ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Brett Veach prioritizing re-signing Chris Jones, L'Jarius Sneed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352215)

RunKC 02-08-2024 04:42 PM

Brett Veach prioritizing re-signing Chris Jones, L'Jarius Sneed

What some of us have been wondering...

Quote:

HENDERSON, Nev. -- Kansas City Chiefs general manager Brett Veach said he is aware of the challenge the organization faces in re-signing both defensive tackle Chris Jones and cornerback L'Jarius Sneed but said it would be an offseason priority to get both players under new contracts.

"Sometimes I look at our situation and I'm like, 'I don't know how we're going to do this,' but we usually work through things systematically and have a list of the priorities,'' Veach said as the Chiefs continued preparations for Super Bowl LVIII against the San Francisco 49ers. "Certainly, Chris and LJ are at the top of the list.

"It's extremely hard because you have two keystone players there.''

Jones, 29, has been one of the NFL's top pass-rushers for years. He had 10.5 sacks this season to tie for the team lead after missing training camp and the first regular-season game while holding out for a new contract.

He didn't get the extension he was looking for, but the Chiefs sweetened the final season of his existing contract.

"It was important for us to mend the fences with Chris because we love him and he's an iconic player here, not just here, but I mean of all time,'' Veach said. "That was important for us, and we'll continue to work hard and see if we can get something done, but it will be a priority for us.''

The Chiefs used Sneed, 27, this season to defend against the opponent's top receiver much of the time, and none had big games against him.

Jones and Sneed are key players for an improved Chiefs defense that allowed fewer points than all but one other team during the regular season and held the Miami Dolphins, Buffalo Bills and Baltimore Ravens to 41 total points in the playoffs.

The Chiefs had defenses that were at times competitive since Patrick Mahomes became their starting quarterback in 2018, but rarely were they consistently so. Veach and the Chiefs found the task of building a top defense difficult because the past few seasons they were carrying Mahomes' massive contract.

"I still remember in '17 and '18 just saying if we can just get them to punt just once we've got a shot,'' Veach said. "Now all of a sudden it's like all we've got to do is just score once and we're good.

"Going from where we were in '17 and '18 to having one of the best defenses, knowing the constraints we had of just paying [Mahomes] and probably drafting later [in rounds], I don't think I ever envisioned having a top one or two defense.''
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-ljarius-sneed

staylor26 02-08-2024 04:44 PM

Don't think we bring both back, but one of them will be for sure.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-08-2024 04:46 PM

Still reads to me like "we love Chris, we will try to re-sign Chris, we aren't breaking our budget or price for him."

Monticore 02-08-2024 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 17388161)
Still reads to me like "we love Chris, we will try to re-sign Chris, we aren't breaking our budget or price for him."

Pat just needs to get him in a few commercials to make up for any pay gaps.

ToxSocks 02-08-2024 04:47 PM

"It's extremely hard because you have two keystone players there.''

Code for: We can't keep them both.

Dunerdr 02-08-2024 04:47 PM

Things you have to say before a super bowl for 500 Alex. No chance Jones makes it back imo unless hes willing to play for less than what he believes his market to be.

Sassy Squatch 02-08-2024 04:48 PM

Quote:

Yep. Just offer him the same deal from last offseason and if he takes it, great. If not, we'll see what happens with Sneed and go forward accordingly.

tyton75 02-08-2024 04:49 PM

Sneed should be the priority, for sure.

HonestChieffan 02-08-2024 04:49 PM

Chris burned a few points with his hold out game and that will work against him. Sneed will get paid.

DRM08 02-08-2024 04:55 PM

Jones is like Tyreek & Orlando. He's a goner. Hopefully they can keep Sneed.

Hammock Parties 02-08-2024 04:55 PM

Chiefs have 44 players under contract for 2024 and $24MM in cap room.

$34MM if they cut MVS.

$41MM if they cut Justin Reid.

I think they cut MVS, sign Sneed long term, say goodbye to Chris and use the other $14MM to shore up the roster.

