ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Thomas Jones to donate brain for study after death (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268964)

WhiteWhale 01-16-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9324213)
I'll spend a few minutes on this, though God knows why because I damn well know it's a waste of time:

1. until the last few years, nobody really understood just how damaging multiple concussions could be to the quality of life of football players post-career. So yes, they understood the risk of injury, but did they understand that multiple concussions might leave them seriously mentally impaired on a daily basis by the time they were 50? Hell no.

'Nobody'? Actually neurologists did know. 'Multiple concussions causes brain damage and increases the chance of future concussions" was something the NFL knew about and lied to their players about for 20 years.

Yet this information was readily available to me as a 16 year old kid doing a high school report over 15 years ago. To say 'nobody knew' is a lie intentional or not. The entire neurological community knew.

I sympathize that the players were lied to, but I'm also somewhat embarrassed that they allowed themselves to be so ignorant they believed these lies that contradicted all medical facts from the qualified community.

beach tribe 01-16-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElGringo (Post 9325064)
One thing that I have heard elsewhere before was the idea of going back to the old time leather helmets and minimal pads. Right now the NFL players use their bodies as weapons because they are wearing suits of armor. Back when they had minimal padding, they had to learn the real fundamentals of the game and how to attack in control so no one got hurt. While I don't think this is THE ANSWER, I do believe there is some merit to this line of thought.

Nice Post. It actually make sense. I had a discussion with a rugby fan who said that NFL players were pussies for even wearing helmets and pads. I argued that those helmets and pads actually increase the violent impacts in the game, and I'll bet if they did a study, they would find that there are fewer CCn's in rugby because people would not lead with their heads if they didn't have those helmets on, and there's no way you can hit with the force that they do in the NFL without the pads. I do think there would be MANY fewer concussions if they were not wearing so much equipment.

DaneMcCloud 01-16-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9325367)
And I'm the dick? ROFL

You couldnt spend 2 weeks in the military you pussy. Stick to being a message board tough guy with your name calling. We will handle the tough shit.

Oh shit. I didn't know you were a tough guy.

Wow. So cool.

nychief 01-16-2013 04:26 PM

Bad omens for the future of the game, that is for sure.

BlackHelicopters 01-16-2013 05:45 PM

Wasn't Jones a Harvard graduate?

New World Order 01-16-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9326138)
Wasn't Jones a Harvard graduate?

My god how many times did we hear "Thomas Jones graduated in only 3 years." Every single game he would play that is the first thing they would say about jones.