ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Prayer Request With over 2 million hectares of land burned so far... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=327279)

Nickhead 12-10-2019 11:37 PM

With over 2 million hectares of land burned so far...

1 Attachment(s)
and probably another 2 million before it's done, this will be the largest combined set of bush fires Australia has seen in modern times. Where we are at, the fires are set to reach our mountain ranges in the next three to four days. Me personally (and the fam) aren't necessarily in harms way as we live in the center of town, but the rural area's about to be affected will be in harms way severly. Just our bush fire that started in the Wollemi National Forest, is more than three times that of all the fires in California combined... this does not include any of the other fires currently burning.

This image is of our back yard. The town is about two miles in diameter, and you can only see about 100 yards away, if that.

Buehler445 12-10-2019 11:43 PM

Shit man. Stay safe. Fire is nothing to **** with. There was a fire around Johnson Kansas that was moving 42MPH. That’s horrifying.

I had a fire on a field once and the farm wasn’t right for 5 years.

FTR that is almost 5 million acres. Or 7500 square miles. That’s for real man.

SuperBowl4 12-10-2019 11:45 PM

Put another shrimp on the barbie mate:thumb:

Nickhead 12-10-2019 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14649488)
Shit man. Stay safe. Fire is nothing to **** with. There was a fire around Johnson Kansas that was moving 42MPH. That’s horrifying.

I had a fire on a field once and the farm wasn’t right for 5 years.

FTR that is almost 5 million acres. Or 7500 square miles. That’s for real man.

this fire is larger than the Greater Sydney basin. The smoke is so bad in sydney from this fire alone that it's setting off fire alarms and spooking people. Some mass transit there has shut down as it's impossible to not choke people out on the buses and trains.

Nickhead 12-10-2019 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperBowl4 (Post 14649490)
Put another shrimp on the barbie mate:thumb:

no room on the grill with all the other animals being burnt to a crisp. kid you not, it literally smells like i have a roast on the smoker around here. imagine planting your face at the top of a smoke chimney and trying to breathe. it's 'almost' that bad, and will get worse in the next four days. one would imagine you will see almost everyone outside with different sorts of breathing apparatus' on.

Bugeater 12-11-2019 12:05 AM

Maybe you guys should like....ummm...put it out or something.

Gadzooks 12-11-2019 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 14649509)
Maybe you guys should like....ummm...put it out or something.

That's what I would do.

Nickhead 12-11-2019 12:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 14649511)
That's what I would do.

ROFL, one person wrote on the cities facebook 'what's the fires like in your town'

First repy:

Very Hot

This image is of rain radar. Problem is. It’s not rain.

Gadzooks 12-11-2019 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 14649518)
ROFL, one person wrote on the cities facebook 'what's the fires like in your town'

First repy:

Very Hot

Well the Aussies are known for blunt humor, stay safe.

You guys should get that Greta Thunberg kid in there. She can shame you out of your climate crisis.

BWillie 12-11-2019 12:46 AM

I would hide in the pouch of a marsupial until this all blows over.

Gadzooks 12-11-2019 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14649531)
I would hide in the pouch of a marsupial until this all blows over.

You'd become a "Hot Pocket":
[IMG]https://i.redd.it/kpg3m3euwod11.png[/IMG]

Nickhead 12-11-2019 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 14649524)
Well the Aussies are known for blunt humor, stay safe.

You guys should get that Greta Thunberg kid in there. She can shame you out of your climate crisis.

the irony in your statement: for years every one has lobbied for controlled burns, but the greenies said nooooooo, it will kill a roo. so after 20 years or more, the region just becomes a powder keg (and 10000 roos die, 4000 koalas, and uncountable numbers of other animals). then when the fires erupt like now, they will claim global warming is the cause. it's like if instead of burning that pile of leaves every year, you are now forbidden to burn it, but have to still stack the leaves in the same pile. then twenty years later lightning strikes and you've now burnt your house down along with it :D

Gadzooks 12-11-2019 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 14649536)
the irony in your statement: for years every one has lobbied for controlled burns, but the greenies said nooooooo, it will kill a roo. so after 20 years or more, the region just becomes a powder keg (and 10000 roos die, 4000 koalas, and uncountable numbers of other animals). then when the fires erupt like now, they will claim global warming is the cause. it's like if instead of burning that pile of leaves every year, you are now forbidden to burn it, but have to still stack the leaves in the same pile. then twenty years later lightning strikes and you've now burnt your house down along with it :D

Why isn't this message being spread to the masses? (cause and current damage).
2 M hectares should at least get people to wake up. In my little bubble all I'm hearing is there's "fires in Australia". No one seems to give a shit.
From my menial understanding of Australia as a country, this is a big ****in' deal.

