ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Berry missed today's practice, back to Day-To-Day. Also Dorian O'Daniel Note (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320226)

JakeF 01-09-2019 03:10 PM

Berry missed today's practice, back to Day-To-Day. Also Dorian O'Daniel Note

Eric Berry misses Wednesday practice, in question for Saturday’s divisional

Guess who’s day to day again.

By Pete Sweeney Jan 9, 2019, 2:10pm CST
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/...ivisional-game

Kansas City Chiefs safety Eric Berry is not practicing Wednesday, the second day of work as the team prepares to take on the Indianapolis Colts on Saturday afternoon in the AFC’s divisional round.

Berry missed practice on Friday, December 28, before he was eventually held out of the Chiefs’ final game of the season against the Oakland Raiders. Berry practiced limitedly to start this week on Tuesday, which many felt was a good sign, but he could not participate on Wednesday as he deals with his lingering heel injury.

“It’s difficult from the standpoint of he’s a real critical part of our team,” defensive coordinator Bob Sutton said when asked about the uncertainty surrounding the three-time All-Pro. “He’s an outstanding player. He’s one of our true leaders, the guys rally around him, so I think that part is always hard. You get caught up in different things in the season. But also, if you stick back for a second, you say, ‘Man, this is really hard on this guy, too, as a player. This is something he loves to do. He’s been really good at it, and as difficult as it is on us as a defensive unit or us as a team, I think for him, it’s really challenging.’

“So it’s just what it is. There’s not a lot you can do about it, and every week we’ve got our fingers crossed and hope that he can make it back and go. It’s truly—I know you guys get tired of hearing this—it really is a day to day to day thing here right now, the way it’s playing out. You just got to stay in there and go and figure out how to get other guys ready in case he can’t go.”

Berry was originally held out of the Chiefs’ first 13 games with what the team described as a sore heel, though reports, which have never been confirmed (nor denied) said Berry has what is called a “Haglund’s deformity.”

Berry eventually returned to the lineup to play 30 snaps Week 15 against the Los Angeles Chargers and played 69 snaps Week 16 against the Seattle Seahawks before what has appeared to be some sort of setback.

Sutton was asked Wednesday about who would replace Berry and linebacker Dorian O’Daniel, who hasn’t practiced at all this week, if they couldn’t play against the Colts.

Without Berry in a must-win game against the Raiders when it came to playoff home-field advantage, the safety snap count breakdown was as follows: Daniel Sorensen (63), Eric Murray (33), Jordan Lucas (32) and Ron Parker (6).

In the above breakdown, it is important to note that Sorensen and Lucas earned the start. Lucas suffered a stinger, and the Chiefs eventually removed starters in a 35-3 blowout.

It remains to be seen who the Chiefs start against the Colts if Berry cannot play once again.

A note on Dorian O’Daniel

#Chiefs special teams coordinator Dave Toub on LB Dorian O’Daniel, who has missed two practices this week: “He’s a four-phase starter for us. He’s an important guy, so we’re keeping an eye on that one, pretty close.”

“I wouldn’t tell you,” he initially said with a smile. “We have to work guys in, obviously, and just see where guys are. The one good thing is you’re at the point of the season where if you do have to miss some reps and you get better toward to the end of the week, this is probably the time to do it. We just have to kind of roll guys through, which we try to do, anyway, but when you have a guy in question, you have to say, ‘OK,’ because that usually affects somebody else.

“Sometimes that affects special teams ... It’s going to affect Dave (Toub) and what he’s putting together, so you got to kind of stay on top of that as a total staff, too. But we just got to slide and we’ve got some different options, but we kind of have to wait and see where it’s at.”

Prison Bitch 01-09-2019 03:11 PM

Can anyone embed Beck’s video “Loser”?

KCrockaholic 01-09-2019 03:13 PM

I'm kinda just done with EB as a player. Done fooling around with him.

JakeF 01-09-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 14020962)
Can anyone embed Beck’s video “Loser”?

<iframe width="240" height="160" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cg78BgLeQWc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ModSocks 01-09-2019 03:16 PM

That doesn't sound too promising.

