ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Funny Stuff Trey Parker and Matt Stone to buy Casa Bonita in Denver (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=339405)

DaFace 08-13-2021 02:25 PM

Trey Parker and Matt Stone to buy Casa Bonita in Denver

This cracks me up. They've apparently reached "**** you money" level and are buying the place after it seemed like it might be done for. Hopefully they can at least improve the food to the point that you can go there and not leave with a stomach ache.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">‘South Park’ Creators Strike Deal to Buy Casa Bonita, Restaurant Featured On Show <a href="https://t.co/GJN4RMfcDK">https://t.co/GJN4RMfcDK</a></p>&mdash; The Hollywood Reporter (@THR) <a href="https://twitter.com/THR/status/1426215832879878148?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 13, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Chiefspants 08-13-2021 02:28 PM

I have not seen the entire state of Colorado rejoice about a particular issue like this since the most boring Super Bowl in history.

ToxSocks 08-13-2021 02:32 PM

Yeah whatever man, Mahomes is probably 'bout to buy the whole Applebee's franchise.

DaFace 08-13-2021 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15782519)
I have not seen the entire state of Colorado rejoice about a particular issue like this since the most boring Super Bowl in history.

ROFL

The place is iconic and awful all at the same time. I think it's kind of the equivalent of when the Chiefs brought in Andy. Everyone knows there's potential but just needs someone who knows what they're doing (and in this case, has some money) to fix it up a bit.

ChiefsCountry 08-13-2021 02:38 PM

That is one of the top 5 all time South Park episodes of all time.

Wisconsin_Chief 08-13-2021 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 15782537)
That is one of the top 5 all time South Park episodes of all time.

Without a doubt, and I'm kind of ashamed to admit I had no idea Casa Bonita actually existed.

If it's anything like it is in the show, it must be pretty bad ass!

DaFace 08-13-2021 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief (Post 15782542)
Without a doubt, and I'm kind of ashamed to admit I had no idea Casa Bonita actually existed.

It is absolutely identical to the way they portray it in the show. They actually exaggerated very little of it.

cabletech94 08-13-2021 02:49 PM

I lol’d when I saw this!!!

Hilarious!! Casa Bonita yeeeeeeeeeah!!! /Eric cartman

Chiefspants 08-13-2021 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 15782543)
It is absolutely identical to the way they portray it in the show. They actually exaggerated very little of it.

May as well call it a Ken Burns like documentary. Acid trip from start to finish.

Darien25 08-13-2021 02:56 PM

Great, fun place. I always loved going there and honestly the food was never as bad as advertised. Cliff divers and the gorilla are the shiznit.

KCUnited 08-13-2021 03:08 PM

One the first wow moments I can remember as a kid.

ChiefBlueCFC 08-13-2021 03:09 PM

I didn't even know it was a real place for a long long time. Same with City Wok... they actually have a restaurant in the denver airport... thank u for callin shitty wok take ur order pree

MMXcalibur 08-13-2021 03:10 PM

Quote:

Well, yeah...until New England 10, LA Rams 3

Chiefspants 08-13-2021 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMXcalibur (Post 15782572)
Well, yeah...until New England 10, LA Rams 3

I'm pretty sure that Super Bowl was cancelled after the 1:01 mark of that year's AFC championship game.

eDave 08-13-2021 03:16 PM

<iframe width="420" height="320" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9ent49rwKXI" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mr. tegu 08-13-2021 03:16 PM

How is that part of town these days?

Brody Wa 08-13-2021 03:23 PM

Applebee’s food tastes like it came out of Fat Bastard’s ass…the villain in Austin Powers.

sedated 08-13-2021 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 15782514)
This cracks me up. They've apparently reached "**** you money" level

‘South Park’ Creators Sign Massive New $900 Million Deal With ViacomCBS

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...pisodes-movies

louie aguiar 08-13-2021 03:32 PM

City Wok next?

Bump 08-13-2021 03:42 PM

ate their once when I traveled there for vacation. Was cool I guess but I wasn't overly impressed or anything.

BWillie 08-13-2021 03:46 PM

I want them to make a "CITY WOK" as well. Sign on door needs to say "DAMN YU MONGORIANS!!"

MTG#10 08-13-2021 04:04 PM

Holy shit, had no idea that was a real place. That's spectacular.

