ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Did Mahomes regress this season? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=327648)

Deberg_1990 12-30-2019 12:18 PM

Did Mahomes regress this season?

1 Attachment(s)
Obviously the stats are not as gaudy as 2018.

Even without the injury, his stats would have been down.

Are his stats down because the team didn’t have to lean on him so hard or are they down because he regressed in the red zone?

Discuss....

Reerun_KC 12-30-2019 12:21 PM

Yes, sophomore slump.

Was expected. But still played some great football.

Next year should be much more refined.

tmax63 12-30-2019 12:22 PM

I think less regression than the league coming up to speed on him. Now that teams have tendencies and tape to study he's not surprising anyone. Although stats aren't as gaudy this year I feel he's improved from year one.

chiefzilla1501 12-30-2019 12:22 PM

I think all pocket passers regressed. He's not alone. Rodgers and Brady regressed too. Brees became a glorified game manager. Mahomes broke the NFL last year and so defenses OVERadjusted. In doing so, defenses left themselves horribly exposed to running teams and running QBs.

I think defenses have since adjusted to be better at stopping the run but this offseason is where you'll see a lot more of it. I hope, at least.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-30-2019 12:24 PM

Last year was an outlier to a degree. He'll probably never have that collection of talent and skill position health again, and defenses had more time to adapt to the system. Even Brady and Manning only ever had one year like that
Too many things can go wrong.

493rd 12-30-2019 12:25 PM

Oh just wait. The best is yet to come for Mahomes. Next year he’ll throw 40 TDs and everyone will be saying this year was just an off year for him.

Rain Man 12-30-2019 12:28 PM

As an interesting and somewhat related fact, consider this.

The Chiefs offense scored 114 fewer points this season, which is almost exactly one touchdown per game.

The Chiefs defense yielded 113 fewer points this season, again one touchdown per game.

So the point differential went down one point. We outscored opponents by 144 points in 2018 and 143 points in 2019.

chiefzilla1501 12-30-2019 12:30 PM

Also, I don't think being efficient is necessarily a regression. He's better today at taking what he's given.

My big question is... What is gus Bradley doing? Mahomes has usually had less success against man (he's much better now) but he's always torched zone. But Bradley's had his number the last few times. Just hope he didn't expose anything this late in the season.

Deberg_1990 12-30-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14685762)

The Chiefs offense scored 114 fewer points this season, which is almost exactly one touchdown per game.

The Chiefs defense yielded 113 fewer points this season, again one touchdown per game.

So the point differential went down one point. We outscored opponents by 144 points in 2018 and 143 points in 2019.

Wow. Fascinating

comochiefsfan 12-30-2019 12:31 PM

Statistically yes, but he was still a top 5 QB in the league.

A few things led to his stats going down that had nothing to do with him.

1. Injuries (Completely missed 2.5 games and was hobbled for the vast majority of others)

2. Better defense meant we didn’t have to throw nearly as much this year. Last year Patty was slinging it all four quarters just to keep us in games. This year, that wasn’t necessary nearly as often.

3. Our lack of a running game meant that opposing defenses were content to sit back deep and refuse to let Tyreek and Pat beat them over the top. Far fewer chunk plays because they simply weren’t there.

So yes, Patrick regressed slightly, but he also grew tremendously I think in the mental part of the game this year. I suspect over the next few seasons as Andy and Veach build the o-line and running game back up to snuff, that we’re going to see some “peak Rodgers” esque seasons from Pat.

Make no mistake, the best is yet to come for Patrick Mahomes.

frozenchief 12-30-2019 12:31 PM

He also had some injuries that affected his performance, so it's hard to say how much was a sophomore slump, how much was injuries and how much was a change in defense.

Sassy Squatch 12-30-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14685762)

Yeah. Had a couple of shootouts that had Mahomes putting up gaudy stats last year. Reid usually turtles so Mahomes isn't going to get as many chances if the defense performs to the level it has been.

ChiefBlueCFC 12-30-2019 12:32 PM

Regressed in the sense that he didn't throw 50 TDs and 5000 yards? Yes clearly.

Did he regress in his ability to play the QB position? Absolutely not. He got better, in fact.

RaidersOftheCellar 12-30-2019 12:33 PM

The per game averages were all similar other than touchdown rate.

Things may never line up for him to throw 50 TDs again. But I think he’ll have a lot of 40 TD seasons.

comochiefsfan 12-30-2019 12:34 PM

Oh and by the way, he still led us to a first round bye and has us primed for a Super Bowl run.

If that’s a “down season” for Mahomes, then the rest of the league might as well pack it in.