ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Welp. Looks like we need a RB. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=319187)

KC Hawks 11-30-2018 08:08 PM

Welp. Looks like we need a RB.

So who looks good in this upcoming draft?

Frosty 11-30-2018 11:58 PM

Myles Gaskin, please.

kccrow 12-01-2018 02:59 AM

Mike Weber out of Ohio State if he declares and Ryquell Armstead of Temple are two of my favorites. I'll add more tomorrow... I'm tired.

kccrow 12-01-2018 02:57 PM

Been pouring through my list of RBs...

So, this list is loaded with Juniors because the senior talent is very non-existent. We'll have to see who ends up declaring but here goes.

1. David Montgomery - Iowa State.
A junior... He's a beast. Absolutely a clone in terms of what you seen from Hunt coming out. Doesn't fumble. Effective as both a runner and receiver. Incredibly balanced and fights through contact. Has the stride to break away in the open field. Really good vision, making alot of chicken salad out of chicken shit.

2. Mike Weber - Ohio State
Also a Junior. Hard runner and good receiver. Will break first contact. Good balance. Excellent open-field ability and can take it to the house. The back OSU relies on when they need the tough yards too.

3. Ryquell Armstead - Temple
Good burst through the hole and good balance but not as much as the two above. Gets yards after contact. Good receiver out of the backfield. Homerun ability.

4. Benny Snell Jr. - Kentucky
A junior with solid vision and good balance and power. Good breakaway stride. He's patient, which is good, but not quite as decisive to get downhill as the 3 I have above him.

5. Jordan Scarlett - Florida
Another Junior. Definitely some legal history with a mary jane arrest as a freshman and the credit card fraud scam involvement but he's a talented player. I like both of Florida's backs (also Lamical Perine) but Scarlett is by far the most talented. He has great burst and power to go with good vision and he's a good receiver. Far better break away speed than Perine and hits the hole much faster.

6. Devin Singletary - Florida Atlantic
Kind of a Maurice Jones-Drew type. Very short and stocky. He's got solid vision, speed, balance, power and agility. I really like his first step burst once he picks the hole. . Certainly size is the biggest concern because the kid can run.

There are alot of complementary backs in this year's class that I don't think you can put in as a feature guy and Andy has traditionally had a feature back. Sure, he dabbles with the receiving back types but he usually puts the bulk of the load on one guy. This is the reason I've excluded some talented players like Bryce Love, Myles Gaskin, and Justice Hill.

wazu 12-01-2018 05:15 PM

Finding this thread somewhat comforting in this hour of need. Thanks for the breakdown, kccrow.

BryanBusby 12-01-2018 07:56 PM

I like Montgomery and Snell a lot.

pugsnotdrugs19 12-02-2018 01:09 PM

So in comparison to previous years, how good is this class?

BryanBusby 12-02-2018 01:40 PM

This class is nothing compared to how deep the last 2 were. Still some good options though.

BryanBusby 12-02-2018 01:45 PM

E: derp

kccrow 12-02-2018 05:24 PM

Agree with Bubsy, this class is nowhere near what it was the past few seasons. It's going to take a bunch of Juniors declaring to make it respectable.

duncan_idaho 12-02-2018 08:27 PM

Couple of guys I like who are not mentioned yet...

KeShawn Vaughn out of Vanderbilt. Good receiver and explosive in the open field. Has pretty good balance. Should be available in 4th or later.

Josh Jacobs out of Alabama. He's the No. 3 guy in that rotation, but he has breakaway speed and great balance. 3rd rounder right now who might combine his way into the 2nd.

kccrow 12-02-2018 08:47 PM

Miles Sanders out of Penn State as well if he declares. Also a Jr but only 1 year starting after sitting behind Barkley.

BryanBusby 12-03-2018 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13929681)
Agree with Bubsy, this class is nowhere near what it was the past few seasons. It's going to take a bunch of Juniors declaring to make it respectable.

I think there's some cool options, it's just more of the last 2 RB classes were just absolutely insane. Super stacked and I remember saying over and over holy wow, this amount of talent is insane.

The bonus for KC on that is the RB demand is super low so they should have some real quality options to go through in the Spring without having to make a big investment. If there's a silver lining in all of the crap situation, that would be it.

pugsnotdrugs19 12-03-2018 02:46 PM

I wouldn’t trump our defensive needs in the draft for RB—but I hope we can snag a guy similar to Hunt. Someone who can catch it well and close out games with some tough running. Any RB is going to face light boxes as long as they’re loaded at receiving positions and Mahomes is QB, so having that hard to tackle back was so nice.

DJ's left nut 12-03-2018 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13933287)
I wouldn’t trump our defensive needs in the draft for RB—but I hope we can snag a guy similar to Hunt. Someone who can catch it well and close out games with some tough running. Any RB is going to face light boxes as long as they’re loaded at receiving positions and Mahomes is QB, so having that hard to tackle back was so nice.

I'd get back to looking for what we were looking for the last time we were RB shopping and ended up with Hunt.

Gimme an underutilized guy with some wiggle, good first step and a stout frame. At the time I was heavy on the Kamara bandwagon and now I think I like Jordan Scarlett the most out of the current crop.

The character issues are the trouble here. He might just be a shithead and if so that won't fly. If not, Rodney Anderson from OU is talented as hell but the knee injury is worrisome (pretty sure he has another major injury in the last year or two as well).

Higdon out of Michigan might be a 3rd day find. Weber from Ohio State maybe goes before I'd want him. I like Jacobs from 'Bama but he may just stay in to boost his stock presuming he'd start next year. If not, there's some serious talent there. There's a small school kid name Hills out of Slippery Rock; he'll be a SPARQ champion, IMO. It's hard to grade a kids vision with that kind of competition, though. If he doesn't have any, he'll end up one of those Knile Davis, big, fast and shitty types.

