ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV New Netflix Series:Haunting of Hill House (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=318385)

Nzoner 10-23-2018 07:28 AM

New Netflix Series:Haunting of Hill House

I did four separate searches and nothing came up so sorry if somehow I missed a discussion on this.

Anyhow I'm 7 episodes in and loving this new series.NOTE if a discussion starts please use spoiler tags.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G9OzG53VwIk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fish 10-23-2018 07:33 AM

Yeah, there should be a thread. This is a good series...

ottawa_chiefs_fan 10-23-2018 08:17 AM

2 episodes in - excellent writing, special effects and acting...and scary as ****

Halfcan 10-23-2018 08:42 AM

Pretty decent show- the writing kind of tailed off at the end, but I would give it a solid B.

DJJasonp 10-23-2018 10:37 AM

I had to shut it off midway through the 3rd episode last night.

Well done, and creepy, but hoping the pace picks up a bit.

Lots and lots of slow exposition.......but quality so far.

Coochie liquor 10-23-2018 05:39 PM

Just finished episode 5 and it’s pretty damn good!

Simply Red 10-23-2018 05:59 PM

On #7 tonight - it's great.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 10-24-2018 07:36 PM

The acting is mostly terrible, but it's interesting enough that I'll probably finish this season.

Chiefnj2 10-24-2018 07:42 PM

Just finished the series. Pretty good for a horror series. Some Episodes were a little long and sometimes a little repetitive. Overall I enjoyed it. Good ending.

Miles 10-24-2018 07:46 PM

I really enjoyed it but tailed off a bit at the end. Was this the acting debut of Aaron Rodgers?

Simply Red 10-24-2018 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 13842322)
I really enjoyed it but tailed off a bit at the end. Was this the acting debut of Aaron Rodgers?

LOL - yeah i'm not super excited about 9 and 10

sully1983 10-24-2018 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 13838201)
Pretty decent show- the writing kind of tailed off at the end, but I would give it a solid B.

Agreed.

Its not great but its decent enough & binge worthy (watched it all in less than a week) .

The acting is alright / as are the characters for the most part . Steve is a real smug prick . Luke is a colossal **** up idiot (gives a junkie girl that he likes $200 dollars and is shocked she left him high & dryROFL) but overall I cared enough about these people as a family & features a satisfying enough ending imo.

If you do have Netflix , its worth watching .

Miles 10-24-2018 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13842410)
LOL - yeah i'm not super excited about 9 and 10

Still some good stuff there.

Nzoner 10-25-2018 06:20 AM

Definitely a character driven series,now that I've finished I'd still recommend because the characters/story line are interesting enough,just know what you're getting into.I heard it best described the other night on a horror documentary and I paraphrase,"a lot of people from the 80's on think horror=gore and nothing is further off."

ModSocks 10-26-2018 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy tossed tigger's salad (Post 13842310)
The acting is mostly terrible

Dafuq are you talking about

ModSocks 10-26-2018 12:39 PM

Exceeding my expectations so far, 7/10 episodes are down. Clever, well written, well filmed and well acted.

Massively better than most anything i've seen in its genre. Character driven horror and they've done a good job of creating depth for the characters.

It could be a little boring at times however as they develop the characters, but necessary.

This is what "American Horror Story" wishes it could be.

So far, i give it an A.

SAUTO 10-27-2018 07:24 PM

I read an article about how they shot this. It's crazy what they pulled off in single takes imo

Simply Red 10-27-2018 07:57 PM

not a hard closer - same with Castle Rock - good start though.

Coochie liquor 10-30-2018 07:05 AM

Episode 9 was awesome!

Clyde Frog 10-30-2018 02:22 PM

The part where they reveal
Spoiler!
was my favorite moment of the series. Ending was a little weak and long winded. Great story, FX and makeup were incredible. Solid B+

ModSocks 10-30-2018 04:47 PM

Didn't end the way i would've liked. Disappointed actually. The finale felt no different than episodes 1-9. The show never really took off the way i had hoped.

More horror, less mush-gushy crying shit.

Nzoner 10-31-2018 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde Frog (Post 13857386)
The part where they reveal
Spoiler!
was my favorite moment of the series. Ending was a little weak and long winded. Great story, FX and makeup were incredible. Solid B+

Agreed :thumb:

KCUnited 11-05-2018 08:14 AM

It took me a couple episodes to really warm up to this, but once it got going I really enjoyed it. I agree that it got a little long winded towards the end, but it was still a highly enjoyable series as a whole. My favorite was the way it was filmed. The circular filming in the funeral home during the viewing was great. The slow zoom in as people told stories was really well done.

The whole Morticia vibe the mom was giving off was hawt :drool:

Molitoth 11-05-2018 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 13870789)
It took me a couple episodes to really warm up to this, but once it got going I really enjoyed it. I agree that it got a little long winded towards the end, but it was still a highly enjoyable series as a whole. My favorite was the way it was filmed. The circular filming in the funeral home during the viewing was great. The slow zoom in as people told stories was really well done.

Agreed.

