ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Syfy: The Expanse (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283000)

Third Eye 11-27-2020 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15354386)
I assume the character of Alex will be re-cast?

They already did it with Avasarala's husband, though that's certainly not as important of a role.

I’ll definitely be curious how they approach it, i.e. either re-cast a major character in the final season or completely depart from the source material. That being said, I haven’t read the books, so maybe there is a resonable way to do it.

NewChief 11-27-2020 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 15354505)
I’ll definitely be curious how they approach it, i.e. either re-cast a major character in the final season or completely depart from the source material. That being said, I haven’t read the books, so maybe there is a resonable way to do it.

So they've hinted at some of the big shit to happen in the coming books, but I'm like others that I don't see how it's possible to even come close to covering the ground that the remaining books (and there's still one more!) have covered.

Like... it's a HUGE amount of ground to cover. It was almost unsettling to me (I just read all the books in the last few months during COVID) how crazy far the books go in changing the world. Just not sure how they can do it in the series with that limited number of episodes with which to work.

RealSNR 12-01-2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 15354509)
So they've hinted at some of the big shit to happen in the coming books, but I'm like others that I don't see how it's possible to even come close to covering the ground that the remaining books (and there's still one more!) have covered.

Like... it's a HUGE amount of ground to cover. It was almost unsettling to me (I just read all the books in the last few months during COVID) how crazy far the books go in changing the world. Just not sure how they can do it in the series with that limited number of episodes with which to work.

How well did Amazon pull off Season 4? From what I'm told (have only read the 1st book but am caught up on the series) it's the only season that largely tried to follow the book's arc trajectory beginning to end so that the end of the season lined up with the end of the book. How well did they capture that? I assume things were left out and embellishments were added to make it work for TV, but do you think they left out anything big or perhaps went too fast like they did to wrap up the third season?

NewChief 12-01-2020 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15363610)
How well did Amazon pull off Season 4? From what I'm told (have only read the 1st book but am caught up on the series) it's the only season that largely tried to follow the book's arc trajectory beginning to end so that the end of the season lined up with the end of the book. How well did they capture that? I assume things were left out and embellishments were added to make it work for TV, but do you think they left out anything big or perhaps went too fast like they did to wrap up the third season?

Yes. The last season is pretty on target. The problem is that you have like 4 books to cover in the next season (s). I'll put a spoiler below that doesn't give away much in the way of plot details, but does reveal some of the general structure:

Spoiler!

RealSNR 12-01-2020 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 15363619)
Yes. The last season is pretty on target. The problem is that you have like 4 books to cover in the next season (s). I'll put a spoiler below that doesn't give away much in the way of plot details, but does reveal some of the general structure:

Spoiler!

The plan is to stop the series after the events of Book 6, I believe. Do you think that could work? At the very least, do you trust the writers of the books (who are heavily involved with the production) to clean things up enough?

NewChief 12-01-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15363642)
The plan is to stop the series after the events of Book 6, I believe. Do you think that could work? At the very least, do you trust the writers of the books (who are heavily involved with the production) to clean things up enough?

Yeah. That makes sense, actually. It basically cleaves off a huge plot twist that I'm not sure I love anyway. I can definitely see how they could change things a bit there and end up with a satisfactory ending.

Discuss Thrower 12-01-2020 01:39 PM

If "Mr. Corey" is in to it, I'd love to see something like the Vesta Incident turned into a telefilm.

Bowser 12-07-2020 01:38 PM

So life as it will happened with me the last few years and I never got around to watching this. I finally FINALLY dove in and binged almost the first two seasons (I was almost tempted to turn off the turd of a game against the Broncos and get back to it. Almost). I'm at the part where Draper asks for political asylum on Earth.

This show is absolutely amazing. I haven't been drawn into a show like this since Game of Thrones up til about season 6. I stopped reading this thread around post 100. I'll be back when I'm all caught up. :)

And no, I never ended up reading the books, either. After I'm caught up on the show, I'm 100% sure I'll dive into those as well.

Bowser 12-11-2020 03:49 PM

This show has been crack. I'm to the point where Holden and crew are on Ilos. I can't get enough of this, lol.

And Amos might be my favorite character of any series in some time, haha.

stumppy 12-12-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15388954)
This show has been crack. I'm to the point where Holden and crew are on Ilos. I can't get enough of this, lol.

Have you seen Bobbie yet?

Miles 12-13-2020 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15388954)

The actor that plays Amos does a really good job and particularly as the show progresses.

I suspect you would also really like the books.

Miles 12-13-2020 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 15354332)
My initial response to this when I saw it a couple of days ago was disappointment.

I just don't think they can wrap it up in one season. They'll have to scrap almost everything. I guess we're lucky to get as much as we have.

I was initially bummed out by the news but the comments about ending with book 6 in the source makes a lot of sense. With it having been cancelled once and all of the other shows it seems not getting endings these days I’m glad this one at least will.

Bowser 12-13-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 15390779)
Have you seen Bobbie yet?

Oh yeah. I like her as well - an equal badass but with emotion. If her and Amos end up with a kid, they'll end up ruling all the portal worlds lol.

Bowser 12-13-2020 09:12 PM

The **** you mean I have to wait until February 3 for season 5?? DO THEY NOT UNDERSTAND MY LEVEL OF ADDICTION TO THIS SHOW??

Bowser 12-14-2020 02:28 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xXHajjDpA3Y" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>