ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The next major film franchise to get a reboot? Die Hard (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=324470)

Mephistopheles Janx 08-15-2019 12:56 PM

The next major film franchise to get a reboot? Die Hard

I remember a time when Disney, along with other major film studios, were institutions of art and not recycling centers.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...ard-franchise/

eDave 08-15-2019 01:49 PM

No

loochy 08-15-2019 03:20 PM

:shake:

sedated 08-15-2019 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 14395527)
I remember a time when Disney, along with other major film studios, were institutions of art and not recycling centers.

LMAO Movie studios were always in it to make money. Blame the audience that pays for tickets.

Also, this will likely suck and be forgotten.

displacedinMN 08-15-2019 03:47 PM

dear god,

No.

The World.

I avoid most 'reboots' because they usually suck.

If anyone tries to reboot Back to the Future.....I will hunt them down and kill them.

Frazod 08-15-2019 03:55 PM

:mad:

https://media1.giphy.com/media/Vz515uOwlNENW/source.gif

Baby Lee 08-15-2019 04:05 PM

So now it's a Disney property?

Yippee Kiyaay Mother****er ----> Zippity Doodah Silly Goose!!

patteeu 08-15-2019 04:07 PM

This seems completely unnecessary. Can't they just remake A Star Is Born again instead, with a cute female lead for a change?

Deberg_1990 08-15-2019 04:37 PM

gender flip?

Instead of John McClain we get Holly McClain as the hard ass New York city cop.

Scarlett Johannson as Holly!

Bowser 08-15-2019 05:14 PM

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/ToMjGpx9F5ktZw8qPUQ" width="480" height="392" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/the-office-no-michael-scott-ToMjGpx9F5ktZw8qPUQ">via GIPHY</a></p>

Raiderhater 08-15-2019 05:30 PM

Good grief. What’s next, a Godfather reboot?

notorious 08-15-2019 05:40 PM

Die Hard With a Vengeance was the last decent one.

The rest are shit, and this will be a ****ing pile of shit.

displacedinMN 08-15-2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderhader (Post 14395783)

With all women

Baby Lee 08-15-2019 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 14395847)
With all women

Speaking of which, there's yet ANOTHER NEWER WOKER!! Little Women about to come out.

It's like the 10th remake.

Raiderhater 08-15-2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

With all women

Stop it. That’s not funny.

displacedinMN 08-15-2019 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14395854)
Speaking of which, there's yet ANOTHER NEWER WOKER!! Little Women about to come out.

It's like the 10th remake.

But I am SURE it will be different than the others...............:banghead:

BigRedChief 08-15-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 14395638)
LMAO Movie studios were always in it to make money. Blame the audience that pays for tickets.

yep, if people would stop buying tickets, they will quit making them. It’s that simple.

Deberg_1990 08-15-2019 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14395902)
yep, if people would stop buying tickets, they will quit making them. It’s that simple.

Some of the problem is that most of the adult drama stuff heads straight to streaming now.

Theaters have become mostly the domain of the loud CGI blockbusters

BigRedChief 08-16-2019 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14395977)
Some of the problem is that most of the adult drama stuff heads straight to streaming now.

Theaters have become mostly the domain of the loud CGI blockbusters

Sure a lot of quality TV out there now. Big movie stars doing TV. I enjoy those shows despite not being on the TV screen.

Couple of decades ago a show like Cherynobol would have been made as a movie. The TV mini-series allowed them to show us the culture and system of government that in reality caused the meltdown.

Dayze 08-16-2019 08:34 AM

I think the last movie we went to see in the theater was The Departed.

WhiteWhale 08-16-2019 08:57 AM

Well, it worked so well with other time capsule hit action films like Total Recall and Robocop, it's totally worth it!

Okay, can someone point to an 80's/early 90's action property remade in the past 15 years that worked?

I'm not against remaking films, as some of my favorite films are remakes (scarface, the Thing) but I don't get this. Willis caught lightning in a bottle and Rickman went from nobody to a legit actor with this one role. Unless you can duplicate THAT, there's no point. Their performances made the movie what it was. It's not even fair to ASK actors to follow that.

DJJasonp 08-16-2019 08:58 AM

Dear Hollywood, Please leave the following alone:

Godfather
Caddyshack
Fletch
The Crow
Die Hard
Back to the Future
Indiana Jones
The Goonies
Etc Etc

Didnt work for Total Recall, Robocop, Ghostbusters.......etc etc.

