ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Old school metalheads might like this movie... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=347809)

htismaqe 02-28-2023 05:42 PM

Old school metalheads might like this movie...

This is kind of a weird post but I was bored this weekend, watching old Black Sabbath documentaries and stumbled upon a Netflix original movie called "Metal Lords".

At its core, it's a cliched HS coming of age story. Not much to see really if it wasn't for the subject matter.

As someone who discovered heavy music in the early 80's, the movie really resonated with me. The kids are heavily stereotyped but the stereotypes ring very true as someone who grew up in a strait-laced, rural Iowa town. Whether it's the jokes about D&D, or the constant references to heavy metal being devil music, or even the metal kid getting the shit kicked out of him by the school's star football player, it brought back a lot of memories.

On top of that, it has a killer soundtrack. Lots of old and new metal - Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden mixed in with Metallica, Mastodon, and Opeth.

Interestingly enough, Tom Morello from RATM produced the movie and was a valued consultant for the film. He also wrote the movie's title track (which the kids perform towards the end of the movie) and it ****ing rips. He also brought in some metal icons for cameos.

All in all, I really enjoyed this movie, teenie tropes and all.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81207588

The Franchise 02-28-2023 05:57 PM

I watched it a couple of months ago and had completely forgotten how good it really was. Definitely has some cliche moments but it was way better than I thought it was going to be.

htismaqe 02-28-2023 06:00 PM

Yeah, like I said, it’s really just a HS coming of age story at its core, including the two geeky kids that hookup for the “romance” element. But the main characters are just so spot on that it turned out great.

ModSocks 02-28-2023 06:01 PM

I've seen it around and been curious about it. I'll give it a go.

The Franchise 02-28-2023 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16831304)

Definitely do. I thought going into it that it was going to be horrible with some good music but I came out of it really liking it.

htismaqe 02-28-2023 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16831304)

I can’t guarantee you will like it. It’s kinda cheesy in places and it’s definitely not the type of movie I would normally watch but the music stuff drew me in and then I ended up really enjoying it.

Easy 6 02-28-2023 06:08 PM

Sounds like something I'd totally enjoy, a good rock n roll inspired coming of age tale

htismaqe 02-28-2023 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 16831316)
Sounds like something I'd totally enjoy, a good rock n roll inspired coming of age tale

It ain't rock and roll, it's straight up metal. It isn't School of Rock (great movie but musically blah to me).

htismaqe 02-28-2023 06:10 PM

The other thing I really related to was them having to compete for popularity against an Ed Sheeran cover band. God, getting gigs back then was ****ing impossible.

Molitoth 02-28-2023 06:45 PM

It was a fun movie, I've watched it a few times.

lawrenceRaider 03-01-2023 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 16831306)
I can’t guarantee you will like it. It’s kinda cheesy in places and it’s definitely not the type of movie I would normally watch but the music stuff drew me in and then I ended up really enjoying it.

Have you watched Heavy Trip?

If so, how does this one compare?

Third Eye 03-01-2023 11:38 AM

Had some good tunes, but the story was a bit too teeny bopper and the main dude was too much of a pos to really care about.

htismaqe 03-01-2023 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 16832245)
Have you watched Heavy Trip?

If so, how does this one compare?

Haven't seen it.

htismaqe 03-01-2023 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 16832282)
Had some good tunes, but the story was a bit too teeny bopper and the main dude was too much of a pos to really care about.

IMO, the main dude was the drummer. But yeah, the "metal" guy was a POS. You didn't have one friend in HS that all he did was tell everybody that their music isn't "true metal"? :D

lawrenceRaider 03-01-2023 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 16832317)
Haven't seen it.

Finnish movie, pretty damn good.