Zebedee DuBois 08-13-2021 04:10 PM

I last went there 35-40 years ago.
My first visit, I thought it was way cool.
After the newness of the 'cool' wore off, you noticed the food is fairly mediocre.
Anyway, fond memories, I hope they make it into a place people value.

GayFrogs 08-13-2021 04:35 PM

This is a big dick pat mahomes style move

SuperBowl4 08-13-2021 04:47 PM

:thumb: TEAM AMERICA: WORLD POLICE :thumb:

vailpass 08-13-2021 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief (Post 15782542)

Oh it’s real. And the sopapillas are fantastic. Just put up your flag. The rest of the food is…average. But the caves and atmosphere are iconic. Very cool these guys are coming to the rescue.

FAX 08-13-2021 04:54 PM

Is this the place with the dining room cliff divers?

FAX

vailpass 08-13-2021 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 15782672)
Is this the place with the dining room cliff divers?

FAX

Yep. It’s a thing.

DaFace 08-13-2021 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 15782671)
Oh it’s real. And the sopapillas are fantastic. Just put up your flag. The rest of the food is…average. But the caves and atmosphere are iconic. Very cool these guys are coming to the rescue.

Calling the food average is being kind. It's basically the equivalent of stadium nachos.

vailpass 08-13-2021 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 15782675)
Calling the food average is being kind. It's basically the equivalent of stadium nachos.

No argument here. It’s been years but I love the place and hope they upgrade the food and maintain all very unique personality of the place. And keep the sopapillas.

sully1983 08-13-2021 05:10 PM

Haha that is awesome! Love Trey & Matt.

Kellerfox 08-13-2021 05:48 PM

Quote:

Your statement is insulting to stadium nachos! They are heads and shoulders above Casa Bonita!

I visited ~6 years ago. I had very low expectations of the food going in and was fine with that - visiting was about the experience not the food. However, the food we received was literally inedible. I was expecting something on par with Taco Bell or other regional fast food taco chain... Cheap and low quality. Would have been completely happy with that given the unique atmosphere and entertainment. What we got was purple and foul tasting ground beef tacos, stale taco shells, brown tomatoes, and burnt rice and beans. No one in our party could mustee more than a bite or two. Pretty awful for ~$25/plate... But we still had an enjoyable time overall reliving the South Park episode and enjoying the interior.

I'd totally be down for giving it another shot in the future.

Rain Man 08-13-2021 06:00 PM

I've lived in Denver for almost three decades and I've never been there. I probably should go, but I don't like bad food and everyone - EVERYONE - says it's bad.

Trivia note: a past tenant of mine was a former cliff diver there.

FAX 08-13-2021 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 15782674)
Yep. It’s a thing.

LOL ... yes, it is.

I was there once. This mariachi band kept crowding our table. Apparently, they decided to serenade the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX until I told one of the dudes to get his freaking Vihuela out of my face.

FAX

Baby Lee 08-13-2021 06:09 PM

Speaking of restaurant and spectacle and America, **** Yeah!!!

The cheesy bacon, apple pie hotdog.

https://imagesvc.meredithcorp.io/v3/...T-BLOG0821.jpg

Buehler445 08-13-2021 06:09 PM

Quote:

Donk ville rejoiced after the Cheatriot ****bag/LA Rams Super Bowl?

I’m confused. :D

Rainbarrel 08-13-2021 06:17 PM

Complimentary fish sticks at every table.

Otter 08-13-2021 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 15782722)
I've lived in Denver for almost three decades and I've never been there. I probably should go, but I don't like bad food and everyone - EVERYONE - says it's bad.

Trivia note: a past tenant of mine was a former cliff diver there.

Looks kind of gimmicky to me. To many good places to eat in Denver that don't remind me of a frat party.

Otter 08-13-2021 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellerfox (Post 15782708)
Your statement is insulting to stadium nachos! They are heads and shoulders above Casa Bonita!

I visited ~6 years ago. I had very low expectations of the food going in and was fine with that - visiting was about the experience not the food. However, the food we received was literally inedible. I was expecting something on par with Taco Bell or other regional fast food taco chain... Cheap and low quality. Would have been completely happy with that given the unique atmosphere and entertainment. What we got was purple and foul tasting ground beef tacos, stale taco shells, brown tomatoes, and burnt rice and beans. No one in our party could mustee more than a bite or two. Pretty awful for ~$25/plate... But we still had an enjoyable time overall reliving the South Park episode and enjoying the interior.

