ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Finally a movie I've marked my calendar for (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315418)

Dartgod 11-22-2018 02:29 PM

My wife and I saw this last weekend. Great flick, loved it, loved it, loved it!

EPodolak 11-24-2018 01:58 AM

Just saw the movie a little while ago. Came home in a much better mood than I left, it was a lot of fun.

Most everyone in the theater weren't born at the time of Live Aid, but pretty sure they experienced Freddie's charisma and the excitement of the music. Or so I like to think.

I'm ready to quit my job and start a band.

BigRedChief 11-27-2018 09:48 PM

Finally saw this movie. Fantastic movie. Excellent writing, acting and direction. Avoided being cliche. Highly recommend.

BucEyedPea 11-28-2018 06:20 PM

I just came in from seeing it. I loved it! It was excellent! Some very funny lines too. I cried in the end though. Very sad.

What a BIG personality Mercury was. Had no idea his family were Indian and were Zoroastrian. Or about Mary Austin.

Nzoner 11-30-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 13918588)
I just came in from seeing it. I loved it! It was excellent! Some very funny lines too.

Loved this

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l3iIJu08t-Y" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dartgod 11-30-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 13921239)
Loved this

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l3iIJu08t-Y" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Damn, that makes me want to go see this again.

mikeyis4dcats. 11-30-2018 01:14 PM

got my 8yo and 3 yo loving We Will Rock You.

Nzoner 12-04-2018 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13921327)
Damn, that makes me want to go see this again.

Going to catch a nice buzz and take my firework girls to see this.They have yet to see it and are in their 20's,so I'm hoping it gives them a little appreciation of why the old man raves about certain music like I do.

gblowfish 12-04-2018 10:45 AM

I saw this Saturday night with Mrs. B. I thought it was terrific. I have several musical bio pics I like: Buddy Holly Story with Gary Busey, La Bamba with Lou Diamond Phillips, Ray with Jamie Foxx, Get on Up with Chadwick Boseman, and this one with Rami Malek. While I was watching the movie, I kept thinking about the guy cast as the bass player and kept thinking, "Where have I seen him?" He's Joe Mazzello from the WWII series "The Pacific." He played Sledgehammer, and Rami Malek was Snafu. So cool that they're in this film, with lead and supporting roles reversed this time. Also the guy who plays the EMI record exec who says Bohemian Rhapsody would never be a hit is Mike Meyers, who brought the song back to a new generation in Wayne's World. Also, the original director bailed out on the movie and the guy they brought in, Dexter Fletcher, played Sgt John Martin in the WWII series "Band of Brothers." I thought that was cool. Malek was unbelievable as Freddie. I think he deserves an oscar.

Frazod 12-04-2018 11:09 AM

He was the little kid in the original Jurassic Park, too.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu7jn...sk6co1_500.jpg

Nzoner 12-07-2018 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 13934753)
Going to catch a nice buzz and take my firework girls to see this.They have yet to see it and are in their 20's,so I'm hoping it gives them a little appreciation of why the old man raves about certain music like I do.

Did thhis toniht and hey loved it......

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fu1c3ryidNQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nzoner 12-08-2018 09:49 AM

Don't even remember typing that :shake: I did come to at 3:30 a.m. in my computer chair and no thankfully I wasn't that wasted during the movie.

2nd time was better than the first though except the sound,compared to IMAX our local theatre's sound sucked.

Munson 12-08-2018 10:11 AM

The last 20 or 30 minutes was epic.

They could've made the whole movie about their Live Aid performance and I still would've gone to see it.

eDave 01-06-2019 10:31 PM

Best Actor and Best Motion Picture at the Golden Globes tonight.

mikeyis4dcats. 01-07-2019 09:43 AM

great movie, Rami deserved the win, though I thought ASIB overall was the better picture.

Frazod 01-07-2019 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 14015193)
great movie, Rami deserved the win, though I thought ASIB overall was the better picture.