It's not a good year to need a RB, IMO. Fortunately the depth of the last 2 classes may keep demand down but I don't see a lot of heavy hitters here and the mid-late round choices are going to be crapshoots and complementary backs.

UChieffyBugger 12-03-2018 06:00 PM

The fact is folks like to talk about "RB's are a dime a dozen and you can find a decent one In the mid rounds", but really the facts say otherwise. Look at the best RB's In the game right now.

Gurley= first round pick
Elliot= first round pick
Gordon= first round pick
Barcley= first round pick
Ingram= first round pick
McCaffrey= first round pick
Fournette= first round pick

Etc etc, so the VAST majority of the best backs have been picked In the first round. Granted some slip through the net like Bell, Hunt and Kamara, but if we really want to make sure our offense is great for many more seasons to come, then I'd be inclined to try and get the very best back we can. I mean even the Pats got Michel In the first round last season, The Seahawks got Penny In the first round also.

So imo if we're gonna get a RB, then we should try and get a potential transformative one. One who could be even better than Kareem moving forward. Because tbh could you imagine a Gurley, Gordan or Mccaffrey In this offense? It would be insane. Next draft could be perfect too as I don't see many teams needing to draft a back as most already have their guy and others already drafted one last year. So we should really have a good shot at the likes of Bryce Love and Damien Harris, two guys who look pretty decent to me.

pugsnotdrugs19 12-03-2018 06:13 PM

I don’t like the idea of investing in the RB position super high for any team, let alone a team that has the best quarterback in football at 23 years old.

Just look at the list of running backs who have won the last several Super Bowls. They just aren’t a necessary commodity to winning a title. Most teams go the committee route and it makes sense because it’s too easy to lock in on those stud backs and over use them. Teams key on them and offenses use them to a fault. (See the Chiefs 2015 before and after Jamaal)

I don’t mind using a 2nd round pick on one or anything, but the truth is that the drop off from even a stud to 2nd tier guy isn’t enough to warrant major investments. Look at the Cowboys right now. They have a freaking stud RB and it doesn’t even matter much because their QB sucks ass.

UChieffyBugger 12-03-2018 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13933868)
I don’t like the idea of investing in the RB position super high for any team, let alone a team that has the best quarterback in football at 23 years old.

Just look at the list of running backs who have won the last several Super Bowls. They just aren’t a necessary commodity to winning a title. Most teams go the committee route and it makes sense because it’s too easy to lock in on those stud backs and over use them. Teams key on them and offenses use them to a fault. (See the Chiefs 2015 before and after Jamaal)

I don’t mind using a 2nd round pick on one or anything, but the truth is that the drop off from even a stud to 2nd tier guy isn’t enough to warrant major investments. Look at the Cowboys right now. They have a freaking stud RB and it doesn’t even matter much because their QB sucks ass.

We'll most likely be picking late 20s unless we trade up. The facts are the facts, the majority of the very best RB's are taken in the first round. If you want to pick one In the later rounds in the hope of striking gold again then fine, but I'd rather get more of a certain thing than gamble again. Major defensive talents are not likely to be there when we pick In the first round anyway so why not try and get a stud RB to ensure that our strength gets stronger?

BryanBusby 12-03-2018 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 13933822)
Gurley= first round pick
Elliot= first round pick
Gordon= first round pick
Ingram= first round pick

The Jaguars will be drafting in the top 5. I don't know who Barcley is, but I'm assuming you mean Barkley and the Giants will absolutely regret taking him over a QB.

Ingram is just a piece in a RB by committee and honestly Melvin Gordon hasn't been anything special. McCaffrey is running his mind off, and the Panthers are about to miss the playoffs again. They probably really wish they had taken Lattimore or Humphrey right now.

EE and Gurley have worked out, so that's 2 out of 7. gg

kccrow 12-03-2018 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 13933883)
We'll most likely be picking late 20s unless we trade up. The facts are the facts, the majority of the very best RB's are taken in the first round. If you want to pick one In the later rounds in the hope of striking gold again then fine, but I'd rather get more of a certain thing than gamble again. Major defensive talents are not likely to be there when we pick In the first round anyway so why not try and get a stud RB to ensure that our strength gets stronger?

Silly. There's going to be some very good defensive lineman available at the end of the first simply due to the sheer volume of quality players coming out this year. There's even a few I'd spend a pick to move up for. You'll get a solid RB end of 2nd or end of 3rd this year because there isn't a back that'll likely go in round 1.

pugsnotdrugs19 12-03-2018 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13933917)
Silly. There's going to be some very good defensive lineman available at the end of the first simply due to the sheer volume of quality players coming out this year. There's even a few I'd spend a pick to move up for. You'll get a solid RB end of 2nd or end of 3rd this year because there isn't a back that'll likely go in round 1.

Right, and again beyond all this, it’s clear you just don’t need a superstar back to build a great team these days. For many teams they are the focal point of an offense and have been for the Chiefs for several years now, but when you’ve got the QB thing figured out, it’s a luxury position. I certainly don’t want to trot trash out there, but we won’t be and I don’t even think we are right now.

Buehler445 12-03-2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 13933822)
The fact is folks like to talk about "RB's are a dime a dozen and you can find a decent one In the mid rounds", but really the facts say otherwise. Look at the best RB's In the game right now.

Gurley= first round pick
Elliot= first round pick
Gordon= first round pick
Ingram= first round pick

Etc etc, so the VAST majority of the best backs have been picked In the first round. Granted some slip through the net like Bell, Hunt and Kamara, but if we really want to make sure our offense is great for many more seasons to come, then I'd be inclined to try and get the very best back we can. I mean even the Pats got Michel In the first round last season, The Seahawks got Penny In the first round also.

