ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Game of Thrones *Spoiler* Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257986)

vailpass 04-09-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 8527291)
Wow. So some interesting changes last night. Can someone help refresh my memory regarding the last two scenes?

Is there even any hint in the book that Stannis and Melisandre are hooking up? Doesn't that sort of smash his super pious and pure image. I remember part of his stubbornness in the books was rooted in that sort of unwavering purity. Seems like he can't be as judgmental and righteous if he's banging the red witch.

Also, I know some kind of variation of that scene with Craster and Jon Snow takes place but it's been so long, I can't how it all goes down in the book. But what we saw last night was way different, right - and way early?

That bone-the-red-witch-on-the-war table scene was definitely not in the book. Seemed like some HBO-inspired T&A to me. Hope they don't go the TrueBlood route and substitute story line for ass (not that nice ginger ass isn't good).

Red Brooklyn 04-09-2012 12:09 PM

Why can I not remember who takes over the city guard after Janos in the book? I'm totally blanking...

AndChiefs 04-09-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 8527512)
Why can I not remember who takes over the city guard after Janos in the book? I'm totally blanking...

Bywater.

Red Brooklyn 04-09-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndChiefs (Post 8527517)
Bywater.

Thank you! Man... I should really re-read those books. Maybe after Season 2.

Jawshco 04-09-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 8527308)
Stannis and Mel, there were some hints, but it was never stated expressly and does seem out of character with Stannis (though we also have been led to believe that Ned fatehred a bastard, so apparently honor doesn't always include faithfulness to wife). I guess they felt it was needed to explain the shadow she's about to birth.

Jon finds out that the sons of Craster are left as sacrifices to the others in the books, but nothing like this where he sees it or gets knocked out. Just adding some drama to the show since the action with Jon doesn't really pick up until later in book two.

Bronn as leader of the city guard. Very different, but I like it as it clearly shows the city watch are now Tyrion's without having to go into painful detail or introduce another new character.

There are some pretty strong hints about Stannis and Melisandre, so that didn't bother me so much. Still they are undoubtedly going the True Blood way by upping the T&A. They added a whore character that's not even in the book - which I don't really care for (wiping the jizm off the other girls face that was covering for her was pretty funny).
Overall, though I don't mind the changes and they seem to have the blessing of GRRM-who. Is actually writing an episode this season. For the most part they seem like the right changes that balances out the needs of the readers and non-readers.

Speaking of True Blood - my buddy from the Joplin, MO area got cast to play a character in the upcoming season. Can't stand that show, but I'll have to check it out. He's pretty good actor. Probably just a bit part so I can stop watching when gets killed off.

vailpass 04-09-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 8527538)
There are some pretty strong hints about Stannis and Melisandre, so that didn't bother me so much. Still they are undoubtedly going the True Blood way by upping the T&A. They added a whore character that's not even in the book - which I don't really care for (wiping the jizm off the other girls face that was covering for her was pretty funny).
Overall, though I don't mind the changes and they seem to have the blessing of GRRM-who. Is actually writing an episode this season. For the most part they seem like the right changes that balances out the needs of the readers and non-readers.

Speaking of True Blood - my buddy from the Joplin, MO area got cast to play a character in the upcoming season. Can't stand that show, but I'll have to check it out. He's pretty good actor. Probably just a bit part so I can stop watching when gets killed off.

Tell your buddy to watch his ass. Everyone else will be.

Jawshco 04-10-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8527550)
Tell your buddy to watch his ass. Everyone else will be.

Ha! Okay, I'll tell him. Here's his IMDB if you're interested. http://m.imdb.com/name/nm2028579/

Pasta Little Brioni 04-10-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 8511493)
Yeah Melisandre just doesn't seem foreboding and/or seductive enough for me. Maybe if they'd have kept her red eyes. I feel like she should have a voice like Galadriel in TLotR.

And Stannis was BORING, although he's described as such when Loras said "Stannis has the personality of a lobster."

Duh.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-10-2012 08:13 AM

Where is Patchface!!! Who knows, who knows???? Oh, oh, oh...

TrickyNicky 04-10-2012 08:27 AM

No Moon Boy either... only Dontos.

Red Brooklyn 04-10-2012 11:18 AM

HBO green-lights Season Three!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1400121.html

Jawshco 04-10-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 8529767)
Where is Patchface!!! Who knows, who knows???? Oh, oh, oh...

T&A is more PC than portraying people with disabilities I would guess. It would be tough to pull off Patchface in the show, and no Shireen. Stannis apparently has no children in the show. However, I think I did see Robert's bastard son with Stannis- but it's just my guess that it's him. I don't think they said his name.

keg in kc 04-10-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 8530856)
T&A is more PC than portraying people with disabilities I would guess. It would be tough to pull off Patchface in the show, and no Shireen. Stannis apparently has no children in the show. However, I think I did see Robert's bastard son with Stannis- but it's just my guess that it's him. I don't think they said his name.

