ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Could we beat the Jets with only our defense? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=334661)

TribalElder 10-28-2020 09:57 PM

Could we beat the Jets with only our defense?

If we let the Jets be on offense the entire game and our offense never takes the field could we beat the Jets with only our defense?

mr. tegu 10-28-2020 09:59 PM

No but we could probably beat them with only one possession in each half.

Why Not? 10-28-2020 10:00 PM

Literally? No, because our defense would tire out. So the real question would be, since we’re doing silly hypotheticals, could the Chiefs defense with appropriately timed breaks throughout game or a cloned set of the defensive starters to keep everyone fresh, beat the Jets. And the answer is.....absolutely

wazu 10-28-2020 10:01 PM

Are we allowed to kick field goals after a turnover?

TribalElder 10-28-2020 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 15283428)
Are we allowed to kick field goals after a turnover?

ooooh, didn't account for special teams

lcarus 10-28-2020 10:05 PM

So if the Jets don't convert on 4th down do they just get a fresh set of downs where they're at, or do they have to start back on the 20 or 25? Do the Chiefs have to just immediately punt if they get the ball? If the Jets turn the ball over but the Chiefs don't return it for a TD, do the Jets just get the ball with a 1st down wherever the Chiefs returned the fumble/interception to?

If the Jets knew the only way the Chiefs were scoring a single point is if they got a safety or turnover returned for a TD, I think that would factor into their gameplan. They'd just run it and run it some more until they eventually got a field goal.

Why Not? 10-28-2020 10:07 PM

Nope. No special teams. Defense is defense. Gotta think considering the matchups if we played every snap of the game on defense, we could score two TD’s. So our optimism total will be 12.

So, the other way to phrase this question would be

Do the Jets score more than 12 points Sunday. And I, for one, think the correct answer is....

Nope.

Rain Man 10-28-2020 10:08 PM

Do we get punt returns? What happens on fourth down? I presume we get a punt return and then if we don't score they get the ball where it ends up, right?

I refuse to get overconfident, though. Any given Sunday is a real thing. We won two games in 2012 under Romeo Crennel.

lcarus 10-28-2020 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 15283444)
Nope. No special teams. Defense is defense. Gotta think considering the matchups if we played every snap of the game on defense, we could score two TD’s. So our optimism total will be 12.

So, the other way to phrase this question would be

Do the Jets score more than 12 points Sunday. And I, for one, think the correct answer is....

Nope.

Ok no special teams. So what happens when the Jets don't convert on 4th down? They have to start over at the 20? Because if the Chiefs don't ever get to possess the ball, there essentially are no downs for the Jets.

wazu 10-28-2020 10:11 PM

Are we allowed to let Mahomes play defense?

htismaqe 10-28-2020 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 15283450)
Are we allowed to let Mahomes play defense?

The whole point is to keep Mahomes from getting hurt. It's scary!

bringbackmarty 10-28-2020 10:18 PM

Last game was a snow game against a green qb coming off an injury, let's not pretend we've got the 85 bears. That said I would be surprised if it's close at all.

St. Patty's Fire 10-28-2020 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bringbackmarty (Post 15283458)
Last game was a snow game against a green qb coming off an injury, let's not pretend we've got the 85 bears. That said I would be surprised if it's close at all.

take the broncos offense, make it ten times worse, with even worse coaching and line play, and you've got the Jets offense

i think a high school defense could hold them under 20

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 10-28-2020 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15283457)
The whole point is to keep Mahomes from getting hurt. It's scary!

He played safety in high school. Could probably be the Jets starting FS

St. Patty's Fire 10-28-2020 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 15283486)
He played safety in high school. Could probably be the Jets starting FS

One of the Jets like three good players is their starting FS