So imo if we're gonna get a RB, then we should try and get a potential transformative one. One who could be even better than Kareem moving forward. Because tbh could you imagine a Gurley, Gordan or Mccaffrey In this offense? It would be insane. Next draft could be perfect too as I don't see many teams needing to draft a back as most already have their guy and others already drafted one last year. So we should really have a good shot at the likes of Bryce Love and Damien Harris, two guys who look pretty decent to me.

Yeah. I’m out on that deal.

I swear to ****ing God I will quit football if the Chiefs have the best QB in modern football and decide NOPE. BUILD AROUND THE RUN GAME.

Done with football. Forever.

CoMoChief 12-04-2018 12:03 AM

The thing is...today's game is a QB/passing game, and Mahomes/Chiefs are taking this new offensive trend literally and then some. After seeing the Chiefs in 2018, teams are going to start loading up their offense with as many weapons as possible. Not saying teams don't already try to do that, but teams see what Mahomes, Hunt, Watkins, Hill and Kelce can do to them. Too many really good players to deal with and plan for, and teams get crosseyed and overwhelmed. Reid doesn't run the ball. The RB in this offense is an extension of the passing game. I know people like Ware, but he's not the back for this offense. Hunt was perfect for this offense, as we've seen..which makes this entire issue a big kick in the balls. Need someone more elusive, someone who doesn't run so upright and has better hands.

The 1st rd RB isn't as valuable as it once was. They're the most beat up, worn down players on the field with the shortest careers. No need to invest a lot of money and/or high draft picks for that position. RB's grow on trees. The difference in production from a 1st rd pick vs a late rd or UDFA is not much, at least on this team it wouldn't with the amount of talent on offense.

Team needs defense bad. I hope the Chiefs can resign Jones, sign a couple defensive guys in FA and use their 1st 3 picks all on defense. The good thing is, the defense is so bad, it's not going to matter what defensive players they select in the draft because they need help at every position, so they should be able to draft BPA. Then maybe some backup fatties on the OL in the later rds.

BryanBusby 12-04-2018 01:28 PM

"The difference in production from a 1st rd pick vs a late rd or UDFA is not much"

LMAO

kccrow 12-04-2018 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 13934539)
The difference in production from a 1st rd pick vs a late rd or UDFA is not much, at least on this team it wouldn't with the amount of talent on offense.

It actually kind of is. Now, going the UDFA route has some merit. If you want a good back otherwise then you're at least spending a day 2 pick.

Only really going to look at rushing yards (put the cutoff at 400) but there are backs that contribute more in the passing game than rushing game and plenty that are good at both. What you'll see in looking at the stats is that the guys that tend to be high on the list in rushing yards are also higher on the list in receiving yards by running backs, especially in the top 15.

1. T. Gurley (1,175 yds 15 TD)- Round 1/10
2. E. Elliott (1,150 yds 6 TD)- Round 1/4
3. S. Barkley (954 yd 8 TD)- Round 1/2
4. P. Lindsay (937 yds 8 TD) - UDFA
5. J. Conner (909 yds 12 TD) - Round 3/105
6. L. Miller (876 yds 3 TD) - Round 4/97
7. C. McCaffrey (863 yds 5 TD) - Round 1/8
8. A. Peterson (856 yds 7 TD) - Round 1/7
9. K. Hunt (824 yds 7 TD) - Round 3/86
10. M. Gordon (802 yds 9 TD) - Round 1/15
11. D. Johnson (761 yds 6 TD) - Round 3/86
12. J. Mixon (755 yds 5 TD) - Round 2/48
13. M. Brieda (744 yds 3 TD) - UDFA
14. A. Kamara (742 yds 11 TD) - Round 3/67
15. C. Carson (704 yds 4 TD) - Round 7/249
16. N. Chubb (694 yds 7 TD) - Round 2/35
17. I. Crowell (680 yds 6 TD) - UDFA
18. S. Michel (649 yds 5 TD) - Round 1/31
19. A. Jones (642 yds 7 TD) - Round 5/182
20. K. Johnson (641 yds 3 TD) - Round 2/43
21. P. Barber (635 yds 4 TD) - UDFA
22. F. Gore (616 yds 0 TD) - Round 3/65
23. J. Howard (612 yds 5 TD) - Round 5/150
24. M. Mack (583 yds 4 TD) - Round 4/143
25. T. Coleman (514 yds 2 TD) - Round 3/73
26. L. McCoy (478 yds 2 TD) - Round 2/53
27. D. Henry (474 yds 5 TD) - Round 2/45
28. M. Ingram (467 yds 4 TD) - Round 1/28
29. L. Murray (466 yds 5 TD) - Round 6/181
30. D. Lewis (464 yds 1 TD) - Round 5/149
31. A. Blue (446 yds 1 TD) - Round 6/181
32. D. Martin (445 yds 2 TD) - Round 1/31
33. K. Drake (439 yds 4 TD) - Round 3/73
34. A. Ekeler (430 yds 1 TD) - UDFA
35. A. Collins (411 yds 7 TD)- Round 5/171
36. T. Yeldon (401 yds 1 TD) - Round 2/36

Round 1 - 9 (25.0%)
Round 2 - 6 (16.7%)
Round 3 - 7 (19.4%)
Round 4 - 2 (5.6%)
Round 5 - 4 (11.1%)
Round 6 - 2 (5.6%)
Round 7 - 1 (2.8%)
UDFA - 5 (13.9%)

22/36 RBs (61.1%) with 400 or more yards so far are Day 2 or better picks.
15/23 RBs (65.2%) with 600 or more yards so far are Day 2 or better picks.

DJ's left nut 12-04-2018 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13935572)
It actually kind of is. Now, going the UDFA route has some merit. If you want a good back otherwise then you're at least spending a day 2 pick.

Only really going to look at rushing yards (put the cutoff at 400) but there are backs that contribute more in the passing game than rushing game and plenty that are good at both. What you'll see in looking at the stats is that the guys that tend to be high on the list in rushing yards are also higher on the list in receiving yards by running backs, especially in the top 15.