Gendry shouldn't be anywhere near Stannis. He should be with Arya all the way beyond Harrenhal, and then part of the brotherhood without banners with Lord Baric.

Third Eye 04-10-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8530896)
Gendry shouldn't be anywhere near Stannis. He should be with Arya all the way beyond Harrenhal, and then part of the brotherhood without banners with Lord Baric.

There's more than one bastard son. This one is Edric Storm.

Jawshco 04-10-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 8531343)
There's more than one bastard son. This one is Edric Storm.

Correct, I was thinking of Edric not Gendry. Just couldn't think of his name off the top of my head.

AndChiefs 04-11-2012 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 8527536)
Thank you! Man... I should really re-read those books. Maybe after Season 2.

I'm reading book 2 again right now. Interesting to see the parallels each week as they happen.

Shag 04-11-2012 08:12 AM

Not a big fan of making Bronn the captain of the gold cloaks. I don't feel like it would be in his character to accept that role...

NewChief 04-11-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 8532665)
Not a big fan of making Bronn the captain of the gold cloaks. I don't feel like it would be in his character to accept that role...

That really bothered my coworker as well. He didn't think that Tywin would support Tyrion in that play either (outright getting rid of Slynt and appointing his own man).

I'm, personally, not bothered by it, but I'm at peace with the fact that they're going to have to make some significant changes to streamline the story as it progresses.

Hawk 04-11-2012 09:49 AM

I didn't have a problem with it, it avoids yet another character but still conveys that Tyrion now controls the City Watch which is consistent with the book.

Red Brooklyn 04-11-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 8532894)
I didn't have a problem with it, it avoids yet another character but still conveys that Tyrion now controls the City Watch which is consistent with the book.

Exactly. I wasn't bothered at all. I actually liked it. And like, NewChief, I'm aware that changes have to be made. This one is fine.

Hammock Parties 04-11-2012 11:41 AM

Hilarious. Scene is from first season.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5AymyHLQgBQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 04-12-2012 10:56 AM

Episode titles, for what they're worth:
Quote:

201: The North Remembers
Written by David Benioff & D.B Weiss, directed by Alan Taylor
Airdate: 1 April 2012

202: The Night Lands
Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, directed by Alan Taylor
Airdate: 8 April 2012

203: What is Dead May Never Die
Written by Bryan Cogman, directed by Alik Sakharov
Airdate: 15 April 2012

204: Garden of Bones
Written by Vanessa Taylor, directed by David Petrarca
Airdate: 22 April 2012

205: The Ghost of Harrenhal
Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, directed by David Petrarca
Airdate: 29 April 2012

206: The Old Gods and the New
Written by Vanessa Taylor, directed by David Nutter
Airdate: 6 May 2012

207: A Man Without Honor
Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, directed by David Nutter
Airdate: 13 May 2012

208: The Prince of Winterfell
Airdate: 20 May 2012

209: Blackwater
Written by George R.R. Martin, directed by Neil Marshall
Airdate: 27 May 2012

210: Valar Morghulis
Airdate: 3 June 2012

Red Brooklyn 04-12-2012 10:58 AM

201: The North Remembers
Written by David Benioff & D.B Weiss, directed by Alan Taylor
Airdate: 1 April 2012

202: The Night Lands
Airdate: 8 April 2012

203: What is Dead May Never Die
Written by Bryan Cogman, directed by Alik Sakharov
Airdate: 15 April 2012

204: Garden of Bones
Written by Vanessa Taylor, directed by David Petrarca
Airdate: 22 April 2012

205: The Ghost of Harrenhal
Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, directed by David Petrarca
Airdate: 29 April 2012

206: The Old Gods and the New
Written by Vanessa Taylor, directed by David Nutter
Airdate: 6 May 2012

207: A Man Without Honor
Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, directed by David Nutter
Airdate: 13 May 2012

208: The Prince of Winterfell
Airdate: 20 May 2012

209: Blackwater
Written by George R.R. Martin, directed by Neil Marshall
Airdate: 27 May 2012

210: Valar Morghulis
Airdate: 3 June 2012

Want!

Bowser 04-12-2012 12:30 PM

The budget for this show is likely enormous, but they would really do themselves a favor in regards to the storytelling by upping the episodes to like 15 a season.

Hawk 04-12-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 8536481)
The budget for this show is likely enormous, but they would really do themselves a favor in regards to the storytelling by upping the episodes to like 15 a season.

It will be better when they split book 3 into two seasons, or at least one and a half.

Red Brooklyn 04-12-2012 01:58 PM

I know we're YEARS away and it's been talked to death... but I'm really interested to see how they handle Books 4 & 5 on screen.

Jawshco 04-13-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 8536481)

True but one reason for hurrying the story along is the ages of the young actors. It's fine that they went older than the books, but it does give them less time. Jackie Gleason is already getting taller than I ever envisioned Joffrey being. By Season 3 he's going to look almost grown-up, which might make some of the story elements problematic.

