ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

KCChiefsMan 07-24-2009 01:34 PM

that Zombie Land looks alright

Jenson71 07-24-2009 05:13 PM

Today I watched Becket and Badlands.

Becket is led by two great actors -- Richard Burton (Becket) and Peter O'Toole (Henry II). The production is a high quality classical period style that is always visually pleasing to me. The scene when they cross the English Channel is beautiful, and so is the reconciliation attempt scene. Also fine are those inside church scenes, like the Bishop's Ordination and when Becket excommunicates a lord, powering on of the Devil and his fallen angels.

There is much homoeroticism in the film. It is not subtle. Henry II talks so much of his love for Becket that it becomes one of the main themes of the film, interestingly and provactively, along with defending God's honor, power between Church and state, and broken friendships.

Badlands is a visual and aural treat, like all of Malick's films. His simple story of common people resembles more Days of Heaven than his later two films. Martin Sheen is a great actor here, and the innocent Sissy Spacek plays someone so young and naive but starting to lose the romantic luster near perfectly. The ending is weird. What is with all the cops that seem to admire this brutal killer? Are they just amusing him? It confused me.

Fairplay 07-24-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 5922155)
Zombie Land...

Me likey the previews. Love fun movies like that.

On a serious note. Have you ever thought if a virus actual started taking over man and it got to the point where you had to lock yourself in and defend yourself?
If the the virus was so bad that you had to avoid the infected or you would get like them and eventually die over time. And you wasn't sure who was infected until a few days later when they showed signs of being infected.

It could happen in this day and age. That would be pretty wild stuff there.

Fairplay 07-24-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5918881)
Just got done watching Watchmen.

Wow.

Just.... ****ing WOW.

Amazing, magnificent, next-level movie. Moved me on a level only a handful of movies have. I've never seen a film where so much effort was put into every single shot. Great... everything.

I will immediately buy the blu-ray and kick myself in the ass for not seeing this in the theater.

On a 10 scale, this is a 20.

I am surprised you liked it. I will have to rent this to find out about this movie.

Now my curiosity is aroused.

blaise 07-24-2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 5923076)
I am surprised you liked it. I will have to rent this to find out about this movie.

yeah, I kind of thought the same thing. I'm generally not that into comic book stuff, but maybe I'll check it out.

KcMizzou 07-24-2009 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 5923125)
yeah, I kind of thought the same thing. I'm generally not that into comic book stuff, but maybe I'll check it out.

It's really nothing like your usual "comic book movie".

OnTheWarpath15 07-24-2009 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 5923076)

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 5923125)

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 5923251)
It's really nothing like your usual "comic book movie".

Damn.

I was this close to ordering it on DTV tonight since the wife is at a baby shower.

I'm probably better off just spending a few more bucks and owning it on BluRay

pikesome 07-26-2009 01:56 AM

Between Friday and today (well, yesterday actually) I caught up on some more of the movies I missed. It seems like a lot of movies but the two "kids" movies I watched while I did laundry and other in door chores with the youngest.

1408 wasn't very good and I'm not sure why. The actors/acting was pretty good, the plot wasn't bad for a horror movie, the look was decent. I think the movie wasn't sure what kind of horror movie it wanted to be, parts were surreal ala The Shinning but it just didn't deliver. I think this is something you lay at the director's feet.

Bee Movie is shite, pure unadulterated shite. Think about every negative you could tag an animated film with and it's here. The plot is stupid. The voice acting was bad, especially Seinfeld's. The dialog between Seinfeld and Zellweger, terrible. Even the animation is meh at best.

Dark Crystal is movie I remember loving as a child but the difference between being 7 when I saw it and my 5yo son is more than just a couple years. He was freaked out by the "puppets" and uninterested in the plot. It's still pretty impressive what they did with their puppetry but time has taken the "gee-wiz" away and the remaining movie is kind of lacking. It's a cardboard cut-out of a movie dressed up with great puppetry.

The Rocker was funny, I enjoyed it. It feels much like School of Rock but, since I'm not a big Jack Black fan, I though The Rocker was better. The bad guy band, Vesuvius, is definitely better/funnier and the sleaze from the record company has some great, over the top, lines. Not great cinema but entertaining.

And lastly, How to Lose Friends and Alienate People was pretty good too. The plot is mostly formula, what made the movie worth watching is Simon Pegg and the shenanigans he and his mouth inflict. The rest of the cast doesn't get in the way and Megan Fox is the sexy starlet much of the movie revolves around.

Frazod 07-26-2009 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 5923303)
Damn.

I was this close to ordering it on DTV tonight since the wife is at a baby shower.

I'm probably better off just spending a few more bucks and owning it on BluRay

Watchmen is definitely a blu ray movie. I watched it first on Wednesday and again on Friday. Neat watching it the second time and noticing all the shit you didn't catch the first time.

I also ordered some older movies from Amazon on blu ray that are worth the upgrade; the first two Terminators and the first Matrix. I'm not going to upgrade all my old DVDs (I'd go broke, and for most I don't give a shit), but the I'll repurchase the really good movies with high-powered special effects.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-26-2009 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5925553)
Watchmen is definitely a blu ray movie. I watched it first on Wednesday and again on Friday. Neat watching it the second time and noticing all the shit you didn't catch the first time.

I also ordered some older movies from Amazon on blu ray that are worth the upgrade; the first two Terminators and the first Matrix. I'm not going to upgrade all my old DVDs (I'd go broke, and for most I don't give a shit), but the I'll repurchase the really good movies with high-powered special effects.

Yeah, I'm re-watching Watchmen right now. Thank God for scurrilous little bastards who work at Blockbuster, who desire P2P bragging rights over their friends, and who take take great pride in their piracy skills.

kcxiv 07-26-2009 02:53 AM

I just watched I love you man. ****ing funny movie. I enjoyed it alot. I laughed so hard during the drinking the beer scene. Get the **** out of my house! lol

Pioli Zombie 07-26-2009 06:34 AM

Cable has allowed me to catch up on some movies and a few really stood out.

"Reign Over Me". Adam Sandler was amazing in this movie

"Friends With Money". Another very good Jennifer Aniston role.

"Duane Hopwood". David Schwimmer as a very believable alcoholic.

I can't remember the title but Ben Affleck directed this great movie starring Casey Affleck and Morgan (granddaugher diddler) Freeman about PI's trying to find a kidnapped little girl in Boston. Fantastic movie.
Posted via Mobile Device

patteeu 07-26-2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioli Zombie (Post 5925650)
Cable has allowed me to catch up on some movies and a few really stood out.

"Reign Over Me". Adam Sandler was amazing in this movie

"Friends With Money". Another very good Jennifer Aniston role.

"Duane Hopwood". David Schwimmer as a very believable alcoholic.

I can't remember the title but Ben Affleck directed this great movie starring Casey Affleck and Morgan (granddaugher diddler) Freeman about PI's trying to find a kidnapped little girl in Boston. Fantastic movie.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gone Baby Gone

Pioli Zombie 07-26-2009 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 5925715)
Gone Baby Gone

Yes! Thank you. I was shocked at how good that movie was. And Casey Affleck was terrific.
Posted via Mobile Device

patteeu 07-26-2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioli Zombie (Post 5925731)
Yes! Thank you. I was shocked at how good that movie was. And Casey Affleck was terrific.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, I agree it was a good one.