ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs The meeting that brought Andy Reid to Kansas City and changed the Chiefs’ fortunes (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320272)

Sassy Squatch 01-11-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14025134)
Some of that maybe. I think he's one of those guys that needs an all-pro at every level to succeed, kind of like Gunther.

I've always been more of a "it's the players, not the coaching" person anyway but in this case, that certainly seems to be true. When Poe, Houston, and Berry were all in top shape, Sutton was lights out. They started to break down and so did his scheme. You can't build defenses like that, because the stars just don't align all that often.

I think a part of the problem is he expects the guys he has now to do what those guys did in their prime. It's asking a hell of a lot for players with inferior talent to do that.

Prison Bitch 01-11-2019 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 14024984)
You are consistent in your takes. Bad. All Bad. All the time.

Jarring, perhaps. But rarely false.

htismaqe 01-11-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14025150)
I think a part of the problem is he expects the guys he has now to do what those guys did in their prime. It's asking a hell of a lot for players with inferior talent to do that.

Yep. It's very difficult to expect players to completely change to fit a scheme. It's also very difficult to completely overhaul a scheme to fit certain players. There has to be some give and take.

With Bob, it seems to be his way or no way. It's the little things, like having a designated left and right CB. Why not just put your best guy on their best guy? Sometimes it's okay to do things different.

Anyway, the Raiders game was an improvement, let's hope it continues.

Prison Bitch 01-11-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 14025071)
Even with his flaws, you can’t help but love the guy.

If he loses tomorrow, you won’t find a shred of love for him here on CP. and I suspect you’ll be ripping him too, like you did in the Balt game thread (which you were spot-on, by the way)

The Franchise 01-11-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14025150)

What other choice does he have?

RunKC 01-11-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14025146)
Right now, Reid is looking a lot like Marty and that's not a good thing honestly. The Chiefs have had tons of regular season success, now it's time for the postseason.

Fortunately. Andy has something now that neither Marty nor him have EVER had - Patrick Mahomes.

Yup. Tomorrow is a monumental day for Andy.

This is not year 1, 2 or 3. It’s year 6. We’ve achieved our goals of making the playoffs and winning the division. Now it’s time to win playoff games.

If Andy can’t win even one playoff game with HFA and the best QB on the planet, then that should cast serious doubt on if he’ll ever be able to take us to the Super Bowl.

Sassy Squatch 01-11-2019 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 14025178)
What other choice does he have?

Make adjustments? Simplify the defense? When Ward is telling the public he hasn't played until week 16 because he was learning the complicated playbook there's a problem.

DaFace 01-11-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14025193)
Yup. Tomorrow is a monumental day for Andy.

This is not year 1, 2 or 3. It’s year 6. We’ve achieved our goals of making the playoffs and winning the division. Now it’s time to win playoff games.

If Andy can’t win even one playoff game with HFA and the best QB on the planet, then that should cast serious doubt on if he’ll ever be able to take us to the Super Bowl.

I certainly won't be happy if we lose, but I'll wait to see if Sutton sticks around before getting too crazy. If Sutton is gone, that tells me Andy at least knows what needs to be done (even if he's slow to do it).

The Franchise 01-11-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14025198)
Make adjustments? Simplify the defense? When Ward is telling the public he hasn't played until week 16 because he was learning the complicated playbook there's a problem.

Impossible to know if that would have fixed anything.

Sassy Squatch 01-11-2019 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 14025206)
Impossible to know if that would have fixed anything.

I'd take a chance on the unknown over this horrific defense we have now.

htismaqe 01-11-2019 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14025209)
I'd take a chance on the unknown over this horrific defense we have now.

The time to do that was last offseason, unfortunately.

mcaj22 01-11-2019 05:07 PM

Can you imagine who Clark's second candidate was after Andy? That would have been terrible. Somewhere in an alternate plane that scenario exists and it probably brought the apocalypse down on Arrowhead.

htismaqe 01-11-2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 14025268)
Can you imagine who Clark's second candidate was after Andy? That would have been terrible. Somewhere in an alternate plane that scenario exists and it probably brought the apocalypse down on Arrowhead.

The way Hunt was conducting himself at the time, I'm guessing his list had guys like Cowher on it. He was wanting something similar to the Marty years. He took a chance on Pioli and it go him burned badly.

FloridaMan88 01-11-2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 14025268)

Check out this article from right after Romeo was fired and the Chiefs began their HC search... talk about dodging a bullet:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...cott-pioli-now

Quote:

The Atlanta Falcons have granted permission for the Chiefs to interview offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter for their head coach vacancy, sources told ESPN.

The interview will take place on Tuesday. Koetter is permitted to interview this week because the Falcons have a first-round bye in the playoffs. The Chiefs also asked for permission to interview Falcons special teams coach Keith Armstrong, according to a league source.

HemiEd 01-11-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14025115)
He was just fine for the first 4 years. He doesn't know what to do without Poe, Houston, and Berry. Time for him to go away. But it wasn't a bad hire at the time.

Yeah, I was pumped about it at the time. It is kind of funny that the Sutton thing had popped up on my FB memories for today. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage (Post 14025125)
This was a good read. We made a good pitch to the best coach available. We drafted the superstar QB. Let's reap some rewards from those actions

This is why I don't get anyone ever saying that Clark has not tried, or spent the money, or doesn't care. Heck, even Pioli at the time was considered the best and most expensive available.