Bowser 04-15-2012 11:42 PM

I call bullshit. Margaery Tyrell would turn any gay man straight.

Fairplay 04-15-2012 11:46 PM

I'm only on season one but the two q_ueers were fast forwarded,
no one wants to witness that filth.

Bowser 04-15-2012 11:54 PM

The differnces in the show from the book are becoming more pronounced now. I did like the scene where Theon makes his choice and burns the letter to Robb, the idiot. ANd Tyrion making the Small Council dance his dance was entertaining, as well. Didn't Pycelle actually get the snip job in the book?

Bowser 04-16-2012 12:35 AM

http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/...r_01_super.jpg

BLAM Renly, you're no longer gay, nttiawwt.

Hawk 04-16-2012 07:12 AM

I don't need Loras and Renly making out, but Margery Tyrell was excellent (and hot!), so that made up for it a little bit. I loved it when she asked him if he wanted her brother to get him started or if he wanted her to turn over so he could pretend she was Loras. Awesome!

They did a good job handling Tyrion's little game which could have been very confusing but wasn't. Pycell's beard being cut follows the book, as does his admission to being involved in John Arryn's death which is what started everything when Robert replaced him with Ned.

We are at the part where the Reed siblings would come in if they are going to, so I guess we'll find out in the next episode or two whether they will even have those characters. The conversation between Bran and Maester Luwin was almost word for word from the book.

Theon's part was also well done I thought. They covered a lot in a short time as far as understanding Theon. He really is stuck a bit between competing loyalties, and you can't blame him for siding with his family I guess, but his ultimate actions are still unforgivable.

Arya's part was good too, Yoren was great, killing a bunch of them after getting shot by the arrow.

The differences from the book are actually good to me. They advance the plot in the right way most of the time to remain consistent with the book, but they keep it interesting for me. But less guys kising, ick.

TrickyNicky 04-16-2012 11:31 AM

The trick photography and fixed perspectives they used for Brienne made her look at least 6" taller than she actually is. She looked ginormous.

KChiefer 04-16-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky (Post 8545818)
The trick photography and fixed perspectives they used for Brienne made her look at least 6" taller than she actually is. She looked ginormous.

I'd say the hard part is making her look bulky and masculine which they did well with her armor, her bow-legged walk, and that awful haircut. The actress is 6'3". Give hear some lifts and she'll tower above many actors.

Jawshco 04-16-2012 12:49 PM

That actress playing Brienne is pretty tall. I remember seeing her in heels in Dr Parnassus' Imaginarium. She looked gigantic then too, but hotter.

No they announced awhile back during the casting that the Reeds were not going to be in the show. Bran's companions will be Hodor and Osha. No clue what they intend to do with Rickon.

Episode 3 was great. Good mix of characters and action. Tyrion's "double coin" of Pycelle's whore had me busting up laughing. Dinkledge rocks. Also loved Caetlin's bit of acting with Renly. She's seeming more likable this season. Only little disappointed that Sansa was such a little snot to Shae. This is where I started liking Sansa more in the book. But I suppose it does make sense if they're setting up for certain future events.

NewChief 04-16-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 8546018)
That actress playing Brienne is pretty tall. I remember seeing her in heels in Dr Parnassus' Imaginarium. She looked gigantic then too, but hotter.

No they announced awhile back during the casting that the Reeds were not going to be in the show. Bran's companions will be Hodor and Osha. No clue what they intend to do with Rickon.

Episode 3 was great. Good mix of characters and action. Tyrion's "double coin" of Pycelle's whore had me busting up laughing. Dinkledge rocks. Also loved Caetlin's bit of acting with Renly. She's seeming more likable this season. Only little disappointed that Sansa was such a little snot to Shae. This is where I started liking Sansa more in the book. But I suppose it does make sense if they're setting up for certain future events.

I never started liking Sansa in the books. I think they're making her way more likeable in the series. I almost feel sorry for her, whereas I just wanted her to DIAF in the books. She was pretty shitty in the Shae scene, though.

Hawk 04-16-2012 12:56 PM

Well, Sansa would have every reason to be rude to a strange girl in her room claiming to be a hand maiden but having no idea what to do. Very suspicious. She would asssume Cersei or Joffrey sent her to spy on her... or worse.

Baby Lee 04-16-2012 02:14 PM

I'm 1/2way through the 3rd book, how long before there's more exposition/reveal on

Spoiler!

vailpass 04-16-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 8546231)
I'm 1/2way through the 3rd book, how long before there's more exposition/reveal on

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

petegz28 04-16-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 8546018)

Not having the Reeds ****s it all up. That's a huge mistake if they do that.

AndChiefs 04-16-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8546509)

I agree

Jawshco 04-17-2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8546509)

I like them, but I wouldn't say it's a huge mistake so much as a disappointment for me. They're not exactly vital characters and the latest books haven't done much to increase their importance the way I had imagined it would increase when I first read Clash.

keg in kc 04-17-2012 06:31 AM

<object id="flashObj" width="600" height="450" classid="clsid:D<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1563631087001&playerID=111285850001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAFOjEdNk~,Ccf1BJmYkhML2OA3FEsF4-tPam_YW9WW&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1563631087001&playerID=111285850001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAFOjEdNk~,Ccf1BJmYkhML2OA3F EsF4-tPam_YW9WW&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="600" height="450" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

Hawk 04-17-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 8547672)
I like them, but I wouldn't say it's a huge mistake so much as a disappointment for me. They're not exactly vital characters and the latest books haven't done much to increase their importance the way I had imagined it would increase when I first read Clash.

Agreed, they seem to go nowhere as characters in the end, especially if Bran basically becomes part of the weirwood trees like the other guy. Jojen is about to die, and Meera will be left pretty much on her own in the far far north. Kind of depressing really. Granted, that may change in future books, but from what we've seen so far, I could understand the decision to leave them out to save money on casting (this cast is already huge and getting huger) and to avoid having soooo many characters that audiences have to learn and care about, and to leave off a couple of sad character arcs.

duncan_idaho 04-17-2012 09:31 AM

Loved the interaction between Tyrion, Shagga and Bronn this week.

"There are no goats here, halfman!"

"Well, make do!"

Fantastic, and great, great work by Peter Dinklage.

I like the Reeds, but I think cutting them from the show was smart (just like making Bronn the captain of the city watch). It compacts the story and reduces the number of characters to keep track of, important things for TV. It also lets them lean even more heavily on Bran's "special nature" than Martin does. Which will be cool for that character's development.

Red Brooklyn 04-18-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 8545077)
I loved it when she asked him if he wanted her brother to get him started or if he wanted her to turn over so he could pretend she was Loras. Awesome!

Such a great scene! I really like getting to see more of the characters on screen that don't have POVs in the books. I love how Martin keeps planting that Margery is an expert player in the game of thrones; she knows so much more and appears to be more than she seems.The show is doing a great job of fleshing her out (no pun intended!) as well as Renly, Robb and Varis.

Quote:

They did a good job handling Tyrion's little game which could have been very confusing but wasn't. Pycell's beard being cut follows the book, as does his admission to being involved in John Arryn's death which is what started everything when Robert replaced him with Ned.

I think this scene along with Arya and Yoren, Sansa and Cersei at dinner and Varis's speech to Tyrion are among some of the strongest scenes in the series so far. This was a really great character episode. It set up a lot without feeling like exposition. It had a great pace and a wonderful sense of tension throughout. I don't think it ever got confusing or contrived.

Quote:

We are at the part where the Reed siblings would come in if they are going to, so I guess we'll find out in the next episode or two whether they will even have those characters. The conversation between Bran and Maester Luwin was almost word for word from the book.

Yeah, I loved how word for word that scene was. I was smiling from ear to ear. I'm not missing the Reeds at all. If they don't end up in this thing, I'll be fine with that cut.

Quote:

Theon's part was also well done I thought. They covered a lot in a short time as far as understanding Theon. He really is stuck a bit between competing loyalties, and you can't blame him for siding with his family I guess, but his ultimate actions are still unforgivable.

I still hate the ****er. But showing the burning of the letter was a master stroke. Really helps add some sympathy to Theon. And he's gonna need as much as he can get moving forward. That shot of him burning the letter was so gorgeous. Just Theon and the letter surrounded by complete, blackness. This show doesn't get enough credit for being pretty. I'd hang that scene in a frame on my wall.

Quote:

Arya's part was good too, Yoren was great, killing a bunch of them after getting shot by the arrow.

I already miss Yoren. That's one thing about the show that sucks, I have to watch these people die all over again. Boo! Also, in the book, I can't remember, does Yoren tell Arya about saying his brother's name every night before bed? Does he give her that idea? I didn't recall that in the book and that blew my mind last night. I thought that was a wonderful way to take something internal and make it external. And it's a great way to sort of honor Yoren as well. Just awesome.

Quote:

The differences from the book are actually good to me. They advance the plot in the right way most of the time to remain consistent with the book, but they keep it interesting for me.

Agreed.

Hawk 04-18-2012 12:32 PM

Yoren does not tell Arya that in the book, and their relatiosnship was not as close seeming as the on-screen relationship. In the book, he whips her legs so hard with the side of his sword after she beats up Lommy or Hot Pie (I forget which) that she bleeds. He doesn't listen to her when she says they should not stay at the keep, and she's too scared of him to really argue further, then he dies. The name prayer of people she wants dead is not Yoren's idea, she just starts doing it so she won't forget them.

I like the show Yoren much better, and their relationship was better. I liked him telling her about the names and thought that worked well to explain why she does it because otherwise, since she does it alone, she'd have to talk to herself or something. She may do that anyway, but it will give it a little more impact, especially when she does it even after Yoren told her how it drove him crazy and then caused him to have to run to the wall.

