ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ***Official 2012-13 Mizzou football repository thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=256647)

DJ's left nut 03-06-2012 09:57 AM

The DGB signing may pay its first dividends with Elliott.

With that signing, the cap really did come off for 'quality' Missouri recruits. There's no longer any reason that a premier Missouri recruit shouldn't strongly consider the hometown squad - we can run with these guys.

Elliott will be an extremely intriguing trail to follow.

duncan_idaho 03-06-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8421509)
The DGB signing may pay its first dividends with Elliott.

With that signing, the cap really did come off for 'quality' Missouri recruits. There's no longer any reason that a premier Missouri recruit shouldn't strongly consider the hometown squad - we can run with these guys.

Elliott will be an extremely intriguing trail to follow.

I've heard from a buddy in Ohio that Meyer is recruiting him as "the next Percy Harvin." Which seems like a perfect usage of Elliott's skill set.

Kid is a monster in the classroom, too - John Burroughs HS is one of the top schools in the Midwest. He'll be able to go wherever he wants.

DJ's left nut 03-06-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8421523)
I've heard from a buddy in Ohio that Meyer is recruiting him as "the next Percy Harvin." Which seems like a perfect usage of Elliott's skill set.

Kid is a monster in the classroom, too - John Burroughs HS is one of the top schools in the Midwest. He'll be able to go wherever he wants.

Not the worst sales pitch, that's for sure.

Though I wonder if "the next Henry Josey" has a similar ring.

DaKCMan AP 03-06-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8421523)

Tell him to give Andre "the next Percy Harvin" Debose a call.

Frazod 03-06-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8421529)
Not the worst sales pitch, that's for sure.

Though I wonder if "the next Henry Josey" has a similar ring.

BTW, have you heard anything new about Josey? Does it look like he'll be able to play next year?

kepp 03-06-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8421569)
BTW, have you heard anything new about Josey? Does it look like he'll be able to play next year?

I read a transcript from a Pinkel interview (don't have the link) where he basically said, "He's doing great, but don't count on having him this year."

DJ's left nut 03-06-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8421569)

Talk to Idaho about that one.

I'm still of the mind that they'll redshirt him in 2012 and have him ready for 2013. Idaho seems to have closer sources than I do; I mostly just listen to rumblings and have a few alumni co-workers that are pretty significant donors (tens of thousands, but not hundreds...)

Frazod 03-06-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 8421574)
I read a transcript from a Pinkel interview (don't have the link) where he basically said, "He's doing great, but don't count on having him this year."

I was afraid of that. Bummer.

duncan_idaho 03-06-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8421586)
I was afraid of that. Bummer.

He just had his second knee surgery in the past two weeks or so. So he's a long way away. Note: This was the first ACL replacement. The first surgery to repair the patella.

Smart move is to let him take the whole year off and see where he's at afterwards (and avoid the Danario Alexander/2008 thing, where the guy is gimping around).

Pat Smith has done some amazing things with knees/ACL replacements, though. It would really require a miracle reaction to the ACL graft for Josey to be ready this fall.

Frazod 03-06-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8421658)
He just had his second knee surgery in the past two weeks or so. So he's a long way away. Note: This was the first ACL replacement. The first surgery to repair the patella.

Smart move is to let him take the whole year off and see where he's at afterwards (and avoid the Danario Alexander/2008 thing, where the guy is gimping around).

Pat Smith has done some amazing things with knees/ACL replacements, though. It would really require a miracle reaction to the ACL graft for Josey to be ready this fall.

Thanks for the update. :thumb:

duncan_idaho 03-06-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8421576)
Idaho seems to have closer sources than I do; I mostly just listen to rumblings and have a few alumni co-workers that are pretty significant donors (tens of thousands, but not hundreds...)

My sources aren't what they were when I was at Sporting News, but my Mizzou group is still pretty good. I occasionally get some stuff from friends in the media who can't go "on record" with it (and my sources include a former BoC member). I'm trying to work on a new one... my neighbor's best friend is married to one of the football GAs. If I could get that one open...

PowerMizzou helps a ton with keeping track of the recruiting stuff (not so much the info, but keeping a finger on who's on the offer list/who the big targets are. Much easier to find folks in the free database if you've seen an article about them).

NewChief 03-07-2012 05:59 AM

Can no longer find the SEC move thread, so I'll post in here. I really hope this is the case.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colle...80dd8ee9b.html
Quote:

Mizzou and Arkansas appear to be on a collision course as future permanent cross-divisional rivals in the Southeastern Conference, a topic believed to have been in discussion at last week's SEC meetings and probably at another one today in New Orleans.

On Tuesday, Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin confirmed by Twitter what South Carolina president Harris Pastides had strongly hinted several days ago: that A&M of the SEC West, initially set as MU's cross-division rival for annual football games, will instead be paired with South Carolina of the SEC East.

"Just had a great conversation with the South Carolina president about our permanent SEC rivalry," Loftin tweeted. "We will make this very special!"

Arkansas and South Carolina had a history as cross-divisional rivals.

With MU assigned to the East and Arkansas in the West, a series between them has seemed appealing and logical all along. The schools are about 300 miles apart.

"Arkansas and Missouri have kind of buddied up because they are neighboring states and wanted to play each other," South Carolina president Harris Pastides told a Columbia, S.C., television station.

However, at Mizzou, officials either didn't know or couldn't confirm the impending pairing.

"I have no idea," football coach Gary Pinkel said. "I talked to Mike (Alden), and every meeting he's ever been in, it's never even been discussed. That's what he said to me. And at the head coaches meeting, that wasn't even discussed. So I don't know anything about it."

Pinkel had been interested in keeping A&M as Mizzou's cross-division rival so that Missouri could keep a closer tie with the state of Texas for football recruiting.

"I don't want to comment," Pinkel said. "Since I don't have any control over it, it doesn't really matter."

By text message, Mizzou spokesman Chad Moller said he'd heard nothing official; MU associate athletics director Mark Alnutt, who works with football scheduling, did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment.

Arkansas spokesman Kevin Trainor, calling on behalf of Arkansas athletics director Jeff Long, also said the school had no official information.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colle...#ixzz1oQoidOFj

eazyb81 03-07-2012 07:50 AM

Based on comments from LSU's AD, it sounds like LSU will replace their annual Thanksgiving week game against Arky with A&M, which should create an opportunity for an annual Mizzou-Arky game that week. I'm not certain the SEC will do that though, because usually your last regular season game is against a division team.

It will be interesting to see Mizzou's recruiting shift over the next year or two. We will still get a handful from Texas every year even without an annual game against A&M, but I expect we will start digging into Georgia and Florida heavily, with some poaching from Big Ten states.

I think we are also seeing the early signs of the SEC move with in-state kids. It is a pretty compelling pitch to tell a kid and his parents that he can play in the best conference in the nation and also stay home so his family and friends can watch him play. We may lock down the state starting this season.

duncan_idaho 03-07-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8424108)
Can no longer find the SEC move thread, so I'll post in here. I really hope this is the case.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colle...80dd8ee9b.html

I'm "meh" about that. Honestly, I'd rather play aTm every year.

I'm sure Mike Anderson also loves this news.

NewChief 03-07-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8424184)
I'm "meh" about that. Honestly, I'd rather play aTm every year.

I'm sure Mike Anderson also loves this news.

I like the proximity in that it will be the closest opponent for both teams. Right now, traveling to away games in the SEC is a bitch if you live in Northwest Arkansas.