22/36 RBs (61.1%) with 400 or more yards so far are Day 2 or better picks.
15/23 RBs (65.2%) with 600 or more yards so far are Day 2 or better picks.

And the 600 yard mark doesn't mean much; Jordan Howard made that cut and that dude has been trash this year. Put it at 700, roll Chubb in there as he's really just been a backup for half the year and you end up at 75% of the RBs (12/16) have been taken in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounds.

I do think there's something to be said, however, for targeting a SPARQ champion in this system. I really liked Breida coming out for exactly that reason; dude's attributes jumped off the screen.

Now you may end up with a guy who's not a polished 'pure' runner doing that, but the way Reid uses schemes to get his guys into space does a lot of the heavy lifting there. You don't need to have vision as good as Hunts to succeed in this system if you're able to identify the hole and explode into it. Know this system and be a powerful athlete and you'll probably be somewhat useful.

If the draft doesn't come together and you're left taking someone like Wes Hills in the 5th....eh, that's not the end of the world.

DJ's left nut 12-04-2018 03:57 PM

What about Ty Johnson? That's another 'Kamara candidate' IMO. Very much an underutilized guy at Maryland due to them having a guy who's probably just a better all-purpose back than him (or at the very least a higher pedigree guy). McFarland would keep a lot of really good backs on the bench.

Johnson isn't a big back but he isn't slight either. He's compact and strong - doesn't run with the kind of tenacity Hunt does but really, who does?

If you're trying to replace Hunt, you're looking at a different class because Hunt turned out to have 1st round ability and I'm just not sure we'll find that in this class. Maybe Harris, maybe Montgomery and a healthy Anderson would qualify as well. But I'm not seeing a guy in this draft that I'd say "yeah, there's a 1st round back" without hesitation.

I think Johnson is one of those 'absence of evidence is not evidence of absence' kind of finds. I don't see a reason why he CAN'T be a good RB; the tools are all there. There might be some vision questions but he's a definite potential HR hitter. He'd need some coaching up (dance less; hit the hole sooner/harder) but that's what we're gonna need to do if we're hoping to keep the investment in the position fairly reasonable.

kccrow 12-04-2018 03:57 PM

Agree DJ. The higher the yards you go the more the percentage goes up (800 yds is 80%) etc. Good backs come along every year but the best ones require a high pick, generally.

As for SPARQ champ, I just don't see it with Wes Hills but maybe he'll test better than what I see on the field.

Keep an eye on Maryland's Ty Johnson. He's got some wheels.

DJ's left nut 12-04-2018 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13935603)
Agree DJ. The higher the yards you go the more the percentage goes up (800 yds is 80%) etc. Good backs come along every year but the best ones require a high pick, generally.

As for SPARQ champ, I just don't see it with Wes Hills but maybe he'll test better than what I see on the field.

Keep an eye on Maryland's Ty Johnson. He's got some wheels.

ha!

Beat ya by about 30 seconds.

I'm thinking he might be my guy as well. I think he'll stay off some radars and Andy can put him to good use.

I agree with you on Hills; I'm just going off some admittedly dated scouting reports from his days in Delaware. He doesn't look as fast as people say he is. The reports are that he can move and at his size, you'll see some nice speed scores if that's the case.

pugsnotdrugs19 12-04-2018 04:12 PM

I don't think we need to be bending over backwards to find another elite back. If we stumble onto one again (like Hunt, Charles), then so be it. Awesome. But I think in the big picture, its far down on the list of needs for this team going forward.

If we want to build a dynasty under Mahomes and Reid, the best course of action is to get that damn defense to a respectable level and do it ASAP. The weapons to be an elite offense are already in place and not going anywhere soon.

But my thinking here is that Mahomes, while he may never have another 50+ season again like he may have this year, is probably always going to get the absolute most out of the guys around him and he will produce numbers to justify that. Just load up that defense and take some pressure off of the kid.

kccrow 12-04-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13935610)
ha!

Beat ya by about 30 seconds.

I'm thinking he might be my guy as well. I think he'll stay off some radars and Andy can put him to good use.

I agree with you on Hills; I'm just going off some admittedly dated scouting reports from his days in Delaware. He doesn't look as fast as people say he is. The reports are that he can move and at his size, you'll see some nice speed scores if that's the case.

LOL nice!

I think Reid can work a committee if he has the right pieces. The thing I also like about Johnson is he can return kicks really well and he's solid as a pass catcher. He's going to probably run in the mid-4.4's and test out similar to LeSean McCoy. A 7.6 ypc career average in the Big 10 is nothing to sneeze at.

BryanBusby 12-04-2018 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13935622)
I don't think we need to be bending over backwards to find another elite back. If we stumble onto one again (like Hunt, Charles), then so be it. Awesome. But I think in the big picture, its far down on the list of needs for this team going forward.

If we want to build a dynasty under Mahomes and Reid, the best course of action is to get that damn defense to a respectable level and do it ASAP. The weapons to be an elite offense are already in place and not going anywhere soon.

But my thinking here is that Mahomes, while he may never have another 50+ season again like he may have this year, is probably always going to get the absolute most out of the guys around him and he will produce numbers to justify that. Just load up that defense and take some pressure off of the kid.

I don't think they're going to be lighting their pants on fire to shoot up the boards for a rare generation tailback, but I'd bet he would gladly spend a Day 2 pick to get a feature piece kind of guy like he had with Kareem Hunt or a LeSean McCoy.

pugsnotdrugs19 12-04-2018 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13935719)
I don't think they're going to be lighting their pants on fire to shoot up the boards for a rare generation tailback, but I'd bet he would gladly spend a Day 2 pick to get a feature piece kind of guy like he had with Kareem Hunt or a LeSean McCoy.

I agree, completely fine with using a day two pick.

