ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Pellet Grills (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=322824)

Buehler445 05-08-2019 10:13 AM

Pellet Grills

My old LP grill is to the point where it needs parts or needs to go. The wife is thinking a pellet grill might be better for her to use.

I thought there was a thread on here about them, but the one I could dig up is over a decade old.

What are you guys running these days? Pros/Cons?

I don't know much about anything except Traegers and people I know have had trouble with them.

I'd PROBABLY be leaving it outside so I'd need a cover for it.

IowaHawkeyeChief 05-08-2019 10:15 AM

I got a Traeger during prime days last year. We really like it. Variety of cooking and smoking. However, it does take longer to heat up and isn't as convenient.

Dunit35 05-08-2019 10:16 AM

I have a Traeger. Works well, doesn’t get above 350 though. If you want sear marks you’re not getting it on a Traeger, at least on mine anyways. I’ve had it for five or so years, without any mechanical issues.

I will be glad when it dies though. I want a Yoder Pellet grill. Made in Hutchinson, KS. Expensive, can cold smoke, sear. It’s been a while since I’ve researched them so maybe they’ve changed in the quality department.

tomahawkchop25 05-08-2019 10:18 AM

I've had a Green Mountain for a couple of years and absolutely love it.

BIG_DADDY 05-08-2019 10:23 AM

Traegers rock. Make sure you cover them though as the pellets turn to concrete and destroy the grill.

BIG_DADDY 05-08-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35 (Post 14258537)
I have a Traeger. Works well, doesn’t get above 350 though. If you want sear marks you’re not getting it on a Traeger, at least on mine anyways. I’ve had it for five or so years, without any mechanical issues.

I will be glad when it dies though. I want a Yoder Pellet grill. Made in Hutchinson, KS. Expensive, can cold smoke, sear. It’s been a while since I’ve researched them so maybe they’ve changed in the quality department.

Holy crap that is expensive.

In58men 05-08-2019 10:26 AM

Weber Smokey Mountain hands down.

You’ll also save a shit ton of money

Dante84 05-08-2019 10:33 AM

My Traeger is awesome.

arrowheadnation 05-08-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomahawkchop25 (Post 14258543)

Yep. I have a Green Mountain Daniel Boone. Picked it over the Treager because it gets to 400 degrees. I have never had any issues with it in 3 years. I also bought a set of Grill Grates for mine...perfect grill lines. That being said, if I had the money, I would have bought a Yoder. Very high quality. Very expensive.

okiedokieokoye 05-08-2019 10:36 AM

The timing of this thread is so bizarre. After weeks of debating if we wanted to spend the money on a grill we don't really need (I have a fully functional Chargriller), we decided to pull the trigger on a Camp Chef Magnum Dual Function. It had some amazing features. The smoker obviously, a slide handle that lets you switch from direct heat to indirect heat on the grill, 2 built in thermometers, a viewing window for both the grill and the hopper and a bottle opener for your beer. I get it on Monday and I'm so excited to try it out!

notorious 05-08-2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35 (Post 14258537)

I am about to blow your mind, Dunit. Look by the dial of your Traeger, there will be a little recessed “reset” button. Grab an ink pen or I use my thermometer, and push it. That sets the “p” number, which controls the speed at which your grill distributes pellets. Set that ****er to p-0 and you will get to around 460-475.

notorious 05-08-2019 10:45 AM

I had a Louisiana Grill. **** that thing with irrigation pipe. It jammed, set on fire, you name it.

I went with a Traeger. We grill 3-4 times a week, smoke at least once, and I have never had a problem over the last 3-4 years. My dad has a first gen Traeger that’s rusted out, and it still works well just fine.

I don’t know why people say they have problems with them. We’re just lucky I guess.

BryanBusby 05-08-2019 10:53 AM

I think Traegar's are alright, but not worth what you're spending. Have heard a lot of good things about rectec grills.

Quote:

FIL has a GMG Daniel Boone with the wifi and really seems to still like it years later.

srvy 05-08-2019 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 14258551)
Traegers rock. Make sure you cover them though as the pellets turn to concrete and destroy the grill.

