ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Red Light Camera Violation (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269220)

hometeam 01-23-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9344437)
As much as I hate to say it but, I think the camras are a good thing. Intersection accidents were getting out of control down here because so many dumbasses thought that yellow meant "floor that bitch".

Maybe we should put cameras in all public places! That way no bad guys could ever get us!

Tombstone RJ 01-23-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9345193)
take a picture of $100 and mail it in
**** the local revenue generating govt.

:LOL:

I got a ticket in the mail too. They got me going like 55 in a 35 or something like that. It was on a major street in the middle of Denver and I had just exited the highway and I didn't slow down enough I guess. The thing is the picture was of the entire front of my jeep. So they had my picture (I was wearing some fantastic shades too, looking good) and my license plate, and the make and model of my car. So I was pretty much screwed. I should have taken a picture of the check and mailed that instead of the actual check, that's just a fantastic idea! :p

cosmo20002 01-23-2013 09:47 PM

I got out of my red light ticket in KCMO about a year ago. The truth was that I actually wasn't driving, but they sent me the ticket because the car was in my name. I was actually out of town and had an airfare and hotel receipt.

I called the prosecutor's office and explained I had this info that I could fax/e-mail them and asked them to drop the charge. They said no, I had to show up at my court date if I wanted to contest it.

I go to court and talk to the prosecutor beforehand--showed my receipts. They said I had to fill out a form--which included naming who was actually driving. I said, "I shouldn't have to give someone's name--I wasn't even present at the incident, so I don't have first-hand knowledge anyway. Don't you need to prove it was me driving? I have evidence here showing it couldn't have been me. How can you still press charges?"

Prosecutor said he was not allowed to drop red light charges. So I had to wait my turn for the judge. Gave the judge my receipts and he asked who was driving. I said, "I wasn't there, so I can't say for sure." He didn't press me about it and dismissed the charge.

So, I didn't have to pay, but it was still a complete pain in the ass, especially considering I didn't actually commit the violation. In principle, I don't necessarily think the cameras are bad, but I do think it is complete BS that they don't have to prove you are the one driving by at least getting your face in the photo.

redgoldexpress 01-23-2013 11:21 PM

My wife and I just went to court for a red light violation. It was not because of a camera but an officer supposedly saw my wife run a red light. I happened to be in the car when this happened, and we were in the intersection when the light turned red. An Independence PD officer in an unmarked turned on the discos and pulled us over and gave us a ticket. When we received the ticket in the mail, we went to the courthouse to contest the ticket, once we got in front of the judge the officer said that he just looked at the video right before he came across the street to the courthouse. The judge granted a continuance for last week, in which the judge requested the officer to bring in the copy of the tape. Once we got in front of the judge the officer again explained what happened and stated that the dash cam footage of the violation had been purged and that he did not have the video evidence. The judge then asked my wife to explain her side of the story in which she did. After about 10 seconds the judge fined us with court cost the fine was $100.00. I in turned asked the judge why did he side with the officer when it is up the accuser to prove if you are guilty after all you are "innocent until proven guilty" the judge said that you could file an appeal. When we asked about the appeal process it would have cost us another $160-$170 to file the appeal in which we could of not "won" our money back. So we just decided to pay the $100 and call it good.

ThaVirus 01-23-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redgoldexpress (Post 9346381)
My wife and I just went to court for a red light violation. It was not because of a camera but an officer supposedly saw my wife run a red light. I happened to be in the car when this happened, and we were in the intersection when the light turned red. An Independence PD officer in an unmarked turned on the discos and pulled us over and gave us a ticket. When we received the ticket in the mail, we went to the courthouse to contest the ticket, once we got in front of the judge the officer said that he just looked at the video right before he came across the street to the courthouse. The judge granted a continuance for last week, in which the judge requested the officer to bring in the copy of the tape. Once we got in front of the judge the officer again explained what happened and stated that the dash cam footage of the violation had been purged and that he did not have the video evidence. The judge then asked my wife to explain her side of the story in which she did. After about 10 seconds the judge fined us with court cost the fine was $100.00. I in turned asked the judge why did he side with the officer when it is up the accuser to prove if you are guilty after all you are "innocent until proven guilty" the judge said that you could file an appeal. When we asked about the appeal process it would have cost us another $160-$170 to file the appeal in which we could of not "won" our money back. So we just decided to pay the $100 and call it good.

The good ol' justice system at work right there.

redgoldexpress 01-23-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9346389)
The good ol' justice system at work right there.

Yeah I know tell me about it.

verbaljitsu 01-23-2013 11:54 PM

I am a lawyer. I have had about ten of these dismissed in the last year. They can't make them. However, they fight tooth and nail when a pro se defendant tries to fight them. They quietly dismiss them when a lawyer appears. The problem is they set the fine amount almost perfectly. I need to charge about $100 to make it worth the effort. So the only people that make sense to hire me have like 5 red light tickets or more serious companion charges.

You absolutely cannot ignore them. They will issue warrants. Eventually you could get your license suspended.

Predarat 01-24-2013 11:51 AM

I want to take a baseball bat or hammer and beat the shit out of every Red Light camera ever made.

mikeyis4dcats. 01-24-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 9344451)
Actually, its a stop light, not a stop sign. Stop signs don' give you a half second warning before they appear.

neither do stop lights. light durations, including yellows, are mandated by DOT regs.

Frazod 01-24-2013 03:56 PM

Naperville actually removed the damned things. Thank God.

MahiMike 01-24-2013 04:34 PM

They just started putting these in here in Jax. I'm kinda glad actually. Here, if you don't run a red light, you're likely to get rear-ended by 3 more cars behind you.

Valiant 01-24-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 9347556)
I want to take a baseball bat or hammer and beat the shit out of every Red Light camera ever made.

Offer young kids to paintball the cameras.. No real damage, just have to wait for them to be cleaned.. hypothetically of course..

houstonwhodat 01-24-2013 08:24 PM

In Texas they tried to outlaw them.

A cop told me that it's not a moving violation because a cop has to personally write that type of ticket.

Tombstone RJ 01-24-2013 08:36 PM

it's nothing more than a revenue stream for local municipalities IMHO. It's understandable why so many towns are trying to use this system because it generates revenue which is a positive, it "may" prevent accidents and it frees up law enforcement to concentrate on other things like bustin' hardened criminals and eat'n deep fried donuts!

Saulbadguy 01-24-2013 08:43 PM

Ignore it. Don't pay.