Either way say goodbye to Tranquil, Danna, Gay and probably Mike Edwards and Donovan Smith. They're all gonna be too expensive.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-08-2024 04:55 PM

Sneed is getting the tag so he isn't going anywhere for at least another year.

Couch-Potato 02-08-2024 04:56 PM

**** YEAH!!!

pugsnotdrugs19 02-08-2024 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 17388181)

$34MM if they cut MVS.

I think they cut MVS, sign Sneed long term, say goodbye to Chris and use the other $14MM to shore up the roster.

Either way say goodbye to Tranquil, Danna, Gay and probably Donovan Smith. They're all gonna be too expensive.

Patrick will get his deal restructured to some extent too at least. Probably at least + $10 million.

DRM08 02-08-2024 04:57 PM

Quote:

$34MM if they cut MVS.

Either way say goodbye to Tranquil, Danna, Gay and probably Mike Edwards and Donovan Smith. They're all gonna be too expensive.

Reid seems good enough to keep on the team, unless they want to give his money to someone like Tranquil.

Sassy Squatch 02-08-2024 05:00 PM

May try to extend Reid farther out and lower his 2024 number.

Couch-Potato 02-08-2024 05:04 PM

I believe!

Run it back!!

TREE-****ing-PEAT!!!

Wallcrawler 02-08-2024 05:06 PM

Jones burned his bridge. He's said as much in the pregame against Miami. This is the last time some of us step on this field.

MVS is history. Huge playoff games notwithstanding, it's just way too much money for a player with such a small role on this offense.

Justin Reid has been solid, Sneed has entered his final form. I'd love to keep Sneed but if he wants to get paid, you let the guy go get his money. He's played his ass off for us, and he's earned the right to get that huge payday and financial security if we cannot provide it. No hard feelings, no regrets, just thanks for all that effort and enjoy that financial security.

RunKC 02-08-2024 05:10 PM

I think there is a possibility of bringing back Chris and Sneed and Tranquill.

Cut MVS and extend Reid to save room. Maybe cash in a Mahomes partial restructure like last year?

The consequences of that are that you're looking at signing a Richie James or Justin Watson type WR for vet minimum while relying on the draft to get another playmaker or two.

Basically banking on Veach to do what the Packers did in the draft this year.

Wallcrawler 02-08-2024 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 17388200)

Cut MVS and extend Reid to save room. Maybe cash in a Mahomes partial restructure like last year?

The consequences of that are that you're looking at signing a Richie James or Justin Watson type WR for vet minimum while relying on the draft to get another playmaker or two.

There's no way money won't be spent on that wr room. Defense takes a survivable hit, wr room drastically upgrades.

3peat.

OKchiefs 02-08-2024 05:13 PM

I just don’t see how it’s possible while also being able to address other positions of need like WR while also adding depth. I don’t think you could make moves like we did this past offseason to add Omenihu, Edwards, and Tranquill. But who knows, we’ll see.

DRM08 02-08-2024 05:14 PM

Quote:

Need to find more guys like Rice & Pacheco instead of CEH & Skyy Moore in the Draft.

poolboy 02-08-2024 05:27 PM

its prob gonna be like Badger and O. Brown for Jones....asking us to break the bank for them and settling for less somewhere else

DRM08 02-08-2024 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poolboy (Post 17388219)
its prob gonna be like Badger and O. Brown for Jones....asking us to break the bank for them and settling for less somewhere else

Just hoping he does not end up in the AFC.

scho63 02-08-2024 05:33 PM

The Cowboys want Jones bad.

Dunerdr 02-08-2024 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 17388182)

I think you need to avoid the tag just because of his age. Sign him now and you are in a nice spot to get out in 3-4 years hopefully right before he falls out.

Bwana 02-08-2024 05:47 PM

My guess is Jones plays his last game as a Chief on Sunday. Make it a monster game Chris!