Nickhead 12-11-2019 02:23 AM

not that the threat is any less now by any means, but if you could see the radar info for the last four hours... it's amazing. it looked like the hour hand reversing directions from 6pm to 1pm like motion...

i use weatherzone.com.au ****ing brilliant, hey :thumb:

Rasputin 12-11-2019 03:14 AM

Hope it burns all snakes spiders and crocks and everything Australia is deadly for.

Just add fire to the country of death habitat.

HMc 12-11-2019 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 14649542)
Why isn't this message being spread to the masses? (cause and current damage).
2 M hectares should at least get people to wake up. In my little bubble all I'm hearing is there's "fires in Australia". No one seems to give a shit.
From my menial understanding of Australia as a country, this is a big ****in' deal.

The post you responded to was baseless AM radio bullshit. There's no environmentalist or "greenie" conspiracy to prevent controlled burning.

The Green political party holds one (of 150) seat in the federal house of reps and 3 (of 93) in New South Wales. Clearly any public policy failure will be entirely their fault, what with their close to supermajority representation in parliament.

It is true that some areas prohibit DIY burning, but if you consider tha half the state is currently on fire, it should be fairly obvious as to why we don't let Joe Sixpack do his own bonfires.

notorious 12-11-2019 06:32 AM

Mother Nature finally listened when enough people said to “kill it with fire” as it pertains to venomous Australian wildlife.

BlackHelicopters 12-11-2019 06:34 AM

Good luck.

MahiMike 12-11-2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

So sorry to hear that the deadly virus known as leftism has spread faster than that fire.

KurtCobain 12-11-2019 08:47 AM

I wish the best for our Australian friends.

Halfcan 12-11-2019 09:32 AM

Praying you guys to get some rain down there to end the suffering. Best wishes to you and your family.

Fish 12-11-2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

You are repeating the claims of Barnaby Joyce of the Nationals party. But it's not true. Australia has had political issues with climate change for a long time now, even as droughts have been steadily increasing for years. The truth is that brushfire hazard reduction has actually increased over the last few years.

Quote:

Factcheck: Is there really a green conspiracy to stop bushfire hazard reduction?

Large parts of New South Wales have been in the grip of catastrophic fire weather this week as firefighters desperately work to save homes, properties and lives.

But as firefighters try and beat back the bushfires, a familiar blame game began with critics pointing fingers at “greenies”, claiming they get in the way of hazard reduction efforts that might have reduced the size and scale of the disaster.

“These are very tired and very old conspiracy theories that get a run after most major fires,” says Prof Ross Bradstock, the director of the centre for environmental risk management of bushfires at the University of Wollongong, who has been researching bushfires for 40 years.

“They’ve been extensively dealt with in many inquiries.”

The chief accuser is Nationals MP Barnaby Joyce who says “greens policy” gets in the way “of many of the practicalities of fighting a fire and managing it”.

Among Joyce’s claims, made in several interviews this week, are that Greens policies have made hazard reduction activities more difficult.

This claim, just to be clear, is about the policies of a party that has never been in government.

Joyce also blamed the Greens for “paperwork” that made it harder to carry out hazard reduction activities.

“It’s not burning because they burnt off, it’s burning because they didn’t burn off,” Joyce told SkyNews.

According to Bradstock, Joyce’s claims are familiar but “without foundation.”

“It’s simply conspiracy stuff. It’s an obvious attempt to deflect the conversation away from climate change.”

A former NSW fire and rescue commissioner, Greg Mullins, has written this week that the hotter and drier conditions, and the higher fire danger ratings, were preventing agencies from carrying out prescribed burning.

