ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Mad Men (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231096)

Skyy God 04-28-2015 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11462766)
This whole season feels like an epilogue. I'm not even sure why it was made, artistically speaking.

This. Ending the series with Bert Cooper's soft shoe routine would have been perfect.

Baby Lee 04-28-2015 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11463355)
The AVClub writeup is fantastic this week:

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/mad-men-time-life-218571

That reminds me, The Massacre of Glencoe that formed the basis for the Campbell/McDonald feud is also GRRM's basis for The Red Wedding.

NewChief 04-28-2015 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 11463361)
This. Ending the series with Bert Cooper's soft shoe routine would have been perfect.

Meh. I'm still enjoying the show. It definitely has the feeling of ending with a whimper instead of a bang, but I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

NewChief 04-28-2015 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11463364)
That reminds me, The Massacre of Glencoe that formed the basis for the Campbell/McDonald feud is also GRRM's basis for The Red Wedding.

When I read up on the Glencoe thing last night (after watching the episode), I realized the same thing.

Skyy God 04-28-2015 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11463367)
Meh. I'm still enjoying the show. It definitely has the feeling of ending with a whimper instead of a bang, but I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

I'm emotionally invested in the characters and would prefer it end for them on an up note. This isn't season 4 of the Wire, where it's inevitable things are going to turn our horribly.

Brock 04-28-2015 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11463246)
That's nonsense.

Weiner isn't going to introduce a character, with only a few episodes left, that destroys Joan's life.

:facepalm:

I just found it strange that he shouted to some unseen assistant to book a flight. Why even show that? Seemed purely for Joan's benefit.

Reaper16 04-28-2015 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11463185)
If that was intimated, I missed it. It seems un-Joan-like but I wouldn't be surprised to see Joan move to SoCal, get bored and open her own shop at some point.

I had a similar thought. If they work out together it gives her a financial "out" from McCann.

Pitt Gorilla 04-28-2015 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11463412)
I just found it strange that he shouted to some unseen assistant to book a flight. Why even show that? Seemed purely for Joan's benefit.

It clearly was for her benefit. If nothing else, it could be him showing her how much she means to him (and him making sure she heard the gesture).

DaneMcCloud 04-28-2015 11:33 AM

Quote:

I think it was to show that even in the early 70's, things hadn't changed in terms of "The man being in charge" with a secretary to do all of his "dirty work".

Brock 04-28-2015 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 11463427)
It clearly was for her benefit. If nothing else, it could be him showing her how much she means to him (and him making sure she heard the gesture).

If that's the case, he could have just said "see you tonight".

Baby Lee 04-28-2015 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11463551)

Don't overthink it. It's a simple paternalistic gallant gesture.

'My fair maiden is distressed? Allow me to stop my machinations of industry and instruct my minions to prepare my travel plans!!'

The 1970s version of calling your squire to bring your steed and sword.

Pitt Gorilla 04-28-2015 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11463551)

True. I thought he was trying to be showy for her sake. However, I don't dismiss the idea that his secretary doesn't actually exist.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-28-2015 12:28 PM

Quote:

why? Don and Roger shout for their secretary all the time when she's not visible.

Brock 04-28-2015 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 11463584)
why? Don and Roger shout for their secretary all the time when she's not visible.

But we have seen their secretaries and know for a fact they're real people. It was just the first thing that came to my mind, given Joan's track record with men and how she already told this guy she'd throw her son overboard to be with him.

DaneMcCloud 04-28-2015 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 11463577)
True. I thought he was trying to be showy for her sake. However, I don't dismiss the idea that his secretary doesn't actually exist.

This is silly conspiracy nonsense.

Matthew Weiner isn't going to create a character such as Richard, who's divorced with grown children, to suddenly come into Joan's life, fall in love, throw his plans of "freedom" out the window, only to be a sham, with two episodes left.

No offense but anyone that believes this has neither been an or spent time with an executive that employees an executive secretary. Even as recently as the early 2000's, I know CEO's and CFO's that wouldn't be able to get to their office without an executive secretary let alone, across the country.