ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

Sure-Oz 07-21-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5914784)
Is that out today? I'll have to rent it.

Yes it was released today, and you should. Make sure to rent the Directors Cut, about 28 more min.(not sure if all dvds released are dc or not)

Frazod 07-21-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 5914807)
Yes it was released today, and you should. Make sure to rent the Directors Cut, about 28 more min.(not sure if all dvds released are dc or not)

I'll try to get to Blockbuster before they run out of blu-rays.

Sure-Oz 07-21-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5914816)
I'll try to get to Blockbuster before they run out of blu-rays.

Rent it on BR or not at all, it will look and sound sweet!

Frazod 07-21-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 5914826)
Rent it on BR or not at all, it will look and sound sweet!

One question - I've never read the comic book/graphic novel/whatever you call it. Many of the negative reviews said the movie would be very hard to follow for people not familiar with the source material. Do you think that will be the case?

Reaper16 07-21-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5914921)
One question - I've never read the comic book/graphic novel/whatever you call it. Many of the negative reviews said the movie would be very hard to follow for people not familiar with the source material. Do you think that will be the case?

No, I don't think so. Maybe I'm giving you too much credit (;)) but I think you'll grasp it. It may seem slow at first, but rest assured that everything will makes sense eventually.

Frazod 07-21-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5914957)
No, I don't think so. Maybe I'm giving you too much credit (;)) but I think you'll grasp it. It may seem slow at first, but rest assured that everything will makes sense eventually.

Okay, I'll give it a shot.

I was mainly wondering if this is something cool enough that I should just go ahead and buy it.

Buck 07-21-2009 01:47 PM

Oh yeah that Watchmen comes out today.

Read the novel, awesome. Still haven't seen the movie.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-21-2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckinKaeding (Post 5914971)
Oh yeah that Watchmen comes out today.

Read the novel, awesome. Still haven't seen the movie.

It seems like Watchmen would be better as a book than a movie.

Reaper16 07-21-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5914964)
Okay, I'll give it a shot.

I was mainly wondering if this is something cool enough that I should just go ahead and buy it.

I think that its the best comic book/superhero movie ever made.

Even then, it doesn't hold a candle to the graphic novel. The graphic novel is nothing short of the greatest artistic achievement that the entire comics industry has ever produced

Buck 07-21-2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raised On Riots (Post 5914977)
It seems like Watchmen would be better as a book than a movie.

Haven't seen the movie, but I can almost guarantee you the Novel is 100x better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5915012)
I think that its the best comic book/superhero movie ever made.

Even then, it doesn't hold a candle to the graphic novel. The graphic novel is nothing short of the greatest artistic achievement that the entire comics industry has ever produced

This.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-21-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckinKaeding (Post 5915019)
Haven't seen the movie, but I can almost guarantee you the Novel is 100x better.

This.

It wasn't a GN, rather a series, but I've always felt "Martha Washington Goes To War" would make one AWESOME movie.

Reaper16 07-21-2009 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raised On Riots (Post 5915046)
It wasn't a GN, rather a series, but I've always felt "Martha Washington Goes To War" would make one AWESOME movie.

I don't think that the original distribution matters. Many of Charles Dickens' novels (for just one example) were distributed serially by chapter to a magazine before being compiled into one, complete book. They are still novels.

Miles 07-21-2009 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 5914231)
Have either of you (or anyone else) seen the British mini-series based on Gaiman's "Neverwhere"? I have it, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I don't know how it can do justice to the book and I'm afraid it's going to be a kind of hokey. I'm sure it's pretty low budget.

The production values were pretty sketchy but I thought it was still worth watching if you can get past the look. I think the screenplay for the mini series came first and it is mostly the same as the novel but lacked some of the details.

Fairplay 07-21-2009 07:25 PM

As a general rule i don't get into to comic book movies. So i won't buy it outright until i rent it first.

Frazod 07-21-2009 07:32 PM

Well, I got the last blu-ray Watchmen that Blockbuster had. I'll either watch it later tonight or tomorrow.