He said: “Blaming ‘greenies’ for stopping these important measures is a familiar, populist, but basically untrue claim.”

[...]

A spokesperson for the NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment has told Guardian Australia that the National Parks and Wildlife Service carried out hazard reduction activities across more than 139,000ha in 2018 and 2019.

The NPWS had a hazard reduction target to treat 680,000ha of parks and reserves in the five years from 2011, which the spokesperson said it had exceeded.

“Hazard reduction work has increased because of increased funding to the RFS and to national parks. There has been more carried out in recent years than in previous decades.”

The Public Service Association has also attacked the NSW government for what it said was a “35% cut to fire-trained positions” in national parks.

Its acting general secretary, Troy Wright, said on Tuesday: “It is the Nationals who hold the purse string. Rather than funding the NPWS properly so that they can undertake strategic reductions they have crippled them with massive budget cuts and devastating restructures.”

The NSW environment minister, Matt Kean, told Guardian Australia that NPWS had 1,665 full time equivalent staff, a rise of 144 since 2017.

Rain Man 12-11-2019 12:30 PM

I'm going to react to this as soon as I figure out how big a hectare is.

KurtCobain 12-11-2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14650242)

Well, according to Greek and Roman mythology he was a Trojan prince and the greatest fighter for Troy in the Trojan War. That's pretty big.

Nickhead 12-11-2019 11:24 PM

I probably should have stated when I say 'greenies', I am talking about the environmentalists out there, not the political party. the pressure they put on all parties is a given though.

now as to how many controlled burns there are over the years, even our local RFS fighters say they aren't allowed to do the burns they know need done. so there is that :thumb:

eDave 12-11-2019 11:36 PM

Quote:

One hectare equals 0.00386102 square miles.

Better stated, for an approximate result, divide the area value by 258.999.

Bugeater 12-11-2019 11:49 PM

****ing thread has turned into a goddamn math class.

Nickhead 12-12-2019 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 14651184)
****ing thread has turned into a goddamn math class.

ROFL

I love throwing out metric units to the CP units here :thumb:

Nickhead 12-12-2019 12:36 AM

Just to get an idea as to the size of the fires....

1 Attachment(s)
This is only the Blue Mountains fires. Over 350,000 hectares burnt as of today.

The area shaded in red is our region. The fire is about two to three days away, currently within a 15km range.

Nickhead 12-12-2019 01:37 AM

I learned something today regarding mines and operations. There are huge converyor belts that transfer the coal to the power plants and washeries. In transit, this coal will bounce dust below the conveyors. Over time this dust becomes a literal 'wick'. If luck would have it, and the fire reaches a mine, or the transfer line, it 'could' spark out like lightning strikes to other areas. Not that it will, but you never think of things like this. They have suspended operations at one of the mines and will probably make two by tomorrow. Again, you never think of it, but with such poor air quality to circulate air to the miners, and risk of ember ignition underground. you can't mine.

whoduthunket?

Bugeater 12-12-2019 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 14651213)
I learned something today regarding mines and operations. There are huge converyor belts that transfer the coal to the power plants and washeries. In transit, this coal will bounce dust below the conveyors. Over time this dust becomes a literal 'wick'. If luck would have it, and the fire reaches a mine, or the transfer line, it 'could' spark out like lightning strikes to other areas. Not that it will, but you never think of things like this. They have suspended operations at one of the mines and will probably make two by tomorrow. Again, you never think of it, but with such poor air quality to circulate air to the miners, and risk of ember ignition underground. you can't mine.

whoduthunket?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NSIjB96H4Sc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chiefs=Champions 12-12-2019 02:42 AM

This has been a horror season so far. We have been much luckier down South, but fires seem to be far more common than seasons past. The air pollution in Sydney has been horrendous due to the fires apparently.

Nickhead 12-12-2019 03:14 AM

as it stands, we could get an inch of rain over night and it wouldn't do a thing to the fires. :cuss:

Buehler445 12-12-2019 03:40 AM

Quote:

I put it in the second post yo

Mike in SW-MO 12-12-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

2.5 acres per hectare.

Good enough approximation.

Bugeater 12-12-2019 10:38 AM

Thanks Mike, that was very helpful!

