ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

Frazod 03-23-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 5604127)
shockingly Ebert gave it 4 out of 4 stars, and called it the best SciFi movie he's ever seen.

I've noticed that Ebert's taste in movies and how he judges them has altered over the past couple of years. He tends to give mindless junk a pass far more easily now than he once did. This may be a biproduct of all the cancer shit he's going through, but he's mellowed. A lot.

BigMeatballDave 03-23-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 5604127)
shockingly Ebert gave it 4 out of 4 stars, and called it the best SciFi movie he's ever seen.

LMAO

keg in kc 03-23-2009 01:32 PM

Who knows, I haven't seen it. I thought Ebert's Watchmen review was pretty on, though.

blaise 03-23-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5604151)
I've noticed that Ebert's taste in movies and how he judges them has altered over the past couple of years. He tends to give mindless junk a pass far more easily now than he once did. This may be a biproduct of all the cancer shit he's going through, but he's mellowed. A lot.

He also seems like he interjects some personal agenda he has against or for certain actors or directors or topical slants when he rates some films. I generally disregard his reviews.

shb033196 03-23-2009 02:51 PM

1st time poster here and I have to say that I concur with Ebert's take on Knowing. True, there are some drawbacks and the ending was foreshadowed 30 minutes before it took place but it was thoroughly enjoyed by both my daughter and myself. It was the first movie I've seen in a long time that encouraged diologue after the movie was over, especially the climax. The 2 disaster scenes were intense, so intense that I actually questioned the MPAA only giving it a PG-13 rating. I gave it a 90 on rottentomatoes.

Frazod 03-23-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shb033196 (Post 5604535)
1st time poster here and I have to say that I concur with Ebert's take on Knowing. True, there are some drawbacks and the ending was foreshadowed 30 minutes before it took place but it was thoroughly enjoyed by both my daughter and myself. It was the first movie I've seen in a long time that encouraged diologue after the movie was over, especially the climax. The 2 disaster scenes were intense, so intense that I actually questioned the MPAA only giving it a PG-13 rating. I gave it a 90 on rottentomatoes.

Is it worth seeing in the theater?

Baby Lee 03-23-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 5604254)
He also seems like he interjects some personal agenda he has against or for certain actors or directors or topical slants when he rates some films. I generally disregard his reviews.

I think he's metaphysically incapable of giving any movie with a white dude dating a black chick less than 3 1/2 stars any more.

patteeu 03-23-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5604582)
Is it worth seeing in the theater?

He gave it a 90 on rottentomatoes and endorsed the view of a critic who apparently called it the best sci fi movie he's ever seen. What do you think?

Frazod 03-23-2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 5604606)
He gave it a 90 on rottentomatoes and endorsed the view of a critic who apparently called it the best sci fi movie he's ever seen. What do you think?

Well, see, there are some good movies that aren't necessarily worth a theater ticket. I have a very large TV and a blu-ray player, so unless it's something truly spectacular, I can wait the three months until the movie comes out on DVD. Hence the question.

And while I appreciate your idiotic commentary on some minute level, in the future, you can just assume that unless I'm seeking opinions about being a mindless Nazi robot or chugging cock, I have absolutely no interest in anything you have to say.

Now run along back to DC and squeal about Obama some more.

Buehler445 03-23-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shb033196 (Post 5604535)

Welcome to the Planet.

Keep posting.

patteeu 03-23-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5604988)
Well, see, there are some good movies that aren't necessarily worth a theater ticket. I have a very large TV and a blu-ray player, so unless it's something truly spectacular, I can wait the three months until the movie comes out on DVD. Hence the question.

And while I appreciate your idiotic commentary on some minute level, in the future, you can just assume that unless I'm seeking opinions about being a mindless Nazi robot or chugging cock, I have absolutely no interest in anything you have to say.

Now run along back to DC and squeal about Obama some more.

The guy just saw the movie, presumably in a theater, and then he raves about it. I think it's pretty clear that he thinks it was worth seeing there. If you've got some super special criteria that have to be met before the movie industry can lure you out onto the mean streets of frazodville, it might help if you give him a clue as to what those criteria are. Just trying to help.

Jenson71 03-23-2009 07:16 PM

I watched The Last Emperor yesterday. Not to sound patronizing, but Asian people are cute and quite enjoyable to listen to. My family and I took the Grayline Bus Tour through New York last week and were fortunate enough to have an Asian tour guide telling us about the city. She did a horrible job, mostly talking about "tips an' gra-too-ities" and schedules for stops, but I loved it. I have a Modern China class and a little Chinese woman teaches that. It's a great time. Her stories and little expressions ("he fail ezzamination -- he was a looser. He wah dizzapointah an' wen back home") are hilarious. I imagine her as a ninja in the evenings. She ****s up "United States" so bad it almost sounds like "Russia" which can be quite confusing if you hadn't read the material beforehand.

Anyway, the movie was very good, but the Empress Dowager and previous emperor did not die on the same day. The previous emperor (who had been imprisoned long before) died two days earlier, probably from poisoning ordered by the Empress. That's all the farther we've gotten in class, so if there were other inaccuracies, I am ignorant of them.

Buehler445 03-23-2009 10:16 PM

Jesus ****ING Christ. They made another Crank movie.

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-23-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 5605692)
Jesus ****ING Christ. They made another Crank movie.

Much like the Transporter, I wasn't aware that a sequel was required.

Buehler445 03-23-2009 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan (Post 5605713)
Much like the Transporter, I wasn't aware that a sequel was required.

Transporter (original movie AND series) was WORLDs better than Crank. **** me. And is that Danny DeVito's voice in the trailer?

This abortion most likely should have went directly to DVD.