Agreed. I'm kind of shocked that Gaga didn't get Best Actress. I figured she was a shoe-in.

mikeyis4dcats. 01-07-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14015273)
Agreed. I'm kind of shocked that Gaga didn't get Best Actress. I figured she was a shoe-in.

i havent seen the winning movie, so i cant say. but i agree Gaga certainly has a great performance. i thought cooper had great sht at director as well...directing, starring, singing.

underEJ 01-07-2019 06:27 PM

I won’t go as far as saying I didn’t like a Star is born, but I wasn’t a big fan of any of the other versions either and it didn’t break any new ground for me at all. I loved Bohemian Rhapsody, but I know that comes with 35+ years of Queen fanaticism so I didn’t expect awards for the movie. For me in 2018, Blackklansman is without a doubt the best picture. It is a masterpiece of this era.

Deberg_1990 01-07-2019 06:43 PM

Backlash against this movie winning awards.

I guess no one mentioned Bryan Singer at all during the acceptance speeches...

mikeyis4dcats. 01-08-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 14016381)
I won’t go as far as saying I didn’t like a Star is born, but I wasn’t a big fan of any of the other versions either and it didn’t break any new ground for me at all. I loved Bohemian Rhapsody, but I know that comes with 35+ years of Queen fanaticism so I didn’t expect awards for the movie. For me in 2018, Blackklansman is without a doubt the best picture. It is a masterpiece of this era.

Haven't seen Blackkklansman yet.

Never seen the other versions of a ASIB. The story isn't what did it for me, it was the whole package. Direction, actual live singing by the actors.

Easy 6 02-23-2019 02:56 PM

Picked this up last night and wow... I was absolutely floored, as far as I'm concerned its the best movie about a rock band ever made

I didn't appreciate their greatness during the heyday, liked some of their songs sure, but wouldn't have bought an album or went to see them in concert... my young and dumb musical tastes only cared about macho cock rock like Crüe etc

And who cares about some "gay" band anyway?... what a dummy

This movie was triumphant, and Rami Malek was SENSATIONAL... he had Mercury down STONE COLD, you'd swear it was Freddie up there

The pacing was absolutely perfect, this movie NEVER gets bogged down

I feel awful about what happened to Freddie, damn near ready to cry... his talent was extreme and he was a very caring, gentle soul who got pulled in by the wrong crowd

5 stars all day, every day

007 02-23-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14121126)
Picked this up last night and wow... I was absolutely floored, as far as I'm concerned its the best movie about a rock band ever made

I didn't appreciate their greatness during the heyday, liked some of their songs sure, but wouldn't have bought an album or went to see them in concert... my young and dumb musical tastes only cared about macho cock rock like Crüe etc

And who cares about some "gay" band anyway?... what a dummy

This movie was triumphant, and Rami Malek was SENSATIONAL... he had Mercury down STONE COLD, you'd swear it was Freddie up there

The pacing was absolutely perfect, this movie NEVER gets bogged down

I feel awful about what happened to Freddie, damn near ready to cry... his talent was extreme and he was a very caring, gentle soul who got pulled in by the wrong crowd

5 stars all day, every day

You know they aren't a gay band right?

Easy 6 02-23-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14121166)
You know they aren't a gay band right?

I was speaking from the small mind of my 15-16-17-18 year old self

Didn't think they were all gay even back then, but Freddie was enough to kinda make me keep my distance... it was complete idiocy, and of course I see that now

CoMoChief 02-23-2019 04:53 PM

So are they going to start making these biopic movies now? Saw that Elton John is having a similar movie made about him.

Easy 6 02-23-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 14121274)
So are they going to start making these biopic movies now? Saw that Elton John is having a similar movie made about him.