Anyone know how big an acre is...?

HayWire 12-12-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 14651505)

Approximately twice the size of a half acre

InChiefsHeaven 12-12-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 14651197)
ROFL

I love throwing out metric units to the CP units here :thumb:

Basically, 1 hectaire = 2.47 acres...

...or it's a big ass fire...

InChiefsHeaven 12-12-2019 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HayWire (Post 14651560)
Approximately twice the size of a half acre

Give or take...

ghak99 12-12-2019 01:03 PM

Quote:

LMAO

A football field is ~1 1/3 acres.

Nickhead 12-13-2019 11:52 PM

as of the latest update:

acres burnt: 899,500 acres

Nickhead 12-13-2019 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghak99 (Post 14651810)
LMAO

A football field is ~1 1/3 acres.

in other words:

270,700 football fields (just this one fire alone)

we did have burnt gumtree leaves fall into our carpark today. we are three kilometers away from that section of fire.

Buehler445 12-14-2019 02:05 AM

Quote:

16.5 ft by half a mile.

Or

43560 sq ft

FWIW 16.5 ft is a rod. Apparently it was a common unit of measurement in the day. And we thought CP had high opinions of ourselves. :D

Nickhead 12-15-2019 11:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
time to batton down the hatches. embers are now lighting spot fires. got the sprinklers going on the yard closest to the house for the next day or two. it's amazing how nice it was this morning with the westerly wind. in about twenty minutes time, it shifted easterly and the area is back to covered in smoke. a couple of our employees was working the local mine and they booted them off the property, and are in full fire mode. there is an out of control grass fire within a half mile of where i work. it started shortly after we finished for the day. before the night is over, we will cross the 400,000 hectares burnt mark. :cuss:

https://www.facebook.com/7NEWSsydney...2721727480666/

Nickhead 12-21-2019 02:25 PM

well, the fire finally made it here. a couple homes lost. the fire is actually on two fronts. the next front could make it to our mountain ridge in the next couple days.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BW2UjLTqRQo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Flopnuts 12-21-2019 02:35 PM

How are you doing Nick? This is monumental shit. I'm worried about y'all.

DaFace 12-21-2019 02:38 PM

Damn. Seems like wildfires have been nuts in the past few years. Best of luck.

Naptown Chief 12-21-2019 02:53 PM

Holy shit man. Best of luck

Rasputin 12-21-2019 03:04 PM

Be safe Nickhead and your family and friends and save some Fosters

Spoiler!

Mennonite 12-21-2019 03:18 PM

Need to build a wall around Australia before this shit spreads to the civilized world.

Nickhead 12-21-2019 03:38 PM

if we can keep the second front from moving too fast, it should be okay. but if the back side of the valley catches, there are a hundred or so houses built up under the trees, rather than on the edge of the valley. that is what saved most of the houses from yesterdays fire. we are all on watch and act now. on a side note. due to the highway closures, and leading up to the holidays, no transport can come in to restock the shelves at the local shops.

mlyonsd 12-21-2019 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naptown Chief (Post 14669043)
Holy shit man. Best of luck

This. Stay safe man.

AussieChiefsFan 01-09-2020 07:22 AM

Late to this thread. But just as an update, as we approach mid-January an area larger than the size of England has been burnt across several states. We've had several days of over 40 degrees C (~115 F) since Mid-December and each time it happens all these fires grow in size. Those that remember me from when I was a regular around here know I'm from Sydney, so I'm fine. But I have family members who have been impacted by the fires. Hope OP is safe, I know up in the Blue Mountains its been very bed for a month now.

Hog's Gone Fishin 01-09-2020 07:25 AM

Where you at Nickhead??????

AussieChiefsFan 01-09-2020 07:39 AM

Warnings like this are pretty common at the moment. This map shows the current highest risk areas on the NSW south coast, so Sydney is just to the north of the top of this map. And for scale, the top of the map to the bottom is about 250 miles.

Quote:

https://www.facebook.com/nswincident...31035753590576
"⚠️ FIRE SPREAD PREDICTION - FRIDAY

Severe to Extreme fire danger is forecast for parts of NSW tomorrow, including southern areas of the state.

