ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Movies and TV ESPN plans another big round of layoffs (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=311479)

Eleazar 11-12-2017 09:50 AM

ESPN plans another big round of layoffs

ESPN reportedly plans another big round of layoffs in the coming weeks
BY PETE GRATHOFF

NOVEMBER 10, 2017 9:10 AM

Once upon a time, “SportsCenter” was must-see television for fans. But ESPN’s one-time signature program apparently will be at the center of another round of layoffs that reportedly will happen in the coming weeks.

Sports Illustrated reported that more than 100 people will lose their jobs after Thanksgiving. This is from the SI story:

The layoffs, which were described by a person briefed on the plans, will hit positions across ESPN including front-facing talent on the television side, producers, executives, and digital and technology staffers. The SportsCenter franchise is expected to be hit hard—including on-air people—given the frequency of the show has lessened considerably on main network ESPN.

As more people drop cable in favor of streaming, ESPN has felt the financial pinch. In April, ESPN cut a number of long-time journalists as part of a round of layoffs that included 100 people.

According to the Los Angeles Times, ESPN weighed down the earnings of its parent company, Walt Disney, in a report on Thursday. The Times said that Disney’s “revenue declined 3 percent and the company failed to meet analysts’ expectations.”

The holiday season may seem like a harsh time to shed jobs. But Sports Illustrated said one reason why ESPN is planning the layoffs between Thanksgiving and Christmas is so employees can received another year in the stock vesting program.

Pete Grathoff: 816-234-4330, @pgrathoff

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt...183856526.html

Titty Meat 11-12-2017 09:51 AM

**** that SJW nutjob channel

petegz28 11-12-2017 09:54 AM

Perhaps if they stuck to sports and got out of the politics they may not be hurting so bad.....

Eleazar 11-12-2017 10:01 AM

I know that TV is decreasing and nobody needs to sit and watch sportscenter anymore, the whole model is a bit outmoded, but they should try a "back to sports" push. Scores, stats, highlights, nuts and bolts, X's and O's. Make it about sports again. Appeal to die-hards again.

Obviously doing their current brand of a sports-themed TMZ mixed with left wing politics is not working and isn't going to work.

Molitoth 11-12-2017 10:05 AM

If you compared ESPN to the online music (Metal) community, it would be very similar to "What does Corey Taylor think about _______?"

Nobody wants to sit around and listen to the opinion of some jack ass (they have Chiefs Planet forums for that).

Give the product, let people form their own opinions.

Spott 11-12-2017 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 13212151)
Perhaps if they stuck to sports and got out of the politics they may not be hurting so bad.....

As you bring up politics on a football message board.

Pasta Little Brioni 11-12-2017 10:15 AM

And? There are 100 lame ass "Sports Center"s a night any way and they are all dumb as ****.

BlackHelicopters 11-12-2017 10:19 AM

People still watch the four letter network?

MahiMike 11-12-2017 10:19 AM

I have a top list of folks to recommend:

1 - Stephen A Smith
2 - Jemele Hill
3 - Linda Cohn
4 - Michelle Beadle
5 - Tony Kornheiser
6 - Erin Andrews

I'm sure I can find some more but it's a good start...

BlackHelicopters 11-12-2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 13212195)
I have a top list of folks to recommend:

1 - Stephen A Smith
2 - Jemele Hill
3 - Linda Cohn
4 - Michelle Beadle
5 - Tony Kornheiser
6 - Erin Andrews

I'm sure I can find some more but it's a good start...

I thought Erin was with Fox. Or NBC?

scho63 11-12-2017 10:40 AM

If they focused on things like 30 for 30, doing sports reporting with men for men's sports and women for women sports, find a new Chris Berman type, get more GUEST announcers from the sports world to analyze other games, maybe start a trivia show of sports that Dick Enberg used to host and of course the last thin: STOP WITH THE ****ING POLITICS!

I never watch anything unless I'm forced to like a golf event or baseball game

NWTF 11-12-2017 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 13212161)
I know that TV is decreasing and nobody needs to sit and watch sportscenter anymore, the whole model is a bit outmoded, but they should try a "back to sports" push. Scores, stats, highlights, nuts and bolts, X's and O's. Make it about sports again. Appeal to die-hards again.

Obviously doing their current brand of a sports-themed TMZ mixed with left wing politics is not working and isn't going to work.

This.

I never was interested in their TMZ style talk show segments even before the political climate got hot. I was only interested in scores and highlights, maybe some in depth talk on pro or college football, I have to think sports fans want that depending on the sport they follow.

That being said, when they did the last big round of layoff it seemed like they got rid of more of their actual sports reporters like Ed Werder, John CLayton, etc and tried to keep the TMZ style talk show crap intact. WTF?

bdj23 11-12-2017 10:56 AM

Pls get rid of Jemele Hill.

jallmon 11-12-2017 11:14 AM

I remember when they first got started, Chris Berman had hair (too much), and they covered the Big 8 handball championships among other minor things. Now they are mega, hosting MNF and whatnot, but they changed their mission.

Haven't watched SC in years. Only watch MNF when the Chiefs are on. May rethink that, Lol!

Chiefshrink 11-12-2017 11:16 AM

ESPN like Kodak did not plan for the future and they are becoming very obsolete very quickly !!:D