ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Black Mirror? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313197)

Discuss Thrower 01-12-2018 12:06 PM

Black Mirror?

I haven't watched all of the episodes, but from what I have seen it's been great.

Watched White Christmas last night... and it's a doozy, but I highly recommend people give it a shot and since Black Mirror is an anthology series, you don't have to watch the previous season (though I think there are very minor background linkages among the episodes as things progress.) For the episode itself, you're in for a treat if you're a fan of a certain series lead from a certain period drama from AMC.

I skipped around San Junipero from Season 3 after seeing Redditors rave about the episode and because of Mackenzie Davis. Great concept for a story and definitely worth viewing.

I talked about USS Callister from Season 4 in the Star Trek thread and again I say that it's worth a watch. I was sold once I saw Cristin Milioti and Jimmi Simpson in the cast.. but Jesse Plemons ****ing knocked the episode out of the park.

Hang the DJ... oh man. Maybe it's because of my age and the thematic matter of the episode, but **** that's a definite must recommend from my end.

BigBeauford 01-12-2018 12:18 PM

Great show overall. It can be a bit too topical at times which wont age well, and maybe a bit too deep in the social justice weeds, but I like the overwhelming creativity. This season wasnt bad, and I think Metalhead is the most underrated episode of the bunch.

mikeyis4dcats. 01-12-2018 12:25 PM

its a fun ride, some eps great, others bad, but overall worth your time

Fish 01-12-2018 12:43 PM

Watched the very first episode, National Anthem, and thought it was the stupidest thing I'd seen in a long while. The entire premise was just so ridiculous and unbelievable, I didn't want to continue with the rest of the episodes. Painfully stupid and disgusting.

Synopsis, if you haven't seen it and don't care about spoilers:

Spoiler!

vailpass 01-12-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13356223)
Watched the very first episode, National Anthem, and thought it was the stupidest thing I'd seen in a long while. The entire premise was just so ridiculous and unbelievable, I didn't want to continue with the rest of the episodes. Painfully stupid and disgusting.

Synopsis, if you haven't seen it and don't care about spoilers:

Spoiler!

I saw NewChief put this series on his watch list so I too watched this episode. My reaction was the EXACT same as yours.
I mean WTF?
Maybe I’ll watch a different ep to see if this one was an outlier.

AssEaterChief 01-12-2018 02:26 PM

One of my favorite shows. Every episode is a different story so I wouldn't get discouraged by the 1st show.

My favorites are:

Shut up and Dance
Playtest
White Christmas
Hang the DJ
Black Museum
Men Against Fire

San Junipero is very thought provoking too even though I had to watch it 3 or 4 times to really appreciate it.

Bowser 01-12-2018 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AssEaterChief (Post 13356427)
One of my favorite shows. Every episode is a different story so I wouldn't get discouraged by the 1st show.

My favorites are:

Shut up and Dance
Playtest
White Christmas
Hang the DJ
Black Museum
Men Against Fire

San Junipero is very thought provoking too even though I had to watch it 3 or 4 times to really appreciate it.

Great list. Check these episodes out, Fish.

Fish 01-12-2018 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13357159)
Great list. Check these episodes out, Fish.

All right, I'll give it a chance. Thank you guys for the explanation. I didn't necessarily realize that each episode was a completely individual universe/plot. That changes everything.... I'll try again..

NewChief 01-13-2018 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13356405)
I saw NewChief put this series on his watch list so I too watched this episode. My reaction was the EXACT same as yours.
I mean WTF?
Maybe I’ll watch a different ep to see if this one was an outlier.

ROFL

A few posts later I also recommended that people NOT start with that episode. It’s the consensus among fans of the show to recommend newbies start somewhere other than S1E1. It’s a shame that they don’t just reorder the show because a lot of people really dislike the first episode.

Boiled Chicken 01-13-2018 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 13357414)
ROFL

A few posts later I also recommended that people NOT start with that episode. It’s the consensus among fans of the show to recommend newbies start somewhere other than S1E1. It’s a shame that they don’t just reorder the show because a lot of people really dislike the first episode.

Agree. I started a couple of weeks ago with Metalhead, then started watching them in order. However, I enjoyed National Anthem. Not from a perverse manner, but from a perspective of how truly warped this series is. The next two episodes of season one confirmed this program is a mind job.

Rausch 01-13-2018 08:20 AM

Quote:

ROFL

I actually liked that ep. Then again I'm kind of a twisted ****.

I thought the "Dog" episode was probably the weakest but the one set in the desert museum was probably the best. It had that Twilight Zone/Amazing Stories feel to it.

I think it's probably the most consistently good series in the "Twilight Zone" genre of storytelling...

vailpass 01-13-2018 09:17 PM

Quote:

ROFL

God damnit I didn’t read that far! I tend to like a lot of what you recommend so I tried it. Guess I’ll give it another go with a different episode. It’s not that I have a problem with the pig ****ing premise per se,found it amusing,but the story just didn’t click for me.
BTW I still can’t understand a word they say in Peaky Blinders:cuss:

Discuss Thrower 01-13-2018 09:39 PM

Spoiler!

MTG#10 01-14-2018 05:51 PM

I can't believe so many people hate the first episode, I thought it was hilarious

MahiMike 01-14-2018 06:10 PM

I liked the bees episode