Gravedigger 08-16-2019 09:45 AM

I think what they need to understand is that alot of these movies don't age well from the 80's. Premises of movies worked really well back then, but now, audiences expectations of a movie going experience have changed.

Baby Lee 08-16-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderhader (Post 14395783)

Still in theaters and already forgot

<iframe width="950" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y-1KllfX3Kg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Slightly different, but presaged by this from last year

<iframe width="950" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nN2yBBSRC78" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I mean, both of these are adaptations of existing properties, so the narrative has been around for a while. Just seems like they're funneling a shitload of the same stories into the feature release chute ATM. Could be a timing thing, like how the asteroid movies and earthquake movies and White House under attack movies seem to pile up on each other from time to time.

cabletech94 08-18-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

With all women

How about all playboy centerfolds?

Would that be okay?

Baby Lee 08-18-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJasonp (Post 14396346)
Dear Hollywood, Please leave the following alone:

Godfather
Caddyshack
Fletch
The Crow
Die Hard
Back to the Future
Indiana Jones
The Goonies
Etc Etc

Didnt work for Total Recall, Robocop, Ghostbusters.......etc etc.

The Fletch 'reboot' has been percolating so long that the highest profile named replacement Fletch [Sudekis] went from unknown to star to already aging out the role.

Fletch is a little different from all but Indiana Jones [which since the beginning has been a revival of the old weekly serials which has been around from the beginnning of cinema].

Fletch is a narrative property, with a number of novels at its disposal. So the closest analogy for it in terms of rebooting is Sherlock Holmes or Inspector Clouseau.

Deberg_1990 08-18-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14399565)
The Fletch 'reboot' has been percolating so long that the highest profile named replacement Fletch [Sudekis] went from unknown to star to already aging out the role.

Fletch is a little different from all but Indiana Jones [which since the beginning has been a revival of the old weekly serials which has been around from the beginnning of cinema].

Fletch is a narrative property, with a number of novels at its disposal. So the closest analogy for it in terms of rebooting is Sherlock Holmes or Inspector Clouseau.

Might as well gender flip that too then?

Melissa McCarthy as Fletch?

WhiteWhale 08-18-2019 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 14396445)
I think what they need to understand is that alot of these movies don't age well from the 80's. Premises of movies worked really well back then, but now, audiences expectations of a movie going experience have changed.

How has Die Hard not aged well?

The problem is Die Hard has been copied by a thousand other movies already and if they do one without Willis as McClaine it becomes indistinguishable from all of the rabble rip-offs it inspired.

displacedinMN 08-18-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabletech94 (Post 14399552)
How about all playboy centerfolds?

Would that be okay?

Hell of a lot better than the 4 in ghostbusters

Baby Lee 08-18-2019 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14399573)

Pretty far afield from the point I was making.

There's a difference between rebooting an existing work where you reimagine the same story told a different way, and reviving an existing work that already has a bunch of storylines that never got told.

Rebooting Casablanca, or The Godfather, is dumb because the entire story has been told and told pretty darn well.

Reviving Sherlock, or Fletch, or heck The Avengers [you ARE aware that there was an Avengers before the Avengers of today, right?], in order to realize a catalog of stories is different.

It can still go wrong, as can any translation from page to screen, but it's still different.

WhiteWhale 08-18-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14399661)

There's a difference between rebooting an existing work where you reimagine the same story told a different way, and reviving an existing work that already has a bunch of storylines that never got told.

Rebooting Casablanca, or The Godfather, is dumb because the entire story has been told and told pretty darn well.

Reviving Sherlock, or Fletch, or heck The Avengers [you ARE aware that there was an Avengers before the Avengers of today, right?], in order to realize a catalog of stories is different.

It can still go wrong, as can any translation from page to screen, but it's still different.

How did you enjoy the Coen's remake of True Grit?

That seems to fall into the category you are describing.

Baby Lee 08-18-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 14399667)
How did you enjoy the Coen's remake of True Grit?

That seems to fall into the category you are describing.

You know I love everything Coen.
Coen's usually do well because they put a compelling signature stamp on everything they do.
At worst, I'd call their True Grit superfluous, or unnecessary. But it's well made and not some wild reimagining, so it's not a debacle.