ForeverIowan 02-08-2024 06:20 PM

You just cant pay big $ for a guy approaching the wrong side of 30. Lets hope we can tag and trade him for someone looking to go "all-in" the next year or two and has the cap space to do so (looking at you Lions, Texans).

Keep the rest of the defense intact. Extend 26 year old Justin Reid who is playing the best ball of his career. Tranquill shouldnt break the bank. Neither should Mike Danna. Would love to see them figure out Willie Gay.

Sofa King 02-08-2024 06:22 PM

Keep in mind, Bolton, Creed, Trey Smith all coming up next year too.

RedinTexas 02-08-2024 06:24 PM

I'm still holding out hope for the sales pitch. "Come back and play for Andy. Come back and play with Patrick. Come back and be part of this dynasty. Let us figure out where we stand with everyone and we'll pay you as much as we reasonably can, but we can't pay you everything you want and still sign the other pieces that make this team formidable."

It worked for the Patriots for years, it's got to work for us with some of them at least.

ForeverIowan 02-08-2024 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedinTexas (Post 17388311)
I'm still holding out hope for the sales pitch. "Come back and play for Andy. Come back and play with Patrick. Come back and be part of this dynasty. Let us figure out where we stand with everyone and we'll pay you as much as we reasonably can, but we can't pay you everything you want and still sign the other pieces that make this team formidable."

It worked for the Patriots for years, it's got to work for us with some of them at least.

He passed on that long-term offer last year. He is one of the best 10-15 players in the league and deserves to be paid accordingly if that is what he desires. You just have to thank him for everything and hope we can get a few teams bidding against each other for trade compensation.

Chris Meck 02-08-2024 06:31 PM

Quote:

No, mostly the Patriots let those guys walk. Richard Seymour, for example, would be a good comp.

The big names the Patriots had were guys that were late in their careers that signed there for pennies to chase a ring-guys like Seau and Harrison, for example.

Bill gave very few guys big contracts.

BigRedChief 02-08-2024 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 17388182)

there is no way Sneed gets top CB money from any team. I’ve seen $12-$14 million a year. 4 years/$35 million guaranteed with no funny money on the back end so they cut him prior to year 4.

BigRedChief 02-08-2024 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 17388250)
My guess is Jones plays his last game as a Chief on Sunday. Make it a monster game Chris!

we just can’t be giving $30 million a year $100 million guaranteed to a 35 year old DE in that last year.

Dunerdr 02-08-2024 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 17388320)
there is no way Sneed gets top CB money from any team. I’ve seen $12-$14 million a year. 4 years/$35 million guaranteed with no funny money on the back end so they cut him prior to year 4.

I was in this camp early on. I'm now in the some one will pay this man through their nose. Probably some team that has to play Jefferson, Hill or some other stud wide out 2x a year.

notorious 02-08-2024 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 17388233)
The Cowboys want Jones bad.

They are......Jonesing?

poolboy 02-08-2024 06:42 PM

any cap guys know how much Chris has made so far this season including incentives?

ThyKingdomCome15 02-08-2024 06:51 PM

Chris Jones carrying a big cap hit in his 30's doesn't sound good for the team's longterm success. If Sneed signs a three year deal he'll be 30 at the end of his contract as well. Front loaded contracts sound like the best thing if Veach can find that happy middle ground. Otherwise it may be best to move on from both and spend the money on offense, draft the defense.

Chris Meck 02-08-2024 06:54 PM

I just don't see how you can fit paying Jonesy $30m and Sneed $18m per. Not with Bolton, Creed coming up, and Thuney's still expensive, and Taylor's expensive.

I just don't see how it's good for overall team building.

Given the choice, I'll pay Sneed that second contract and sign a couple of FA DT's for half.

Hydrae 02-08-2024 07:01 PM

I see it differently. We have been so good at drafting DBs, I think we let Sneed walk. If we try to keep one of them it would be Chris but I don't think that will work either. But if you want to try for a tag and trade, Sneed would probably be the better bet. We saw what happened last year when we had all that money tied up and getting no progress with the Jones contract. I don't see how we can do that again this year.

