ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Ten Things About Last Night’s Game: AFC Championship: NFL 37, Kansas City 31 in OT (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320752)

FAX 01-21-2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 14060800)
In the first half the defense was on the field the entire half. IIRC, KC only had three first downs the first half. When they came out in the second half, they got the ball and marched right down and scored a TD within a minute or two. The team never really looked shell shocked. I think by game end the defense was gassed because of TOP. Whoever won the coin toss to go into OT was probably going to win the game. Mahomie just never got the chance to win it.

Yeah ... I know that, Mr. gblowfish.

I was asking about the behavior/demeanor of the guys on the sideline. You're right there and I was curious if you noticed something ... attitude-wise. To me, we seemed emasculated from the jump.

FAX

gblowfish 01-21-2019 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 14060818)
Yeah ... I know that, Mr. gblowfish.

I was asking about the behavior/demeanor of the guys on the sideline. You're right there and I was curious if you noticed something ... attitude-wise. To me, we seemed emasculated from the jump.

FAX

I never saw body language that said shell shock. Saw a lot of sad faces on the field and in the stands at the end. Oh, and some of the Pats players were being dicks by taunting our fans. All I can say to that is payback is a bitch. We got some on the Colts this year, we bitch slapped the Steelers in their home in the regular season, now these guys will be on our list. We'll owe them one if they ever make it back to an AFC Championship game after GOAT and Hoodie retires. A lot of teams are going to work out a lot of frustration in NE.

L.A. Chieffan 01-21-2019 01:15 PM

Thanks for the Ten Things all year George. I've said it before but it's always good to hear from the perspective of the fans at the game since I can usually only watch on tv. I'm always looking out for you when they show the players near the tunnel.

My dad is 74 and has been rooting for the Chiefs since their inception. He went to a bunch of games at the old Stadium. We watched this game together with my 17 year old son. I can feel a new tide coming. Thanks again for being there as well as everybody else that showed up last night in the cold. Thank you

Rasputin 01-21-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 14060795)
Oh and one more thing. On the kickoff that was ruled not to have hit Edelman, shouldn't have been Chiefs ball anyway? They recovered it before it went into the end zone, kind of like an onside kick?

No that was a punt a muffed one but I believe it hit his thumb and forearm but was ruled it didn't touch him so it was downed by contact wherever the Chiefs touched it by picking it up. The call on the field was a muff and you cant advance a muffed kick another stupid rule besides the point.

gblowfish 01-21-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 14060835)
Thanks for the Ten Things all year George. I've said it before but it's always good to hear from the perspective of the fans at the game since I can usually only watch on tv. I'm always looking out for you when they show the players near the tunnel.

My dad is 74 and has been rooting for the Chiefs since their inception. He went to a bunch of games at the old Stadium. We watched this game together with my 17 year old son. I can feel a new tide coming. Thanks again for being there as well as everybody else that showed up last night in the cold. Thank you

You're welcome. If you look for me and Mrs. B, the Chiefs bench has behind it two sets of stairs that lead down to a tunnel to the locker room. As I face the field (the press box is at my back) I sit over the set of stairs to the left (west) at about the 49 yard line. I've been on TV a lot. I refuse to act like Mr. Crazy Fan who loses his mind when a TV camera is pointed at me. I was on the other side of TV cameras for the first ten years of my professional career, so excuse me for not going full Bozo just because ESPN points a camera my way. Another interesting thing was, I didn't recognize most of the people sitting around me last night. Most of the regulars who sit by my side or behind me had apparently scalped their tickets. The guy who sits to my left went to some Mexican beach, and sold his three seats for $4200 total. I guess if I was more mercenary, I could have made off with the big bucks. I just don't tick that way. Probably why I'm a middle class sales dude living in Independence. Oh well, I'm happy usually :)

RunKC 01-21-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 14060645)
Mahomes has the higher QB rating: 117 to 77.1 because of Brady’s two picks. QB rating is the most worthless stat in pro football.

That is totally false. It’s the most important. It directly correlates to winning %. Brady’s two picks made the game close. Without them we get blown out by 2TD.

Seeing the diff Mahomes makes after the shit parade we’ve had here at QB makes me a bit surprised you’d argue this.

If Dee Ford doesn’t jump offsides, KC is going to the Super Bowl and this is what everyone would be talking about:

Mahomes-3 TD’s/0 INT’s 117 rating
Brady 1 TD/3 INT’s rating in the high 50’s

gblowfish 01-21-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 14060840)
No that was a punt a muffed one but I believe it hit his thumb and forearm but was ruled it didn't touch him so it was downed by contact wherever the Chiefs touched it by picking it up. The call on the field was a muff and you cant advance a muffed kick another stupid rule besides the point.

From the scoreboard replays, I thought it grazed his thumb. We got the pick a couple of plays later, but it foreshadowed what was to come.

Best22 01-21-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything (Post 14060621)
I'm crushed. For about 10 seconds I thought we were legitimately going to the SB. Then they announced Dee Ford lined up offsides. A penalty that did not affect Sorenson's interception at all.