I'd totally be down for giving it another shot in the future.

Go for a grilled cheese next time. Even my wife can't mess those up.

Too bad anyway.

Rain Man 08-13-2021 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 15782731)
LOL ... yes, it is.

I was there once. This mariachi band kept crowding our table. Apparently, they decided to serenade the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX until I told one of the dudes to get his freaking Vihuela out of my face.

FAX

I just learned a new word.

DaFace 08-13-2021 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 15782747)
Go for a grilled cheese next time. Even my wife can't mess those up.

Too bad anyway.

Not an option. The place is basically a cafeteria that has like 3 options for pre-made entrees. It is entirely built around getting people through the line.

It also seats like 1000.

Pitt Gorilla 08-13-2021 06:44 PM

Loved Casa Bonita as a kid. Pretty sure they had one in Tulsa. More recently, I hit the one in Denver.

RaidersOftheCellar 08-13-2021 07:49 PM

Been there a few times. Didn’t realize it was world famous or had been the subject of a South Park episode.

Redbled 08-13-2021 08:15 PM

As a kid we went there every time we went skiing. We made up songs about it with our cousins. Used to tie the glow necklaces to the outside mirrors for overnight return trips to KC to make them last longer. I don’t care how the food tastes the place is iconic.

mr. tegu 08-13-2021 08:24 PM

The sopapillas are great. It’s not the easiest place to get to if I recall correctly for tourists. I asked earlier but no answer. How is that neighborhood these days? I don’t recall it being unsafe or anything, just kind of older and a bit run down but I might be misremembering.

HemiEd 08-13-2021 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 15782529)
ROFL

The place is iconic and awful all at the same time. I think it's kind of the equivalent of when the Chiefs brought in Andy. Everyone knows there's potential but just needs someone who knows what they're doing (and in this case, has some money) to fix it up a bit.

My mother (RIP) took me there about 40 years ago, it was an experience.

DaFace 08-13-2021 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 15782817)
The sopapillas are great. It’s not the easiest place to get to if I recall correctly for tourists. I asked earlier but no answer. How is that neighborhood these days? I don’t recall it being unsafe or anything, just kind of older and a bit run down but I might be misremembering.

Eh, it's definitely an older, run down neighborhood. I don't necessarily think it's a high crime area, but there aren't a ton of reasons that one would normally find themselves in that area.

Rain Man 08-13-2021 08:38 PM

Quote:

I almost never go to that part of town, but my impression is that it's not glitzy but not dangerous.

Stewie 08-13-2021 09:10 PM

Mmmmm... Snacky Cakes, Cheesy Poofs and Coo-Coo Chips now available at Casa Bonita!

ChiefsCountry 08-13-2021 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 15782823)
Eh, it's definitely an older, run down neighborhood. I don't necessarily think it's a high crime area, but there aren't a ton of reasons that one would normally find themselves in that area.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/so...c/CtPaTown.jpg

underEJ 08-13-2021 09:50 PM

Always loved the place as a kid, but the food was iffy all the way back to the seventies. It was edible back then, but it hasn't been for a while now at Denver. We went to the Tulsa location as a kid sometimes too, but I am not sure if it was better or worse. If they fix the gross food, I'll take the nieces and nephews and grandkids when we go to Colorado every couple of years. Nostalgia is powerful stuff.

ClevelandBronco 08-13-2021 10:56 PM

Once. Twice is too much. See it once then laugh about it when it crosses your mind.

ClevelandBronco 08-13-2021 11:03 PM

Quote:

Speaking as a guy that grew up in the Cleveland area and who has lived in Denver for three decades, I’d say there are no dangerous neighborhoods in Denver. There are run down neighborhoods for sure, but none that I’d consider dangerous.

CoMoChief 08-13-2021 11:48 PM

This ep and the Awesome-O robot friend are the 2 best eps that involve Butters and Cartman.