Red Brooklyn 04-18-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 8551323)
Yoren does not tell Arya that in the book, and their relatiosnship was not as close seeming as the on-screen relationship. In the book, he whips her legs so hard with the side of his sword after she beats up Lommy or Hot Pie (I forget which) that she bleeds. He doesn't listen to her when she says they should not stay at the keep, and she's too scared of him to really argue further, then he dies. The name prayer of people she wants dead is not Yoren's idea, she just starts doing it so she won't forget them.

I like the show Yoren much better, and their relationship was better. I liked him telling her about the names and thought that worked well to explain why she does it because otherwise, since she does it alone, she'd have to talk to herself or something. She may do that anyway, but it will give it a little more impact, especially when she does it even after Yoren told her how it drove him crazy and then caused him to have to run to the wall.

Exactly. I loved the device. I didn't think Yoren did that in the book. But it was a brilliant way to take something that is revealed internally in the book and make it an external conversation. Great writing. Great device.

I'd kinda forgotten how big of dick Yoren is in the books. Or rather, how tough he is on Arya.

Setsuna 04-18-2012 03:22 PM

After finishing the first 2 books, I've concluded I only want Jon and Arya to live. The rest can die, especially Sansa. I was tired of her character halfway through A Game of Thrones.

Hawk 04-18-2012 03:58 PM

Does anyone think it may be foreshadowing that all of the Starks, even Jon, have POV chapters except Robb and Rickon? Robb is not a POV because none of the kings in the story have ever been POV's. Rickon may just be too young for one, or perhaps he has not had a POV because he is the one destined to be king?

Sansa grew on me a little as the books went on. Still not my favorite, but something tells me she's going to be a major player, and her character does develop some. Plus even though her personality can be annoying because she's so uppity (especially on the show) she has been put in a pretty tough situation throughout.

Jawshco 04-18-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 8551663)
After finishing the first 2 books, I've concluded I only want Jon and Arya to live. The rest can die, especially Sansa. I was tired of her character halfway through A Game of Thrones.

Oh, my! We all might be dissappointed on this number.

I personally think Sansa is a great character. She is strong and tough like her mother, and endures a lot of crap while keeping her composure most of the time. Sure it's fun to see a character that refuses to put on any pretext (or perhaps isn't capable of doing so) like Arya, but I respect Sansa's choice of honoring her family by staying a noble lady in all occassions regardless of how insanely horrible they are. In Clash, she single handedly saves Dontos' life... and later she is a big part of the BEST event to happen yet in a Song of Ice and Fire, IMO. Okay...maybe she isn't more than a vessel in that event, but the way it all works out and the way the "mastermind," is revealed afterward was the most jawdropping moment in the entire series for me. BTW - If she pulls off the marriage that's brewing in the latest books, then she and her new husband may just become significant players in the "game." I definitely hope Sansa doesn't die, but I know I may be in the minority with that opinion.

All that said, I hope to see Jon and Ayra alive in the next books as well, and for good reason, I'm really not getting my hopes up for that.

When I was reading the books, Tyrion was the one character that I didn't want to see die. However, if he were to die with most perfect heroic death- (thinking of that "perfect moment to die" that Walter White talks about in Breaking Bad)... it's already come and gone. I don't want to spoil everything (even if this is the Spoiler thread), but there was a moment in the books where I would have been totally fine with Tyrion dying, but alas... he lived! Now, he may end up in a totally depressing way instead. But who knows...

mnchiefsguy 04-18-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 8552477)
Oh, my! We all might be dissappointed on this number.

I personally think Sansa is a great character. She is strong and tough like her mother, and endures a lot of crap while keeping her composure most of the time. Sure it's fun to see a character that refuses to put on any pretext (or perhaps isn't capable of doing so) like Arya, but I respect Sansa's choice of honoring her family by staying a noble lady in all occassions regardless of how insanely horrible they are. In Clash, she single handedly saves Dontos' life... and later she is a big part of the BEST event to happen yet in a Song of Ice and Fire, IMO. Okay...maybe she isn't more than a vessel in that event, but the way it all works out and the way the "mastermind," is revealed afterward was the most jawdropping moment in the entire series for me. BTW - If she pulls off the marriage that's brewing in the latest books, then she and her new husband may just become significant players in the "game." I definitely hope Sansa doesn't die, but I know I may be in the minority with that opinion.

All that said, I hope to see Jon and Ayra alive in the next books as well, and for good reason, I'm really not getting my hopes up for that.

When I was reading the books, Tyrion was the one character that I didn't want to see die. However, if he were to die with most perfect heroic death- (thinking of that "perfect moment to die" that Walter White talks about in Breaking Bad)... it's already come and gone. I don't want to spoil everything (even if this is the Spoiler thread), but there was a moment in the books where I would have been totally fine with Tyrion dying, but alas... he lived! Now, he may end up in a totally depressing way instead. But who knows...