At the same time, I would love to keep Tranquil, Edwards, and probably Smith. Gay would be wonderful if his demands aren't too bad.

IowaHawkeyeChief 02-08-2024 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 17388353)
I just don't see how you can fit paying Jonesy $30m and Sneed $18m per. Not with Bolton, Creed coming up, and Thuney's still expensive, and Taylor's expensive.

I just don't see how it's good for overall team building.

Given the choice, I'll pay Sneed that second contract and sign a couple of FA DT's for half.

Love Chris, but he's playing for a ring and a big check from another team on Sunday. No way we can pay him what he'll fetch on the open market. Maybe a team friendly deal, but don't think that's going to happen.

Wallcrawler 02-08-2024 07:55 PM

Quote:

It only works for people who don't look at football as their job, and with the point of a job being to make as much money as you possibly can in a business where your career can end on your next play.

I don't see how someone doesn't swoop in and offer Tranquill a hefty deal after his stellar replacement of Bolton for half the season.

Jones knows this is likely his last big payday.

Sneed likely will never be worth more than he is right now. This was one of the best CB performances I've ever seen in my life. He surrendered one td all year, a crazy ass insane difficulty level catch, and the next game he goes out and denies Zay Flowers at the goal line for a touchback on a play that could have turned the gane for the Ravens. The dude simply refuses to get scored on, and the guy played against the absolute elite that the league has to offer.

|Zach| 02-08-2024 07:59 PM

Gotta say I am surprised we are going to try to resign Jones...not that he is not worth and not that I would not love for him to be a Chief forever but hey...do your thing I am just an idiot on the internet.

Eleazar 02-08-2024 08:03 PM

I’d like to see 2 more years of Jones and Sneed given a longer term deal, but there are realities in play that it may not be in Jones’ best financial interest to stay. Maybe we’ll get a heart decision and not a business decision, who knows.

|Zach| 02-08-2024 08:05 PM

Wish we could hold on to Bolton but it feels like he is the easiest to replace out of the really good players who are hard to replace group.

Bowser 02-08-2024 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 17388334)
I was in this camp early on. I'm now in the some one will pay this man through their nose. Probably some team that has to play Jefferson, Hill or some other stud wide out 2x a year.

Sneed shut down ELITE guys this year. Deebo and/or Aiyuk are going to have long days Sunday. He's earned every cent he's going to make, either from us or someone else. And if it's not us, I hope it's someone in the NFC (same goes for Jones if he's the one not here next year).

Coochie liquor 02-08-2024 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 17388237)
I think you need to avoid the tag just because of his age. Sign him now and you are in a nice spot to get out in 3-4 years hopefully right before he falls out.

Yes. Voidable year the year McDuffie gets paid.

Dunerdr 02-08-2024 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor (Post 17388491)
Yes. Voidable year the year McDuffie gets paid.

You keep those two for the next three seasons together, with Cook and Connor both coming on... Sheesh. Gives you the flexibility to back fill Jones leaving over a year or two imo.

RealSNR 02-08-2024 08:37 PM

I think Vrett Bleach is just saying that. I could be wrong, but I thought he mentioned Jones being an offseason priority last year, too.

We can only use the tag on one guy, and I don't see us being able to let the other test the market and manage to come out on top in the bidding. And if we use the tag, that sucks up a huge chunk of available play money to address other offseason needs.

It's just a little excessive, in my opinion. We can maybe afford one, but definitely not both. And I think it's more important to continue keeping this team young and energetic. The more you run it back, the harder it can be to pivot away from that strategy when your core players get too old.

Dunerdr 02-08-2024 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 17388510)
I think Vrett Bleach is just saying that. I could be wrong, but I thought he mentioned Jones being an offseason priority last year, too.

We can only use the tag on one guy, and I don't see us being able to let the other test the market and manage to come out on top in the bidding. And if we use the tag, that sucks up a huge chunk of available play money to address other offseason needs.

