ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV 6 minute long "Cloud Atlas" trailer. New Wachowski Bros. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261808)

Buck 10-17-2012 03:20 PM

Finally got around to reading this book.

The first chapter almost borders on unreadable, but it starts getting good right near the end of the first chapter and then the chapter ends with a mind****.

Was planning on keeping this book at work as my daily reader, but I'm so intrigued now that I'll probably finish it this weekend.

Buehler445 10-18-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9025366)

The first chapter almost borders on unreadable, but it starts getting good right near the end of the first chapter and then the chapter ends with a mind****.

Was planning on keeping this book at work as my daily reader, but I'm so intrigued now that I'll probably finish it this weekend.

You read books at work?

Buck 10-18-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9027365)
You read books at work?

I have a 30 min lunch break and two 15 min breaks.

L.A. Chieffan 10-18-2012 09:28 AM

The Chapter in Hawaii was the hardest for me with the accent but once I started talking like that IRL it was no problem

Red Brooklyn 10-18-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9025366)

I've read the book.

What was the mind**** at the end of the first chapter? I don't recall anything really grabbing me until the second section.

Ended up LOVING the book, by the way.

Buck 10-18-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9029796)
I've read the book.

What was the mind**** at the end of the first chapter? I don't recall anything really grabbing me until the second section.

Ended up LOVING the book, by the way.

Spoiler!

CoMoChief 10-19-2012 03:27 PM

When I think Wachowski Bros. I think about eating shrooms.

Deberg_1990 10-19-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9031074)
When I think Wachowski Bros. I think about eating shrooms.

Technically, they are Wachowski siblings now.

JD10367 10-25-2012 08:38 AM

Just test-ran "Cloud Atlas". Fascinatingly complex yet ultimately simple, like life (which is fitting). Amazing acting by the few involved (as each actor plays many parts of various sexes; wait for the credit roll). A movie to be dissected and savored.

Bowser 10-29-2012 09:06 AM

Anyone check this out this weekend? They're already throwing the "bust" label on this one....

With a $100 million budget, "Cloud Atlas" was banking on box office success. If this weekend is any indication, it's going to be a slow process making that $100 million back. The movie, which stars Tom Hanks and Halle Berry, made $9.4 million this weekend across 2,008 theaters, bringing it to the number three spot.

It was beat by "Argo," which rose to number one for the first time since its release three weeks ago. The movie brought in $12.4 million for the weekend, for a total of $60.8 million since debut.

Adding insult to injury, the sci-fi adaptation was also beat by "Hotel Transylvania," which made $9.5 million in its fifth week. The movie has now earned $130.4 million which is record-breaking for Sony for animation movies.

Distributed by Warner Bros., "Cloud Atlas" has received mixed reviews. Directors Andy and Lana Wachowski and Tom Tywker oversaw the film's adaptation from David Michell's best-selling book. Mitchell himself reportedly thought the book would be unfilmable because of its broad fantasy aspects.

THR is reporting that Warner Bros. president was quick to point out that "Cloud Atlas" did see success in that it had the highest per screen average of any top 10 movie, with $4,681.

It was a quiet box office weekend across the board as three other movies saw small opening weekends as well. Horror movie "Silent Hill Revelation 3D" had an $8 million weekend, Halloween flick "Fun Size" brought in $4.1 million, and Gerard Butler's surfing drama "Chasing Mavericks" made a disappointing $2.2 million.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2035086.html

L.A. Chieffan 10-29-2012 09:30 AM

I havent seen Argo but I heard its excellent from nearly everybody. Id give CA the benefit of a doubt with the hurricane and everything. Plus with the global release its pretty much guaranteed to surpass what it was made for

Sorter 10-29-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 9047832)
Just test-ran "Cloud Atlas". Fascinatingly complex yet ultimately simple, like life (which is fitting). Amazing acting by the few involved (as each actor plays many parts of various sexes; wait for the credit roll). A movie to be dissected and savored.

This is what I expected. Can't wait to see it.

Deberg_1990 10-29-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9061902)
Anyone check this out this weekend? They're already throwing the "bust" label on this one....

Im fairly certain WB knew it was going to be a hard sell with this movie from the start. The Wachowskis obviosuly have alot of good faith built up with WB in order to be able to spend so much on a non commerical project like this.

DMAC 10-29-2012 10:48 AM

We were one of only 3 couples in the theater.

And, I was squinting trying to get what was happening quite a few times. I mean, I got the gist of the movie, but ....I don't know. I can't tell you if it was good or not.

Either I tried too hard, or I am just not intelligent enough.

TrickyNicky 10-29-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 9062300)
We were one of only 3 couples in the theater.

And, I was squinting trying to get what was happening quite a few times. I mean, I got the gist of the movie, but ....I don't know. I can't tell you if it was good or not.

Either I tried too hard, or I am just not intelligent enough.

I wish they had subtitles for about half the movie. The "Big Island" scenes especially.

I really liked it otherwise.