But no need to use a first, and no need to spend big bucks on one in FA.

pugsnotdrugs19 12-04-2018 06:05 PM

Here’s something I saw floated out there today that’s interesting. Tevin Coleman. Coached by Deland McCollough in college at Indiana, about to be a FA.

Obviously wouldn’t want to spend much but if he can be had for cheap, that’d be a great add IMO. Veach always talks about attacking pockets in the draft/FA. If the RB draft class isn’t strong, it might be a good idea. Again, needs to be cheap.

kccrow 12-04-2018 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13935845)
Here’s something I saw floated out there today that’s interesting. Tevin Coleman. Coaches by Deland McCollough in college at Indiana, about to be a FA.

Obviously wouldn’t want to spend much but if he can be has for cheap, that’d be a great add IMO. Veach always talks about attacking pockets in the draft/FA. If the RB draft class isn’t strong, it might be a good idea. Again, needs to be cheap.

RB class will probably be way stronger than the CB class, which really looks meh after the first few and even they aren't that great compared to past classes. Honestly, I'd rather hit FA for a couple vet CBs and draft a RB on day 2 than vice versa.

UChieffyBugger 12-04-2018 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13935622)

I think this is naive thinking tbh. Do you think DC's are just gonna sit by and be blind to what Mahomes and Reid are doing? Next season they will be gunning hard for Pat, so I believe we MUST make sure he has as many weapons as possible just like this season. Getting a good back and improving our running game should be a priority along with improving the defense imo. Having a running game that can wear down a defense and control the clock would bring a totally different dimension to this offense.

UChieffyBugger 12-04-2018 06:42 PM

Anyway, here's a few names I'd like to talk about.

Darrell Henderson= Reminds me of Hunt a little but he appears to be much faster than Kareem.

Justice Hill= Looks very shifty indeed

Benny Snell JR= has broken his school's records, has been extremely productive and is one of the youngest backs around right now. Imo he could be the one to watch.

LJ Scott= has been hailed as the "next Le'Veon Bell"

Out of all the names mentioned Bryce, Harris, Snell, Montgomery and Henderson intrigue me the most right now.

pugsnotdrugs19 12-04-2018 07:17 PM

One thing I think all can agree on—Andy Reid can take probably numerous backs even from a weaker perceived class and get the most out of them. Wbf.

DJ's left nut 12-04-2018 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 13935931)
Anyway, here's a few names I'd like to talk about.

Darrell Henderson= Reminds me of Hunt a little but he appears to be much faster than Kareem.

Justice Hill= Looks very shifty indeed

Benny Snell JR= has broken his school's records, has been extremely productive and is one of the youngest backs around right now. Imo he could be the one to watch.

LJ Scott= has been hailed as the "next Le'Veon Bell"

Out of all the names mentioned Bryce, Harris, Snell, Montgomery and Henderson intrigue me the most right now.

Anyone that has EVER called LJ Scott "the next Le'Veon Bell" is a friggen idiot.

Scott is a poor man's Ware. His acceleration is ass and his top gear is 30 yards absent a complete defensive collapse.

Snell is too slow, Hill is too small.

Wouldn't dismiss Darrell Henderson out of hand though.

Chiefshrink 12-04-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Here’s something I saw floated out there today that’s interesting. Tevin Coleman. Coaches by Deland McCollough in college at Indiana, about to be a FA.

Obviously wouldn’t want to spend much but if he can be has for cheap, that’d be a great add IMO. Veach always talks about attacking pockets in the draft/FA. If the RB draft class isn’t strong, it might be a good idea. Again, needs to be cheap.

I agree. He is great out of the backfield and definitely fits our offensive scheme.

BryanBusby 12-04-2018 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13935802)
I agree, completely fine with using a day two pick.

But no need to use a first, and no need to spend big bucks on one in FA.

Well I would say a lot of that will depend on where the Chiefs actually draft in the first round and what's available at the slot. If they are drafting 30 or 32 and it's a choice between a back or a massive reach, I wouldn't rule it out.

UChieffyBugger 12-04-2018 09:08 PM

If Bryce Love or Damien Harris are there at 28-32, then unless we trade up for some stud defender we'd be stupid not to take one of them imo. Because im inclined to believe that most of the defensive studs will be off of the table by then. Especially the corners and safeties.

pugsnotdrugs19 12-04-2018 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 13936148)
If Bryce Love or Damien Harris are there at 28-32, then unless we trade up for some stud defender we'd be stupid not to take one of them imo. Because im inclined to believe that most of the defensive studs will be off of the table by then. Especially the corners and safeties.

If you don’t prioritize strengthening this weak defense in the draft, it’s going to remain very weak for a long time.

There will be good defensive players available. Probably DL, but they’ll be there. We need to replace Bailey anyways as he heads into FA.

I think Veach will trade up if there’s someone he really wants.

RunKC 12-04-2018 11:15 PM

Is this a good class? Hope there are some athletic guys in the mid rds

BryanBusby 12-04-2018 11:49 PM

I don't think I'd take Love before Day 3.

bevischief 12-05-2018 12:52 AM

This team doesn't need a high round running back anymore.

Chargem 12-05-2018 01:53 AM

Improving the line in the draft would probably do more for the run game than taking a 1st round RB.

tmax63 12-05-2018 09:42 AM

If the Chiefs don't spend their 1st 3 picks on defense then they're crazier than I am. As many have said before, get them an average defense and no one can keep up with the offense as it stands right now without KH. If they don't get some better talent at the CB/S spots they will continue to give up 35 points a game. I don't expect Berry to be the savior everyone is hoping for. He hasn't played for almost 2 seasons. I think he'll look like DJ his last year or so, like he's running in sand. I really liked EB and it's sad that his career has taken this curve but to expect him to come back like his old self is totally unrealistic.

DJ's left nut 12-05-2018 10:16 AM

Quote:

Here’s something I saw floated out there today that’s interesting. Tevin Coleman. Coached by Deland McCollough in college at Indiana, about to be a FA.

