ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Retirement (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=314266)

BigRedChief 03-08-2018 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 13455416)
Depressing, totally incorrect, and full of fear mongering. I work in upper management for one of the top 3 construction and agriculture equipment manufacturers in the world. I’m an expert in lean manufacturing and on the front lines of manufacturing robotics and innovation. While it is true that some jobs in manufacturing have and will continue to be replaced by automation, it will be nowhere near the levels he is predicting.

Since I’ve worked on the tech side of some of the most advanced A.I. Projects ever in the USA. Top people from all over the world came to see how we pulled off AI. Way more advanced than you have ever seen as a civilian. I think that’s why most people pay me just to talk to their techs and figure out what’s their best A.I. path forward.

LoneWolf 03-08-2018 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13455786)
Since I’ve worked on the tech side of some of the most advanced A.I. Projects ever in the USA. Top people from all over the world came to see how we pulled off AI. Way more advanced than you have ever seen as a civilian. I think that’s why most people pay me just to talk to their techs and figure out what’s their best A.I. path forward.

ROFL So, in 17 years you’re predicting 50% unemployment due to A.I. advancements? ROFL

King_Chief_Fan 03-08-2018 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13455527)
There is no guarantee that anyone in this thread is alive tomorrow.

There needs to be a balance between now and the future. I’m not suggesting that anyone live beyond their means but obsessing about the future is detrimental to the present.

Enjoy life.

while that is not bad advice, I hope someone has advised the op that he/she needs to talk with a retirement planner, not CP retirement experts:D

They will help with your goal setting so that a plan can be developed to get you where you want to be when retirement comes.
There are several good suggestions listed here, but an expert is needed to advise/guide you.

King_Chief_Fan 03-08-2018 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13455259)
I feel like retirement would suck. My in laws are retired and they are bored out of their minds waiting for us to have kids so they can spoil them.

Idk I feel like I’d get depressed after years of working

that happens a lot....you know what you are retiring from, but do you know what you are retiring to? I have been retired for 4 years and have yet to wish I was working again. Traveling, sports events that grandkids particiate in, golfing, fishing, hanging at at the lake house and volunteer work is more rewarding than work.

Rain Man 03-08-2018 10:10 AM

We shouldn't think about AI eliminating jobs, we should think about it eliminating work. The end game is that we're a society of poets and inventors and creators and people who get great daily exercise, because all of the menial work is done for us. There'll be a transition period that's rough while society makes the transition, but eventually it'll be great for everyone.

DaneMcCloud 03-08-2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan (Post 13456097)
They will help with your goal setting so that a plan can be developed to get you where you want to be when retirement comes.
There are several good suggestions listed here, but an expert is needed to advise/guide you.

I'll never understand why Americans are obsessed with retirement, especially when they're young.

I'm not suggesting that people don't plan for the future but for ****'s Sake, there's no guarantee you'll be here at age 65 or 70 and planning the future at the expense of the present just doesn't make any sense.

Plus, so many Americans experience debilitating diseases prior to or just after retirement, so all of that planning and frugality is often all for naught.

Enjoy your life NOW. Travel NOW, while you're young and healthy. Experience what the world has to offer while all of your faculties are intact.

And ****in' A, DON'T ORDER BBQ IN SAN DIEGO!

Fish tacos, Mexican, IPA's, seafood, gastropub's - not ****ing BBQ.

BucEyedPea 03-08-2018 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13456110)
We shouldn't think about AI eliminating jobs, we should think about it eliminating work. The end game is that we're a society of poets and inventors and creators and people who get great daily exercise, because all of the menial work is done for us. There'll be a transition period that's rough while society makes the transition, but eventually it'll be great for everyone.

Well, that benefits me. I'll have a leg up in experience in a creative profession.

BucEyedPea 03-08-2018 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT (Post 13454357)
So those of you who are blessed with children should make sure to let them know to start saving before the rest of us did! :)

Mine out of college two years, saves constantly. She's already got a good chuck saved and has stocks too. She's a real cheapskate though and she doesn't make big bucks yet either. So far two foreign travel tips for vacation and also writes for a travel company too. It's not that she's obsessed with retirement but as she says, she has "anxiety" on money.

As for me, artists don't retire. That's a death knell.

BigRedChief 03-08-2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13456110)

Correct. It will be a tough transition. There will be lazy shits who don’t want to anything but drugs and play in VR. But, most will want to explore other areas they never considered open to them since all education will be free.

Being free of menial labor and worrying about shelter and food is going to launch the next evolution of humanity.

ModSocks 03-08-2018 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13456230)

LMAO

BucEyedPea 03-08-2018 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13456276)
Correct. It will be a tough transition. There will be lazy shits who don’t want to anything but drugs and play in VR. But, most will want to explore other areas they never considered open to them since all education will be free.

Being free of menial labor and worrying about shelter and food is going to launch the next evolution of humanity.

Yay, communism will arrive.

Bearcat 03-08-2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 13455825)
ROFL So, in 17 years you’re predicting 50% unemployment due to A.I. advancements? ROFL

Google 'AI unemployment' and there are several articles with click bait headlines that have been predicting the same thing for years... and you'll also see a few that actually bring up a lot of valid points about new industries and jobs that don't even exist today (not even related to AI), how it's not some big bang thing that we'll wake up to one day, baby boomer retirement, etc.

That's not to say there isn't the chance of big changes for certain industries, but that's nothing new.

cooper barrett 03-08-2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13456230)
I'll never understand why Americans are obsessed with retirement, especially when they're young.

I'm not suggesting that people don't plan for the future but for ****'s Sake, there's no guarantee you'll be here at age 65 or 70 and planning the future at the expense of the present just doesn't make any sense.

Plus, so many Americans experience debilitating diseases prior to or just after retirement, so all of that planning and frugality is often all for naught.

Enjoy your life NOW. Travel NOW, while you're young and healthy. Experience what the world has to offer while all of your faculties are intact.

Only good think from a San Diego BBQ joint....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mng_tvLBH7Y?rel=0&amp;controls=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

eDave 03-08-2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13456343)
Only good think from a San Diego BBQ joint....

http://kcbbq.net/

DaneMcCloud 03-08-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 13456259)
As for me, artists don't retire. That's a death knell.

Yep. I'll be writing music until the day I can no longer function or die.