Not sure if I care whether Sansa lives or dies...but her storyline is very intriguing, and I am very interested in seeing where it goes in the next book.

Jawshco 04-18-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 8551740)
Does anyone think it may be foreshadowing that all of the Starks, even Jon, have POV chapters except Robb and Rickon? Robb is not a POV because none of the kings in the story have ever been POV's. Rickon may just be too young for one, or perhaps he has not had a POV because he is the one destined to be king?

Sansa grew on me a little as the books went on. Still not my favorite, but something tells me she's going to be a major player, and her character does develop some. Plus even though her personality can be annoying because she's so uppity (especially on the show) she has been put in a pretty tough situation throughout.

I think you've got the right idea about the POV's as it pertains to Rob, but when it comes to Rickon... I honestly have no clue. He's the one question mark that we've had very little answers about. I was hoping he'd have come into play with the Onion Knight already, but alas... no.

vailpass 04-19-2012 12:00 PM

I don't understand the dislike for Sansa. IMHO she is one of the strongest and most pitiable characters in the entire storyline. A noble daughter raised in a strong house suddenly having her world swept from beneath her feet. She finds herself fatherless, unprotected, held captive to a cruel and bitter boy/king and the machinations of his evil mother.
I root for Sansa and want to see her come out on top.

Red Brooklyn 04-19-2012 12:17 PM

Initially, I disliked Sansa because she was a whiny, entitled brat. And because I love Arya so much that I saw Sansa through Arya's eyes a little bit. Then Sansa has to endure so much. She grows up pretty quickly and I greatly sympathize with her as the story advances. Now she's one of the characters I root for. For sure. But it took a bit to get me there.

chagrin 04-19-2012 01:07 PM

So if this is a spoiler thread, may I post something about what I read about? (err, in the song of fire and ice wiki)

EDIT - Just read Keg's initial post but still wanted to make sure it's cool

Red Brooklyn 04-19-2012 01:13 PM

I don't see why not. You can always use a spoiler tag if you're really all that worried about it. But we have the spoiler-free thread for those who have not read the books and don't want to be spoiled. Pretty much everyone here either doesn't care, or has read all the books.

chagrin 04-19-2012 01:19 PM

Ok cool, thank you - so I read through a lot of the fire and ice wiki (I know, but I didn't want to buy the books lol) I absorbed a lot but not as much obviously as you all have. Basically I earmarked all the characters and what I found out, and correct me if i'm wrong, was that basically all the Starks die (except Sansa and Arya and the Jon) and all the Lannister's live, except Joffrey - that about right? That sucks for them, lol here I thought they were the end all Good guys that would come charging back but NOT! I was so hoping for some perceived justice in the form of gruesome deaths :(
I'm very interested to see how the show maybe changes some of the outcomes, if they do, and the battles are supposed to be epic...can't wait :) Although I have to say after this, I am going to get the books, reading what everyone has posted I am very interested in the whole story now.

Hawk 04-19-2012 01:34 PM

Right now, as of end of book 5, Sansa, Arya, Bran and Rickon are for sure alive, and Jon is stabbed and could be alive or dead, only GRRM knows. Catelyn is a zombie in that she died and came back as lady stoneheart to take vengenace on all Freys. Ned is dead. Robb is dead.

So still lots of Starks around to come back and kick some ass. In fact, i believe that book 7 was rumored at one point to be titled "A Time for Wolves" so hopefully the Starks win in the end. Nothing is sure with GRRM though.

Taco John 04-19-2012 01:44 PM

****! I knew I shouldn't have gone in the spoiler thread.

DJ's left nut 04-19-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8553521)
I don't understand the dislike for Sansa. IMHO she is one of the strongest and most pitiable characters in the entire storyline. A noble daughter raised in a strong house suddenly having her world swept from beneath her feet. She finds herself fatherless, unprotected, held captive to a cruel and bitter boy/king and the machinations of his evil mother.
I root for Sansa and want to see her come out on top.

I've been defending Sansa for as long as I've been entering the GOT threads.

It may have something to do with the fact that the television character is about 4 or 5 years older than the book character. Sansa is 11 in the book. So when you see her as a fairly passive figure and oftentimes very programmed and naive, you have to remember she was written as an 11 year old. HBO has stayed very faithful to the source material...except for the age. So you see someone that appears to be about 16/17 years old acting as an 11 year old would and it frustrates you.

Well it's not Sansa's fault, really - it's HBOs.

I think the book readers tend to defend her a little more because they have a better perspective on her behavior.

Hawk 04-19-2012 02:46 PM

HBO aged up all the kid characters a bit, which frankly they needed to do and GRRM himself has said he would do if he could start over. The stuff Arya and Bran do is not really believable for their ages, so you had to play them older. Dany is 14 when the book starts, but that obviously wouldn't work on the show given her sex scenes. Robb is 15 or 16, Theon is 18 or 19, and Jon is about 14 or 15, all of those are too young for what they do. GRRM missed the mark on ages in the books. The show ages for the actors and actresses work much better and are much more believable.