Yep, spent three hours this morning watching interviews, docs and concert footage trying to reacquaint myself with Queen and several had that trailer as the opening ad

I hope it's a trend, but not sure Elton's movie will have the same impact... whoever plays better be incredible to even try to approach Malek

007 02-23-2019 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14121322)
Yep, spent three hours this morning watching interviews, docs and concert footage trying to reacquaint myself with Queen and several had that trailer as the opening ad

I hope it's a trend, but not sure Elton's movie will have the same impact... whoever plays better be incredible to even try to approach Malek

Taren edgertony

Easy 6 02-23-2019 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14121349)
Taren edgertony

Well at least his name is eccentric enough to pull it off

Frazod 02-23-2019 05:53 PM

Just picked this and Star is Born up on bluray.

Nzoner 02-23-2019 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14121322)

Speaking as a hardcore Queen fan since the 70's I highly recommend the 3 1/2 + hour documentary Days Of Our Lives

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DIG3rjvXBmY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nzoner 02-23-2019 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14121355)
Just picked this and Star is Born up on bluray.

Do you like watching the extra features?

If so BR has some good ones to check out.

Easy 6 02-23-2019 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 14121526)
Speaking as a hardcore Queen fan since the 70's I highly recommend the 3 1/2 + hour documentary Days Of Our Lives

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DIG3rjvXBmY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'll be watching that soon, the more reading and listening up I do the more interesting they become

You guys who caught them live back in the day are very fortunate

Nzoner 02-23-2019 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14121577)
I'll be watching that soon, the more reading and listening up I do the more interesting they become

You guys who caught them live back in the day are very fortunate

i was fortunate enough to see them live twice The Game tour and Hot Space tour.

As for songs my #1 Queen song was not a hit but is the last track on News Of The World

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0PItMuGp39Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

underEJ 02-24-2019 01:31 PM

Have you seen the kemper arena super 8 footage from 1978? I didn’t see them until 82, but there is great stuff in here of what was clearly an epic concert. A great bit of it’s late right in the middle.

https://youtu.be/8pwp0OAbD3g

Nzoner 02-24-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 14122098)
Have you seen the kemper arena super 8 footage from 1978? I didn’t see them until 82, but there is great stuff in here of what was clearly an epic concert. A great bit of it’s late right in the middle.

Thanks for sharing that,those colored lights were a staple both times I saw them live as well.Remember on The Game tour those lights lowered and all but enclosed the band during an extended instrumental in the middle of Get Down,Make Love.

Easy 6 02-24-2019 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 14121526)

Just finished the first hour, fascinating stuff

How badly the British press treated them early on

Watching them record We Are The Champions in the studio

The story about Freddie grabbing Sid Vicious by his jacket and throwing him out of the recording studio was hilarious

Gonna watch at least another hour of it today, thanks for turning me on to this... they were quite groundbreaking

Deberg_1990 02-25-2019 05:32 AM

Rami Malek. Oscar gold!

Nzoner 02-25-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14122306)
Just finished the first hour, fascinating stuff

How badly the British press treated them early on

Watching them record We Are The Champions in the studio

The story about Freddie grabbing Sid Vicious by his jacket and throwing him out of the recording studio was hilarious

Gonna watch at least another hour of it today, thanks for turning me on to this... they were quite groundbreaking

You're welcome,glad you're enjoying

BigRedChief 02-25-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14121188)
I was speaking from the small mind of my 15-16-17-18 year old self

Didn't think they were all gay even back then, but Freddie was enough to kinda make me keep my distance... it was complete idiocy, and of course I see that now

Judas Priest's lead singer.......... you fan on them back in the day?

Easy 6 02-25-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14123095)
Judas Priest's lead singer.......... you fan on them back in the day?

Didn't give it much thought back then, I guess maybe because back then Halford hadnt yet come out publicly, even though his look strongly suggested it

But I loves me some Priest, have plans to see them for the first time this summer

patteeu 02-25-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14123509)
Didn't give it much thought back then, I guess maybe because back then Halford hadnt yet come out publicly, even though his look strongly suggested it

But I loves me some Priest, have plans to see them for the first time this summer

No matter how much I once liked a band, and at one time Judas Priest was my favorite, I can't get excited about ~70 year old guys playing this kind of music. It's probably unfair of me and their most recent album is pretty darned good IMO, so I hope you have a great time.