It's just a little excessive, in my opinion. We can maybe afford one, but definitely not both. And I think it's more important to continue keeping this team young and energetic. The more you run it back, the harder it can be to pivot away from that strategy when your core players get too old.

All of this. And its considerably cheaper to tag Sneed, hes younger and has had a better season imo.

RealSNR 02-08-2024 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 17388461)
Wish we could hold on to Bolton but it feels like he is the easiest to replace out of the really good players who are hard to replace group.

Potentially, but I really don't think it's a coincidence that we started seeing some damn fine defense when we booted guys like Hitchens and Niemann out the door and replaced all of their snaps with Bolton and Gay. Chenal, too.

Everybody pisses on the idea of spending resources on great LBs until you've stocked your cupboard with absolute crap at the position. Then all of a sudden your defense becomes mediocre at best.

If we let both Bolton and Gay walk, I really hope Veach keeps spending those 2nd/3rd round picks on LBs to replace them.

Bump 02-08-2024 08:44 PM

in my Chiefs madden franchise I was able to keep everybody! But couldn't sign any free agents until 2026

Coochie liquor 02-08-2024 09:10 PM

Even CJ95 knows who we should pay.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...bf3e715aa0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

|Zach| 02-08-2024 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 17388521)
Potentially, but I really don't think it's a coincidence that we started seeing some damn fine defense when we booted guys like Hitchens and Niemann out the door and replaced all of their snaps with Bolton and Gay. Chenal, too.

Everybody pisses on the idea of spending resources on great LBs until you've stocked your cupboard with absolute crap at the position. Then all of a sudden your defense becomes mediocre at best.

If we let both Bolton and Gay walk, I really hope Veach keeps spending those 2nd/3rd round picks on LBs to replace them.

I can't disagree with any of this. It is a great problem to have and I am glad it is not my job to sort out.

BossChief 02-08-2024 09:48 PM

Quote:

CJ will hit the open market and Veach is hoping the market isn’t as strong as Chris hopes it is

It’s not completely out of the question we still keep him in KC, if the market isn’t where he wants it to be.

The tough part for Chris is all the top end DTs got paid last year and he decided to wait. That’s going to make it very difficult to set a price for. Chris is the definition of a unicorn up to this point. But his age will play into negotiations.

Watch Veach get CJ back for something like 4/100 with half guaranteed with an initial cap hit of 9-10m in 2024 and gets Sneed signed to a 4 year deal at an AAV of the franchise tag plus a bump for cap increase. Call it 5/100 but really a 3/50 deal that mostly guaranteed.

Then let Veach do what he does in the draft and let’s go for the 3 peat.

If we can keep Tranquill and DS on top of keeping Sneed and Jones, Veach is a miracle worker and this team is going to be extremely tough to beat.

Fishels 02-08-2024 10:26 PM

Quote:

If all goes well Sunday Jones will have 3 rings. It’s hard for me to imagine him not taking the big payday after his legacy is already like that. Even with 2 rings

RunKC 02-08-2024 10:31 PM

Chris Jones is probably going to Houston unfortunately. They've got the most money to blow and I think Demeco is gonna target him hard on the open market.

DRM08 02-08-2024 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 17388711)
Chris Jones is probably going to Houston unfortunately. They've got the most money to blow and I think Demeco is gonna target him hard on the open market.

I prefer NFC, but I would be OK with Houston instead of Baltimore, Cincy, Buffalo, or the other AFC West teams.

kccrow 02-08-2024 10:41 PM

Quote:

The only way the Chiefs will be able to bring them both back and afford to fill out the rest of the roster is to push pretty well all of Mahomes roster bonus forward. I have my doubts.

The Bad Guy 02-08-2024 10:47 PM

Quote:

$34MM if they cut MVS.

They are 100% converting Mahomes bonus this year. Maybe not all of it, but some of it.