Obviously wouldn’t want to spend much but if he can be had for cheap, that’d be a great add IMO. Veach always talks about attacking pockets in the draft/FA. If the RB draft class isn’t strong, it might be a good idea. Again, needs to be cheap.

If I'm taking on a veteran free agent it's Mark Ingram.

Coming out of college he was too heavy and slow; just didn't look like he was in very good shape. In the last couple of years he's completely remade his body and he looks damn quick now. He's not quite Kamara in that regard but it's closer than ever. He's still willing to put his nose in there and take on contact as well.

The question is how much his role will suppress his value. Is there a chance that you can get him for something like 2/$12? It doesn't seem likely given Jerick McKinnon's deal and I don't think McKinnon is as good as Ingram. And even if you can get him for 2/$12, should you? That's money that's just spent now and can't go to extensions for guys in-house. If he costs at/above what McKinnon costs, I'm out. But if his market doesn't come together, I'd make sure his agent knew I was interested at the right figure...probably.

I think Coleman's in that squishy middle in that he's going to cost real money but still not be a guy I'd be confident in as an every down back. I think I'd just take one of the slew of complementary backs available in the draft and be happy paying him the league minimum before I'd pay Coleman middle-class RB money.

I just like what I've seen from Ingram; he's really developed nicely and does a lot of things that would work extremely well here.

O.city 12-05-2018 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13936713)
If I'm taking on a veteran free agent it's Mark Ingram.

Coming out of college he was too heavy and slow; just didn't look like he was in very good shape. In the last couple of years he's completely remade his body and he looks damn quick now. He's not quite Kamara in that regard but it's closer than ever. He's still willing to put his nose in there and take on contact as well.

The question is how much his role will suppress his value. Is there a chance that you can get him for something like 2/$12? It doesn't seem likely given Jerick McKinnon's deal and I don't think McKinnon is as good as Ingram. And even if you can get him for 2/$12, should you? That's money that's just spent now and can't go to extensions for guys in-house. If he costs at/above what McKinnon costs, I'm out. But if his market doesn't come together, I'd make sure his agent knew I was interested at the right figure...probably.

I think Coleman's in that squishy middle in that he's going to cost real money but still not be a guy I'd be confident in as an every down back. I think I'd just take one of the slew of complementary backs available in the draft and be happy paying him the league minimum before I'd pay Coleman middle-class RB money.

I just like what I've seen from Ingram; he's really developed nicely and does a lot of things that would work extremely well here.

How nice would it be to have Kamara sitting there in KC now?

Yeah, obviously with how the Hunt thing played out but even at the time, I think you were there as well as myself on preferring Kamara.

Hunt was a nice fit and we overlooked him a lot during the draft and stuff, but I still don't know that he's just irreplaceable.

DJ's left nut 12-05-2018 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13936729)
How nice would it be to have Kamara sitting there in KC now?

Yeah, obviously with how the Hunt thing played out but even at the time, I think you were there as well as myself on preferring Kamara.

Hunt was a nice fit and we overlooked him a lot during the draft and stuff, but I still don't know that he's just irreplaceable.

Kamara was my guy, yes. I was at a Mexican joint having dinner during the draft when our pick came up and I was just dumbfounded that we passed on him in the 2nd. It was that "oh my God, DJ's gonna fall to us" kind of anticipation as our pick came up.

And then we took ****ing K-Pass. I was...irritable.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-05-2018 02:12 PM

I'm going to bet you were at Las Margaritas.

DJ's left nut 12-05-2018 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13937218)
I'm going to bet you were at Las Margaritas.

La Terraza. It was the night I discovered their little mini quesadillas on a corn tortilla; part of one of their 'jumbo combo' style of meals. Never had quesadillas on a corn tortilla but these are deep fried (I think) and damn tasty.

Not a member of the cult of Las Margs. I know some folks that won't go anywhere but there - those people are wrong.

Gimme Agave or La Terraza every time. When we lived on the north side of town the owner of Agave on Rangeline knew us by name; ate there at least once a week.

O.city 12-05-2018 02:50 PM

G&D steaks right by Best buy still there?

We used to come up for the state basketball tourney every year and Dad and his buddies had to eat there like 3 times in 3 days.

DJ's left nut 12-05-2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13937270)
G&D steaks right by Best buy still there?

We used to come up for the state basketball tourney every year and Dad and his buddies had to eat there like 3 times in 3 days.

Ate there on Monday. Still a shockingly solid steak for what looks like a strip mall burger joint. It's not exactly a place to go for a cheap, good steak anymore - the big ribeye is $18 with a potato and a shitty salad - but it's a solid place to take twin infants if you want a good steak and your wife wants a Gyro (or if you just want a Gyro).

Good place; that family has owned it since it opened and I like kicking them some business whenever I think about it.

fairladyZ 12-05-2018 02:58 PM

I'm throwing my hat in there on Alexander Mattison from bsu. He runs like Kareem, looks like Kareem, will hop people like Kareem and may be a little faster. And he should be available in the 3rd round like Kareem, we might have to trade out of 1 of our high 2nds back into the 3rd and pick up a late round pick for him but I think he is going to be a beast in the NFL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjsiKiFkdWo

O.city 12-05-2018 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13937283)
Ate there on Monday. Still a shockingly solid steak for what looks like a strip mall burger joint. It's not exactly a place to go for a cheap, good steak anymore - the big ribeye is $18 with a potato and a shitty salad - but it's a solid place to take twin infants if you want a good steak and your wife wants a Gyro (or if you just want a Gyro).

Good place; that family has owned it since it opened and I like kicking them some business whenever I think about it.

Yeah, I think we ate there 3 times one day when I was in high school. It was always just a damn solid place. Good to know it's still there. That's still not a bad price for a steak though. Hell, my 2 boys eat like small men so they order off the main menu most of the time.