Hawk 04-19-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 8553792)
****! I knew I shouldn't have gone in the spoiler thread.

Haha, yeah, bad idea! Didn;t you read the OP first?

vailpass 04-19-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8553793)
I've been defending Sansa for as long as I've been entering the GOT threads.

It may have something to do with the fact that the television character is about 4 or 5 years older than the book character. Sansa is 11 in the book. So when you see her as a fairly passive figure and oftentimes very programmed and naive, you have to remember she was written as an 11 year old. HBO has stayed very faithful to the source material...except for the age. So you see someone that appears to be about 16/17 years old acting as an 11 year old would and it frustrates you.

Well it's not Sansa's fault, really - it's HBOs.

I think the book readers tend to defend her a little more because they have a better perspective on her behavior.

Good take.

keg in kc 04-19-2012 06:28 PM

I was actually pre-disposed to dislike Sansa because of the books. Much like Dany, I basically dreaded her PoV chapters. GRRM does develop her story well, but I just have a hard time caring about what's going on with her. I actually like both her and Dany more on TV than I do in the books.

NewChief 04-19-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8554287)
I was actually pre-disposed to dislike Sansa because of the books. Much like Dany, I basically dreaded her PoV chapters. GRRM does develop her story well, but I just have a hard time caring about what's going on with her. I actually like both her and Dany more on TV than I do in the books.

I'm with you. The series has made Sansa much more sympathetic to me. Theon as well, though I never had the whole visceral 'he's an asshole' reaction that so many seemed to have halfway through book 1. Going back, I can see how people got that perception of him, though, and I'm glad that the series has tried to more fully show the quandary that he faces: blood vs. "family."

And yes... he's a cur. But imagine if it were a Stark that were fostering with say, the Lannisters, and managed to come back and take Casterly Rock from them, beheading Lannister dogs the whole way. How would we feel? That's a testament to GRRM's writing ability, imo.

Jawshco 04-19-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 8553563)
Initially, I disliked Sansa because she was a whiny, entitled brat. And because I love Arya so much that I saw Sansa through Arya's eyes a little bit. Then Sansa has to endure so much. She grows up pretty quickly and I greatly sympathize with her as the story advances. Now she's one of the characters I root for. For sure. But it took a bit to get me there.

Yeah, there is definitely that progression that I went through where I became sympathetic toward Sansa, and maybe a little less thrilled with how Arya turned out. Both are still great characters and the fact that they've both developed in different ways just shows how talented GRRM is.

Am I the only who thinks that Arya Crow-killer & Sam the Slayer have become the characters that other important characters "bump" into when needed? It seems like we'll get a big build up for these characters who are about cross paths and then they pretty much just pass by with only indirect contact (aside from Sam and Bran- which was cool. How many Stark siblings has Sam met so far?)

Red Brooklyn 04-20-2012 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jawshco (Post 8554772)
Yeah, there is definitely that progression that I went through where I became sympathetic toward Sansa, and maybe a little less thrilled with how Arya turned out. Both are still great characters and the fact that they've both developed in different ways just shows how talented GRRM is.

Arya - for me - is still far and away the most interesting character in this story. I love how her story is playing out. Zero complaints about Arya.

I hope we get some sort of reconciliation between Arya and Sansa, however. Something that shows each other how they each have grown. Could be cool.

Swanman 04-20-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 8554959)
Arya - for me - is still far and away the most interesting character in this story. I love how her story is playing out. Zero complaints about Arya.

I hope we get some sort of reconciliation between Arya and Sansa, however. Something that shows each other how they each have grown. Could be cool.

I just want Arya and Nymeria to meet back up. Those two together would be kickass. Dragons in the air, wolves on the ground.

Swanman 04-20-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 8553766)

So still lots of Starks around to come back and kick some ass. In fact, i believe that book 7 was rumored at one point to be titled "A Time for Wolves" so hopefully the Starks win in the end. Nothing is sure with GRRM though.

That would be great if it was the title for the seventh book. I thought the next two were going to be titled "Winds of Winter" for book six (I think that's set in stone) and "A Promise of Spring" for book seven.

Hawk 04-20-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 8555021)
That would be great if it was the title for the seventh book. I thought the next two were going to be titled "Winds of Winter" for book six (I think that's set in stone) and "A Promise of Spring" for book seven.

GRRM changed it. At one point he said it would be called a Time for Wolves, then he decided to call it a Promise of Spring or a Hope for Spring, or something like that. I'm just hoping that the fact he thought about calling it a Time for Wolves in the first place is an indication of where the plot will ultimately go and who will win out in the end. I have no doubt not all my favorite characters will survive, but hopefully a couple of Starks will and will kick some ass! Arya and Jon are my preference, so Sansa and Rickon will probably be the ones. Not sure how the heck Bran will play into it.

