ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV *The NEW Movies Thread* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280244)

Pablo 01-12-2014 01:23 AM

I just watched 'Butter' on Netflix.

Jennifer Gardner and Ty Burell (Phil from Modern Family) as the main leads. Quirky, fun little comedy centered about butter sculpting. I'd say it's worth your 90 minutes if you like a mildly engaging story with plenty of good laughs. The wife and I enjoyed it.

Anyong Bluth 01-12-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 10363391)
I just watched 'Butter' on Netflix.

Jennifer Gardner and Ty Burell (Phil from Modern Family) as the main leads. Quirky, fun little comedy centered about butter sculpting. I'd say it's worth your 90 minutes if you like a mildly engaging story with plenty of good laughs. The wife and I enjoyed it.

Watched it months ago, but I agree, I enjoyed it.

Nzoner 01-12-2014 09:27 AM

We watched We're The Millers this weekend,personally I loved it,laughed my ass off.

Anyong Bluth 01-12-2014 12:00 PM

Watched In a World... last night and loved it.

It's written and directed by Lake Bell- if you were a Boston Legal fan, you'll remember her as Sally Heap.

Bunch of known actors make small appearances, and the other lead is Ken Marino. (The State, also in the last season of Eastbound and Down)

Most of the Cast:
Lake Bell
Fred Melamed
Demetri Martin
Michaela Watkins
Ken Marino
Rob Corddry
Nick Offerman
Tig Notaro
Eva Longoria
Jeff Garlin
Cameron Diaz
Geena Davis
Luke Wilson

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bZHBjLFu5is?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fire Me Boy! 01-12-2014 06:45 PM

Watch Europa Report this morning. It was enjoyable. Not what I was expecting - was expecting more of an Alien vibe - but good.

Deberg_1990 01-12-2014 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10363812)

It's written and directed by Lake Bell- if you were a Boston Legal fan, you'll remember her as Sally Heap.

No, but was a fan of a Surface on NBC

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452718/...nm_flmg_act_29

Dayze 01-12-2014 09:00 PM

watched Red Tails today.

steaming turd.

watched Identity Thief also and laughed quite a bit.

nstygma 01-12-2014 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10365719)
Watch Europa Report this morning. It was enjoyable. Not what I was expecting - was expecting more of an Alien vibe - but good.

I liked it until the ending. Who thought that would be a good idea?

Bump 01-13-2014 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 10366507)
I liked it until the ending. Who thought that would be a good idea?

ya the ending was a bit reeruned, but I enjoyed it for the most part. I didn't care for the marine biologist lady not getting back inside and the guy drifting into space was super cheesy.

Fish 01-13-2014 10:05 AM

Watched the Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I was actually really impressed. It totally exceeded my expectations in a good way. Touching movie that makes you want to get off your ass and do something with your pathetic life...

NewChief 01-13-2014 10:19 AM

Watched WWZ last night.

It was as I figured: I liked the movie, but I wish they wouldn't have named it after the book. The expectations built by saying it was based on the book were unfair to the movie.

Knowing that there would no similarity, I let myself enjoy the movie for its own sake. Still pisses me off that it's supposedly based on the excellent book, though.

In58men 01-13-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10361895)
I assume you've already watched this one, but How to Train Your Dragon was outstanding.

They're making a part 2

DMAC 01-13-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10346427)
Okay:

I need suggestions for family friendly movies that aren't the typical animated Pixar stuff because my kids have seen all of those. Things along the lines of Jumanji, Ghostbusters, Willow, Star Wars, The Hobbit, Harry Potter, etc...

I'd prefer movies with enough complexity to keep adults entertained, but they've got to be off the beaten path a bit. Classics with some artistic merit are preferred. We're talking a mature (too mature) 6 year old and a 9 year old here. The Hobbit is about as far as I'll go with the six year old as far as adult themes, and I caved on that one in a moment of weakness (I wanted to see the damned thing too, and I figured letting him see it was my best bet).

Some others they've enjoyed lately:
Escape to Witch Mountain
The Last Mimzy
Air Bud and all the "buddy" movies (groan, I can't stand watching these).

I'm thinking I may hit up all the Miyazaki movies soon. They saw Ponyo when they were younger, but I think they'd like all of them. My older child is obsessed with movies (like on the verge of Asperger's obsessed), so I'd like for him to at least watch stuff that isn't total shit, as he'll sit there and watch Super Buddies, Air Bud, Santa Buddies, and that dreck over and over if I let him, which causes no end of fights about what we're going to watch on family movie nights.

Flight of the Navigator

mr. tegu 01-13-2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10366769)
Watched the Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I was actually really impressed. It totally exceeded my expectations in a good way. Touching movie that makes you want to get off your ass and do something with your pathetic life...

Yep. I really liked it as well. Lots of funny moments as well. But something doesn't make sense...

Spoiler!

Anyong Bluth 01-13-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10366994)
Yep. I really liked it as well. Lots of funny moments as well. But something doesn't make sense...

Spoiler!

Spoiler!