Prison Bitch 01-09-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 14020970)
<iframe width="240" height="160" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cg78BgLeQWc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thank you.

In58men 01-09-2019 03:19 PM

Didn’t we already know this?

This was mentioned in 2 different threads and now we have this thread?

ModSocks 01-09-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 14020997)
Didn’t we already know this?

This was mentioned in 2 different threads and now we have this thread?

It's a new article with quotes from Sutton and Toub. Not just some tweet from a beat writer.

Thread approved.

TinyEvel 01-09-2019 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 14020958)

“So it’s just what it is. There’s not a lot you can do about it, and every week we’ve got our fingers crossed and hope that he can make it back and go. It’s truly—I know you guys get tired of hearing this—it really is a day to day to day thing here right now, the way it’s playing out. You just got to stay in there and go and figure out how to get other guys ready in case he can’t go.”

Really bad news, guys. They've added another day to his condition.

He was day to day

now he is day to day to day.

dayum.

O.city 01-09-2019 03:26 PM

But I was told they were just resting him?

Sassy Squatch 01-09-2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 14021011)

He was day to day

dayum.

NOOOoooooOOOOOoooooOOOOOOOO

staylor26 01-09-2019 03:29 PM

Kinda dishonest to say he’s “back to day to day”

Sutton used those words and it clearly wasn’t an official injury report by any means

O.city 01-09-2019 03:29 PM

Dj had it right in another thread.

He'll have surgery 3 days after they lose or after the SB, which will assure him being on the roster and guarantee his money next year.

He'll miss TC and be in a situation similar to Houston a few years back and maybe play 6 games next year.

suzzer99 01-09-2019 03:30 PM

"day to day" means unless there's a miracle he won't play.

dlphg9 01-09-2019 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14021013)
But I was told they were just resting him?

Where does it sayxhe reinjured it or its hurting?

suzzer99 01-09-2019 03:30 PM

Really makes you think twice about signing Chris Jones or Dee Ford to a big contract.

O.city 01-09-2019 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 14021029)
Where does it sayxhe reinjured it or its hurting?

Well, when it says he couldn't participate today because of it, that's pretty self explanatory.

King_Chief_Fan 01-09-2019 03:37 PM

This Berry crap is a major joke.
He isn't needed. He hasn't done anything for this team
In 2 years.
Not interested in "but he is injured" dialogue.
When isn't he injured?

Shame on fat Andy for misleading the fans and mishandling the situation

ptlyon 01-09-2019 03:41 PM

DaFace - YOU BASTARD! :)

threebag 01-09-2019 03:42 PM

WWGD?

DaFace 01-09-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 14020969)
I'm kinda just done with EB as a player. Done fooling around with him.

Same. I wish he could be out there, but I wonder if we would have been better off just leaving him on IR from the beginning. He's a constant distraction (at least for fans - he may be fine for the team as a "coach".)

saphojunkie 01-09-2019 03:43 PM

WTF is that DoD quote

The Franchise 01-09-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14021064)
Same. I wish he could be out there, but I wonder if we would have been better off just leaving him on IR from the beginning. He's a constant distraction (at least for fans - he may be fine for the team as a "coach".)

He wasn't ever on IR.

DaFace 01-09-2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 14021071)
He wasn't ever on IR.

I know. I think he should have been, and never come off of it.

The Franchise 01-09-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14021087)
I know. I think he should have been, and never come off of it.

I think the plan might have been to put him on IR but then they lost Sorensen and didn't want to have to waste both return spots on two safeties.

KCJake 01-09-2019 03:58 PM

shit. All year long I was one of the few that wasn't flipping out about this guy missing time. "Save him for the playoffs" sounded good to me. Well here we are. If this guy doesn't take a shot and play well Sunday, *uck him!

threebag 01-09-2019 04:00 PM

Haglunds 16.6

Berry 1.4

Spirit 0.0

WWGD?

007 01-09-2019 04:02 PM

As I've said before. They got here without him. They can finish without him.

htismaqe 01-09-2019 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14021135)
As I've said before. They got here without him. They can finish without him.

Yep. Eric who?