Easy 6 02-25-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 14123539)
No matter how much I once liked a band, and at one time Judas Priest was my favorite, I can't get excited about ~70 year old guys playing this kind of music. It's probably unfair of me and their most recent album is pretty darned good IMO, so I hope you have a great time.

You should check out some of their recent concert footage, Halford still has the pipes man

They still have onstage energy thanks to a few new members who are younger guys as well, KK Downing for sure is retired and maybe even Tipton too if memory serves

Nzoner 02-26-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14123509)

I saw them live once,1979 they opened for KISS. :D

htismaqe 02-26-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14123609)
You should check out some of their recent concert footage, Halford still has the pipes man

They still have onstage energy thanks to a few new members who are younger guys as well, KK Downing for sure is retired and maybe even Tipton too if memory serves

KK retired prior to the release of Redeemer of Souls. He was replace by Richie Faulkner, who interestingly enough had been playing guitar for rock singer Lauren Harris, daughter of Iron Maiden bassist Steve Harris.

Tipton still appeared on Firepower but there was some dispute about his contributions, since he had publicly come out and said he had Parkinson's. One thing wasn't in doubt though, Faulkner was a major contributor to the songwriting and the album was heavier as a result.

Dartgod 02-26-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 14122098)

I was at that '78 concert. Upper level front row, right off the side of the stage. Great concert.

htismaqe 02-26-2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 14123539)

JP isn't like seeing Kiss or Def Leppard. Those guys suck live. Priest is still amazing despite their age.

Nzoner 02-26-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14124630)
JP isn't like seeing Kiss or Def Leppard. Those guys suck live.

If for nothing else KISS in '79(still the original line-up) was amazing for the stage show alone.

But yeah absolutely no desire to see them now

htismaqe 02-26-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 14124637)
If for nothing else KISS in '79(still the original line-up) was amazing for the stage show alone.

But yeah absolutely no desire to see them now

Yeah, they're terrible now. Haven't aged well at all.

Nzoner 02-26-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14124645)
Yeah, they're terrible now. Haven't aged well at all.

Not only that but I refuse to pay the kind of money some of these dinosaurs are wanting,the last show I paid over $100 for was Roger Waters performing The Wall.

I rarely go to concerts anymore but if I am it's usually a newer band that's reasonably priced like The Record Company in KC in June.Just paid $35 fees and all and the band is a real up n comer IMO.

patteeu 02-26-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

JP isn't like seeing Kiss or Def Leppard. Those guys suck live. Priest is still amazing despite their age.

I saw them in the early 80s and enjoyed it as they were the top of the heap for me at the time. I didn’t care about Kiss nearly as much, but I thought they did alright live when I saw them around that time too.

Nzoner 02-26-2019 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 14124694)
I saw them in the early 80s and enjoyed it as they were the top of the heap for me at the time. I didn’t care about Kiss nearly as much, but I thought they did alright live when I saw them around that time too.

Speaking of the early 80's and KISS,the strangest billing I ever saw for a concert even to this day was Molly Hatchet opening for KISS.To say it was a mixed crowd is beyond an understatement.

patteeu 02-26-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 14124654)
Not only that but I refuse to pay the kind of money some of these dinosaurs are wanting,the last show I paid over $100 for was Roger Waters performing The Wall.

I rarely go to concerts anymore but if I am it's usually a newer band that's reasonably priced like The Record Company in KC in June.Just paid $35 fees and all and the band is a real up n comer IMO.

I’m with you on that. I’m not sure what it would take to get me to pay for a Sprint Center act these days.

Dartgod 02-26-2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 14124713)
Speaking of the early 80's and KISS,the strangest billing I ever saw for a concert even to this day was Molly Hatchet opening for KISS.To say it was a mixed crowd is beyond an understatement.