I'd be shocked if they let Tranquill walk too. He's not going to cost a lot regardless. Age and the pay scale for the position working against him.

Danna, Gay and Edwards are all likely gone.

I think CJ may take the deal to stay with the Chiefs if they win Sunday. Getting 3 plus rings would likely put him in the HOF. Jones knows the grass isn't greener because of money if he's close with Tyreek.

The Bad Guy 02-08-2024 10:50 PM

There's a structure you can pay 38, 95, 23 and still get a vet WR. They are all going to have low base salaries and cap hits in 2024. Cap keeps going up in future years so you can structure their deals accordingly.

Chiefs have cap flexibility with cutting, restructures and converting bonuses.

Sneed is a must keep and I'm starting to think Jones is too. You can't just replace those guys and keep this engine humming.

O.city 02-08-2024 10:50 PM

Tyreek talking today essentially saying he wish he’d have stayed

|Zach| 02-08-2024 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 17388725)
They are 100% converting Mahomes bonus this year. Maybe not all of it, but some of it.

I'd be shocked if they let Tranquill walk too. He's not going to cost a lot regardless. Age and the pay scale for the position working against him.

Danna, Gay and Edwards are all likely gone.

I think CJ may take the deal to stay with the Chiefs if they win Sunday. Getting 3 plus rings would likely put him in the HOF. Jones knows the grass isn't greener because of money if he's close with Tyreek.

Tranquill ended up being a great pickup this year and was always ready when we needed him.

The Bad Guy 02-08-2024 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 17388734)
Tranquill ended up being a great pickup this year and was always ready when we needed him.

He's been outstanding. I just think he'll be relatively affordable. Give him a multi year deal around 3 years for 11-12 million. He genuinely looks like he loves being a Chief.

BossChief 02-08-2024 10:58 PM

It all really depends on what the final salary cap settles at.

There are rumors that it could be close to 250m, but we are using current cap numbers with a 240m cap.

If the cap is 250m, we have 34m in cap space. Cutting MVS clears 12m in cap space.

I’m expecting to lose CJ95, but it’s a possibility we don’t.

And everyone will bitch about it.

And we will win 3-4 rings in a row.

If the cap rests at 240, CJ95 is probably long gone.

TribalElder 02-08-2024 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17388729)
Tyreek talking today essentially saying he wish he’d have stayed

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tyreek Hill, who&#39;s up for NFL Offensive Player of the Year, on the Red Carpet says he still keeps in touch with many of his fomer <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> teammates and coaches -- &quot;I tell the guys congratulations, I&#39;m so proud of you guys, I wish it was kinda me, I&#39;m like the sad little brother.&quot; <a href="https://t.co/c4gbksLvef">pic.twitter.com/c4gbksLvef</a></p>&mdash; Harold R. Kuntz (@HaroldRKuntz3) <a href="https://twitter.com/HaroldRKuntz3/status/1755770514469957788?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 9, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I would love to see us keep sneed and jones, I just think Jones's agents will **** everything up like dipshits

BossChief 02-08-2024 11:32 PM

I bet Jones has asked TH if he regrets leaving and he reluctantly said yes.

Those agents are going to **** up negotiations with other teams and kill CJs market.

I hope.

Ron Swanson 02-08-2024 11:32 PM

I can't see the Chiefs dealing much further with Jones' idiot agents. They will probably offer him a fair deal and move on.

T-post Tom 02-08-2024 11:37 PM

I appreciate BV’s optimism. I suspect that CJ will be tagged & traded. Hopefully they’ll be able to let CJ have input on where he lands, as they did with Reek’s trade to the phins. Great way to maintain goodwill with all of the players in a difficult situation. (Basically treat the player opposite of what Carl Petersen would’ve done back in the day. *DT excluded* Dammit Carl! :cuss:) Sneed is younger and currently harder to replace despite BV’s continued success in drafting players for the secondary.

BossChief 02-08-2024 11:41 PM

They aren’t going to tag CJ.