In58men 01-09-2019 04:36 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...27993b01be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ILChief 01-09-2019 07:45 PM

I hope Veach approaches this off-season assuming Berry will never play again and drafts and signs free agents accordingly. If he gives you anything great but you can't rely on him

TribalElder 01-09-2019 07:46 PM

Bummer

this day to day stuff is a distraction

jimidollar 01-09-2019 08:10 PM

Oh well. Team is 0-2 with him on the field this year. No great loss.

notorious 01-09-2019 08:12 PM

I don’t give a shit anymore.

Graystoke 01-09-2019 08:26 PM

Not surprised.
So much bullshit, the way we have been lead to the belief he was going to be our Playoff Defense Saviour.

Done caring

CoMoChief 01-09-2019 08:36 PM

I don't expect Berry to be a factor at all in the playoffs, however far the Chiefs advance.

I also think this will be Berry's last season as a Chief.

There is absolutely zero reason to keep him post June1. The Chiefs are much better off just eating his cap hit.

NJChiefsFan 01-09-2019 08:41 PM

Having him on the field to help on Ebron at all would really help. Just being a coach on the field, being decent in coverage against TE's, and with the run once in a while would be a major improvement. Don't even need the old Berry. Not holding my breath though.

TomBarndtsTwin 01-09-2019 08:42 PM

I guess the ‘spirit’ is not feeling it this week . . . .

(somewhere Ronnie Lott is just shaking his head)

Rain Man 01-09-2019 08:43 PM

Hypothetical question here, but can you amputate a heel?

threebag 01-09-2019 09:25 PM

http://thefw.com/files/2013/05/Icestorm.gif

Can he play in a pair of Heelys?

PHOG 01-09-2019 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14021027)

He'll have surgery 3 days after they lose or after the SB, which will assure him being on the roster and guarantee his money next year.

He'll miss TC and be in a situation similar to Houston a few years back and maybe play 6 games next year.

6 games...6 games...you kidding me?....6 games...are you nuts?...6 games??

Flying High D 01-09-2019 09:41 PM

Might be alittle to chilly to crawl out of the underpass this weekend.

Flying High D 01-09-2019 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHOG (Post 14021811)
6 games...6 games...you kidding me?....6 games...are you nuts?...6 games??

Will we be able to make the playoffs at 10-6? Every game he plays they lose. The less games he plays in the better the record.

POND_OF_RED 01-09-2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 14021011)

He was day to day

dayum.

He means we really only need him for 3 days technically. Interesting Freudian slip.

Let’s hope it’s smoke and mirrors. He looked pretty disruptive in the first half of that Chargers game. If we could get that production out of him for the playoff push I would be happy. Still holding on to my delusions that he’ll somehow return to his all-pro self again when that playoff atmosphere hits his spirit.

BlackOp 01-10-2019 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14021027)

I'm not sure that having surgery for a non-football related, chronic heel condition would guarantee his 2019 money...

I would have to think there is some form of stipulation...I dont think he can just do it without informing them. Chiefs could designate him for release the day before before he has the procedure.

For the 2018 season...Berry made $130,000 per play. Pretty good gig...$1,625,000 per tackle. Players get $27,000 for a divisional game...he's was like "**** that chump change".

Chief Pagan 01-10-2019 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 14021031)
Really makes you think twice about signing Chris Jones or Dee Ford to a big contract.

I would think twice about signing Hill to a mega contract. Instead of having a single elite WR, I think I would rather have 2 top WRs and figure at least one will be healthy.

jaa1025 01-10-2019 12:38 AM

Quote:

Chris Jones, yes. I'd sign him to a big contract. He doesn't have an injury history and it would be his second contract. He had the best season for interior lineman outside of Donald. He's going to get paid.

Ford, no way I sign him to a big contract but I'd tag him in a heartbeat. He's already said he'd sign the tag. With his injury history I wouldn't touch him. (I didn't want to sign Houston or Berry for the exact same reason)

dlphg9 01-10-2019 12:46 AM

Jones, Hill, Kelce, and Mahomes of course are the players I would pay hugggggeeeeee contracts too. I'd make Mahomes, Hill, and Kelce the highest paid players at their positions. Mahomes would get the biggest contract ever.