They all have that problem. Pellets get wet then sit and setup like concrete in the feedtube.

The other problem or at least with mine is the hot rod ignitor burning out or the in line fuse blowing. All above easy fixes.

srvy 05-08-2019 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 14258563)
Weber Smokey Mountain hands down.

You’ll also save a shit ton of money

Yep tried and true and no electric motors and fans to go bad.

Why Not? 05-08-2019 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 14258585)
My Traeger is awesome.

This.

SAUTO 05-08-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14258530)
My old LP grill is to the point where it needs parts or needs to go. The wife is thinking a pellet grill might be better for her to use.

I thought there was a thread on here about them, but the one I could dig up is over a decade old.

What are you guys running these days? Pros/Cons?

I don't know much about anything except Traegers and people I know have had trouble with them.

I'd PROBABLY be leaving it outside so I'd need a cover for it.

go buy a couple and let me know which one you like best. I'm thinking of going this route too

ChiTown 05-08-2019 11:32 AM

I have one of these -Yoder YS640, except it's a drop in. I love it.

https://www.atbbq.com/media/catalog/...acs-wifi-6.jpg

BryanBusby 05-08-2019 11:34 AM

If anyone has any experience with PitBoss grills, feel free to chime in. The one with the 60 lb pellet hopper has had my attention for a minute.

SAUTO 05-08-2019 11:34 AM

I think you need a yoder beuhler...

OmahaChief 05-08-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 14258647)
I think Traegar's are alright, but not worth what you're spending. Have heard a lot of good things about rectec grills.

FIL has a GMG Daniel Boone with the wifi and really seems to still like it years later.

Love my GMG Daniel Boone. I have made some really good stuff in that bad boy. Consistent and easy to use if you don't have the time or want to tend to a stick burner.

okiedokieokoye 05-08-2019 11:38 AM

So us out in here in California have to worry about something called Prop 65 which is a list of things that have been known to cause cancer. Wood dust is on this list...and the bags of Wood Pellets have this warning on them. Having never used a pellet grill before, is this an actual concern I should have? Is there a ton of wood dust floating around? I would think it would all burn off.

ChiefsHawk 05-08-2019 11:39 AM

I would highly suggest looking at a Rec Tec. They can get up to 500 degrees which most pg cant. Wife and I got the bull last year and it is very well built. We love the thing

https://www.rectecgrills.com/bull-rt...-pellet-grill/

BryanBusby 05-08-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okiedokieokoye (Post 14258770)
So us out in here in California have to worry about something called Prop 65 which is a list of things that have been known to cause cancer. Wood dust is on this list...and the bags of Wood Pellets have this warning on them. Having never used a pellet grill before, is this an actual concern I should have? Is there a ton of wood dust floating around? I would think it would all burn off.

I don't think it'd be any more or less risky than being around Wifi signals and what not.

ChiefsHawk 05-08-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okiedokieokoye (Post 14258770)

They think everything causes cancer out there. No I'd have no concern with wood pellets

ChiefsHawk 05-08-2019 11:42 AM

Here's a great forum I also use.

https://pelletfan.com/

In58men 05-08-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 14258678)
Yep tried and true and no electric motors and fans to go bad.

Yep, built to last. Don’t have to worry about parts failing during a cook.

Sorce 05-08-2019 11:59 AM

I got the rec tec stampede a few weeks ago. Loving it.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-0wl5...=2&imbypass=on

One of my concerns was if it could replace my gas grill for searing. I ordered the grill grates with it and get better sear than my gas grill ever has. My temp generally stays +/- 2 degrees of where it is set. The wifi for the probes is awesome, I can check on the temps from wherever I am in the house. I have mine covered so being able to turn it on remotely isn't that big of a deal.

I was sold on the construction and quality of the components.

kepp 05-08-2019 12:01 PM

I have a Pit Boss pellet grill and its been great. No complaints what-so-ever.

RockChalk 05-08-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

This. GMG is far superior to Traeger. I can get mine up to 500, no problem, and their customer service is second to none. I messed up and let mine get soaked in a rainstorm, allowing the auger to get filled with wet pellets, which expanded and turn to cement (basically). I called them and they sent me a whole new auger unit with easy to install instructions.