Temperatures are forecast to be in the high 30s to low 40s with hot, dry north-westerly winds and low humidity.

A south-westerly change will impact inland fires tomorrow afternoon and evening, and a gusty southerly change will impact coastal fires from late tomorrow evening, reaching Nowra around midnight.

These conditions will make fire behaviour erratic and dangerous.

This map display the potential predicted fire spread and the communities that may come under threat from embers or fire fronts. Other surrounding areas may still come under threat if conditions change, or if fires breach containment lines.

There may potentially be new fires burning in these areas that we do not yet know about, which may threaten you without warning.

Potential spread area - if your plan is to leave or you are not prepared, you should not be in this area on Friday. Move to a large town outside this area, or if you are on the South Coast, move to an area that has already been burnt or go to the beach. Stay away from the red areas.

Potential ember attack area - You are still at risk. If your plan is to leave or you are not prepared, you should not be in this area on Friday. New fires could start and spread quickly.

If you are in the general areas identified on this map, be vigilant for new fires that may start well ahead of the fire front."

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...90&oe=5E9EA6DC

Fish 01-09-2020 09:44 PM

Perspective:

https://i.imgur.com/iC2yPsc.png

They're predicting that over 500,000 animals have already died...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/03/aust...is-mounts.html

Bwana 01-09-2020 10:05 PM

It sounds like there is a lot of crazy pricks going around intentionally starting a lot of them.

Easy 6 01-09-2020 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14707961)
Perspective:

Wow

You turn on the news expecting to see things eventually under control, but it just keeps getting worse

If it wasn’t so true, that first graphic would be comical

Buehler445 01-09-2020 10:21 PM

Quote:

Perspective:

****ing ****. I was wondering why the hell wheat was rallying some.

BigRedChief 01-09-2020 11:06 PM

Quote:

Perspective:

I saw some YouTube vids of regular people driving out to the fires and filling their cars with koala’s to save them.

Chiefs=Champions 01-09-2020 11:11 PM

Fires got really close to my inlaws home in nsw. Like across the river close. Not out of it yet, they had to evacuate once and have been prepping the house ever since. We were lucky to get the last flight out of the Moruya airport on new years eve. The sky was red that day and the sun dark orange. Crossing the runway to our small plane was like something out of the apocalypse. Winds were blowing heavy suitcases away. Still feel guilty that we had to leave.

Kangaroo island in my home state (South Australia) has been under siege for a while now. A 3rd of the island has already burnt.

Getting used to the smell of smoke now. Every day in NSW we would wake up to smokey haze and the strong smell of smoke. Its like standing next to a barbeque. It has been a terrible season so far. Touched by the community spirit its brought out. The awareness of the fires and donations have been incredibly inspiring.

Fish 01-09-2020 11:13 PM

Kangaroo Island:

https://i.imgur.com/ObgIIqA.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RAvh1QX_a...8373441326.jpg

Chiefs=Champions 01-09-2020 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 14669108)
if we can keep the second front from moving too fast, it should be okay. but if the back side of the valley catches, there are a hundred or so houses built up under the trees, rather than on the edge of the valley. that is what saved most of the houses from yesterdays fire. we are all on watch and act now. on a side note. due to the highway closures, and leading up to the holidays, no transport can come in to restock the shelves at the local shops.

Glad to hear you are safe. Didn't realise it reached where you live. Went back and read the thread.

Chiefs=Champions 01-09-2020 11:17 PM

Ill add that flying over the fires was incredibly eye opening. I didnt realize or have any scope of things until seeing just how big the smoke plumes were. Truly horrifying

Fish 01-09-2020 11:26 PM

<iframe width="1182" height="665" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3dfPFxWTWF0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="1182" height="665" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NmyWqgBBhzY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="1182" height="665" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UpNFjLsg38Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BleedingRed 01-09-2020 11:33 PM

Quote:

Perspective:

The map on the left is a gross exaggeration if you zoom in the icons get smaller still bad tho

Nickhead 01-12-2020 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 14707990)
It sounds like there is a lot of crazy pricks going around intentionally starting a lot of them.

just short of 200 arrests for arsonists during this fire. one firie started 7 on his own.