I had a hard time getting into it at first, but about episode 3 I finally "got it" and really enjoyed the rest.

loochy 11-06-2018 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13858005)
Didn't end the way i would've liked. Disappointed actually. The finale felt no different than episodes 1-9. The show never really took off the way i had hoped.

More horror, less mush-gushy crying shit.

Yeah, I thought it was great up until the last episode and it's long winded, heartfelt, cliche filled, overly rosy monologues.
Posted via Mobile Device

loochy 11-06-2018 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 13870789)

Yeah, the mom was pretty hot and Theo was hot AF.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pasta Little Brioni 11-06-2018 10:32 AM

Ended with a whimper, so...meh

Sure-Oz 11-11-2018 02:53 AM

Final episode didn't explain why the house was that way. Still enjoyed the show. I wonder if they'll do a season 2.

In58men 11-13-2018 10:41 AM

I love you Nell.

I would have taken care of you.

Baby Lee 12-07-2018 03:21 PM

Did you catch every ghost?

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/netf.../2300-6447027/

Did you get that the children were the stages of grief in order of birth?

SAGA45 12-09-2018 01:43 PM

Nell is kinda thick yet petite. I love that actress now

Rausch 01-02-2019 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13941626)
Did you catch every ghost?

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/netf.../2300-6447027/

Did you get that the children were the stages of grief in order of birth?

I did catch that.

I expected this to be a really craptastic series based on the garbage Hill House movie from the late 90's/early 2000's. Was expecting it to be more goofy Netflix full of political commentary and terrible acting.

Wow. Couldn't have been more wrong. Acting, direction, story all were excellent. About 4-5 eps in I thought "this had to be a woman that wrote this." I looked it up and apparently is considered one of the best horror novels of all time.

How the **** did I never hear of this?

Why can't Hollywood adapt material like this? Mostly true to the story and keeping the heart intact?

I have to read the book now.

And if ever there was a point they really get across it's "you can't really understand until you've lived it yourself." They use a mother being pregnant, a drug addict, the token psychic kid, ghosts, death of a child, etc to get the point home. There's some situation everyone can relate to in here.

This is, by far, my favorite horror series/mini-series ever. It borders on moments you think "oh damn, now it's going to get cheesy" and instead hits you with some really powerful moments. Some real "**** man, I don't want to think about that" moments.

In fact when it was over me and my wife sat and talked for 2 hours, in quiet, about things we have never shared with each other. And we've been together for 20 years.

And the "re-watch" factor only goes up when you can pay really close attention the 2nd time through and look for all the ghosts.

Rausch 01-02-2019 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAGA45 (Post 13945372)
Nell is kinda thick yet petite. I love that actress now

I honestly thought she looked creepy as hell normal...

Rausch 01-02-2019 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 13882827)
Final episode didn't explain why the house was that way. Still enjoyed the show. I wonder if they'll do a season 2.

Spoiler!

Rausch 01-02-2019 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor (Post 13855393)
Episode 9 was awesome!

I thought the second last episode was so good it could have been the finale.

I'm a big fan of ending at the beginning anyway. Sort of Pulp Fiction meets Momento.

And again, the performances in this almost bring you to tears at times.

Sure-Oz 01-02-2019 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 14002015)
Spoiler!

Sounds solid to me. Man I hope there is more

Baby Lee 01-02-2019 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 14003674)

My understanding is, there will be more 'Hill House' but not centered on this 'Hill House.'

Kind of like how AHS anthologized their seasons, moving to other settings and subgenres to tell different horror stories.

So same writers and creative, possibly some overlap in cast. But a distinct new story.

Sure-Oz 01-02-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14003702)
My understanding is, there will be more 'Hill House' but not centered on this 'Hill House.'

Kind of like how AHS anthologized their seasons, moving to other settings and subgenres to tell different horror stories.

So same writers and creative, possibly some overlap in cast. But a distinct new story.

Sounds good to me and hope there knock another one out. Hope it doesn't become true detective s2

Monkey God 08-21-2019 11:29 AM

As usual late to the Netflix series', but my youngest introduced us last weekend. Five episodes in and really hooked.

Rausch 08-27-2019 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 14003674)

This was such a great show and so well written I really hope they leave it alone.

If people want to promote interesting and deep female characters this show is a great example. Every character in this series is important to the story and they all have character arcs. God bless them for adding background hints and details instead of contrived jump scares every ten minutes.

I'm worried if they go for a season 2 they'll just infuse it with politics or ruin it with terrible writing.

Sure-Oz 08-28-2019 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 14412405)
This was such a great show and so well written I really hope they leave it alone.

If people want to promote interesting and deep female characters this show is a great example. Every character in this series is important to the story and they all have character arcs. God bless them for adding background hints and details instead of contrived jump scares every ten minutes.

I'm worried if they go for a season 2 they'll just infuse it with politics or ruin it with terrible writing.

I've heard rumors there will be a s2 but i think this story is over or almost everyone involved won't be in it. Unsure though. I kindve feel that way now. It was great as-is.