BlackOp 01-10-2019 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 14021991)
I would think twice about signing Hill to a mega contract. Instead of having a single elite WR, I think I would rather have 2 top WRs and figure at least one will be healthy.

I wouldn't...he's shown he can stay healthy. He has generational speed and improved every season.

There is no other player in the NFL quite like him...

THIS is the type of player you pay...thinking twice about paying an injury-prone Watkins $16 million would have been a good idea though.

Baby Lee 01-10-2019 01:18 AM

Quote:

We should just go all-in on our strategy and predicate all contract negotiations on a free sideline opportunity to watch Mahomes play.

Bump 01-10-2019 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 14021997)
Jones, Hill, Kelce, and Mahomes of course are the players I would pay hugggggeeeeee contracts too. I'd make Mahomes, Hill, and Kelce the highest paid players at their positions. Mahomes would get the biggest contract ever.

my thoughts exactly. I don't have any issue paying those guys big. Mahomes can get a $200 mill contract for all I care, as long as he stays here forever.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-10-2019 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCJake (Post 14021113)
shit. All year long I was one of the few that wasn't flipping out about this guy missing time. "Save him for the playoffs" sounded good to me. Well here we are. If this guy doesn't take a shot and play well Sunday, *uck him!

Yeah, and everyone who vehemently defended this dumbassed fiasco, at every point of the promise of return, as the bar kept getting pushed further and further away, now just say, "oh well".

**** those twats. LMAO

SuperBowl4 01-10-2019 03:33 AM

The :arrow: should release EB before Saturdays game. Move on. GO :arrow:!

BlackOp 01-10-2019 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 14022034)
Yeah, and everyone who vehemently defended this dumbassed fiasco, at every point of the promise of return, as the bar kept getting pushed further and further away, now just say, "oh well".

**** those twats. LMAO

TY Hilton has been too injured to practice for like 5 straight weeks...but still has played in every game.

Must be nice to have a player willing to risk playing through pain...sad part is Berry isn't really "injured"...its just his heels hurts.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-10-2019 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 14022046)
TY Hilton has been too injured to practice for like 5 straight weeks...but still has played in every game.

Must be nice to have a player willing to risk playing through pain...sad part is Berry isn't really "injured"...its just his heels hurts.

But what can you do? We can only accept what the Chiefs give us to work with, right?
:rolleyes:

Chiefs Moon 01-10-2019 05:19 AM

Surgery for Berry's condition was the only option from the beginning.

InChiefsHeaven 01-10-2019 06:21 AM

Aside from looking rather promising in his limited playing time this year, dude is living on a 3 year old reputation. We got here without him. It would be nice if he played, but we'd be hoping that 2 years out of football and two years older that he'd still be the same effective guy he was from before.

Bye Eric. Seriously, love what you did 3 years ago.

Gravedigger 01-10-2019 06:33 AM

After we win the Super Bowl I expect the Clarks to transport him to the surgery room and get that shit fixed.

threebag 01-10-2019 06:50 AM

At this point rather just have Lin Elliot bounce him off the upright. Thanks for the EB29 three years ago.

InChiefsHeaven 01-10-2019 06:58 AM

Seriously, if you are him, you HAVE to know how bad this has looked really all season. Then he makes the "spirit" comment...they won't say anything other than it's a "sore heel" and it's "Day to day to day"...They need to fix their messaging, because a sore heel is something that people live with and work through every day. Jeez...call it what it is, a chronic issue that does not allow him to perform. Injury settlement, make him a coach, call it a day.

Flying High D 01-10-2019 07:06 AM

He has taken a magical season and tried his best to piss all over it.

KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN 01-10-2019 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 14022081)
After we win the Super Bowl I expect the Clarks to transport him to the surgery room and get that shit fixed.

Make his Superbowl ring a toe ring so he can be reminded of the misery his foot caused everybody this season!:shake:

RealSNR 01-10-2019 07:42 AM

Play Berry until he snaps.

Then throw him in the dumpster.