I saw Molly Hatchet and Blackfoot back in the day at Memorial Hall. That was a great show.

Nzoner 02-26-2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 14124767)
I saw Molly Hatchet and Blackfoot back in the day at Memorial Hall. That was a great show.

Would've like to have seen Blackfoot,saw MH twice once with Danny Joe and once with Jimmy,much preferred Danny's vocals.

htismaqe 02-26-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 14124654)

I can see most of my favorite bands for under $20 - that's the benefit of listening to niche music, I guess.

htismaqe 02-26-2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 14124737)
I’m with you on that. I’m not sure what it would take to get me to pay for a Sprint Center act these days.

I went to the Sprint Center last year but that was to take my girls to see 21 Pilots. It was actually a pretty decent show, even if it's not my style of music.

patteeu 02-26-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14124859)
I went to the Sprint Center last year but that was to take my girls to see 21 Pilots. It was actually a pretty decent show, even if it's not my style of music.

They aren’t really in my wheelhouse either, but I was surprised by how much I liked their album when I heard it a while back. (Their breakthrough album if they have more than one).

htismaqe 02-26-2019 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 14124954)
They aren’t really in my wheelhouse either, but I was surprised by how much I liked their album when I heard it a while back. (Their breakthrough album if they have more than one).

They're very talented for sure and the concert was very well done. Good show definitely.

Easy 6 02-26-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 14124609)
I saw them live once,1979 they opened for KISS. :D

Lordy what a show that must've been, I'm jelly

Quote:

I can assure you, Sir, that KISS did not USED to suck live... here is a quick tale of two different shows

Year before last I caught them at the state fair, and yes Paul's voice was completely shot, Gene looked like a tub of goo squeezed into a girdle, Thayer and the drummer in Ace and Peter makeup was such a turnoff... and on top of that it was like they decided to build a show around all of my LEAST favorite songs, it was my 5th and last time seeing them

But I also caught the original 96 reunion in St Louis, and it. ****ing. ROCKED.

IIRC it was the 7th show of that tour, so they were primed, still excited and fresh but had done just enough prior shows to work the kinks out... we were first row risers almost eye level with Ace, it was simply amazing

Paul could still pull off all the screams, Ace was spot on, Criss' arms were ripped, Gene wasn't a fat ****... they sounded and looked like vintage KISS, to this day it's still my favorite concert of all time

Easy 6 02-26-2019 04:12 PM

Back to Queen real quick, another thing I found interesting from Days of Our Lives doc is that Michael Jackson had to pressure them into releasing Another One Bites the Dust as a single... a song that almost didn't even MAKE IT ON THE RECORD

What a great ear MJ had, and it makes perfect sense for him... that bass line, the funky guitars, the lyrics, it sounds like a Michael Jackson "hard edged" song

IIRC it was their biggest American hit, so thanks MJ

Nzoner 02-26-2019 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14125164)
Back to Queen real quick, another thing I found interesting from Days of Our Lives doc is that Michael Jackson had to pressure them into releasing Another One Bites the Dust as a single... a song that almost didn't even MAKE IT ON THE RECORD

What a great ear MJ had, and it makes perfect sense for him... that bass line, the funky guitars, the lyrics, it sounds like a Michael Jackson "hard edged" song

IIRC it was their biggest American hit, so thanks MJ

Not only that it crossed over and charted in other mainstream music.As I recall it even made the country charts.

Easy 6 02-26-2019 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 14125388)
Not only that it crossed over and charted in other mainstream music.As I recall it even made the country charts.

The crossover appeal was unheard of at the time

patteeu 02-26-2019 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14125429)
The crossover appeal was unheard of at the time

Both Jeannie C. Riley's Harper Valley PTA and Dolly Parton's 9 to 5 hit #1 on the country charts and the pop charts when they came out. I'm not sure that's happened many other times. That's not really relevant to Queen, but I thought it was interesting when I heard it.