Having used/owned both, I would recommend GMG over Traeger

R Clark 05-08-2019 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 14258616)
I am about to blow your mind, Dunit. Look by the dial of your Traeger, there will be a little recessed “reset” button. Grab an ink pen or I use my thermometer, and push it. That sets the “p” number, which controls the speed at which your grill distributes pellets. Set that ****er to p-0 and you will get to around 460-475.

Thanks a lot for heads ! Mine gets hot enough to leave grill marks, but could use more heat.according to temp gauge it gets to 430 . Haven’t checked it to see if accurate or not

Fire Me Boy! 05-08-2019 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsHawk (Post 14258771)
I would highly suggest looking at a Rec Tec. They can get up to 500 degrees which most pg cant. Wife and I got the bull last year and it is very well built. We love the thing

I just bought a Rec Tec Stampede maybe a month ago. Love this thing already. I did a ton of research deciding, and I think the RT is the Cadillac of pellet grills.

And the get hotter than 500. The dial goes to "low" (around 180) and 5 degree increments from 200-500, then "high" (I've gotten mine around 550).

They're built like tanks, and the warranty is good. Stampede is 4 years, Bull is 6.

And support is outstanding. I know a guy who had a problem on a weekend and got a call from the owner. They're in Augusta, GA, and just the best people to work with.

ChiefsHawk 05-08-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 14258936)
I just bought a Rec Tec Stampede maybe a month ago. Love this thing already. I did a ton of research deciding, and I think the RT is the Cadillac of pellet grills.

And the get hotter than 500. The dial goes to "low" (around 180) and 5 degree increments from 200-500, then "high" (I've gotten mine around 550).

They're built like tanks, and the warranty is good. Stampede is 4 years, Bull is 6.

And support is outstanding. I know a guy who had a problem on a weekend and got a call from the owner. They're in Augusta, GA, and just the best people to work with.

I'll never buy another brand again that's for sure

chop 05-08-2019 01:17 PM

Quote:

I bought a Rec Tec around Christmas time, so I haven't used it a whole lot yet. However, I did use it a couple of times when the weather was around 20 degrees, and the rec tec kept a consistent temp during the long cook. The brisket turned out pretty good too.

Shaid 05-08-2019 01:23 PM

The Woodwind is the one I've been considering for a while now. It has a searbox, etc. on it which I like.

https://www.campchef.com/woodwind.ht...ndGrills-Exact

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1MUCJj3slL.jpg

BryanBusby 05-08-2019 01:28 PM

I don't think I'd bother with a CampChef again.

Dayze 05-08-2019 01:32 PM

I'm buying a grill in the near future; debating on getting a grill and a smoker; or just getting a WSM.

I like the convenience of a gas grill so I might do gas grill and get the WSM.
Hmmm.

Shaid 05-08-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 14258985)
I don't think I'd bother with a CampChef again.

Bad experience with their pellet grills?

dirk digler 05-08-2019 01:34 PM

I was thinking about getting a GMG because I have heard very good things about them so I went to a local store the other day that has the Daniel Boone and my first thought was how flimsy it was. I passed so I am still looking. I am considering the Pit Boss Pro Smoker that Lowe's has.

Fire Me Boy! 05-08-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsHawk (Post 14258949)
I'll never buy another brand again that's for sure

Have you tried any of their rubs? I've tried the Heifer Dust and the Front Row Master Blend. That Heifer Dust is amazing. I just won a prize pack from them and getting one of all their rubs, but what I've had so far is great.

Sorce 05-08-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 14258936)

Yeah your experience with it convinced me to go that way. I have been extremely happy. One big difference between the GMG, Rec Tec, Yoder and Grilla are they all have a PID controller. This allows the grills to hold a much tighter temp range than the others. I also liked the full SS inside of the RecTec.

Fire Me Boy! 05-08-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorce (Post 14259002)
Yeah your experience with it convinced me to go that way. I have been extremely happy. One big difference between the GMG, Rec Tec, Yoder and Grilla are they all have a PID controller. This allows the grills to hold a much tighter temp range than the others. I also liked the full SS inside of the RecTec.