GayFrogs 08-14-2021 02:28 AM

Super fun time is pretty great

Holladay 08-14-2021 02:48 AM

Shows how much I know:(

Football forum: Some football dudes went in and bought some restaurant in Denver. Happens all the time. Is it really thread worthy? Dunno. The Trey dude is teams DE and the Matt dude is his best friend as a LB from another team. They went to college together.

I surmised all this from the thread name on the Lounge main page.

After 2 days, was bored and clicked.

D'OH

As you can guess, I have only seen 2 episodes of South Park. I just watched the Casa Bonita one. Pretty good. I will have to try and watch more.

HC_Chief 08-14-2021 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 15782927)
Speaking as a guy that grew up in the Cleveland area and who has lived in Denver for three decades, I’d say there are no dangerous neighborhoods in Denver. There are run down neighborhoods for sure, but none that I’d consider dangerous.

Colfax used to be pretty rough back in the day. Did they clean it up?

FYI Matt & Trey apparently have been going to Casa Bonita since they were kids. When they were considering the purchase their main goal, aside from closing the deal, was to vastly improve the food. A place like that doesn't have to serve airplane food...it is not that much work and cost to make really good Mexican food; it just takes some pride in the work you do.

DaFace 08-14-2021 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HC_Chief (Post 15783128)
Colfax used to be pretty rough back in the day. Did they clean it up?

FYI Matt & Trey apparently have been going to Casa Bonita since they were kids. When they were considering the purchase their main goal, aside from closing the deal, was to vastly improve the food. A place like that doesn't have to serve airplane food...it is not that much work and cost to make really good Mexican food; it just takes some pride in the work you do.

Central and East Colfax aren't necessarily rough,but they're definitely inner city. West Colfax is just old.

vailpass 08-14-2021 09:26 AM

I lived on Quebec off of Colfax for 2 years in the ‘90s. It was shady but not dangerous. Our home bar was the Drift Inn. Tons of characters there.

mililo4cpa 08-14-2021 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louie aguiar (Post 15782614)
City Wok next?

lol....this was my first thought.....

Rain Man 08-14-2021 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 15782927)

Yeah, compared to other big cities, the worst neighborhoods in Denver are places that don't mow their lawn as often as they should.

Chiefspants 08-14-2021 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15782733)
Donk ville rejoiced after the Cheatriot ****bag/LA Rams Super Bowl?

I’m confused. :D

I'm pretty sure the Super Bowl you're referring to was cancelled after that AFCCG, and I refuse to be told any differently. ;)

Demonpenz 08-14-2021 10:15 AM

you think depeche mode is gay?

ChiefsCountry 08-14-2021 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holladay (Post 15782974)
Shows how much I know:(

Football forum: Some football dudes went in and bought some restaurant in Denver. Happens all the time. Is it really thread worthy? Dunno. The Trey dude is teams DE and the Matt dude is his best friend as a LB from another team. They went to college together.

I surmised all this from the thread name on the Lounge main page.

After 2 days, was bored and clicked.

D'OH

As you can guess, I have only seen 2 episodes of South Park. I just watched the Casa Bonita one. Pretty good. I will have to try and watch more.

Watch these episodes:
Scott Tenorman Must Die
Good Times With Weapons
Make Love, Not Warcraft
Butters Bottom Bitch

GayFrogs 08-14-2021 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 15783237)
Watch these episodes:
Scott Tenorman Must Die
Good Times With Weapons
Make Love, Not Warcraft
Butters Bottom Bitch

And be prepared for some hard to watch moments...remember the evidence bag in that last one? ROFL

vailpass 08-14-2021 12:34 PM

Randy is the king. Mr. Garrison is the queen.

Donger 08-14-2021 12:42 PM

I had to look the place up, and I live in Denver metro...

LMAO

Holladay 08-14-2021 02:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry View Post
Watch these episodes:
Scott Tenorman Must Die
Good Times With Weapons
Make Love, Not Warcraft
Butters Bottom Bitch
And be prepared for some hard to watch moments...remember the evidence bag in that last one?
Thanks, will do. It has been on my list, not gotten around to it.

That last title and Gayfrogs comment, might forgo that episode.....NOT. I just won't watch while I am eating though.

MTG#10 08-14-2021 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 15783237)
Watch these episodes:
Scott Tenorman Must Die
Good Times With Weapons
Make Love, Not Warcraft
Butters Bottom Bitch

Scott Tenorman Must Die is by far the best episode in my opinion. The ending is so effed up.

