ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs The meeting that brought Andy Reid to Kansas City and changed the Chiefs’ fortunes (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320272)

htismaqe 01-11-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14024831)
I know he's historically had issues in the postseason, but...

6 years before Andy: 29-67 (30%)
6 years with Andy: 65-31 (68%)

I had just about stopped watching games before he arrived, and he's completely changed that. Hopefully he'll get the playoff monkey off of his back soon, but I'm not going to gripe about having 4 months of good football to watch each year.

Actually, he had a winning record in the playoffs prior to coming to KC. His big bugaboo was the NFC Championship game - he was 1-4 in the championship game.

Sassy Squatch 01-11-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14025053)
Actually, he had a winning record in the playoffs prior to coming to KC. His big bugaboo was the NFC Championship game - he was 1-4 in the championship game.

If we could combine the offensive prowess of Reid/Mahomes with a Jim Johnson level defense we'd be unbeatable.

Imon Yourside 01-11-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14024918)
Heh...oops. Yeah. I'll fix it. Thanks.

I was gonna point that out, but figured it was some weird statistic measurement i had never heard of.

Imon Yourside 01-11-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14025061)
If we could combine the offensive prowess of Reid/Mahomes with a Jim Johnson level defense we'd be unbeatable.

RIP Jim Johnson

of course if Johnson didn't leave Andy would probably still be in Philly. Need to do our best to get rid of Sob Buttons.

notorious 01-11-2019 03:52 PM

Even with his flaws, you can’t help but love the guy.

htismaqe 01-11-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14025061)

That's pretty hard to do in today's NFL, there's only so much scratch to go around. That being said, there's a lot tied up on the defensive side of the ball that can be better used, so there's always hope.

HemiEd 01-11-2019 03:55 PM

And then came this. 6 years ago today.

The Kansas City Chiefs is with Cliff Whisler.
January 11, 2013 at 4:08 PM ·
Chiefs Name Bob Sutton as Defensive Coordinator -

htismaqe 01-11-2019 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 14025083)
And then came this. 6 years ago today.

The Kansas City Chiefs is with Cliff Whisler.
January 11, 2013 at 4:08 PM ·
Chiefs Name Bob Sutton as Defensive Coordinator -

He was just fine for the first 4 years. He doesn't know what to do without Poe, Houston, and Berry. Time for him to go away. But it wasn't a bad hire at the time.

Sassy Squatch 01-11-2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14025115)
He was just fine for the first 4 years. He doesn't know what to do without Poe, Houston, and Berry. Time for him to go away. But it wasn't a bad hire at the time.

I still don't really think he's BAD, per se, but he's gotten very stale. Like the situation with McCarthey or even Reid in Philadelphia, it is just time for a mutual parting of ways.

ChiliConCarnage 01-11-2019 04:07 PM

This was a good read. We made a good pitch to the best coach available. We drafted the superstar QB. Let's reap some rewards from those actions

htismaqe 01-11-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14025122)
I still don't really think he's BAD, per se, but he's gotten very stale. Like the situation with McCarthey or even Reid in Philadelphia, it is just time for a mutual parting of ways.

Some of that maybe. I think he's one of those guys that needs an all-pro at every level to succeed, kind of like Gunther.

I've always been more of a "it's the players, not the coaching" person anyway but in this case, that certainly seems to be true. When Poe, Houston, and Berry were all in top shape, Sutton was lights out. They started to break down and so did his scheme. You can't build defenses like that, because the stars just don't align all that often.

Sassy Squatch 01-11-2019 04:11 PM

Eight teams hired new coaches that cycle. The Chiefs moved first, and best. Reid is the only coach hired that offseason still with his team, and only the Patriots have won more games. Chiefs executives considered themselves lucky that Reid was available, the perfect man at the perfect time.

Pretty damn good run so far and it's only going to get better with Mahomes.

The Franchise 01-11-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14025134)
Some of that maybe. I think he's one of those guys that needs an all-pro at every level to succeed, kind of like Gunther.

I've always been more of a "it's the players, not the coaching" person anyway but in this case, that certainly seems to be true. When Poe, Houston, and Berry were all in top shape, Sutton was lights out. They started to break down and so did his scheme. You can't build defenses like that, because the stars just don't align all that often.

Yep. Dude had an all pro pass rusher, an all pro ILB, an all pro NT and an all pro at safety. That will mask a lot of scheme and talent issues for sure.

htismaqe 01-11-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 14025136)
Eight teams hired new coaches that cycle. The Chiefs moved first, and best. Reid is the only coach hired that offseason still with his team, and only the Patriots have won more games. Chiefs executives considered themselves lucky that Reid was available, the perfect man at the perfect time.

Pretty damn good run so far and it's only going to get better with Mahomes.

Right now, Reid is looking a lot like Marty and that's not a good thing honestly. The Chiefs have had tons of regular season success, now it's time for the postseason.

Fortunately. Andy has something now that neither Marty nor him have EVER had - Patrick Mahomes.

htismaqe 01-11-2019 04:15 PM

And just to be clear, I'm not busting on Reid. I love Andy Reid. Everybody knows I'm not fond of Marty.

Here's where Reid is different - he knew we needed Mahomes and he went out and got him. Marty would have replaced Alex Smith with another retread, he didn't value the QB position the same way Reid does.