I can't remember the last steak I ate where it didn't cost me over 100 bucks.

UChieffyBugger 12-05-2018 06:08 PM

So I've been doing my research over the last couple of days and this seems to be the notion formed by some "draft experts"

1. Rodney Anderson would be the clear number one if he wasn't so injury prone

2. Bryce Love's stock has fallen due to a subpar season

3. Damien Harris is not a three-down back

4. Benny Snell's stats are amazing but much may depend on his 40 time

5. Darrell Henderson's stock is rising

6. David Montgomery could be the first one taken off the board

It's really gonna be interesting to see how Veach and co play this out. On one hand some folks like Kent Swanson are naively saying "the running back position doesn't matter and we can get someone on the third day". Whereas I think If we want a quality back we're gonna have to target one sooner than that.

Another player I think is well worth looking at is Jordan Scarlett. He looks a little like Charles to me. He's had off-field problems in the past but his skills and traits are very impressive imo.

UChieffyBugger 12-05-2018 06:09 PM

What does everyone think of the local boy Alex Barnes from K state? Any good?

kccrow 12-05-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairladyZ (Post 13937284)
I'm throwing my hat in there on Alexander Mattison from bsu. He runs like Kareem, looks like Kareem, will hop people like Kareem and may be a little faster. And he should be available in the 3rd round like Kareem, we might have to trade out of 1 of our high 2nds back into the 3rd and pick up a late round pick for him but I think he is going to be a beast in the NFL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjsiKiFkdWo

Excellent. Forgot all about him. Definitely in the top 5 guys at the position if he declares.

O.city 12-06-2018 09:22 AM

I would sign Jaylen Richard in the offseason and make him the feature back in Andy's scheme and wreck souls.

Seriously, I think that dude would be perfect.

The Franchise 12-06-2018 11:20 AM

Coleman?

Quote:

There’s currently one player among the 2019 free agent class that has a significant connection to the Chiefs and is a strong possibility for the team. That player is Tevin Coleman, currently of the Atlanta Falcons.

Coleman was drafted by the Falcons in the third round of the 2015 NFL Draft out of the University of Indiana. He was coming off his best season ever with 270 attempts, 2,036 rushing yards, and 15 touchdowns. While he was at Indiana, he was mentored by his running backs coach, a man by the name of Deland McCullough.

Does that name sound familiar? Well it should, because McCullough is currently the running backs coach for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Coleman bought into coach McCullough’s system at Indiana and he reaped the rewards to the tune of being No. 2 in rushing yards in college football during the 2014 season (just a few hundred yards behind Melvin Gordon). He also finished that season avearging 7.5 yards per carry, just .5 behind former Chiefs running back Kareem Hunt.

“Tevin is a superb athlete, an all-around athlete. I mean you’re talking about a kid who was recruited not only as a running back, but as a corner by a Big 10 school, and as a receiver,” McCullough explained of Coleman in an interview at his pro day.

Buehler445 12-06-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 13938603)
Coleman?

I’d love Coleman but I think he’s going to get more money than I’d be willing to pay.

The Franchise 12-06-2018 11:39 AM

What's too much money?

Dion Lewis got basically 4 years $20 million.

O.city 12-06-2018 12:05 PM

Guys, I feel like you bypassed my Richard post to hastily.

Seriously, that dude could be had for not a whole lot if the Raiders let him go and he'd be absolutely perfect in this offense.

Buehler445 12-06-2018 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 13938671)
What's too much money?

Dion Lewis got basically 4 years $20 million.

I mean, I don't know. I probably wouldn't throw a fit at 4/20, but that's 10X Hunts salary. And that's not necessarily a reasonable expectation, but it's hard (for me) to divorce myself from those numbers.

Buehler445 12-06-2018 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13938751)
Guys, I feel like you bypassed my Richard post to hastily.

Seriously, that dude could be had for not a whole lot if the Raiders let him go and he'd be absolutely perfect in this offense.

I'd agree with that. I just don't want to plow a ****load of resources into him. But yeah, looks like he moves well in space.

duncan_idaho 12-06-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13937283)

Wait, twins? You, too?

Congrats. It’s a crazy ride, man.

O.city 12-06-2018 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13938795)
I'd agree with that. I just don't want to plow a ****load of resources into him. But yeah, looks like he moves well in space.

I'd bet you could get him for like, 3/12 with 8 guaranteed

Buehler445 12-06-2018 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13938918)
I'd bet you could get him for like, 3/12 with 8 guaranteed

I’d be down for that. As long as he quits fumbling :D

BryanBusby 12-06-2018 02:38 PM

God I don't know how you guys deal with twins. One toddler makes me want to drink.

The Franchise 12-06-2018 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13938911)
Wait, twins? You, too?

Me three. It's crazy how different mine are from each other.

DJ's left nut 12-07-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13938911)
Wait, twins? You, too?

Obliged sir.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 13939195)
Me three. It's crazy how different mine are from each other.

I have a 4 year old daughter as well.

The girl twin is similar to her in a lot of ways but only to a point. She's weirdly thoughtful (I swear you cn see her sitting around thinking sometimes) and very type A - won't do anything until she's positive she can do it right. It's the damnedest thing. She wouldn't crawl until she could just...crawl. None of this army crawling or inchworm shit. She'd get down for a bit, decide she didn't like the view, sit back up. The mongoloid boy, meanwhile, is scooting all over the place and taking her stuff and knocking her over. And then one day she was just gone across the room at full throat. She was more mobile than he was within 48 hours of deciding she wanted to be mobile. She wouldn't feed herself until she could do a full pincher grip - she refused to do the smash and grab thing. Now the boy has a 2nd meal under his chair while she just sits there and can pick individual grains of rice up. She doesn't like to pull up on things because she can't cruise yet - but the moment she can cruise, she'll do it I'm sure. And she'll probably just skip the toddling phase and go from crawling to running marathons. She's just weird and manipulative. I worry that she's smarter than he all of us.