I don't ****ing care anymore. I'm done. He's not a part of the team. He hasn't been for two seasons. He's not coming back or playing like the guy we paid.

So just use what's left of him and be done.

warrior 01-10-2019 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 14022130)

I don't ****ing care anymore. I'm done. He's not a part of the team. He hasn't been for two seasons. He's not coming back or playing like the guy we paid.

That about where I'm at to-Love the guy's play on the field but we need player's to play.

penguinz 01-10-2019 07:53 AM

Quote:

This is what they should have done from the very beginning. Deal with the pain until it snaps.

They need to make him watch Roadhouse. Dalton: Pain don't hurt.

ptlyon 01-10-2019 07:53 AM

HOW'S HIS FEELS TO DAY

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-10-2019 08:16 AM

Quote:

God I love this. I love this so much that I could literally sit here for hours and envision scenarios in which the Chiefs cram his ass in to a uniform, carry him kicking and screaming to the defensive backfield, and cart him back out there again and again when the "spirit" tries to tell the coaching staff otherwise.

I never envisioned this guy being such a huge disappointment. It's almost surreal.

suzzer99 01-10-2019 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 14021991)

Hill has gutted through injury and done absolutely everything right - also he's a completely unique player and arguably the most dynamic playmaker in the NFL. You take a chance on Hill imo - especially if you can extend him now for cheaper.

O.city 01-10-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

This is what I'd have done. I'm sure Berry didn't want to do that, but at some point, **** man I dunno.

Get some injections and go.

Bwana 01-10-2019 09:34 AM

I can't say I'm surprised by this after what we have seen from the guy for the last two years. I also don't think he's the miracle worker some people seem to think he is either.

I was watching him carefully in the limited time he was on the field this year and he looked slow and was winded constantly. The guy was sucking air like he just got done with a marathon every time he was out there any longer than a few plays in a row.

It's just a shame the Chiefs are saddled with a monster Berry contract again next year, because they have a lot of holes to fill.

FringeNC 01-10-2019 09:38 AM

I'm actually more concerned with Watkins playing than Berry. Guess I've already written off Berry.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-10-2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 14022284)
Hill has gutted through injury and done absolutely everything right - also he's a completely unique player and arguably the most dynamic playmaker in the NFL. You take a chance on Hill imo - especially if you can extend him now for cheaper.

Amen. That kid is an uber-performer.

Marcellus 01-10-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 14021608)
Bummer

this day to day stuff is a distraction

Only to the people here really.

MahiMike 01-10-2019 09:47 AM

99 snaps so far this year. Maybe he wants a bonus for triple digits?

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-10-2019 09:47 AM

It's too bad that there is really no way to find out if any of the other players are unhappy about this situation. These are the times when we REALLY need a good mole in that locker room.

The Franchise 01-10-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

This.

Marcellus 01-10-2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 14022332)
It's too bad that there is really no way to find out if any of the other players are unhappy about this situation. These are the times when we REALLY need a good mole in that locker room.

Go listen to the Dee Ford interview on 610. Nobody on the team is mad about this and to think otherwise is incredibly stupid.

dlphg9 01-10-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 14022359)
Go listen to the Dee Ford interview on 610. Nobody on the team is mad about this and to think otherwise is incredibly stupid.

Yeah because everyone knows the guys in that locker room are constantly talking about problems in the locker room to the media. :drool:

Strongside 01-10-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 14022405)
Yeah because everyone knows the guys in that locker room are constantly talking about problems in the locker room to the media. :drool:

That interview was actually the most real interview I've heard a Chiefs player give in quite some time. Dee went into some pretty good detail about things you don't hear guys talk about a whole lot. Talked about money through a pretty honest lens. It was great.

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-10-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 14022359)

I said "reality" Marcellus, not Dee Ford giving a radio interview where there is no way in all of god's earth, hell, and all points in between that he would dare utter a disparaging remark against a team mate.

There may be resentments that aren't even being vocalized in private. Some guys might be carrying it inside and keeping their lips tight, talking only to other team mates who are not happy, and doing so far away from the facilities.

You never know.