Red Brooklyn 04-20-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 8555015)
I just want Arya and Nymeria to meet back up. Those two together would be kickass. Dragons in the air, wolves on the ground.

Chills.

Red Brooklyn 04-20-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 8555182)
GRRM changed it. At one point he said it would be called a Time for Wolves, then he decided to call it a Promise of Spring or a Hope for Spring, or something like that. I'm just hoping that the fact he thought about calling it a Time for Wolves in the first place is an indication of where the plot will ultimately go and who will win out in the end. I have no doubt not all my favorite characters will survive, but hopefully a couple of Starks will and will kick some ass! Arya and Jon are my preference, so Sansa and Rickon will probably be the ones. Not sure how the heck Bran will play into it.

A Time For Wolves is a better title on paper, I think. Of course, I won't know for sure until I've read the book.

I imagine Arya will live. I'm just not sure what role she'll play in the grand scheme. And I'm not sure her family will know that she survived. I'm so curious to see where she goes.

Rickon is such a wildcard. Something big has to happen with him soon. Every other remaining Stark has big things going on. Rickon... I'm losing interest.

Hawk 04-20-2012 10:12 AM

Rickon is going to be interesting. He was already wild as evidenced by his wolf's personality, and then he gets taken to a wild place by Osha the wildling and is basically being raised by her. He is going to be a wildcard in this game! Interactions between him and Davos should be fun.

vailpass 04-20-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8554484)
I'm with you. The series has made Sansa much more sympathetic to me. Theon as well, though I never had the whole visceral 'he's an asshole' reaction that so many seemed to have halfway through book 1. Going back, I can see how people got that perception of him, though, and I'm glad that the series has tried to more fully show the quandary that he faces: blood vs. "family."

And yes... he's a cur. But imagine if it were a Stark that were fostering with say, the Lannisters, and managed to come back and take Casterly Rock from them, beheading Lannister dogs the whole way. How would we feel? That's a testament to GRRM's writing ability, imo.

F*** Reek II.

Red Brooklyn 04-20-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 8555303)
Rickon is going to be interesting. He was already wild as evidenced by his wolf's personality, and then he gets taken to a wild place by Osha the wildling and is basically being raised by her. He is going to be a wildcard in this game! Interactions between him and Davos should be fun.

Man, it's been too long. How do we know Davos is meeting up with Rickon? I only have a vague recollection.

vailpass 04-20-2012 12:15 PM

He's back for season 2...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D4dVpckgDs4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hawk 04-20-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 8555472)
Man, it's been too long. How do we know Davos is meeting up with Rickon? I only have a vague recollection.

In book 5, Davos goes to Lord Manderly who was a Stark bannerman to try to get his support for Stannis now that Robb is dead (and Bran and Rickon are still thought to have been killed by Theon). Lord Manderly has a bunch of evil Freys in his court and is publicly siding with the Lannisters as a turncoat like the Freys and Boltons. Manderly tells Davos in front of the Freys that he is dead, then puts a fake Davos head on a spike for all to see, thus everyone thinks Davos is dead and Manderly is now on the side of the Lannisters and Freys and Boltons.

But Manderly secretly tells Davos that Wex (a mute servant boy from Winterfell) survived the Winterfell massacre and saw Bran head north and Rickon head wherever he went, so Wex followed Rickon and then reported to Manderly. Manderly tells Dsavos that if Stannis saves Rickon, he can unite the North behind a surviving male Stark to defeat the Lannister/Freys who all loyal Stark loving northmen really hate. He sends Davos off with a ship to go find and bring back Rickon. That's all we know at this point.

The book does not say where Rickon is, but in typical GRRM fashion he included some subtle hints that seem to indicate he and Osha went to the island of Skagos (which is supposedly a very wild place with strange creatures and people which fits in with all the "wild" that surrounds Rickon). Skagos is off the far northeastern coast of Westeros near the Wall. For those interested, here is a link to a cool map of Westeros I saw recently on another site.

http://www.fanboy.com/wp-content/upl...7/Westeros.jpg

Red Brooklyn 04-20-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 8555597)
But Manderly secretly tells Davos that Wex (a mute servant boy from Winterfell) survived the Winterfell massacre and saw Bran head north and Rickon head wherever he went, so Wex followed Rickon and then reported to Manderly. Manderly tells Dsavos that if Stannis saves Rickon, he can unite the North behind a surviving male Stark to defeat the Lannister/Freys who all loyal Stark loving northmen really hate. He sends Davos off with a ship to go find and bring back Rickon. That's all we know at this point.

That's right! Thank you. I remembered about fake, dead Davos. But I was having a really hard time remembering that Manderly send Davos in search of Rickon to unite the North.

There is just so much going on in these books. I'm going to need to re-read them all before 6 comes out.

KcMizzou 04-22-2012 07:58 PM

Wow, I really wondered how they'd handle that last scene. Pretty much straight from the books.