Yeah, I've been super impressed. The app has a temp tracker graph. Overnight when I did a brisket, it never strayed more than 2 degrees for about 10 hours.

BryanBusby 05-08-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaid (Post 14258997)
Bad experience with their pellet grills?

There's another user that seemed to love his, but I didn't care for it. The one I had ate through pellets like crazy and I ended up finding out it was because the temps weren't being kept consistent so it was overcompensating in hopes of keeping the grill at whatever I had it set at. The hopper design is also a little odd and it won't use up all the pellets in the hopper unless you open it up towards the end and keep scraping them towards the feeder.

I've heard a pretty mixed bag of reviews on all the models. One person said they kept getting bad probe after bad probe, but CS was happy to keep sending another to them forever and ever.

cron912 05-08-2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

Agreed, do yourself a favor and get a Rec Tec.

Then when I come back to visit my parents you can grill me up something good. :D

ChiefsHawk 05-08-2019 01:45 PM

I've never heard a bad thing about Rec Tec. IF something goes wrong they'll get it corrected. Plus a 6 year warranty is amazing

Dunit35 05-08-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 14258616)

Guess I’ll mess with it. I don’t care about a sear but I know some people do.

Fire Me Boy! 05-08-2019 01:50 PM

.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0a5f7b519c.jpg

Buehler445 05-08-2019 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 14258628)
I had a Louisiana Grill. **** that thing with irrigation pipe. It jammed, set on fire, you name it.

I went with a Traeger. We grill 3-4 times a week, smoke at least once, and I have never had a problem over the last 3-4 years. My dad has a first gen Traeger that’s rusted out, and it still works well just fine.

I don’t know why people say they have problems with them. We’re just lucky I guess.

My parents have one. They've burned through like 4 igniters a control unit and at least one auger motor.

My buddy has one and has better luck but he burned out a temperature controller.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 14258755)
go buy a couple and let me know which one you like best. I'm thinking of going this route too

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 14258764)
I think you need a yoder beuhler...

SAUTO, you must love to spend my money ROFL

tooge 05-08-2019 02:17 PM

I'm going to pull the trigger on the Grilla (grillagrills.com). I like the small footprint. I like that it drops the pellets into the fire tub instead of pushing them through which is a cleanout issue to me. I like the sliding lid feature. The round shape renders no hot spots, and moving it around is a breeze. Reviews say it gets up to 500 degrees, and it has a removable plate if searing beyond that is needed. Plus, it's got plenty of space on it for me with it's second rack. Finally, a great warranty and made here in the US. Amazingribs.com and several other smoking sites have all given it great marks.

ChiefsHawk 05-08-2019 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 14259001)
Have you tried any of their rubs? I've tried the Heifer Dust and the Front Row Master Blend. That Heifer Dust is amazing. I just won a prize pack from them and getting one of all their rubs, but what I've had so far is great.

I have not. I'll have to do that when I order the cold smoker

srvy 05-08-2019 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 14259000)
I was thinking about getting a GMG because I have heard very good things about them so I went to a local store the other day that has the Daniel Boone and my first thought was how flimsy it was. I passed so I am still looking. I am considering the Pit Boss Pro Smoker that Lowe's has.

Yeah my lowes has a fairly good display of Pit Boss from entry to deluxe. They have upped their game with build quality and heavier gauge steel than I remembered the first I seen them many years ago at Sams Club.

I have a Camp Chef Smoke Pro SE entry level for a couple years now I have no regrets but I got it for a song on Walmart closeout. I haven't had the problems that BrianBusby speaks of. But its my first pellet grill maybe I got lucky or just have nothing to compare it to. I do know I have a lot of camp chef gear and quality wise its what Coleman used to be when the old man was alive. Just mt 2 cent's.

dirk digler 05-08-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 14259078)
I'm going to pull the trigger on the Grilla (grillagrills.com). I like the small footprint. I like that it drops the pellets into the fire tub instead of pushing them through which is a cleanout issue to me. I like the sliding lid feature. The round shape renders no hot spots, and moving it around is a breeze. Reviews say it gets up to 500 degrees, and it has a removable plate if searing beyond that is needed. Plus, it's got plenty of space on it for me with it's second rack. Finally, a great warranty and made here in the US. Amazingribs.com and several other smoking sites have all given it great marks.

Wow I like that one. After reading this thread I was leading toward the Rec Tec Trailblazer but now...

dirk digler 05-08-2019 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 14259086)
Yeah my lowes has a fairly good display of Pit Boss from entry to deluxe. They have upped their game with build quality and heavier gauge steel than I remembered the first I seen them many years ago at Sams Club.

I have a Camp Chef Smoke Pro SE entry level for a couple years now I have no regrets but I got it for a song on Walmart closeout. I haven't had the problems that BrianBusby speaks of. But its my first pellet grill maybe I got lucky or just have nothing to compare it to. I do know I have a lot of camp chef gear and quality wise its what Coleman used to be when the old man was alive. Just mt 2 cent's.

Pit Boss has pretty good reviews and I only really need a smoker since I have a griddle now which I use exclusively. But these pellet grills are intriguing me.

tooge 05-08-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 14259155)
Pit Boss has pretty good reviews and I only really need a smoker since I have a griddle now which I use exclusively. But these pellet grills are intriguing me.

I was always the purist. I did the comp bbq thing for 20 years. I own a WSM, and believe that even today, it's the best pure smoker on the market. Now that I've done it that way all these years, I want the ease of the pellet system. With all the time I've spend managing temps, fires, and wood, I'm no longer worried about people thinking I'm not a purist or that I'm taking shortcuts. I'll keep my old weber kettle around just because, but just like VCR's and cassettes, I think something better is just available these days.

srvy 05-08-2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 14259177)
I was always the purist. I did the comp bbq thing for 20 years. I own a WSM, and believe that even today, it's the best pure smoker on the market. Now that I've done it that way all these years, I want the ease of the pellet system. With all the time I've spend managing temps, fires, and wood, I'm no longer worried about people thinking I'm not a purist or that I'm taking shortcuts. I'll keep my old weber kettle around just because, but just like VCR's and cassettes, I think something better is just available these days.

Me to I use the pellet as a convenience to grill some chicken quikly for me and the kids. Ill be damned if ill smoke my 60 buck packer in it though. I trust my WSM to not fail me and give a great smokey flavor.

Fire Me Boy! 05-08-2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 14259204)
Me to I use the pellet as a convenience to grill some chicken quikly for me and the kids. Ill be damned if ill smoke my 60 buck packer in it though. I trust my WSM to not fail me and give a great smokey flavor.

Hmm. My brisket came out great on the RT. Ribs came out even better.

srvy 05-08-2019 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 14259211)
Hmm. My brisket came out great on the RT. Ribs came out even better.

I am a creature of habit I stick with what I know works for me. I have never been satisfied with flavor of the smoke with pellets. When I first got the pellet grill I tried every pellet under the sun and none gave me the flavor that charcoal and wood chunks do so when I get serious its the wsm or my box smoker with wood chips or chunk.

theoldcoach 05-08-2019 05:19 PM

Love my Traeger. And by adjusting the p stop I can get 475 degrees out of it. Rarely do.....or want to. But I can if necessary.

notorious 05-08-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Clark (Post 14258864)
Thanks a lot for heads ! Mine gets hot enough to leave grill marks, but could use more heat.according to temp gauge it gets to 430 . Haven’t checked it to see if accurate or not

It works well the other way, too. Sometimes smoking just doesn’t want to go to the temp I want, so I’ll adjust it to a slower cycle.

notorious 05-08-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14259034)
My parents have one. They've burned through like 4 igniters a control unit and at least one auger motor.

My buddy has one and has better luck but he burned out a temperature controller.

Jesus. I guess we are just lucky.

Oh, igniters are similar in all smokers. Always have one on hand when they go out.

Strongside 05-08-2019 06:17 PM

We cook on Gateway drums for comps, but I have a Yoder YS 640 at home. That thing is a freaking BEAST. Gets hot enough to sear, has a griddle attachment. It’s phenomenal]

farmerchief 05-08-2019 06:40 PM

We have a traeger, going on our second one. Since it's just the wife and I now, we downsized to a smaller unit. We've replaced auger motors, igniters, general maintenance stuff, not bad. We've had a traeger of some model for over 20 years. Wife loves it, and rarely cooks inside, if she can help it.

O.city 05-08-2019 06:43 PM

I have a hasty bake that I’ve had for 4 years. It’s charcoal but I love it. It was t cheap but I’ve taken care of it pretty well and it’s holding up nicely

https://www.hastybake.com/

Bwana 05-08-2019 07:04 PM

This is what I have, love it.

https://www.yodersmokers.com/ys640-pellet-grill.html

Bwana 05-08-2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14259034)

Trust me, they are worth it. I had a Treager and had nothing but problems. I took it back to Costco, go my money back and bought the Yoder.

srvy 05-08-2019 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14259473)
I have a hasty bake that I’ve had for 4 years. It’s charcoal but I love it. It was t cheap but I’ve taken care of it pretty well and it’s holding up nicely

https://www.hastybake.com/

Holy heck batman the size of that meat on those old grills in that homepage. Just wow.

notorious 05-08-2019 07:56 PM

Just checked out Yoder grills.....backed out of page carefully......

JFC, does food taste any better from one of those? Mother ****er better take mystery meat and turn it into a ****ing Wagyu steak for that price.

Buehler445 05-08-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 14259511)
Trust me, they are worth it. I had a Treager and had nothing but problems. I took it back to Costco, go my money back and bought the Yoder.

You must have missed the post where he told me to buy all of them and make a recommendation for him LOL

ChiTown 05-08-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 14259504)

We are grill bro’s :D

I absolutely love mine. It’s idiot proof, which is perfect for me...

Randallflagg 05-08-2019 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theoldcoach (Post 14259365)
Love my Traeger. And by adjusting the p stop I can get 475 degrees out of it. Rarely do.....or want to. But I can if necessary.

Yep - I love mine as well - does a great job.. :thumb:

Buehler445 05-08-2019 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 14259641)
Just checked out Yoder grills.....backed out of page carefully......

JFC, does food taste any better from one of those? Mother ****er better take mystery meat and turn it into a ****ing Wagyu steak for that price.

Yeah man. I looked over all the materials on them and fuuuuuck that’s a lot of money. Looks like a good rig, but I don’t know if I could get the value out of it.

Leaning Rectec. I’ll talk to the wife about it.

Sorce 05-09-2019 10:24 AM

What pellets are people using? Ordered 200lbs with my rec tec so that will last me a while but just wondering people's opinions on other brands / mixes?

Fire Me Boy! 05-09-2019 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorce (Post 14260508)
What pellets are people using? Ordered 200lbs with my rec tec so that will last me a while but just wondering people's opinions on other brands / mixes?

I've heard a lot about Lumberjack. I'm also still using what I got with my Stampede.

ChiefsHawk 05-09-2019 11:25 AM

Lumberjack is good. Just make sure its 100% of the wood you desire

Fire Me Boy! 05-09-2019 12:21 PM

I've also heard good things about Cookin Pellets. I've heard that's where Rec Tec sources theirs, as a matter of fact.

Also heard good things about Pit Boss pellets.

BryanBusby 05-09-2019 12:24 PM

I've used the PitBoss competition blend pellets. They're only $15 for a 40 lb bag and work pretty well.

Fire Me Boy! 05-09-2019 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 14260773)
I've used the PitBoss competition blend pellets. They're only $15 for a 40 lb bag and work pretty well.

How's the dust and broken pellets in it?

58-4ever 05-09-2019 12:34 PM

Traeger... is awesome.

Sorce 05-09-2019 12:35 PM

Has anyone used smokehouse before? Sams sells those, they seem to have generally positive reviews.

okiedokieokoye 05-09-2019 12:36 PM

Are we against the competition "blends"?