That mother!@#$ing boy, OTOH...{sigh}. He's the first to try everything and he just goddamn sucks at it forever. He's reckless and I'm pretty sure he's stupid. He climbs on everything, pulls on everything, hurls things across the room, gets into everything - the boy is a wrecking ball. But he's happier than a pig in shit all the time and thinks everything is just the funniest thing in the world.

I was not prepared for the boy. I'm probably going to kill him. Or more accurately just let him kill himself.

And the funniest part is that the two of them don't even look like distant cousins and neither of them look like the oldest. They're all three just a mis-mash of component features that we can generally find on their mother or I. Except for the blue eyes - nearest we can tell is that my mom has 'em but mine are brown, hers are green and nothing else about that lummox having blue eyes makes sense.

Twins are weird.

The Franchise 12-07-2018 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13941623)
Obliged sir.

The girl twin is similar to her in a lot of ways but only to a point. She's weirdly thoughtful (I swear you cn see her sitting around thinking sometimes) and very type A - won't do anything until she's positive she can do it right. It's the damnedest thing. She wouldn't crawl until she could just...crawl. None of this army crawling or inchworm shit. She'd get down for a bit, decide she didn't like the view, sit back up. The mongoloid boy, meanwhile, is scooting all over the place and taking her stuff and knocking her over. And then one day she was just gone across the room at full throat. She was more mobile than he was within 48 hours of deciding she wanted to be mobile. She wouldn't feed herself until she could do a full pincher grip - she refused to do the smash and grab thing. Now the boy has a 2nd meal under his chair while she just sits there and can pick individual grains of rice up. She doesn't like to pull up on things because she can't cruise yet - but the moment she can cruise, she'll do it I'm sure. And she'll probably just skip the toddling phase and go from crawling to running marathons. She's just weird and manipulative. I worry that she's smarter than he all of us.

That mother!@#$ing boy, OTOH...{sigh}. He's the first to try everything and he just goddamn sucks at it forever. He's reckless and I'm pretty sure he's stupid. He climbs on everything, pulls on everything, hurls things across the room, gets into everything - the boy is a wrecking ball. But he's happier than a pig in shit all the time and thinks everything is just the funniest thing in the world.

I was not prepared for the boy. I'm probably going to kill him. Or more accurately just let him kill himself.

And the funniest part is that the two of them don't even look like distant cousins and neither of them look like the oldest. They're all three just a mis-mash of component features that we can generally find on their mother or I. Except for the blue eyes - nearest we can tell is that my mom has 'em but mine are brown, hers are green and nothing else about that lummox having blue eyes makes sense.

Twins are weird.

Sounds about right. ROFL

I've got my twin daughters (who are 8 now) and my oldest daughter is 11. The twins are nuts because as soon as we found out that we were having twins....we were so ****ing worried that we'd never be able to tell them apart. We agonized for weeks leading up to the day they were born. We talked about painting one toe nail or making a mark on the bottom of one of their feet. They were born....spent two weeks in the NICU because they came out early....and the first time they took their breathing masks off....we could easily tell them apart. And from that point on....they were completely different in every way imaginable. One is quiet and reserved....the other is loud and all over the place. One likes to sit down and read....the other has to be ****ing doing something. They don't like the same food. They don't like the same toys. If they like the same show....they have to like different characters. Literally the only three things that I've found that they both like are Minecraft, LEGOs and soccer.

DJ's left nut 12-07-2018 03:32 PM

Learned an interesting fact last month - identical twins aren't hereditary. Just complete flukes; no reason to believe that their children will be any more predisposed to twins of their own.

Fraternal are hereditary and I'm pretty sure I recall it just traveling with the females, but for identicals they're just a one-off.

Would've never guessed that.

**** YOUR THREAD, KC HAWKS! THIS IS OUR THREAD NOW! WE WILL OVERWHELM YOU WITH NUMBERS!

KC Hawks 12-07-2018 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13941649)
Learned an interesting fact last month - identical twins aren't hereditary. Just complete flukes; no reason to believe that their children will be any more predisposed to twins of their own.

Fraternal are hereditary and I'm pretty sure I recall it just traveling with the females, but for identicals they're just a one-off.

Would've never guessed that.

**** YOUR THREAD, KC HAWKS! THIS IS OUR THREAD NOW! WE WILL OVERWHELM YOU WITH NUMBERS!

No, it's fine. I think it's smart to draft twins to play RB. Increases our odds of finding a stud!!

CoMoChief 12-07-2018 04:42 PM

It makes no sense whatsoever to take a RB earlier than rd 3 in today's game.

Stupid.

UChieffyBugger 12-07-2018 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 13941811)
It makes no sense whatsoever to take a RB earlier than rd 3 in today's game.

Stupid.

Not if a stud is there. The facts are the facts, most of the best RB's are taken in the first or second rounds.

Buehler445 12-07-2018 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13941623)
Obliged sir.

Twins are weird.

My son is 10 months old and sounds exactly. My daughter (also 4) was fairly calm and collected. And whip smart.

My son is big strong and reckless. He is a really happy kid and laughs at anything but whatever he does is balls out as fast and hard as he can do it. Squeeze your finger, crawl, pound Cheerios, whatever. Balls out.

And he leads with his head. Christ. I swear to god he needs to go into the concussion protocol daily.

Chargem 12-08-2018 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 13942024)
Not if a stud is there. The facts are the facts, most of the best RB's are taken in the first or second rounds.

If the Chiefs are picking 32, and they have to choose between a CB or a DL who everyone agrees is late first round talent, and a clone of Saquon Barkley, I'd much rather they chose the DL/CB than Saquon at 32.

On average, it does seem like the first round running backs do perform slightly better, but for the production/increase of win chance you get from a "stud" RB just isn't worth the resource of a 1st round pick, especially not for the Chiefs next year.