Frazod 08-18-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14399673)
You know I love everything Coen.
Coen's usually do well because they put a compelling signature stamp on everything they do.
At worst, I'd call their True Grit superfluous, or unnecessary. But it's well made and not some wild reimagining, so it's not a debacle.

Frankly, I thought it was massively superior to the original. Better performances from better actors all the way around. Hailee Steinfeld in particular was amazing. One of the best child actor performances ever.

The original True Grit isn't a bad movie, but I can think of a lot of John Wayne movies that I like better. The Oscar he won was more of a lifetime achievement award than anything else. It's one of those classic movies that just didn't live up to the hype. I feel the same way about African Queen; yeah, it's okay, but what's the big deal?

notorious 08-18-2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14399573)

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/Hospitable...er-max-1mb.gif

Ryan Reynolds is the only person that might pull off Fletch.

patteeu 08-18-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 14399743)

He’d be a good choice.

Frazod 08-18-2019 02:45 PM

Speaking of horrible remakes, did anyone actually watch the female remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels? From the reviews it was apparently as awful as it seemed it would be.

keg in kc 08-18-2019 02:48 PM

I'm not sure how to solve this problem. We can blame the studios, but as long as people are willing to shell out ridiculous amounts of dollars to see mediocre remakes (see: all the live-action Disney remakes...) and won't go into theaters for anything new, challenging or unfamiliar, the only shit that's ever going to get bankrolled is bullshit like this. Because they have a pretty good idea that all the people who saw and loved movies in the 80s and 90s are now grownups and likely to see a remake out of nostalgia, and if they won't, their kids probably will, because they've heard about how awesome it is all of their lives.

patteeu 08-18-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14399828)
Speaking of horrible remakes, did anyone actually watch the female remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels? From the reviews it was apparently as awful as it seemed it would be.

Who’s up for a remake of Charlie’s Angels with 3 buffed up gay dudes in the title roles? Can I get a show of hands? Maybe Jaclyn Smith can play the Bosley role.

Baby Lee 08-18-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14399714)
Frankly, I thought it was massively superior to the original. Better performances from better actors all the way around. Hailee Steinfeld in particular was amazing. One of the best child actor performances ever.

The original True Grit isn't a bad movie, but I can think of a lot of John Wayne movies that I like better. The Oscar he won was more of a lifetime achievement award than anything else. It's one of those classic movies that just didn't live up to the hype. I feel the same way about African Queen; yeah, it's okay, but what's the big deal?

I tried to be evenhanded, because I can truly see potential in both sides.

If someone had a lot of affection for the original, I can see them thinking that the Coen remake was superfluous, even if it was well made.

If someone was less than enamored of the original, I can see them applauding the Coen's doing a superior job.

And I . . . sort of . . . fall in the middle. I think both were good, and when I saw the remake I had long had lived with the experience of the original. But the Coen version was so well made, if I had seen it first, I probably wouldn't think as highly of the original.

Baby Lee 08-18-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 14399859)
Who’s up for a remake of Charlie’s Angels with 3 buffed up gay dudes in the title roles? Can I get a show of hands?

Hold on a minute. . . :eek:

ROFL ROFL

Deberg_1990 08-18-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 14399830)
I'm not sure how to solve this problem. We can blame the studios, but as long as people are willing to shell out ridiculous amounts of dollars to see mediocre remakes (see: all the live-action Disney remakes...) and won't go into theaters for anything new, challenging or unfamiliar, the only shit that's ever going to get bankrolled is bullshit like this. Because they have a pretty good idea that all the people who saw and loved movies in the 80s and 90s are now grownups and likely to see a remake out of nostalgia, and if they won't, their kids probably will, because they've heard about how awesome it is all of their lives.

Its interesting that the Dumbo remake sorta flopped and the Aladdin and Lion King remakes made huge money.

Most 40 and unders have little to no attachment to Dumbo.

Baby Lee 08-25-2022 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 14399743)

It's finally wending its way to reality, only with Jon Hamm, not Sudekis, or McCarthy or Reynolds. . .

<iframe width="820" height="461" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/imn_gHwvUmc" title="CONFESS, FLETCH Trailer (2022) Jon Hamm, Comedy Movie" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

listopencil 08-26-2022 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14399661)

If, and only if, there was a terrific script and a few great actors with a talented director/producer combo that all lined up to do a movie about Rick and Capt. Renault having ridiculous adventures together through Europe during WW2. I would give that a shot. That's the only interesting story left to tell and it's not worth it unless it's done in spectacular fashion.

displacedinMN 08-26-2022 07:12 AM

boycott all reboots

Buehler445 08-26-2022 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 16429697)
If, and only if, there was a terrific script and a few great actors with a talented director/producer combo that all lined up to do a movie about Rick and Capt. Renault having ridiculous adventures together through Europe during WW2. I would give that a shot. That's the only interesting story left to tell and it's not worth it unless it's done in spectacular fashion.