Sneed is getting the tag, but I think he could sign an extension before the tag is even needed.

frozenchief 02-09-2024 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 17388167)
Chris burned a few points with his hold out game and that will work against him. Sneed will get paid.

That’s not what would work against him. He wants Aaron Donald money - $30M a year. He could have stayed with KC by taking about $27M. To establish his worth in the NFL, though, he’s demanding top money. He’ll likely get it, too. Just not from KC.

frozenchief 02-09-2024 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 17388751)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tyreek Hill, who&#39;s up for NFL Offensive Player of the Year, on the Red Carpet says he still keeps in touch with many of his fomer <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> teammates and coaches -- &quot;I tell the guys congratulations, I&#39;m so proud of you guys, I wish it was kinda me, I&#39;m like the sad little brother.&quot; <a href="https://t.co/c4gbksLvef">pic.twitter.com/c4gbksLvef</a></p>&mdash; Harold R. Kuntz (@HaroldRKuntz3) <a href="https://twitter.com/HaroldRKuntz3/status/1755770514469957788?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 9, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I would love to see us keep sneed and jones, I just think Jones's agents will **** everything up like dipshits

His leaving paved the way for our defense.

suzzer99 02-09-2024 01:54 AM

I suspect Sneed sets the tone on that defense more than we know. If we extend Sneed, we'd have him and McDuffie locked up for the next three years, pretty much guaranteeing a lock down secondary (barring injury). Good teams don't let stars like that go in their prime w/o getting a haul in return. Pay Sneed!

BigOlChiefsfan 02-09-2024 01:57 AM

Money well spent!

ThyKingdomCome15 02-09-2024 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Swanson (Post 17388755)
I can't see the Chiefs dealing much further with Jones' idiot agents. They will probably offer him a fair deal and move on.

That sounds very much like the Orlando Brown Jr. situation except Chris has a much stronger case for his salary demands. I agree with you, KC will make a final offer and then it's in CJ95's hands. What you won't have is another embarrassing holdout situation. That in itself is a relief.

T-post Tom 02-09-2024 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 17388759)

Sneed is getting the tag, but I think he could sign an extension before the tag is even needed.

BV will get a deal done with Snead without needing the tag. I predict the tag will go to CJ prior to his trade. This is probably CJ’s last contract and he is going to want to empty the Hunt coffers. Chiefs will not let CJ walk without some form of compensation outside of the potential compensatory draft pick. Time will tell.

Brooklyn 02-09-2024 06:17 AM

It never gets used anymore due to risk, but how about transition tagging Jones?

Gives us the chance to match any offer, if we don’t, no compensation. Which is the same as if we just let him walk because the franchise tag is used already on Sneed.

If the market doesn’t come back to Chris, and interest might be tempered it if teams know we can match. If that happens then we get him below $30mm and maybe can work it. I’m sure if some team wanted to give him that contract last year, it would have happened.

Not sure what that ties up on our cap, if anything but I am sure Veach and team have some ideas. Hopefully we don’t need Tillis to navigate.

Coogs 02-09-2024 06:31 AM

If Jones really wants to be in KC, let him go test the market to see what he can get. Bring that offer back to Veach and see if we can match, or work out something close to that offer that keeps him in KC like he says he wants.

That allows us to see whats available at other positions of need too, instead of tying out hands behind our back in free agency. That would happen with placing the tag on Jones.

Sofa King 02-09-2024 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 17388838)
If Jones really wants to be in KC, let him go test the market to see what he can get. Bring that offer back to Veach and see if we can match, or work out something close to that offer that keeps him in KC like he says he wants.

That allows us to see whats available at other positions of need too, instead of tying out hands behind our back in free agency. That would happen with placing the tag on Jones.

They'll make the contract impossible to match. Essentially the poison pill where some team with a shitload of cap will front load it so hard we can't match it. If he hits the market it's already too late and he's gone.

Dunerdr 02-09-2024 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 17388759)

SAY IT LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK