but big picture there is no shame in losing that game on a last second FG after being down 15 on the road in NE.

I'm encouraged.....my bad girlfriend has a legit chance to completely break my heart again at the end of the year, because we're doing so good and I don't think they'll cheat on me again...they promised.

CupidStunt 10-15-2018 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13819189)
I'm not really worried about the regular season anymore. If we don't make the playoffs this season shit went south in the most egregious of ways. However, we're more likely than not going to face one of if not both of the Steelers and Patriots in January. This level of ineptitude on the defense is going to **** us raw dog if Mahomes doesn't play a perfect game.

I agree, but let's not pretend those exact teams aren't saying the EXACT SAME THING - only neither of them has had their shit pushed in while missing a few KEY starters.

I'm not making excuses and we'll still be bad when (IF) we get fully healthy. But it cannot be understated how much difference it will make having Berry and Houston, among others, compared to the depth chart we had yesterday. And we saw how close the game was. The margin for error is SMALL, and those guys make the difference.

smithandrew051 10-15-2018 09:00 AM

Encouraged that we didn’t give up. Encouraged that the offense is never completely out of it. Encouraged that literally no defense in the league can even really slow them down (both scoring and yardage).

Discouraged that we had a golden opportunity to seize the AFC and came out so flat. Discouraged by the defense. Discouraged that Breeland Speaks talked about this being a moral victory. We need to act like true contenders instead of having a defeatist mentally that almost beating New England is good enough.

**** Speaks. You need to get your fatass pissed off after that performance. Be ****ing angry about it.

Iowanian 10-15-2018 09:02 AM

Speaks actually didn't play too bad, and he put pressure on Brady several times.

I think he lost the big sack because he tried to roll and not put a hit on Brady and didn't want to get flagged.....pretty much what he said and the league rules are shitting on defense right now.

Also, that's about 3 weeks in a row with obvious yellow flag bias....didn't really make an excuse, but there were some tacky calls on the Chiefs(several were legit) but the Chiefs defense was getting mugged to save Brady with no holding calls....

Lzen 10-15-2018 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13818549)
I wonder how long he could do that. He could dodge one guy indefinitely, and he could dodge two for a while. It would take a while for the other defenders to figure out what was happening and get downfield. Could he have run three minutes off the clock?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ArEgvdlMqN8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sassy Squatch 10-15-2018 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupidStunt (Post 13819198)
I agree, but let's not pretend those exact teams aren't saying the EXACT SAME THING - only neither of them has had their shit pushed in while missing a few KEY starters.

I'm not making excuses and we'll still be bad when (IF) we get fully healthy. But it cannot be understated how much difference it will make having Berry and Houston, among others, compared to the depth chart we had yesterday. And we saw how close the game was. The margin for error is SMALL, and those guys make the difference.

Berry and Houston aren't enough. At this point saying they've been unreliable recently would be putting it kindly. We need help. Now. Veach had better be working those phones.

pugsnotdrugs19 10-15-2018 09:05 AM

I watched some of the postgame interviews—I get this same sense from our players that they’re encouraged more than anything and they know that they’re going to get back on track next week, hauling ass straight towards another shot at New England.

Their confidence is still high, maybe even higher. Just need some fortune with health and a move or two and I think we’re going to the Super Bowl.

Halfcan 10-15-2018 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupidStunt (Post 13819190)
Give Veach a chance. He's barely been on the job, and his targeting of Mahomes alone is worth 5 failed drafts.

But really, what talent has he judged? Fuller was good last year, I assume he'd stop sucking ass if we had competent outside corners and he could play slot more consistently. All the scrubs like Murray etc are not on him. It's way too early to judge Speaks, even though he looks like a bad fit, but maybe he knows we're switching schemes soon or something?

But man, **** that. Some of you guys have stupid dumb expectations. No GM is perfect, and if you have a GM that can perfectly identify a franchise QB when almost no other team could? ****, that buys him a few years in my book. If we're still shitty in 3 years, by all means I'll want him fired.

I didn't say I wanted Veech fired. But to pay Watkins that kind of money- overpay on Hitchens, waste draft stock on reaches and completely failed at bringing any talent other than Fuller to beef up the secondary. Pretty bad offseason.

CupidStunt 10-15-2018 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13819210)
Berry and Houston aren't enough.

To help win a game, at home, we just lost by 3 while giving up 43?

Why yes, yes they are. They are precisely the players we need to make those 1 or 2 little plays that change the entire course of a game. Force one punt, knock down one ball, etc.

Sure, I want more via trade, too, but we do not need a billion changes to beat that team.

CupidStunt 10-15-2018 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 13819222)
I didn't say I wanted Veech fired. But to pay Watkins that kind of money- overpay on Hitchens, waste draft stock on reaches and completely failed at bringing any talent other than Fuller to beef up the secondary. Pretty bad offseason.

So you're basically expecting a perfect GM. All I can say is good luck. Every fan in the league complains about the bad, even in NE who have had MORE than their share of draft failures, all bailed out by having Brady. Literal end of story.

Chiefnj2 10-15-2018 09:10 AM

I find it hard to be encouraged when you have one of the worst defenses in the league. This is the Vermeil years all over again.

Sassy Squatch 10-15-2018 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupidStunt (Post 13819225)
So you're basically expecting a perfect GM. All I can say is good luck. Every fan in the league complains about the bad, even in NE who have had MORE than their share of draft failures, all bailed out by having Brady. Literal end of story.

Can you point to a single move in the 2018 offseason and say Veach did a good job? All I can see is Nnadi and getting a sucker to trade for Smith.

CupidStunt 10-15-2018 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 13819232)
I find it hard to be encouraged when you have one of the worst defenses in the league. This is the Vermeil years all over again.

Almost every team in the league cannot play defense. The Bears just gave up 31 points to Brock ****ing Osweiler. The Jags gave up 40 to the goddamn inept Cowboys.

Man, I was saying this all offseason and people just don't pay attention: the only thing that matters in the NFL is who your QB is.

That's why we were a joke with Smith and will now be a force for years. The title games in both conferences are going to come down to Mahomes/Brady/Ben and Brees/Wentz/Goff/Cousins/Rodgers. And almost none of those teams are any good whatsoever at playing defense.

I assume those with this train of thought think the Ravens are coming out of the AFC?

jaa1025 10-15-2018 09:17 AM

I'm encouraged by Mahomes and the offense...and special teams. That's it.

I don't think I could be more discouraged by the defense. Run defense is coaching and has progressively gotten worse. It really doesn't matter who the Chiefs acquire in trade they won't improve the defense under Sutton and the rest of the defensive staff.

Fire Sutton now and promote from within as interim DC. Fire everyone on that side of the ball during the off season. Reid will have his pick of coaches to hire as they will be fawning over joining the Chiefs with Mahomes and Reid.

DRM08 10-15-2018 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupidStunt (Post 13819248)
Almost every team in the league cannot play defense. The Bears just gave up 31 points to Brock ****ing Osweiler. The Jags gave up 40 to the goddamn inept Cowboys.

Man, I was saying this all offseason and people just don't pay attention: the only thing that matters in the NFL is who your QB is.

That's why we were a joke with Smith and will now be a force for years. The title games in both conferences are going to come down to Mahomes/Brady/Ben and Brees/Wentz/Goff/Cousins/Rodgers. And almost none of those teams are any good whatsoever at playing defense.

I assume those with this train of thought think the Ravens are coming out of the AFC?

Heck, the Ravens defense got torched by Andy Dalton. But even in a league with a lot of bad defense, the Chiefs defense still makes you shake your head. The non-existent tackling is particularly ridiculous at the professional level.

ModSocks 10-15-2018 09:20 AM

Didnt bother posting last night. Slept on it instead.

Woke up and remembered that 1 loss doesn't matter when you have a decade of dominance approaching. The Chiefs just hung 40 in Foxborough on the Patriots who had 10 days to prepare for Andy Reid.

Still hella optimistic. The Chiefs were never going to run the table. They took an L. Big whoop.

Sassy Squatch 10-15-2018 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 13819258)
Heck, the Ravens defense got torched by Andy Dalton. But even in a league with a lot of bad defense, the Chiefs defense still makes you shake your head. The non-existent tackling is particularly ridiculous at the professional level.

We are the worst in a field of historically bad.

Rain Man 10-15-2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13819237)
Can you point to a single move in the 2018 offseason and say Veach did a good job? All I can see is Nnadi and getting a sucker to trade for Smith.

Quote:

I'm really curious about how our scouting is so good on offense and special teams and so bad on defense. We're plucking offensive and special teams gems in middle and late rounds, yet can't get a decent defensive player in early rounds. Who's making the final scouting recommendations on defensive talent acquisition?

FAX 10-15-2018 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13819266)
Didnt bother posting last night. Slept on it instead.

Woke up and remembered that 1 loss doesn't matter when you have a decade of dominance approaching. The Chiefs just hung 40 in Foxborough on the Patriots who had 10 days to prepare for Andy Reid.

Still hella optimistic. The Chiefs were never going to run the table. They took an L. Big whoop.

Big this.

FAX

Pasta Little Brioni 10-15-2018 09:24 AM

Yet 5 teams have given up more points....the game is a joke now.

CupidStunt 10-15-2018 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13819267)
We are the worst in a field of historically bad.

...with the best QB.

Guess which matters more?

****ing come on. You seem like a smart guy but this negativity is dumb. You're coming off like you'd prefer a brand new and shiny Nissan than a used Ferrari.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-15-2018 09:32 AM

Bears were supposed to have an elite defense....Biff Assweiler came off the bench and fisted them for like 400 yards, a bunch of points, and multiple TDs. The game is that pathetic now.

Halfcan 10-15-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

I love Veech- but he has failed us on the defensive side of the ball so far.

Prime example- 2 of our worst defensive players from the last few years - Zombo and Parker are still starters on this shit defensive squad. Seriously? Veech could not find the 100th worse players to take over for the 129th worst?

He needs to start over after this year. Fire Sutton and bring in a young aggressive D coordinator that can begin a Real rebuild from the bottom up. Let the new guy bring in an entirely new staff.

Make the hard choices like- Cutting Berry- take the HUGE cap loss which will suck, but he hasn't played in forever and can't even get himself on the practice field. This contract will haunt us for several more years. There is no reason he should keep taking up a roster spot.

Move Fuller back to the slot where he was a stud.

Force Houston to restructure or cut him. His production does not come close to matching his paycheck.

Cut Ragland, Scandrick, Parker, Zombo, Sorensen.

All of these points have been gone over many, many times on here, so it is not new info.

Let's see how much of this list Veech actually gets done by kickoff of next year.