**** it I'm in for that. I'm a total Stan for John Hamm though.

MarkDavis'Haircut 08-26-2022 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx (Post 14395527)

Studios were doing remakes and reboots in the 1920s and 1930s.

I am not a fan but if the reboot is done well, I can tolerate it.

lawrenceRaider 08-26-2022 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14395670)

There is a P7 for sale at my LGS, and I've been struggling against going in and taking it home.

BigRedChief 08-27-2022 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 16429697)

yep, what happened in Casablanca is over but there is a WW going on. They could have them do anything they want in the war. It’s wide open.

Until these reboots stop making a $1 Billion, they will keep getting made.

RaidersOftheCellar 08-28-2022 11:55 AM

I understand that most remakes/reboots happen for the benjamins. But I don't get why a director more interested in making art would want to remake a classic movie. Like Guillermo del Toro's Nightmare Alley. It doesn't improve on the original in any way, or stand alone as a great movie in its own right. Same with Cape Fear and a host of others.

It makes a lot more sense to remake movies with great premises that weren't executed well.

Bowser 08-28-2022 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14395760)
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/ToMjGpx9F5ktZw8qPUQ" width="480" height="392" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/the-office-no-michael-scott-ToMjGpx9F5ktZw8qPUQ">via GIPHY</a></p>

bump

Pepe Silvia 08-28-2022 07:09 PM

Did anyone load up on Twinkies?

listopencil 08-29-2022 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 16429774)
**** it I'm in for that. I'm a total Stan for John Hamm though.

I think Hamm could pull it off.

listopencil 08-29-2022 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16432630)
yep, what happened in Casablanca is over but there is a WW going on. They could have them do anything they want in the war. It’s wide open.

Until these reboots stop making a $1 Billion, they will keep getting made.

Might be fun as a TV series if it was well done.

BigRedChief 08-29-2022 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 16433700)
Might be fun as a TV series if it was well done.

Yep, start of a beautiful friendship. One of the most memorable lines in movies. Where did that friendship go?

Citizens rising up to resist the Nazis. That's a wide open story.

listopencil 08-29-2022 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16433759)
Yep, start of a beautiful friendship. One of the most memorable lines in movies. Where did that friendship go?

I can see it now. The opening sequence of the first episode is a crane shot of Rick saying goodbye to Ilsa. They are just figures in the distance and you can't hear the conversation. Very, very slow zoom in with a subdued orchestral version of As Time Goes By and no dialogue at all as that scene plays out. By the time the view has zoomed in enough for the actors to fill the screen, Rick is walking into that shack to talk to Captain Renault and that conversation is the first dialogue you hear - exactly as it was in the movie. That scene plays out but it's a wider shot from behind the Nazi officer's car (very different from the movie) so that you can see every detail of the action, since the gun shot isn't going to surprise anyone. The scene plays through to the completion of the movie except that Rick and Renault don't walk by the camera so you don't end up seeing them from behind going into the next adventure, the camera stays in front of them (even when they look up at the airplane taking off) and they continue walking into the camera as Rick says the famous line before a fade to black.

Frazod 08-29-2022 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 16433759)

Few remember it, but this has been tried and failed miserably. Casablanca was made into a series in 1983, starring David Soul of Starsky and Hutch fame as Rick. It actually had a pretty good supporting cast - Hector Elizondo as Louie, Scatman Crothers as Sam, and even a young Ray Liotta as Sacha. It was, however, considered sacrilege by many fans of the film, including young Frazod (Casablanca has been my favorite movie since childhood), bombed in the ratings, and was quickly cancelled. According to IMDb, of the six episodes shot, only four were ever aired. I never watched any of them. Bastards.

As far as what happened to Rick and Louie after the events depicted in the film, there was a never-shot script penned called "Brazzaville," the location of the Free French garrison that Louie suggests he and Sam go to in the closing scene. You can read about it here if you give a crap.

https://www.blackgate.com/2020/04/27/428025/