Easy 6 02-26-2019 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 14125441)
Both Jeannie C. Riley's Harper Valley PTA and Dolly Parton's 9 to 5 hit #1 on the country charts and the pop charts when they came out. I'm not sure that's happened many other times. That's not really relevant to Queen, but I thought it was interesting when I heard it.

I stand corrected, but you gotta admit that Queen getting hot on the country charts back then was pretty wild

patteeu 02-26-2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14125454)
I stand corrected, but you gotta admit that Queen getting hot on the country charts back then was pretty wild

It's hard to believe (not that I'm doubting). It seems more likely for country hits to go pop than for rock/pop hits to be picked up by the country guys.

BigRedChief 02-26-2019 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 14124694)

I was promoting concerts in 1982. Judas Priest and Ozzie were the big names I did. Backstage was a snore fest. Ozzy and Priest we’re both off drugs, not even a little weed.

Halford was pissed off because the nearby golf course we gave his manager had no tee times on that day. All they talked about was golf. He wanted his tee time tomorrow or he wasn’t doing the meet and greet. Found out a liitle later, When I left to go fix this the whole room cracked up, he was playing me. They had the tee time. He was just giving me shit for fun. After the concert he let me in on the joke. I told him without missing a beat, bet you guys were more fun when you were doing drugs. That cracked them all up. He gave me a big bear hug and said your alright man.

Fishpicker 02-26-2019 10:20 PM

oh yeah? 1996 I went to an STP concert with Cheap Trick as the opener. Nielsen does a rock n' roll stage move to pump up the crowd. he points right at me. then he did a backhanded-finger toss of a guitar pick. it shot straight at me, hurtling faster than anyone could've anticpated. I was ready, though. I extended both my arms in front of me for a clapping hand catch. both my thumbs got a piece of it. but I couldnt see it. it must've fallen straight down. my 3 friends and I spent a couple minutes looking for it. the next day, i found the pick in my shirt pocket. I tried the pick on my bass guitar and broke it with just a few strums.

Nzoner 03-01-2019 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14125540)
I was promoting concerts in 1982. Judas Priest and Ozzie were the big names I did. Backstage was a snore fest. Ozzy and Priest we’re both off drugs, not even a little weed.

Halford was pissed off because the nearby golf course we gave his manager had no tee times on that day. All they talked about was golf. He wanted his tee time tomorrow or he wasn’t doing the meet and greet. Found out a liitle later, When I left to go fix this the whole room cracked up, he was playing me. They had the tee time. He was just giving me shit for fun. After the concert he let me in on the joke. I told him without missing a beat, bet you guys were more fun when you were doing drugs. That cracked them all up. He gave me a big bear hug and said your alright man.

That was a good story BRC.

The mrs and I once catered a Joan Jett concert (pic is to the left with us and Joan) and it was truly one those lifetime experiences I'll never forget.

Can't tell everything here way too long but let's just say Joan's road manager who went by the name Maddog and I did not see eye to eye and I had to go toe to toe with him twice that day.Thanks to the arena manager I had been forewarned about certain road managers antics so luckily I was prepared,stood my ground and won the battles.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 03-01-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker (Post 14125785)
oh yeah? 1996 I went to an STP concert with Cheap Trick as the opener. Nielsen does a rock n' roll stage move to pump up the crowd. he points right at me. then he did a backhanded-finger toss of a guitar pick. it shot straight at me, hurtling faster than anyone could've anticpated. I was ready, though. I extended both my arms in front of me for a clapping hand catch. both my thumbs got a piece of it. but I couldnt see it. it must've fallen straight down. my 3 friends and I spent a couple minutes looking for it. the next day, i found the pick in my shirt pocket. I tried the pick on my bass guitar and broke it with just a few strums.

I was about 2 ft away from catching BB King's pick once. Chick in front of me had a crazy vertical. Still bummed about that.