ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Not starting Patrick Mahomes II in 2017 - good idea or bad idea? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320618)

Rain Man 01-19-2019 06:36 PM

Not starting Patrick Mahomes II in 2017 - good idea or bad idea?

Some of you may know that Patrick Mahomes II was drafted in 2017. He watched 15 of the 16 regular season games from the sideline, and he watched the Jeff Triplette abomination from the same locale.

My question to you, brilliant Kansas City Chiefs fans, is whether that was a good move or a bad move long term.

There are many facets to consider in this situation. I'll list a few, and you will likely identify more.

Would we have made the playoffs in 2017 with a Mahomes-Led Team (MLT)?
Would we have gone further in the playoffs with an MLT?
Would we get one more career year from Mahomes to enjoy in that situation?
Mahomes learned from Alex
Alex's trade value was impacted by starting in 2017.
Would more film have impacted Mahomes' legendary 2018 season?
Would more playing experience have impacted Mahomes' legendary 2018 season?
We lost a year of Mahomes' non-billion dollar rookie contract.
Would it have impacted Mahomes' chemistry with future consensus all-pro Gehrig Dieter?

You'll be receiving a poll faster than Patrick Mahomes II throws to Kelce over the middle.

Iconic 01-19-2019 06:37 PM

Bad, could have had 2 SB's already

-King- 01-19-2019 06:44 PM

Good. Everybody has talked about how much having a year to learn from Reid and Alex helped him. A year to literally just learn with no pressure to perform was really good for him and we see how much his mechanics have improved while still retaining his uniqueness.

crispystl 01-19-2019 06:55 PM

[QUOTE=Rain Man;14052885]Some of you may know that Patrick Mahomes II was drafted in 2017. He watched 15 of the 16 regular season games from the sideline, and he watched the Jeff Triplette abomination from the same locale.

My question to you, brilliant Kansas City Chiefs fans, is whether that was a good move or a bad move long term.

There are many facets to consider in this situation. I'll list a few, and you will likely identify more.

Would we have made the playoffs in 2017 with a Mahomes-Led Team (MLT)?

I think it was good for him to sit . Now you could argue Andy shouldve trotted him out in the 4th quarter of the Titans game last year (I think he would've won it for us) but you also have to consider the derogatory effect that would have on Alex's trade value, so I get what Andy was thinking. As much as we complain about Andy he usually seems like he knows best.(like starting Ward in the Seahawks game) The guy has won a freaking ton of games.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reerun_KC 01-19-2019 06:58 PM

It was a complete wasted opportunity. He learned zero for that junk QB Alex.

KChiefs1 01-19-2019 07:11 PM

I would have started him after the Giants debacle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlaChief58 01-19-2019 07:12 PM

I think it was the perfect way to handle him. The only gripe I have is that Andy didn't yank Alex in the second half of last year's playoff debacle

BWillie 01-19-2019 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 14052886)
Bad, could have had 2 SB's already

ROFL:clap:

Might be right!

Although I think having a guy like Mahomes sitting behind Smith was good for a year. A guy, who's biggest knock coming into KC was being too much of a gunslinger and hunting the big play, had to sit behind Alex Smiff - the king of being a pussy and not taking the risky big play.

BigBeauford 01-19-2019 07:40 PM

It was still worth the 3rd rounder and Fuller. Smith would have lost value in a benching.

Reerun_KC 01-19-2019 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14053011)
ROFL:clap:

Might be right!

Although I think having a guy like Mahomes sitting behind Smith was good for a year. A guy, who's biggest knock coming into KC was being too much of a gunslinger and hunting the big play, had to sit behind Alex Smiff - the king of being a pussy and not taking the risky big play.

Myths create conversation

BigRedChief 01-19-2019 08:01 PM

Obviously it’s worked out pretty damn good. Who knows if he would have learned pre-snap defensive reads on the fly if he starts day one. His decision making is way better than he ever showed in college.

BigRedChief 01-19-2019 08:06 PM

Also let’s not underestimate the impact Reid has had on his development this season by sitting with him and coaching him up every time the defense is playing. Again, obviously, that was another good decision.

DRM08 01-19-2019 08:12 PM

He didn't have a redshirt year in college and only started playing QB his junior year of high school. He played most of the 2015 and 2016 seasons with significant injuries to his knee, throwing shoulder, and wrist.

The 2017 "redshirt" year at the pro level was awesome for him. Got to heal from the 2015-2016 injuries. Learned a hell of a lot from Reid, Nagy, Kafka, and Alex.

MTG#10 01-19-2019 08:16 PM

I think Patrick Mahomes is a good football player

Pitt Gorilla 01-19-2019 08:20 PM

Should have started playoff game last season.