ROFL

Buddy Rich 08-14-2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15783766)
Scott Tenorman Must Die is by far the best episode in my opinion. The ending is so effed up.

ROFL

Woodland Critter Christmas and Le Petit Tourette are two of the greatest things to ever hit TV

rabblerouser 08-14-2021 07:15 PM

Quote:

I've had some pretty baller stadium nachos.

ChiefsCountry 08-14-2021 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddy Rich (Post 15783810)
Woodland Critter Christmas and Le Petit Tourette are two of the greatest things to ever hit TV

Both in my top 10. Woodland Critters just missed being in the top 5 for me.

DeepPurple 08-14-2021 07:47 PM

This brings back memories. I know nothing about South Park, but in the 70s I got free airline flights, actually rode in the jump seat in the cockpit. I had a former brother in-law move to Denver and I visited them in '78 twice.

They took me to a Mexican restaurant that had caves and all kinds of Disney like decor, I had totally forgot about the place. This is 42 years ago. I thought Denver was so neat I went back again later that same year.

Went to a club called Mr. Lucky's, it was suppose to be the oldest rock club in Colorado. The first floor was a disco, I remember looking in and seeing about 5 people in the disco. Downstairs, the rock club was a whole different scene. About 500 or more people listening to a Led Zeppelin tribute band, they were excellent. Another night a band came out and played the whole first Cars album, I had not heard of the Cars or their music yet since it was so new. I thought this band was really great. We went about 5 times. Weird part is you go at 8:00 and it's 70 degrees outside and when you come out at 2 am it's 30 degrees, when that sun set, it sets.

Went to a neat theater in a shopping called the Rainbow, I guess it use to be a movie theater. In the lobby the walls were covered with gold records awarded to the owner of the place. That week they had Journey, Blondie & Ambrosia, we made the night Ambrosia played and their album "Life Beyond LA" had just came out. It really rocked, the theater's acoustic were perfect. About 1500 people listening to a band and it sounded like a loud stereo. A couple years later they turned sappy with the "180" album. Don't go see Ambrosia now, the original singer guitarist David Pack is not with the band, the bass player owns the name.

Went to Central City, an old west town in the mountains above Golden and the Coors factory. They said it was 107 degrees and we were in an un-air conditioned Opal GT and didn't sweat, felt comfortable, humidity was 7%. Neat place, cowboys shooting at each other and falling off buildings. I wanted to go to Red Rocks but they had nobody good playing.

When I left the first time, it was April and the weather was really nice, after I got home in Florida they said it snowed four days later.

rabblerouser 08-14-2021 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15783766)

ROFL

It was definitely one of the best until PC Principal/Tegridy Farms. They actually stepped it up. The "You're breaking the rules!" Cartman as Brady and Goodell is ****ing GENIUS.

saphojunkie 08-15-2021 08:33 AM

The season about the election with Randy as the internet troll wasn’t just funny. It was art.

The whole season was ****ing magic.

When Denmark hunts all the internet trolls, locks them up, then tells them the key to getting out is watching a video…

Baby Lee 08-15-2021 02:22 PM

youtube algorithm strikes again!!

<iframe width="1110" height="624" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/S6k26GDq9_0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rabblerouser 08-15-2021 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 15784636)
The season about the election with Randy as the internet troll wasn’t just funny. It was art.

The whole season was ****ing magic.

When Denmark hunts all the internet trolls, locks them up, then tells them the key to getting out is watching a video…

It was Gerald as the internet troll aka "skankhunt42"

rabblerouser 08-15-2021 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15782582)
I'm pretty sure that Super Bowl was cancelled after the 1:01 mark of that year's AFC championship game.

Should've been with about 1:01 left in that year's NFC Championship Game.

Talk about a travesty. Should've been Mahomes vs Brees.

Instead, we got Kroenke vs HandiKraft.

Only Super Bowl I haven't watched since I was a kid in the 80s. Like, before the Super Bowl Shuffle.

threebag 08-15-2021 07:38 PM

We stopped every time we went through on trips. Ton of fun for kids and the food was better than ShowBiz Pizza.

Kiimo 08-15-2021 08:19 PM

Not enough ASSPEN in this thread.