I'm legitimately crushed because I am not convinced we will be in this position again. It's so difficult to get to this point. You have to take advantage when you do...and we didn't.

Good write up though. It's going to take some serious time before this one subsides.

You never know

Cowboys were looked at as chokers and “can’t win the big game” for years until they finally won SB VI

Colts drafted Manning in 1998, went 13-3 in 1999 and didn’t make the AFC title game until 2003 where they lost to New EnglandROFL. 2004 they lost a road divisional to NE. 2005 was a heartbreaking one and done. Couldn’t “get over the hump” until 2006, Manning’s 9th season

We never know. Maybe we go 7-9 next year, maybe we go 14-2 and win the Superbowl.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-21-2019 01:33 PM

George, I'm with you all the way INCLUDING your acceptance of the facts of NFL life coupled with the reality of business. Thank you for the write-ups this season, I always enjoy getting your perspective, the perspective of a fan who has literally seen it all in person.
Pat's time, and by extension the Chiefs, will come. Even Brady's kale pajamas and hyperbaric chamber can't stop the march of father time. If the Chiefs had fielded even a modicum of something resembling a competent defense( not ranked 31st overall ), we would probably be singing a different tune today.

tk13 01-21-2019 01:36 PM

Thanks for another great season George.

We made it farther than I think any of us expected but it's still disappointing. It was right there. There's just never any guarantee you get back to this point. You have to stay healthy, you have to have a GM who is finding the right players to improve the defense, etc. But with Mahomes we'll at least be in the conversation.

When the Royals came so close and lost, it really did light a fire in them and the next season they came to training camp early and were completely locked in and on a mission to finish the job. They were as focused as any KC team we've seen. Honestly even compared to other championship caliber teams... there aren't many examples of something comparable to that lineup having 9 guys all locked in at the same time in the playoffs. Almost every single player on that team carried their weight.

Hopefully this creates the same thing for the Chiefs. I said it a while back over in that Tom Brady thread but the Pats aren't going away. Their offense is not reliant on big passing plays, it never really has been. The Patriots just play smart and are able to find your weaknesses and exploit them. And as long as they have Belichick they'll have good defensive gameplans. The Chiefs absolutely have the talent to beat them but it's not really about that, it's about being focused and disciplined and making adjustments as the game progresses. You just have to be locked in against them every play and not make simple mistakes or they'll get you.

I'll say this though, Andy Reid has done an amazing job making adjustments against Belichick. Yes having Mahomes helps, but even two years ago when we beat them at Foxboro the Chiefs scored 28 second half points. The two times we played them this year we scored 31 in the second half. That is some impressive work against maybe the best defensive coach in history.

I've been complaining about the defense all year and how it's going to kneecap us so there's no reason to beat a dead horse, but hopefully Veach and Reid take it seriously and make some serious changes to that side of the ball. Or we'll be here again next year.

Marcellus 01-21-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

7. The defense had only given up seven points until less than 30 seconds left in the half. That’s decent. Brady probably would have had 21 if not for Ragland’s pick in the end zone to keep the Chiefs from getting blown out. Nelson continues to suffer from Bartee Disease and seems to either drop a pick, or get burned for a TD every single week. In the second half they had one fourth and one stop. The defense could not hold a four point lead with two minutes to a trip to Atlanta. Then in the OT they gave up three consecutive 3rd and 10’s. They couldn’t get the Pats off the field, so they did not deserve to win.
This sums it up, defense choked and failed PMII.

Great write up as always.

Demonpenz 01-21-2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything (Post 14060646)
Edit: I don't buy into all the conspiracy stuff below, but I do firmly believe that officials are influenced, to a degree, by narrative.

Yankees make the World Series after 911

Saints win the Super Bowl after Katrina.

Boston wins the World Series after the marathon bombing

Houston wins the World Series after Harvey flooding.

Rams make the Super Bowl after major wild fires and turned around a bad franchise 3 years after moving to a major tv market.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/KqsM...8_PM__2_.0.png

I don't think anyone would argue that the league gives the teams wins it wants.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-21-2019 01:45 PM

You deserved better, George.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-21-2019 01:49 PM

I just wish Veach had a greater sense of urgency. Dante Fowler caused the game-changing pick for the Rams. There were multiple good or elite DBs available in-season and he made a run at none of them. Having Reid or Earl Thomas back there changes that defense.

Mahomes, Hill, and Jones will never be cheaper. Windows slam shut quickly in the NFL, look at Atlanta, and Jax.

Hammock Parties 01-21-2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Am I crushed? No, actually I’m strangely satisfied with how everything went down this year. We made it to the final four. We got the home playoff loss monkey off our backs last week. We got an AFC title game at Arrowhead and took the greatest NFL dynasty team of the last 20 years into overtime with a rookie QB. They fought like Hell, didn’t embarrass the city, and came up a bit short. I can live with that.
Feel exactly the same way.

Our time is coming.