that said, after 520,000 hectares burnt, the blue mountains fire is 'out'. this does not include current fires elsewhere. there is a current one that has merged on three fronts (i believe the media is milking the current situation, but...) this one merged fire is still less than the total burnt in our region. loss of any life is a real tragedy. and it is mass...

but i have seen photos of areas burnt early on, and there is beautiful new vegitation taking place of the old.

so we will recover, its just going to take time :thumb:

Buehler445 01-12-2020 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 14713874)
just short of 200 arrests for arsonists during this fire. one firie started 7 on his own.

that said, after 520,000 hectares burnt, the blue mountains fire is 'out'. this does not include current fires elsewhere. there is a current one that has merged on three fronts (i believe the media is milking the current situation, but...) this one merged fire is still less than the total burnt in our region. loss of any life is a real tragedy. and it is mass...

but i have seen photos of areas burnt early on, and there is beautiful new vegitation taking place of the old.

so we will recover, its just going to take time :thumb:

Holy ****. Arsonists are out there lighting this shit? What the ****ing ****?

F150 01-12-2020 09:40 AM

It will interest me a lot to watch the coverage by media of the regrowth and recovery that will come next.

Fires like this are horrific and create a lot of damage for sure. But the regrowth after natural fire events like this is simply hard to behold. The repopulation by native species is rapid and fantastic.

There will be a huge amount of misinformation and positioning for political reasons by people who seek to profit or gain leverage and that is really the suck.

The learning from this is we have to manage lands not abandon them to whatever happens. California proves it annually, Yellowstone should have been the wake up call all land managers needed but the land managers were overridden and we ignored the lesson. The Bitterroot was next and again the lessons were read and the politics overrode science.

bobbymitch 01-12-2020 09:42 AM

If those fires are half as intense as they look, that ground is going to be sterilized by the heat and lots of luck getting much of anything to grow back within a generation or two.

F150 01-12-2020 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 14708080)
The map on the left is a gross exaggeration if you zoom in the icons get smaller still bad tho

As I understand it the map on the left was from satellite heat sensing so it represents essentially nothing but garbage being passed on all over the internet. Big cities give off heat signatures that were included and have no relationship to what is claimed.

Mennonite 01-12-2020 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbymitch (Post 14714205)
If those fires are half as intense as they look, that ground is going to be sterilized by the heat and lots of luck getting much of anything to grow back within a generation or two.

Don't worry, Tina Turner is on top of this shit.

https://i.imgur.com/xTKusnw.jpg

F150 01-12-2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

A common misperception.

DaFace 01-12-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Eh, you'd be surprised. All that ash makes for great fertilizer. Grass will be back in a year. Shrubs in 4-5. Trees are the thing that takes forever to be back. It'll take 20 years to have anything resembling dense forest and a century before it really seems "normal" again.

Eureka 01-12-2020 12:30 PM

Quote:

A small town in Northern Cali (weaverville) that is surrounded by forest that I used to drive through often had its biggest fire in quite some time. The hills were black but 5 years later I was amazed at the regrowth and how fast nature came back to make everything green.

Nickhead 01-23-2020 10:20 PM

RIP to the three American firefighting pilots whose plane went down while helping with these blazes. :crybaby:

DaFace 01-24-2020 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 14748638)
RIP to the three American firefighting pilots whose plane went down while helping with these blazes. :crybaby:

Damn, that sucks. What's the latest on all of this? Is it so out of control that they're largely just letting it all go until the weather turns, or is there some end in sight?

neech 01-24-2020 01:07 PM

Quote:

LMAO

Nickhead 01-24-2020 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14749449)
Damn, that sucks. What's the latest on all of this? Is it so out of control that they're largely just letting it all go until the weather turns, or is there some end in sight?

i think they decided early on to let it burn itself out, aside from the obvious, trying to protect lives and property.

as far as intensity goes, there are spots that are still at great risk, but with over 14 million hectares been burnt, theres not much left.

there has been enough rain in general the last couple weeks, and with the heat tamped down a bit, it's more about fire management i think.

the plane going down was merely a freak accident. some are wondering aloud whether a plane that size has the structural strength to be dive bombing fires like this over extended periods of time.